Pumpkin AE0273B - Android 8.0 - 4GB+ROM:32GB

Search This thread

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Website/Info page: https://www.autopumpkin.com/pumpkin...screen-octa-core-with-gps-navi-bluetooth.html

I ordered this off their website since it was cheaper than ebay/amazon by $30-$40 dollars. $309. Because my order was delayed as they waited for new units, they offered me an ODB connector (which did not arrive with the unit).

I received the new unit that claims Android 8.0 last week and had it installed today. So far, so good. However, I think its actually running 6.0 (based on a selection of icons offering me Marshmallow 6.0 option). The install went fine except for the canbus adapter I bought off Amazon did not work, so I've asked their support for help in what would allow me to use steering wheel controls. The mic they supplied has a cable that was only half as long as I needed to get up to my mirror, so its mounted on the dash and the clip is very small and wouldnt have worked anyways.

I've loaded up Nova Launcher with a bunch of widgets and installed Spotify, XM Radio, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Scanner Pro, Chamberlain MyQ, Swiftkey Keyboard, Transparent Weather and Waze. I am using a Personal Hotspot on an iPhone (AT&T) and a Galaxy S7 (Samsung). The location for time zone wouldnt pick up mine, it kept defaulting to China and I had to manually set them to my time zone.

Resolution is very sharp. It's pretty snappy and I've had no problems listening to whatever audio app I want while using Waze.

The unit did hang when I went through an area of bad cell coverage and had to be turned off and turned back on to get working again. I also noticed a slight wine through the radio that I believe is linked to the Live Wallpaper I was trying out. When I went to a blank screen, the noise went mostly away. I havent been able to get "Ok, Waze" to work yet (three finger tap works). I have yet to try Ok, Google. The unit boots quick after the first boot up (right away really, much faster than my Alpine unit in another car).

I installed this in a 2012 Ford F150 - I already have a rear camera in my rear view mirror, so I dont have one hooked up to the unit. I am using a powered JL subwoofer and separate Rockford Fosgate amp for my speakers. I do have a slight alternator whine when I have the volume turned all the way down.

Last edited:

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Advertised: SKU: AE0273B OS: Android 8.0 Oreo CPU: Octa -core CPU Processor 1.5 GHz RAM: DDR3 4GB Nand Memory: 32GB Radio IC: NXP TEF6686 Bluetooth: BT 4.0 Boot time(2nd time): about 1s Screen Size: 7-Inch Digital Screen Resolution: 1024*600

Settings
----------
Model: px5
Android Version: 8.0.0
Android security patch level: October 5th, 2017

Kernel Version: 4.4.93+
rocky@mctr930 #108
Thu Jan 25 17:07:43 CST 2018

Build number: px5-userdebug 8.0.0.OPR5 170623.007 eng hct 20180126 120432 test keys
MCU version: MTCE_KLD_V2.78_1
Jan 16 2018 19:19:56

CPU: 8 core 64-bit CPU Coretex-A53 @ 1.5G
Memory: 3891 MB

Attachments

• cameringo_20180313_094522.jpg
    cameringo_20180313_094522.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 5,900
  • cameringo_20180313_094506.jpg
    cameringo_20180313_094506.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 5,931
Last edited:
Reactions: omniajet13
Hey now! Researching for a friend that just decided to replace HU. Very interested - please keep reviews and details coming!
Couple questions for you now please? :)
1. Volume knob - responsive/no lag? (for the wife..)
2. FM radio reception is good? (also wife)
3. Aux video out (to headrest screens) - typical composite (yellow RCA) out?
3.1 All content to aux (ie mirrors the HU display) or only certain content/apps? (or can choose?)

And last question regarding tech support / Pumpkin
4. Do you have any experience with them and their tech support? Would you call them: awesome/great/ok/meh/****? Their support?

Thank you.

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Hey now! Researching for a friend that just decided to replace HU. Very interested - please keep reviews and details coming!
Couple questions for you now please? :)
1. Volume knob - responsive/no lag? (for the wife..)
2. FM radio reception is good? (also wife)
3. Aux video out (to headrest screens) - typical composite (yellow RCA) out?
3.1 All content to aux (ie mirrors the HU display) or only certain content/apps? (or can choose?)

And last question regarding tech support / Pumpkin
4. Do you have any experience with them and their tech support? Would you call them: awesome/great/ok/meh/****? Their support?

Thank you.

1. Yes, volume works, is responsive with no lag.
2. I only played a couple of stations, but no reception issues (when I was out of cell coverage, I switched to radio no issues)
3. There are two yellow RCA video outs (see product page)
3.1 I don't know the answer to this since I didn't use these features.
4. They are on a 12-hour clock from us, so answers are usually next morning and I've always gotten a response next business day. I would call it "better than expected:. I wrote about the missing ODB connector and they wrote to say its on the way.

Reactions: jackfrost909
1. Yes, volume works, is responsive with no lag.
2. I only played a couple of stations, but no reception issues (when I was out of cell coverage, I switched to radio no issues)
3. There are two yellow RCA video outs (see product page)
3.1 I don't know the answer to this since I didn't use these features.
4. They are on a 12-hour clock from us, so answers are usually next morning and I've always gotten a response next business day. I would call it "better than expected:. I wrote about the missing ODB connector and they wrote to say its on the way.

Great info man, thank you!
Hope you put up more experiences with it. Watching with great interest..

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Overall, I am really enjoying this unit - its very responsive and the instant on is a great feature. The only thing I havent yet resolved is the 3-4 minute delay in connecting to an already powered on hotspot. Ive turned off notification of open wifis to see if that helps and will try turning off and on the hotspot. Basically I put an iPhone 8 Plus in the glove box with it plugged in for power so its running all the time - once a day I have to enable the hotspot, but its always on when I start the truck up. Just annoying it takes so long to connect to it.

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Correct, I switched right away to Nova (paid) as I use that on my phone. I've done just about everything I do on my phone here - widgets, etc.

mswguitar

Apr 14, 2009
Las Vegas
Thank you for the update on this unit! I have an older model pumpkin stereo running 4.4 and it has gotten very laggy. I've tried factory resets to no avail (I'm using a customer ROM though). The lag is mostly on Google Maps (very slow to start and bring up navigation) and Pandora (plays okay but starts skipping near the end of songs).

I'm really thinking of upgrading to this unit. Since I had the older model, I bet I can just swap the head unit and keep all of the existing wiring. I really like the idea of the 1 second boot-up. With my current unit, it takes me at least 1-2 minutes to get music going (after boot-up, slow app startup, etc).

Can you tell me if Google Maps/navigation is okay? And Pandora?

Looks like the unit is avalable on AliExpress for $290:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...er-GPS-Navigation-4GB/612847_32853310272.html

It's even a little cheaper through their mobile app with coupons (about $281).

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Can you tell me if Google Maps/navigation is okay? And Pandora?

Google Maps is fine, although I am using Waze mostly. I will probably download an offline google map just for backup. I have Pandora installed, but have not yet used it - Spotify and XM Radio apps work as expected. I'll try out Pandora on my way home today and let you know.

If you can get it for $290, I'd say its a heck of a deal and worth the upgrade for sure.

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
Pandora and iHeartRadio also work perfectly; no lag.

I'm still trying to get my iPhone hotspot to crank up quicker - strange that the unit can see WiFi all around me right away, but the iPhone takes longer to recognize. I'll try my Verizon S7 Edge to see if thats any different.

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011

I'm still trying to get my iPhone hotspot to crank up quicker - strange that the unit can see WiFi all around me right away, but the iPhone takes longer to recognize. I'll try my Verizon S7 Edge to see if thats any different.

packetjunkie

Feb 23, 2011
I have resolved the connection delay with my iPhone - it was an issue with the phone. I finally found a post that suggested having an apostrophe in the phone's name interfered with its discovery. When I removed it, the phone now picks up the hotspot wifi pretty quickly (starts connecting in seconds and obtains an IP).

Reactions: mswguitar

mswguitar

Apr 14, 2009
Las Vegas

I have resolved the connection delay with my iPhone - it was an issue with the phone. I finally found a post that suggested having an apostrophe in the phone's name interfered with its discovery. When I removed it, the phone now picks up the hotspot wifi pretty quickly (starts connecting in seconds and obtains an IP).

Thank you for checking! I just ordered the unit from Aliexpress, got it for $281 after discounts.

Good to know about the wifi. I also tether my current stereo to my phone so it's good to know there are no issues with the head unit in that regard.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Website/Info page: https://www.autopumpkin.com/pumpkin...screen-octa-core-with-gps-navi-bluetooth.html

I ordered this off their website since it was cheaper than ebay/amazon by $30-$40 dollars. $309. Because my order was delayed as they waited for new units, they offered me an ODB connector (which did not arrive with the unit).

I received the new unit that claims Android 8.0 last week and had it installed today. So far, so good. However, I think its actually running 6.0 (based on a selection of icons offering me Marshmallow 6.0 option). The install went fine except for the canbus adapter I bought off Amazon did not work, so I've asked their support for help in what would allow me to use steering wheel controls. The mic they supplied has a cable that was only half as long as I needed to get up to my mirror, so its mounted on the dash and the clip is very small and wouldnt have worked anyways.

I've loaded up Nova Launcher with a bunch of widgets and installed Spotify, XM Radio, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Scanner Pro, Chamberlain MyQ, Swiftkey Keyboard, Transparent Weather and Waze. I am using a Personal Hotspot on an iPhone (AT&T) and a Galaxy S7 (Samsung). The location for time zone wouldnt pick up mine, it kept defaulting to China and I had to manually set them to my time zone.

Resolution is very sharp. It's pretty snappy and I've had no problems listening to whatever audio app I want while using Waze.

The unit did hang when I went through an area of bad cell coverage and had to be turned off and turned back on to get working again. I also noticed a slight wine through the radio that I believe is linked to the Live Wallpaper I was trying out. When I went to a blank screen, the noise went mostly away. I havent been able to get "Ok, Waze" to work yet (three finger tap works). I have yet to try Ok, Google. The unit boots quick after the first boot up (right away really, much faster than my Alpine unit in another car).

I installed this in a 2012 Ford F150 - I already have a rear camera in my rear view mirror, so I dont have one hooked up to the unit. I am using a powered JL subwoofer and separate Rockford Fosgate amp for my speakers. I do have a slight alternator whine when I have the volume turned all the way down.
    This thread

It roots the unit before installing the rom. There are lots of things that have been done to the rom. Alot of theming of different apps (like the radio app). Bluetooth fixes. And lots of other stuff. Have a look and follow the instructions to the letter if you dive in!
    It's an MTCD/E head unit, specifically a Klyde (KLD) PX5.

See relevant MTCD forums for all the info.
    Another happy owner of the new Oreo unit from Pumpkin

I ordered mine from ali express and paid $286.
    Got the DAB+ module although I have no use for it here in the States. Also got OBDII WIFI module and a 3G dongle (which I also don't need).
    Did the install myself, pretty straightforward. Running an external 5-ch amp (Alpine) and the sound quality is excellent.
    So far, I have been able to use Torque with my car and have pretty much full visibility into my car's ECU.

Got Android Auto to work using Head Unit Reloaded and WIFI-DIRECT. Can't get it to work using the USB cable for some reason. However, I can use the USB cable to mirror my Galaxy S9+ on the HU screen using their EasyConnect app, not very fancy but it gets the job done.
    Bluetooth features work flawlessly for me, music streaming, full audio controls and handsfree phone works great too. I used the built-in MIC in my car and just spliced the connector from the MIC that came with the HU. Voice quality is perfect.

For Music, I have several options:
    Bluetooth streaming
    SD card using Poweramp as my music player
    Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc....
    The headunit comes with a pretty decent Amplifier app with an EQ and separate Subwoofer Volume control

For video, I have only used youtube and it the video quality is good, I wouldn't say it's amazing but good enough for me.
    Pumpkin claims the screen is HD, I don't necessarily agree but for the $$$ I paid, it is very good.

The launcher that comes built in sucks, so I'm playing with a couple of launchers and so far my favorite is Car Launcher Free, I can add shortcuts for the apps I need and it works well with poweramp. Most of the time I have Torque displaying gauges anyway.

The only thing I don't like is the basic bluetooth music player, I wish it had a bit more features but I guess I'm stuck with it as poweramp does not provide support to stream music over BT.

Overall, I'd say performance of the HU is excellent, I'm very happy with it! :good:
    Is this firmware the same as what is already on our units? kld_v2 2.78_1?

I updated the system today... and I was able to root it. :D
    The guide for rooting the unit is a bit hidden in the Oreo thread: https://xdaforums.com/android-auto/...5-oreo-rom-t3736950/post75741195#post75741195

Attached new firmware version...