General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
isn't AOSP a piece of crap? it never worked right for me on my OPX? Textran ever seemed to get messages and the open source texting app is wacky and glitchy? Maybe a flag ship gets more dev time?

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
isn't AOSP a piece of crap? it never worked right for me on my OPX? Textran ever seemed to get messages and the open source texting app is wacky and glitchy? Maybe a flag ship gets more dev time?

Nope that's totally false.

LineageOS works perfectly on the OnePlus X. So does AOSPextended ROM.

Now I have been using AICP on my Essential Phone for almost a year and couldn't be happier. I will never go back to stock from custom ROMs, even if the battery is better on Stock and I get all the latest updates immediately.

You can easily look through various Forums on XDA to find out more about what kind of dev support each device has.

Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs

Reactions: TheInfiniteAndroid

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
Nope that's totally false.

LineageOS works perfectly on the OnePlus X. So does AOSPextended ROM.

Now I have been using AICP on my Essential Phone for almost a year and couldn't be happier. I will never go back to stock from custom ROMs, even if the battery is better on Stock and I get all the latest updates immediately.

You can easily look through various Forums on XDA to find out more about what kind of dev support each device has.

Sent from my mata using Thebear Blue XDA Labs

it's glitchy as all hell on my OPX, also there are no OS updates, are those handled by some ASOP updater?

EDIT: Lineage no longer supports OPX

Last edited:

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
Well turns out the S9+ cant NOT be rooted if it's a US model!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fx8sD8yqpw

OH MY GOD!!!! IT does NOT support adopted storage, i just waste like $800 USD holy crap i hope i can send this garbage back!!!!!!

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/...series-support-the-adoptable-storage-feature/

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

You could go with S9+. Also, another tip, using the M4A instead of MP3 keeps the quality while reducing the size by half.

just bought i have it, and its an absolute waste of money, stuck on android 8 save for select models, can't be rooted, no adopted storage, stuck facebook and other apps, the edges aren't very nice. has to shrink the screen for one handed mode. no hardware buttons and i haven't even had it out for an hour. think i have to send it back or try to get my money out of it. i'm going to try and force my self to use it for a day or 3, it's fast but, OMG you GIVE UP SO MUCHH!!!!

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
just bought i have it, and its an absolute waste of money, stuck on android 8 save for select models, can't be rooted, no adopted storage, stuck facebook and other apps, the edges aren't very nice. has to shrink the screen for one handed mode. no hardware buttons and i haven't even had it out for an hour. think i have to send it back or try to get my money out of it. i'm going to try and force my self to use it for a day or 3, it's fast but, OMG you GIVE UP SO MUCHH!!!!

Sorry to hear that mate, but seems to me you didn't made your homework before throwing money on a phone. You didn't even searched some pictures about it? I mean you are complaining about the size and lack of hardware buttons after buying the phone! When I bought my phone (galaxy s6) , I even sent a few messages to some s6 users asking questions. On a side note, root access is difficult to obtain. Not impossible.

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
Sorry to hear that mate, but seems to me you didn't made your homework before throwing money on a phone. You didn't even searched some pictures about it? I mean you are complaining about the size and lack of hardware buttons after buying the phone! When I bought my phone (galaxy s6) , I even sent a few messages to some s6 users asking questions. On a side note, root access is difficult to obtain. Not impossible.

I expected that was standard i didn't realize how pampered i was with One Plus, the biggest grip is adopted storage and not lock screen gesture like one Plus, it's crying shame ONe Plus does not sell 256gb phones with SD card. i think this may have been the saving grace here. I i assumed all android phone with pie had adopted storage i did not know samsung whent out of their way to pull adopted storage. also thought the best most popular phones could be rooted, had no idea samsung held such following with unrootable phones. had no idea the S9+ varied so widely! that's crazy part some of these could be different model like s9 vs s9+ but, the + alone have about 4 or variants and notably different too!

It sure isn't slow, also kind of unwieldy BUT, is a single gesture for one handed mode then double tap back to full screen. if someone ever figure out how to root it that would be a big step up with magisk! I guess in the end phones have changed OR maybe now that i can afford nicer tech i'm making assumptions. Found out the hardway on my OLED TV too.

ProoN

Mar 30, 2015
This is a bit random and I apologize if it's in the wrong forum, not sure where else to post.

I've been using a Droid Razr M (XT907) for .. I don't know, maybe 5 years now. I unlocked the bootloader early on, was running Cyanogen for a while but updated to crDroid about 2 years ago. The phone still works great and I actually have an exact backup, same model and everything in case my daily one gets ruined for whatever reason -- It was literally $20 on eBay.

Now, I'm kind of in the market for another phone because this is a bit dated and a few apps are no longer supported on 7.1, not to mention there are a few minor bugs with the ROM itself, though insignificant enough to where I've learned to just live with them.

My question is basically.. what's out there (eBay, swappa, etc) that I can get for $75 or less that has an easily unlockable bootloader for custom ROMs and supports Android 8.0 or higher? I don't use phones the way most people do -- No Google maps (honestly avoid using GPS entirely now that I think of it..) No Facebook app, rarely Snapchat, etc. Just looking for something pretty basic that I can install a custom ROM on for less than $75 bucks

Any suggestions?

Again I'm currently using an XT907 comfortably so the bar (performance-wise) is pretty low, lol. Thanks in advance.

terky69

Aug 15, 2019
What Models Are Rootable?

I need to get a couple rootable phones for cheap. Im thinking some cheap prepaid ones from walmart or walgreens. doesnt matter what carrier, I wont actually be using the cell service.

So, Does anyone know what devices are easy to root and if there is a root walkthrough for them? I have only rooted 1 phone so am not very expirienced, but can follow directions.

niyonsv

Guys, I'm still not sure which device to choose. My budget is around $350 (Indian price). I'm looking for a phone which should be able to use for at least two years from now with custom ROM support. My list is like OnePlus 6T, 7 (but no custom ROM support), S9+, etc. I don't mind if it doesn't have 3.5mm jack. Also no need of SD card etc. But the RAM should be at least 6GB. Which one is better, 6T or 7? Or any other?

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
This is a bit random and I apologize if it's in the wrong forum, not sure where else to post.

I've been using a Droid Razr M (XT907) for .. I don't know, maybe 5 years now. I unlocked the bootloader early on, was running Cyanogen for a while but updated to crDroid about 2 years ago. The phone still works great and I actually have an exact backup, same model and everything in case my daily one gets ruined for whatever reason -- It was literally $20 on eBay.

Now, I'm kind of in the market for another phone because this is a bit dated and a few apps are no longer supported on 7.1, not to mention there are a few minor bugs with the ROM itself, though insignificant enough to where I've learned to just live with them.

My question is basically.. what's out there (eBay, swappa, etc) that I can get for $75 or less that has an easily unlockable bootloader for custom ROMs and supports Android 8.0 or higher? I don't use phones the way most people do -- No Google maps (honestly avoid using GPS entirely now that I think of it..) No Facebook app, rarely Snapchat, etc. Just looking for something pretty basic that I can install a custom ROM on for less than $75 bucks

Any suggestions?

Again I'm currently using an XT907 comfortably so the bar (performance-wise) is pretty low, lol. Thanks in advance.

you could go with Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4. seems the S3 has a custom rom with Pie in alpha. who knows, maybe you even get Android 10

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
you could go with Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4. seems the S3 has a custom rom with Pie in alpha. who knows, maybe you even get Android 10
my s3 (bought when released) is still up and running. :) but still on KK because thats what i prefer. also bootloader was unlocked when bought. awwww , those were the days. [emoji3]

err on the side of kindness

Reactions: juanq214

lu99ke

Aug 20, 2014
Newcastle
I need to get a couple rootable phones for cheap. Im thinking some cheap prepaid ones from walmart or walgreens. doesnt matter what carrier, I wont actually be using the cell service.

So, Does anyone know what devices are easy to root and if there is a root walkthrough for them? I have only rooted 1 phone so am not very expirienced, but can follow directions.

Do some research! Look at phones you may want to buy and then see if there are forums here with rooting information.

terky69

Aug 15, 2019
Do some research! Look at phones you may want to buy and then see if there are forums here with rooting information.

Thanks for the very helpful response.

Was hoping sombeody would just tell me exactly what phones are cheap and easily rooted. They dont need to be Cadillacs, just rootable. They arent for me so I dont care what they are, i just need them rooted for 1 very specific purpose.

lu99ke

Aug 20, 2014
Newcastle

Was hoping sombeody would just tell me exactly what phones are cheap and easily rooted. They dont need to be Cadillacs, just rootable. They arent for me so I dont care what they are, i just need them rooted for 1 very specific purpose.

You are welcome.

But seriously, I wasn't trying to be a **** - apologies if it came over like that. But if you would like someone's perspective, that's cool, but you need to provide SOME context other than "cheap & rootable" - where are you located? What is cheap to you? have you even looked at any phones? Are you happy to buy imported / second hand? etc etc etc...

You cannot really expect others to go and do your work for you if you do not do at least some work yourself.

Just saying.

Peace.

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014

for example

i could suggest 2 samsung s10 plus. given i make 5000 dollars per month, 2 s10 plus are quite cheap. since you didnt gave us any clue about your budget, i assume you also make 5000 dollars per month. good luck with your project.

terky69

Aug 15, 2019
I actually have a note 10 plus. These phones are for my parents so they can play movies on their car stereos, like I can with my rooted note 4.

Im in the us. They can be second hand. I'm not gonna spend 1000 for a phone that will literally never be used or come out of the car. All I need to do is be able to circumvent android auto blocking Plex playing videos, so they can stream movies on long road trips. More than anything I just want to see if I can do it.

My mom has a verizon note 8, my dad has a verizon note 5. Neither one seems to be rootable. I didn't
want to spend much, maybe 100 max. Was hoping I could just get a prepaid android phone and be able to root it.

I would prefer samsung, just cuz I like samsung but it doesn't really matter.

Also, the title of the thread is literally "not sure what phone to buy? Ask here!" I guess I was mistaken when I took that literally.

ProoN

Mar 30, 2015
So I retract my previous post there. I was with a friend over the weekend, we went up into the mountains and he ended up taking some photos that turned out *amazing* with his phone, a Galaxy S10 Plus.

I'm guessing it's because of the dual cameras. That being said, are there any phones with easily unlockable bootloaders and dual cameras for under $200? I'm willing to spend a bit more given how great those photos came out.

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
for example

i could suggest 2 samsung s10 plus. given i make 5000 dollars per month, 2 s10 plus are quite cheap. since you didnt gave us any clue about your budget, i assume you also make 5000 dollars per month. good luck with your project.
d*mn!! need an apprentice [emoji12]

err on the side of kindness

Top Liked Posts

dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    Pixel 6A, Xiaomi 12X, Asus Zenfone 9 cons disadvantages

Friends,
    have You got any experiences with those phones and ROM like AOSP: LinkageOS, Paranoid etc ?
    Asus can be with stock rom.

I'm searching smartfone with max lenght 155 mm, battery min 4,4 Ah and possibility to install AOSP Android, especially for Xiaomi models.
    Rather without rounded display edge..
    Actually Asus Zenfone 10/11, Xiaomi 13/14 is too expensive and difficult to get from second hand.
    They're all great, but steer clear of the Zenfone if you want custom ROMs (they pulled the unlock tool). I have a 6a and it is fast and smooth but the 12X should be a great phone (SD870 is good and it has more RAM).

I'd say choose a 12X if it's an option...
    I can't believe it's been so long since I joined, and posted an intro. I still have the same phone, and I need to "upgrade" badly. This sounds like the right thread to ask.

First, I'm looking for suggestions to replace a Galaxy S7, SM-G930W8 (Exynos).
    My main uses for a mobile phone are: texting, email, web browsing/streaming (eg: youtube), "tools" apps - eg: unit converters/calculators, and some..specific apps like TrolMaster (indoor gardening, at/for work) and Appliance apps - eg: Danby, etc., video/music listening - eg: VLC, and taking photos. I sometimes like to connect a usb microscope to it via usb OTG
    The camera on my S7 has been broken for years. I'm struggling without it. I have to ask roommate to use phone for their camera.
    I'd like expandable storage, have manufacturers completely removed that option now too?

Forgive my incorrect terminology; I want something "unlocked"(?) or easily unlockable (bootloader, right?), that I can put a custom ROM on (Calyx, or Lineage are two that interest me), good camera (I don't need the latest triple lense, 5-dimensional, 8K camera. But I don't wan't worse than what the S7 has - including video capabilities such as 1080p 60fps if possible). Headphone jack please (though I do finally have BT headphones now). USB-C charging would be nice. I would be ok with the same or larger size/screen as S7.
    And I'm not looking to buy a brand new "flagship" $1800 phone either. I think I bought this S7 used, a few years old/after release for maybe $300-400 cad.
    I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thank you.

Edit: Where are some online sources to buy quality used phones? Like Pixel phones, for example. If there are any.
    The best place to buy used devices depends on where you live.

Here in the United States Swappa and Back Market are great (BackMarket is also available in a few other countries). Based on your usage of the Canadian dollar I'd assume you live in Canada in which case eBay refurbished is your best option.

Most phones from the past ~3 years don't have expandable storage (Samsung A series does but also has no ROMs) oZr headphone jacks (enfones had them but they pulled their bootloader unlock tool so you can't ROM them anymore).

I'd say get a used Pixel 7 Pro or 7 and flash Lineage on it, it'd serve you well for the next few years (here is a link to a used 7 for about 350 CAD on eBay Canada). (edit: it's already out of stock)

OnePlus 12 vs Xiaomi 13 Ultra vs Xiaomi 14

I can get OnePlus 12 or Xiaomi 13 Ultra or Xiaomi 14 at similar price around 700 dollars in my region. For my important aspects are:
    1. Display: My eyes are a little bit sensitive to PWM, but it's relatively acceptable to me with the "Аnti-flicker" option in Xiaomi OS, but it's not perfectly

2. Root and mod friendly: official/unofficial custom roms and mods by OnePlus/Xiaomi fan groups ( which fan group has more development in this aspect)

3. Camera: I'm interested in who has offer the better hardware and therefore the possibility of improvement by software (GCAM) as well as modifications by fan groups

1.As far as I can find both phones Xiaomi 13 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 run at 1920 Hz under 50% brightness, I'm not shure when Oneplus 12 switch to 2160 Hz PWM and which one is better in this aspect.

2. I am not familiar with the oneplus fangroup and how root/custom roms/mods friendly it is compare to Xiaomi

3. Through the GCAM I manage to get more satisfactory photos and videos to my taste with my custom settings both through GCAM and through Modded MI Cam from my old Xiaomi smartphone, don't know how is with Oneplus

I find all other specs almost similar
    OnePlus is pretty root/rom friendly (more than Xiaomi these days) and GCam ports for the 12 are available (see this XDA post for more info). I'd say it's personal preference but the OP will definitely get more ROMs if that's what you're after.
    Hey all,
    Looking to replace my OnePlus 7 Pro.
    tl;dr Most importantly (if such a thing exists) i need Call Recordings to be possible without Root
    I'm mainly looking for a clear Android experience (Oxygen OS is a good example), a decent phone, no need for any bells/whistles.

My work requires all sorts of apps and the CISO is being a pain about using a rooted phone, I'm willing to forge adblocking, but giving up on call recordings (Which saved my ass in court 3 times so far) is a big no no.

thanks!
    Most Galaxies allow call recording, and new OnePlus phones do too. However, I wouldn't call modern Oxygen or OneUI close to stock, so you could also try CubeACR on a phone that doesn't have the feature (e.g a Pixel)
    What phone and/or OS for mobile has the best likelihood of resisting zero click attacks?
    GrapheneOS is designed with security and privacy in mind and uses techniques like sandboxing to prevent attacks - maybe it'd work? It's open source and doesn't require unlocking the BL to work. Only downside is you'd need a Pixel to use it.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)