[UPDATED 11/1/2012] [Exclusive] Unreleased Gmail 4.2 APK With Pinch-To-Zoom

Search This thread

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
dragging knee on the track
here it is guys, the newest Gmail 4.2 :D Reported to be working for Android 4.0+, rooted devices only. If you are having issues with 'waiting to sync', clear app data under settings and try again

Installation Option 1:
Uninstalled old apk with Titanium -> Reboot -> Installed new Gmail apk with explorer -> Reboot - Done :)

Installation Option 2:
The Gmail 4.2 APK is signed by Google, but with a different key than the one in the Play Store (we checked the signatures - they differ). One is probably the test key and the other the production key. For this reason, you can't simply install it as an update and therefore need to be rooted with the ability to mount the /system directory for writing in order to remove the existing Gmail APK.

OK, let's get down to it. You'll probably need ADB installed on your computer (here's an easy way that doesn't require downloading the Android SDK). There is a chance that this might work without ADB by just removing the APKs mentioned below and installing the new one, but it didn't seem to work reliably for everyone. This should, though:

1. Download Gmail 4.2 from one of the mirrors above.
2. Rename it to Gmail2.apk.
3. Make a Nandroid backup in case something goes wrong (this is always a good thing to do before messing with your device).
4. Delete (or move if you want to save the APKs) all other versions of Gmail. Usually there are 2 or 3 copies. One will be in /system/app (that's the original Gmail that was pre-installed on the device) and there may be a few in /data/app (these are the updates installed from the Play Store). They'll be called "Gmail.apk," or "com.google.android.gm-[number].apk," An easy way to tell is to look for the Gmail icon.
5. You may need to delete the .odex files matching the APKs in step 4 too, if you have them. Neither I nor Artem had to do this, but there are many different ROMs out there, and we're trying to cover all bases. Ignore this step and only come back to it if something doesn't work later.
6. Reboot. Once you do, you should have no Gmail as far as Android is concerned.
7. You can try to install the Gmail 4.2 APK you downloaded at this point by tapping it in your favorite file explorer (move the APK to your device first, of course). If that doesn't work, or if you prefer ADB, fire up a command line and type adb install Gmail2.apk.
If you get an error message, you probably didn't delete all copies of Gmail. If you don't feel like playing with ADB for Step 7, I've also gotten it to work by just copying the APK to /data/app, but that's not as fool proof as "ADB install".

get it here

Video review courtesy of qbking added

original link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...ed-gmail-4-2-apk-with-pinch-to-zoom-and-more/

Last edited:

GalaxyGusta

Feb 11, 2012
Is it really official one from Google?
Cuz I don't want my Google account to be stolen

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

GCHiker

Jan 2, 2012
I just renamed the gmail .apk and .odex to .bak and .odex.bak respectively in es explorer, and rebooted. Than I moved the Gmail2.apk to /system/app, fixed permissions, and installed. One more reboot and wala - she was up and running! Thanks for this, very sweet! :)

Sent while rotating @ 860mph

Reactions: hhp_211

joser916

Oct 16, 2010
Sacramento
OnePlus 9
I installed it, nothing happens it tries to sync and it just stops.

So can someone make a flashable zip file please?

Running:
HTC MyTouch 4G. True perm root s-off. Rom - Awesome ics 3.7.
-------------------------

Sent from my MyTouch 4g using Tapatalk 2

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
..... .....Than I moved the Gmail2.apk to /system/app, fixed permissions, and installed. One more reboot and wala - she was up and running! Thanks for this, very sweet! :)
Sent while rotating @ 860mph

Fixing the permissions was the key for me
,,, tried all the steps and rebooted several times,, blah, blah....but wouldn't work till i fixed the permissions :thumbup:

Sent from my swagger

Reactions: GCHiker

jthrift

May 5, 2011
When it is trying to sync go back an you have to reset permissions.

Sent from a rocket ship called earth.

jthrift

May 5, 2011
I can't even find the original gmail file on my phone!!!! It's not in system/app, there was one in data/app and i deleted it but it didn't do much

It really is most easy to uninstall with titanium backup. Restart device and install new gmail.

It really is most easy to uninstall with titanium backup. Restart device and install new gmail.

yeah wasn't there either in system or user (odd i know)
but i found out the reason i couldn't copy it to the system/app folder was because i apparently didn't have enough space in my system folder (had to give up hellpaper :'-( )

tboooe

Oct 9, 2011
the OC
Kind of inverted

Just picked up the semi inverted 4.2 made by TeamBaked. Even though I prefer a full inverted app, I must say the white background in the email is actually easier to read. Anyway, check it out (I would post a link but I am not sure I am allowed to).

And installing was a breeze. As others mentioned, uninstall via TiBackup then install...loving the swipe feature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here it is guys, the newest Gmail 4.2 :D Reported to be working for Android 4.0+, rooted devices only. If you are having issues with 'waiting to sync', clear app data under settings and try again

Installation Option 1:
    Uninstalled old apk with Titanium -> Reboot -> Installed new Gmail apk with explorer -> Reboot - Done :)

Installation Option 2:
    The Gmail 4.2 APK is signed by Google, but with a different key than the one in the Play Store (we checked the signatures - they differ). One is probably the test key and the other the production key. For this reason, you can't simply install it as an update and therefore need to be rooted with the ability to mount the /system directory for writing in order to remove the existing Gmail APK.

OK, let's get down to it. You'll probably need ADB installed on your computer (here's an easy way that doesn't require downloading the Android SDK). There is a chance that this might work without ADB by just removing the APKs mentioned below and installing the new one, but it didn't seem to work reliably for everyone. This should, though:

1. Download Gmail 4.2 from one of the mirrors above.
    2. Rename it to Gmail2.apk.
    3. Make a Nandroid backup in case something goes wrong (this is always a good thing to do before messing with your device).
    4. Delete (or move if you want to save the APKs) all other versions of Gmail. Usually there are 2 or 3 copies. One will be in /system/app (that's the original Gmail that was pre-installed on the device) and there may be a few in /data/app (these are the updates installed from the Play Store). They'll be called "Gmail.apk," or "com.google.android.gm-[number].apk," An easy way to tell is to look for the Gmail icon.
    5. You may need to delete the .odex files matching the APKs in step 4 too, if you have them. Neither I nor Artem had to do this, but there are many different ROMs out there, and we're trying to cover all bases. Ignore this step and only come back to it if something doesn't work later.
    6. Reboot. Once you do, you should have no Gmail as far as Android is concerned.
    7. You can try to install the Gmail 4.2 APK you downloaded at this point by tapping it in your favorite file explorer (move the APK to your device first, of course). If that doesn't work, or if you prefer ADB, fire up a command line and type adb install Gmail2.apk.
    If you get an error message, you probably didn't delete all copies of Gmail. If you don't feel like playing with ADB for Step 7, I've also gotten it to work by just copying the APK to /data/app, but that's not as fool proof as "ADB install".

get it here

Video review courtesy of qbking added

original link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...ed-gmail-4-2-apk-with-pinch-to-zoom-and-more/
    If you want the apk pm me your email and ill email it to you :) .
    OK, looks like this needs Android 4.+ versions. When I tried to install it on my GB ROM, throws me a parsing error.
    There's no way anyone still has http://bit.ly/TwC9ayit. Its gone forever.