samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 gt-p3113 root

Search This thread

TONY6669

Inactive Recognized Themer
Apr 14, 2012
chicago
Not to seem impatient, but, y'all got nothing for me on this?

when you are at that screen and plug into the usb port the box on odin should turn yellow with means its seing your device if it does not turn yellow then the computer is not reading your tab you then have to install the usb drivers...

Ayenn13

Jan 27, 2012
I have re-written Ayenn13's instructions, which he re-wrote from machx0r.

Give them the credit for the origin of these, I just made them easier to understand (and a little more accurate :D).

I also attached the three files you need to this post, just in case the links stop working :p. (You just have to unzip them using 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip, both attachments include the SAME files, I added both .zip and .7z as some people prefer one over the other.)

Instructions for installing Clockwork Recovery and Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"

1. Download recovery.tar.md5.
  2. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your ext SDCard ("Card" in Windows Explorer).
  3. Download Odin for windows.
  4. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.
  5. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode.
    • Navigate through Menu>Settings>Developer Options and check the “USB debugging” option.
  6. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable.
  7. Reboot your tablet into download mode. By either one of these options:
    • Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button. Volume up to confirm download mode.
    • If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a command prompt.
  8. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it, it will be in your user downloads folder).
  9. Hit start, when completed your tablet will reboot.
  10. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. By either one of these options:
    • Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button. When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up.
    • If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a command prompt.
  11. In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select.
  12. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
  13. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only option if you have not used any other root methods).
  14. Wait for the install to complete, shouldn't take long.
  15. Select "go back" from the menu at the top, back out two menus then select the reboot device option.
  16. Your device will restart. On the first restart you will see it "Update Android".
  17. ??????????
  18. Profit!

Sweetness!

For 1 and 2, in my process both of those programs engaged at one point but were not worth mentioning because they were pretty much what I would call a "delivery shell". Some of the processes were carried out through them.

Thanks for the rewrite :)

Last edited:

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
Sweetness!

For 1 and 2, in my process both of those programs engaged at one point but were not worth mentioning because they were pretty much what I would call a "delivery shell". Some of the processes were carried out through them. That might be why #17 confused Diablo2424. IDK.

As far as #17 is concerned, what I described in my directions is exactly what happened for me.

Thanks for the rewrite :)

No problem, just trying to make it fool proof, as I know a lot of people out there aren't as technologically advanced as some of us. Makes sense why you had Steps 1 & 2 in there then, but yea, they're not necessary.

No confusion on step 17 :p, it's a joke that comes from SouthPark, see below:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/profit

About

“PROFIT” is used in numbered lists to explain how to reach a goal. The basic template is:

1. Step one
2. Step two
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!
Origin

This meme comes directly from South Park‘s season 2, episode 17 (30th in total) which aired on December 16th, 1998. In this particular episode, the children’s underwear are being stolen from them by gnomes for the purpose of “profit.”

The process, as explained by thee gnomes goes something like this.

Step 1. Collect underpants.

Step 2. ?

Step 3. PROFIT

The gnomes lack of a business plan is used as a foil to the other main theme of the episode, a focus on large corporations. While the character Tweek’s parents are busy trying to figure out how their small coffee shop will compete with the giant Harbuck’s corporation (Starbucks Parody) the Gnomes illustrate a satire on crazy, unfounded money-making schemes.

Almost as soon as the episodes had aired, journalists were already using the South Park reference to describe the shortcomings of companies that failed in the big dot com collapse. In short, those who failed to develop a coherent strategy for collecting profit were behaving like Underpants Gnomes.

Today, the meme is typically used in forums or comments sections as a response that implies sarcastic disregard for the utility or purpose of a post.

More references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=profit

Gnomes_plan.png

baconabk

May 19, 2010
Can someone do me a huge favor I copied over my wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant.cof files can anyone post the originals cuz I lost mine my wifi doesn't work at all :-( I would greatly appreciate it

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA

R3sidu3

Jan 16, 2011
New York
I have a version of Swype that works perfect along with the dragon software on it works fine for me if anyone wants it

Sent from 3 seconds in the future

Diablo2424

Mar 6, 2008
Can someone do me a huge favor I copied over my wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant.cof files can anyone post the originals cuz I lost mine my wifi doesn't work at all :-( I would greatly appreciate it

Tell me where to get these files and I'll upload mine for you (my tab is rooted, but stock)

baconabk

May 19, 2010
Tell me where to get these files and I'll upload mine for you (my tab is rooted, but stock)

Wpa_supplicant is located /system/bin and the wpa_supplicant.cof is located in /etc/wifi
I greatly appreciate it sorry if you saw wrong location first of the .cof

Last edited:

gbyers72

Oct 19, 2011
Belfast
www.geordienorman.com
Give that Go Launcher HD for tablets a shot. That is what I use and I friken love it! It is rather bare-bones ATM but it is still technically an alpha build. There are no themes for it yet (not theme SDK yet either... I cannot wait to get my hands on that when they release one)

The one thing I do advise is to make the app draw and home screen icon grid 6x6 IMMEDIATELY. otherwise it it feels really bottom heavy/lopsided.
I use nova launcher looks like stock ics and is smooth so far no lag :D

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

So you guys have figured it out on windows anyone working on a way to do it on the mac or do I have to use virtual box :mad:

ajr901

Nov 2, 2009
Miami
Guys, after following the rooting guide a little above, I'm having a really serious issue.

So I went through the process (not the first time I rooted an Android device) and it was easy and simple. After the root I made sure by downloading root checker basic for the Play store. I was indeed rooted. But then something weird started happening. The screen goes into standy by itself after a few seconds like normal, but I can't get it to wake up from standy. I have to shut off the device by holding the power button and then turning it back on again. When I do that it works normally again until the screen shuts off either by me pressing the power button to do it manually, or until the screen dims out into standby. I've tried wiping the cache, I've tried a factory reset, and I've even ran the process again all over using heimdall. I'm guessing it's probably the kernel that gets flashed using heimdall? Please help me out here because I only got this decive today and It really sucks that it's not working :(

I was able to fix it easily. I found someone online who had an identical Galaxy Tab 2 and had them make a nandroid backup (after they did a factory reset so that I wouldn't have any of their private data) and send me the backup files over dropbox. I got an md5 mismatch error when I tried restoring but it was simple to fix after some googling and then the restore went fine. Now I have no problems with the galaxy tab 2. Also now the kernel is (@SEP-66 #1) instead of (@SEP-103 #1 which was causing the problem.)

Thank you for all that helped.

K

knucklesmckay

I was able to fix it easily. I found someone online who had an identical Galaxy Tab 2 and had them make a nandroid backup (after they did a factory reset so that I wouldn't have any of their private data) and send me the backup files over dropbox. I got an md5 mismatch error when I tried restoring but it was simple to fix after some googling and then the restore went fine. Now I have no problems with the galaxy tab 2. Also now the kernel is (@SEP-66 #1) instead of (@SEP-103 #1 which was causing the problem.)

I am glad its working for you now.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
CWM

So just a CWM restore brought your system to stock to include the kernel? Nothing else?

Thanks

Luis

RDI

Mar 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
www.RDI.us
I am rooted also, thanks. I did discover that while working on the Tablet I saved the zip file (by default) at: /mnt/sdcard in download. When I went to flash the zip file, it is was not there.. After rebooting, I found that CWM was looking at: /mnt/extSdcard/download.. Which directory is the correct one and how do I make sure everything uses just one.?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

elcidroyale

Dec 5, 2011
ANyone have a stock rom image? I bricked mine by using a DPI changer! The Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 logo come up then to black & stuck. I can boot into CWR but does no good as I don't have a backup :(

I also tried editing the build.prop back to 160 from 180 dpi through ADB but it won't let me write the changes back to the tab as I can't change it to rw! :(((

HELP!

Last edited:

baezl

Nov 19, 2011
Stock Images

Jcase has made two stock images available in a nice zip packaged as an update. Includes stock kernel, system and recovery. Check out rootz. I have a stock rooted backup I can share with you which I made after a factory restore so no personal data is on it. It is for IML74K.P3113UEALCB. Do not use it on IML74K-P3113UEALD3.

Luis

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re-Re-Written Instructions

I have re-written Ayenn13's instructions, which he re-wrote from machx0r.

Give them the credit for the origin of these, I just made them easier to understand (and a little more accurate :D).

I also attached the files you need to this post, just in case the links stop working :p. (You just have to unzip them using 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip, both attachments include the SAME files, I added both .zip and .7z as some people prefer one over the other.)

Instructions for installing Clockwork Recovery and Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"

1. Download recovery.tar.md5.

2. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your ext SDCard ("Card" in Windows Explorer).

3. Download Odin for windows.

4. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

5. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode.

• Navigate through Menu>Settings>Developer Options and check the “USB debugging” option.

6. Reboot your tablet into download mode. By either one of these options: (*NOTE: Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable if you will be rebooting your device through ADB!)

• Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button. Volume up to confirm download mode.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a command prompt.

7. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it, it will be in your user downloads folder).

8. Hit start, when completed your tablet will reboot.

9. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. By either one of these options:

• Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button. When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up.

• If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a command prompt.

10. In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select.

11. Select "choose zip from sdcard".

12. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only option if you have not used any other root methods).

13. Wait for the install to complete, shouldn't take long.

14. Select "go back" from the menu at the top, back out two menus then select the reboot device option.

15. Your device will restart. On the first restart you will see it "Update Android".

16. ??????????

17. Profit!
    I have rewritten the instructions for the novice rooter (which is what I am given I have only been around the superuser world for tow months). machx0r forgot a few important steps for us novices. :confused:

I would like to thank machx0r for giving the directions they have. Without them I would not have figured the rest out! :)

Here are the desecrate and explicate instructions for this process...

1. Get a copy of Mobile Odin and install it (it is on Google Play).

2. Get a copy of ClockworkMod and install it (it is on Google Play).

3.Download recovery.tar.md5.

4. Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to your extSdCard (Card in Windows Explorer)

5. Download Odin for windows.

6. Make sure your device is not plugged in via USB.

7. Make sure your device is in “USB debugging” mode

a. To do so navigate through Menu>Settings>Applications>Development
    Options and check the “USB debugging” option.​

8. Reboot your tablet into download mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold the Volume Down button and Power button.
    Volume up to confirm download mode.​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot download' from a
    command prompt​

9. Launch Odin, click PDA and browse to the recovery.tar.md5 file (unless you moved it will be in your user downloads folder).

10. Hit start and your tablet will reboot.

11. Unplug the USB connection.

12. Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. Either one of these options:

a. Power off the tablet. Hold down the Volume Up button and Power button.
    When you see the "Galaxy Tab" logo release Power but continue holding Volume Up​

b. If you have adb installed run 'adb reboot recovery' from a
    command prompt​

13.In the CWM menu (the menu will be in the upper left corner of the now landscape mode screen) navigate to "install zip from sdcard" (volume keys navigate) and press power to select

14. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

15. Navigate to the "cmw-root-gtab2.zip" you saved to your sd card earlier (it should be the only opition if you have not used any other root methods).

16. Select go back from the menu at the top through two menus then select the restart device option.

17. Your device will restart. In the process it will update android.

18. Profit!​
    Please share with the rest of the class :p Did you just change density and then install or something more to it?

Ok class, listen up. j/K ;). I initially tried to use the swype apk from my 7.7. It installed, but forced closed over and over. So I thought about it, and figured out another idea, that I was almost positive wasnt going to work. But it did.

I used the swype apk that I had from an install on my kindle fire. I used these instructions here to get it installed onto my Fire. I ended up returning the Fire to buy the gtab 2, but I had backups of it. And it was as simple as installing that apk.

Now Ive read that swype really frowns on people posting modified swype apk's. But this one is not modified in anyway other than it was used on a device that wasnt suppose to work but did. So I hope this wont cause any issues, and if it does feel free to delete the file. Anyway here it is. Hope it works as easy for others as it did for me.
    here it is

since we have no forum yet (um come on mods get to it!) I can't post a shiny new thready for my very first real dev, ROOT FOR YOUR GALAXY TAB 2 7.0!!

so I'll put it in this post, and I'll mention I posted this on rootzwiki first, we have our very own forum there... (XDA I love ya, and I know you will get there hehe)

** Edit ***
    I just attached the files as well as mediafire, rename the txt file to pit (xda won't accept the file as is..

I have gained root through using a modified boot.img from the gt-p3110 leak posted a few weeks ago, took me all day but here it is.

Note I haven't only tested this on my device, its 2am est and all my testers are asleep (that being termitech lol)..

Standard YMMV
    So big fat warning, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WILL NOT BRICK YOUR TAB, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Now with that unpleasantness out of the way.. with out further ado. I present the very first root for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0!! Yay mom I'm a dev now!

The method will have you using hemidall/heimdall-frontend there is a way to put this all into an odin package but I'm too exhausted to do so (for now).. Also I will not re-hash how to install or use heimdall.. you can look that up on your own

Get it here:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Process
    Once that is installed do the following:
    • reboot tablet into download mode
    • adb reboot download

• launch heimdall-frontend
    • go to flash tab
    • load attached pit file (gt-p3110.pit)
    • Then from partion details choose "KERNEL", click "Add"
    • then choose "Browse" and select the attached boot-bjr.img
    • choose "Start"

after the tablet reboots:

Code:
    adb shell
    ./su
    ./gtab2-root.sh

Congratulations you are now rooted!

I'm going to try and stay up a bit longer and monitor this (and the xda thread) please let me know immediately of success or failure, I will pull the files if failure.. Issues with heimdall aside, I want reports back on if things work.. They work for me.. and I tested a fresh factory img just a few minutes ago.. pretty sure we are good!

gt-p3110.pit

boot-bjr.img
    Ive made some progress..

I'm able to make and flash new boot.img's and change files in the initramfs, having a bit of trouble getting adb to come up insecure.. any other devs out there want to chime in?

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I think the only method is to use odin to flash either a system.img that is rooted or flash a rooted kernel.

I can push busybox and change its permissions to data/local.. thats something.. :)

adb push busybox /data/local/ && adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/busybox

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I have root! (in recovery)

now to make it pretty so you guys can try it!