Otterbox Defender and Extended Battery Mod, (cutting required)

Search This thread

slydweis

Sep 25, 2010
Ok, so this is my first thread on these forums. If I'm breaking the rules or posting incorrectly, etc. Please let me know how to fix it.

I went ahead and got all the measurements off of various sites before I attempted this. I lost the paper I wrote the dimensions on. But this does work. I used an exacto knife, old pair of wire cutters and a file. I wish I had a dremel to do this, It would've been a lot cleaner and more exact.

I ordered an OEM Thunderbolt Extended Battery, Otterbox Defender Case, and a Zagg Screen Protector. I've been using this setup for a month now and am very pleased.

I spent $65 total on amazon.com and zagg.com for everything.

I first laid the battery in the battery cover and scored the edges. I pushed through it on one corner than began to cut. I filed down the edges. I then laid the cover in the Otterbox case and scored the outline. Then I ran the exacto back and forth for quite a while until I got through on one edge, than began to cut.

Here are my results. I know the images aren't the best quality. I haven't bought a new camera since before I've had my first android.

I peeled a bit of the padding out of the back of the Otterbox case and put it on the battery just to see how much it would push out the silicon cover, not much.

Now I am going to double-side tape the left over rectangle of the battery cover to the battery and get some weather stripping and place it on top of that.

The Zagg and the Otterbox mate well at first, eventually they begin to separate around the edges, I used the spray between them that came with the Zagg shield. The Zagg stays in place though. I haven't noticed any dust or debris since it's started. So far over this month they've stayed together in the center. I don't mind it as I am pretty hard on my phones physically and usage wise. It's hard to tell when the screen is actually on.

If you have any questions that I haven't answered, just let me know.

Thanks for looking. :D

Reactions: computerfreek

homer169

Apr 18, 2010
How well has this been working for you? I have been planning on doing the same thing.

Sent from my rooted slightly modified Rezound using XDA

killahrey

Aug 23, 2009
East Texas
I did something similar with my trident kraken case. I was going to get this otterbox but I didn't because trident has a better selection of colors and so far its been great.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

unseenme

Sep 28, 2010
I saw on htcpedia that you can actually use the Defender case without the back plastic piece. Just wrap the silicone outer cover around the phone with just the front plastic on. Haven't tried it but their video shows that it seems to fit perfect.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

homer169

Apr 18, 2010
The problem with doing that is the phone will not fit in the holster screen out and the volume buttons are way to sensitive. If you cut the otter box back and the standard battery door everything fits nearly prefect.

unseenme

Sep 28, 2010
I believe that also voids your (lifetime) warranty. Commuter cases are better anyway, but that's just me..

*Sent...*

homer169

Apr 18, 2010
You should read the fine print. Its hardly a lifetime warranty. In fact is only for a year. And if you have a flaw within that year, they will only replace it once. Besides, how many things can really go wrong with a phone case? Once it breaks, your probably ready for a different one anyway.

GunnerOnASpooky

Just did this last night....and I agree, would be much easier with a dremel. I'm going to borrow a friends to smooth the cuts, but so far, it works like a champ. I used an OEM Rezound extended battery though

Sent from my WabiSabiGeek'd out Transformer Prime using the Interweb

computerfreek

Feb 1, 2010
www.nhscan.com
Thanks for the pics and info for this MOD I did it a few days ago and I love it you can't even tell that I added the extended battery. I picked up a battery from Verizon website on sale for 29.99 plus my 18% off. Worked out great.

sumredhed567

Aug 3, 2011
Chesapeake
Love the mod. I'm gonna do it my next day off. How solid does it feel? Does anything feel lose on the back? Also do you think this would work with the mugen 4000 mah battery?

computerfreek

Feb 1, 2010
www.nhscan.com
Love the mod. I'm gonna do it my next day off. How solid does it feel? Does anything feel lose on the back? Also do you think this would work with the mugen 4000 mah battery?

Looks and fell you can't even tell you did the mod. I did nice clean cuts the battery cover was so close on my cuts a had to go back with sand paper as I was not getting cell service do to the antenna no connected. So take your time the OEM batt cover already has the outline of the battery so that cut is very easy. after that just lay the back cover in the outerbox and mark and cut you will be very happy with it.

sumredhed567

Aug 3, 2011
Chesapeake
I ended up doing it yesterday and I'm in love
. You really can't tell it's there. The only thing I'm wondering is the dimensions of the 4000 mah battery because I'm wondering if it will work with this mod. Can anyone chime in? Is it bigger then the OEM extended battery?

computerfreek

Feb 1, 2010
www.nhscan.com
I ended up doing it yesterday and I'm in love
. You really can't tell it's there. The only thing I'm wondering is the dimensions of the 4000 mah battery because I'm wondering if it will work with this mod. Can anyone chime in? Is it bigger then the OEM extended battery?

Well the 4000 mah battery has to be the same around so even if it is thicker I think the outerbox rubber will still give in and pull over it just fine.

HowardZ

Apr 6, 2012
Today I did the same case mods.

I purchased a used standard rezound back piece for $5 + $4 for shipping. This way if I screw up I only lose the used back piece.

Well I did a good tight job on the back piece. It's like HTC already put cutting lines inside the back piece to make it easier for us. I used a dremel tool with cutoff wheel. Also used a file to smooth it out.

On the defender box I cut the rectangle a little too low and had to lengthen the hole. But I don't think it matters that the hole is 1/8 inch larger than necessary.

I am generally pleased, but I suspect this leaves the phone more vulnerable to water damage if it becomes submerged in liquid.

slydweis

Sep 25, 2010
Sorry to everyone for not checking on this thread in such a long time. This has had a very solid feel. I love the rezound. Also, as for the 4000mah battery. I looked at the youtube video about it. It is a tad thicker than the OEM extended battery. But I see no reason why it wouldn't fit. The silicon will stretch. I'm actually looking into getting the 4500mah battery from mugen for the thunderbolt to see if that will work. I don't mind the added bulk, obviously haha. I also need to clean my case up with my dremel. I've just been lazy. I can take pics of this phone later to show how it's held up. The only other thing is it is hard to fit the phone in screen out in the belt clip if you want to use it as a stand. With any mugen, imho, it will not fit that way at all. But regular face in, no battery will affect that. :D

jdm2008315

Aug 13, 2012
Sorry to everyone for not checking on this thread in such a long time. This has had a very solid feel. I love the rezound. Also, as for the 4000mah battery. I looked at the youtube video about it. It is a tad thicker than the OEM extended battery. But I see no reason why it wouldn't fit. The silicon will stretch. I'm actually looking into getting the 4500mah battery from mugen for the thunderbolt to see if that will work. I don't mind the added bulk, obviously haha. I also need to clean my case up with my dremel. I've just been lazy. I can take pics of this phone later to show how it's held up. The only other thing is it is hard to fit the phone in screen out in the belt clip if you want to use it as a stand. With any mugen, imho, it will not fit that way at all. But regular face in, no battery will affect that. :D

The OEM extended battery is pretty good and I got mine for $25. That's a pretty good deal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so this is my first thread on these forums. If I'm breaking the rules or posting incorrectly, etc. Please let me know how to fix it.

I went ahead and got all the measurements off of various sites before I attempted this. I lost the paper I wrote the dimensions on. But this does work. I used an exacto knife, old pair of wire cutters and a file. I wish I had a dremel to do this, It would've been a lot cleaner and more exact.

I ordered an OEM Thunderbolt Extended Battery, Otterbox Defender Case, and a Zagg Screen Protector. I've been using this setup for a month now and am very pleased.

I spent $65 total on amazon.com and zagg.com for everything.

I first laid the battery in the battery cover and scored the edges. I pushed through it on one corner than began to cut. I filed down the edges. I then laid the cover in the Otterbox case and scored the outline. Then I ran the exacto back and forth for quite a while until I got through on one edge, than began to cut.

Here are my results. I know the images aren't the best quality. I haven't bought a new camera since before I've had my first android.

I peeled a bit of the padding out of the back of the Otterbox case and put it on the battery just to see how much it would push out the silicon cover, not much.

Now I am going to double-side tape the left over rectangle of the battery cover to the battery and get some weather stripping and place it on top of that.

The Zagg and the Otterbox mate well at first, eventually they begin to separate around the edges, I used the spray between them that came with the Zagg shield. The Zagg stays in place though. I haven't noticed any dust or debris since it's started. So far over this month they've stayed together in the center. I don't mind it as I am pretty hard on my phones physically and usage wise. It's hard to tell when the screen is actually on.

If you have any questions that I haven't answered, just let me know.

Thanks for looking. :D