[Tutorial] Unlock your device using NFC

Search This thread

Monteillard

Dec 21, 2011
Paris
Hey everyone, here is a tutorial on how to use a nfc tag to unlock galaxy s3 and other android devices with nfc.

Translated from the french version : http://www.galaxys2.fr/forum/voir-t14883.html#p146889

Required:
-Anything with nfc (nfc card , nfc tag , tectiles ...)
-Be rooted
-Installed Tasker + secure settings plug-in , Widgetlocker , NFC Re-tag
-download the NFCmodSGS3_lockscreen matching your ROM here : http://xdaforums.com/showthr ... ?t=1712024
-Deactivate any lockscreen in settings (even the slide to unlock one)
-10 min of time

Ready ? Let's go

1st step : Flash the NFCmodSGS3_lockscreen***** via CWM

2nd step : Lockscreen configuration

Start widgetlocker and select a lockscreen with only one function : unlock

In settings , inputs, enable the back button, in advance select the 2 last ones

3rd step: Tasker

New profile :
events, 3rd party widget locker , unlocked ==> if %WIFI~Off, wait 300ms , plug in secure settings password pin , enable : type the password you want to use if you forgot your nfc tag.

New profile :
event, display screen off ==> plug in secure settings nfc on

New profile:
event system boot : plug in secure settings password pin , enable : type the password you want to use if you forgot your nfc tag + condition %WIFI~Off

New profile:
event network , wifi on , plug in secure settings password pin , disable
Exit task : plug in secure settings password pin , enable : type the password you want to use if you forgot your nfc tag.

New task: (name it UNLOCK)
plug in secure settings password pin , disable
wait 200ms
input , button : back button

4th and last step : NFC-Retag

Scan your tag and add the action : tasker task : UNLOCK
In settings , mute pop ups et do not show

:good: And you are ready to go ! :good:

Video in french on the original thread, feel free to correct my mistakes or help me improve the way this tutorial is (it's my first one)

Last edited:

DannyDrama

Dec 18, 2010
God bless you, sir. I was thinking of awesome ways to use this when I thought about putting a tag in my wristband. Its completely invisible and more handy than I thought it would be. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Monteillard

Dec 21, 2011
Paris
I'm trying to follow your tutorial, but it is written quite complicated.

Why do I need WidgetLocker?

Because it's the only locker that I know that can be unlocked by the "return" key.

God bless you, sir. I was thinking of awesome ways to use this when I thought about putting a tag in my wristband. Its completely invisible and more handy than I thought it would be. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You are welcome :)
It's great to read such a comment when it's only the second one you get after waiting 2 months ^^
Have Fun !

peurocs4

Your link is messed up...

Download link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1712024

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

You said: "...here is a tutorial on how to use a nfc tag to unlock galaxy s3 and other android devices with nfc."
But I don't see how you can flesh NFCmodSGS3_lockscreen to other devices when it's made specifically for SGS3...

Hey everyone, here is a tutorial on how to use a nfc tag to unlock galaxy s3 and other android devices with nfc.

Translated from the french version : http://www.galaxys2.fr/forum/voir-t14883.html#p146889

Required:
-Be rooted
-download the NFCmodSGS3_lockscreen matching your ROM here : http://xdaforums.com/showthr ... ?t=1712024
-10 min of time

Ready ? Let's go

New profile :
events, 3rd party widget locker , unlocked ==> if %WIFI~Off, wait 300ms , plug in secure settings password pin , enable : type the password you want to use if you forgot your nfc tag.

New profile :

New profile:
event system boot : plug in secure settings password pin , enable : type the password you want to use if you forgot your nfc tag + condition %WIFI~Off

New profile:
Exit task : plug in secure settings password pin , enable : type the password you want to use if you forgot your nfc tag.

wait 200ms

Video in french on the original thread, feel free to correct my mistakes or help me improve the way this tutorial is (it's my first one)

Last edited:
Reactions: himatech

spenc938

Nov 6, 2012
This is cool and all, but I'm curious about the practical application of using this. I would think that sliding to unlock would be easier than carrying/wearing an NFC tag all the time.

svfreddy

Mar 25, 2011
This is cool and all, but I'm curious about the practical application of using this. I would think that sliding to unlock would be easier than carrying/wearing an NFC tag all the time.

^^^ yes. Can someone explain or shine some light to what good uses this would bring?
Security????

Monteillard

Dec 21, 2011
Paris
Hey everyone, sorry I didn't notice the replies sooner.

For the ones asking, this is useful when you don't want to waste time typing your password but still want a kind of security in case your phone is stolen.

As someone said, having an nfc tag in your hand would be the absolutely perfect thing, your phone would unlock just by holding it, and noone else would be able to use it

trackzero

Dec 10, 2011

Well, sure you think that now, but once you've been equipped with your government-supplied NFC tracking implant, it'll all make perfect sense.

Actually...This isn't something I'd use on my personal device, but for the phones in my dev environment, it's a decent way to lock 'em but still make it easy enough for a group of techs to unlock the devices when they're near the bench...

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
I'm trying to use NFC Task Launcher to control App Protector Pro so that specific Apps can be unlocked via NFC.

Basically the following method:
NFC Task Launcher -> Tasker Task -> App Protector Pro Plugin -> Disable App Protector Pro

But the problem is, the task to unlock App Protector Pro can be called from directly within NFC Launcher. This defeats the purpose of App Protector Pro since anyone can go into NFC Task Launcher to unlock App Protector Pro.

at least a PIN lock is needed to plug this security hole.

Is there any NFC Task Launcher that locks itself?

codebam

Feb 27, 2013
Toronto
sean-behan.appspot.com
You could try locking NFC Task Launcher with a different locking app. Keep the same setup but have a passcode using a different locking app to lock it. If you need to tasker can lock apps too. It's a very basic lock but it still works.

Method 1: download a new locking app to lock NFC Task Launcher. Here's one I saw that looked good

Method 2: Lock NFC Task Launcher with tasker

Sorry no links. XDA won't let me because I'm new.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Problem with that is that the given lock app will pop-up once you scan a tag as NFC Task Launcher is utilized.

ssyphon

Feb 23, 2013
Support for other devices...

Any chance of this mod being used for non GSIII devices? The file you want to download seems GSIII specific and like it wouldn't work for other devices, but you say that this is a tutorial for "other devices." Anyone tested this on another other devices to confirm that it works?

capite

Dec 1, 2007
Chicago
Any chance of this mod being used for non GSIII devices? The file you want to download seems GSIII specific and like it wouldn't work for other devices, but you say that this is a tutorial for "other devices." Anyone tested this on another other devices to confirm that it works?

Yeah I'm curious about this too. Has anyone done this successfully on another device, like maybe a Note 2? ;)

peurocs4

Yeah I'm curious about this too. Has anyone done this successfully on another device, like maybe a Note 2? ;)

It's most likely that the S3 version will not work on other devices...
If you want, you can try flashing it after BACKUP!!!!

But this is what I did...
The NFC on Lockscreen/ScreenOff MOD seem to first started on this thread: CLICK HERE
So, I kindly asked on that thread if someone could port this MOD so I could use it on my Skyrocket.
Thankfully, one of the developers ported over for me with 24 hours...

*** When you are asking for a port, tell them your phone's model # and the link of the ROM that you are currently running!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Required:
    -Be rooted
    -10 min of time

Ready ? Let's go

New profile :

New profile :

New profile:

New profile:

wait 200ms

I'm trying to follow your tutorial, but it is written quite complicated.

Why do I need WidgetLocker?
    Your link is messed up...

Download link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1712024

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

You said: "...here is a tutorial on how to use a nfc tag to unlock galaxy s3 and other android devices with nfc."
    But I don't see how you can flesh NFCmodSGS3_lockscreen to other devices when it's made specifically for SGS3...

Required:
    -Be rooted
    -10 min of time

Ready ? Let's go

New profile :

New profile :

New profile:

New profile:

wait 200ms

Great!

I would like to work with you on monetizing and creatig a business with the app you have created.
    This makes me want to implant a nfc tag into my palm now...