[KERNEL] Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA + INTL (5/3/12) [UPDATE: R3]

Search This thread

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
It seems like data and dbdata weren't formatted properly. Try flashing the zips for data and dbdata again, but in cwm unmount them first before flashing.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChaosChris

ChaosChris

May 5, 2011
Hamburg
apextracker.de
Hey klin, can you post screenshots of the mounts like mine on the post above so I know I'm not alone? The app is Android system info. I feel bad for you cause it seems like i'm annoying you with problems

Same problem here on stock xxpq

Sent from my YP-G1 using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335743519442.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335743519442.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 151

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
I've had those problems when I was converting as well. Seems like data and dbdata don't like being formatted to ext4. I think I had to do it a couple of times to completely get it to format.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChaosChris

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
Nope doesn't work. Tried mounted, unmounted ,format then mount/unmount and no changes.... :( If the stock ROMs came with ext4 on it would be alot easier.
Edit: Does Usb Debugging have to be on? If it does ill try again tomorrow

Last edited:

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
I'll probably go back to my initial port of cwm 5.0.2.7 because converting to ext4 (ghetto lagfix) is as simple as changing a few file names and restoring :)
There seemed to be a lot of problems when I had it at first, but zaclimon is able to use it without any errors so I'll try it again...

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: lomniom

Artmuzz

Jan 9, 2012
Voodoo Sound Plus is crashing with v4.0 and the latest version of Klin's Klassic ROM :(

Sorry wrong post.

Last edited:

indyssee

Oct 8, 2011
Thanks, Klin. Just flashed R2 over Klassic R5 and everything is working nicely. Also, nice job on the Klassic theme.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Hi klin,

Just flashed R3 kernel over your R4 rom, followed your simple instructions and all went well. Like the new CWM and my 4.0 seems to have a bit more zip. I'm still on R4 rom, as it's been solid for me and I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks again for the release. Seems I've used up my 8 thanks for the day, so I'll hit the thanks button a couple of times for you when I'm out of thanks prison. :p

Mike T

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
do i change .android_secure.vfat.tar to ext4 too or i leave it?

Edit: I did it without changing the .android_secure.vfat.tar and got MD5 mismatch

Edit 2: For the ejecting part do you mean turn usb storage off or disconnect the usb?

Last edited:

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Eject from your computer first, then turn off USB storage from your device.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wheatly

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
:mad: I keep getting "MD5 misatch!" whenever I try to restore. I ejected YP-G1 disconnected from usb storage too.

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
I have done it for 2 times trying to change to ext4. This is my third time and I am trying to restore the backup unchanged and it works fine.... Im going to flash back to stock and restart everything to see if it helps

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
I have done it for 2 times trying to change to ext4. This is my third time and I am trying to restore the backup unchanged and it works fine.... Im going to flash back to stock and restart everything to see if it helps

Try mounting USB storage in recovery and follow the steps from there.

Sent using Tapatalk

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal

Ensure that when you edit nandroid.md5, you have a unix encoding text editor like notepad ++.

Wheatly

Oct 30, 2011
Ugh finally got it to convert to ext4 :p who knew these are such pains? Thanks for your help :D

Edit: Recovery is successfully but now I am stuck at logo >O I am going to try from stock tommorow

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
do i change .android_secure.vfat.tar to ext4 too or i leave it?

Edit: I did it without changing the .android_secure.vfat.tar and got MD5 mismatch

Edit 2: For the ejecting part do you mean turn usb storage off or disconnect the usb?

@klin1344,

I did not change the .android_secure to ext4, as your instructions said to change only all the rfs to ext4. Was I supposed to change .android_secure also?

Everything is working great as is, so I'm guessing I did the right thing. Thanks.

Mike T

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Klin's Custom Kernel for YP-G1 USA and INTL
    Latest Version: R3

This is a custom kernel that I made based off of STeVE's 3.0 sources. (He gave me permission to release this) I will be adding more features and continue to develop it. The sources are here: https://github.com/klin1344/Galaxy-Player-4.0-Kernel
    Please be patient if there are problems as this is my first kernel and everything is still a learning process for me. (I'm completely new to Linux) Enjoy :).

Disclamer: I will not be responsible if you brick your device or if any weird stuff happens.

R1 features:
    - EXT4 support (See instructions in 2nd post on how to convert to EXT4)
    - Insecure kernel (root in ADB)
    - All features from STeVE's 3.0 kernel

R2 features:
    - Improve touch screen responsiveness
    - Custom bootanimation support; the kernel will look in both /data/local/ or /system/media/ for bootanims
    - Netarchy/coolbho3ks SoD patch from Entropy512's source (allows you to use screen off profiles of under 800Mhz)
    - Lots of tweaks and mods for overall performance and responsiveness

R3 features
    - Ported ClockWorkMod 5.2.0.7 from semaphore kernel source for the I9000
    - Raised FPS cap to 72
    - Raised RAM from 341 MB to 352 MB
    --Doing this would break HD video recording and taking photos while taking videos on the I9000, but our device has none of those features, so it shouldn't have any issues.
    - More reliable and easier way of converting to EXT4 (see below) (thanks zaclimon for the advice)

How to install:
    Check the PDA slot and flash the .tar in ODIN. Or if you're on Linux, extract the zImage from the .tar and flash with Heimdall.

All releases are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?m1bjqojv5ln6o

Thanks to:
    - Entropy512 and rumirand for their kernel sources
    - STeVE for his custom kernel and source
    - Many kernel devs in other SGS and Nexus S forums for their kernel sources as well
    - zaclimon for testing initial release and helping me with MD5 mismatch issues
    If you appreciate my work and want to encourage me to continue developing, don't post "thanks", just click it! ;)
    How to convert to EXT4​
    Instructions are for R3 only​

1. Flash my kernel.
    2. Make sure you have about 14 MB free space on /system.
    3. Boot into CWM recovery and do a full nandroid backup.
    4. Reboot, and from your computer go to the CWM backup directory on your sd card.
    5. Change all the files from ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar".
    6. Open nandroid.md5 with a text editor and change all the ".rfs.tar" to ".ext4.tar". Save and close.
    7. Eject the device from your computer FIRST. This step is crucial. Then disconnect from your player.
    8. Reboot to CWM recovery and do a full restore.

Note: If you're using R5 of my KlassicROM then system is already EXT4.

Thanks to zaclimon for advising me to eject from computer first
    I think I have it laying around somewhere, just a second...

EDIT: Here you go; http://db.tt/ws7on4Nj
    Sent from my YP-G1 running LinromV2
    Updated to R3.
    Converting to EXT4 should be much easier now due to the new way that CWM 5.2.0.7 does nandroid backups.