[Discussion]Linux and Android on the HD2 *READ POST3 BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS*

What would you like best on your HTC HD2 ?

• Windows Phone 7

Votes: 205 15.2%
  • GNU/Linux and Android

Votes: 1,077 80.0%
  • I'm happy with the shipped HD2 operating system

Votes: 64 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

zstjohn

Mar 25, 2010
Tacoma
Your right dcordes it doesn't really make alot of sense. why on earth you'd give money to someone who has put no work towards the goal before hand and someone like yourself who has put in a lot of work along with your other team members and gets nothing.

5-10 dollars should be something everyone can spare. skip a mcdonalds meal. decide not to go out and buy 3 energy drinks. buy one and donate the extra money.

mazzarin

Sep 29, 2008
dcordes,

The general response that was given to offered donations earlier in this thread was very off-putting. Not in the sense that it made people not want to donate, but I believe you said something along the lines of "just donate to an individual person" and something like you didn't want to work under a project where someone controls funding and who is on / off.

This unguided approach to donations didn't offer a vision, nor did it offer an easy way to help fund this project. I'm donating for the teams efforts, great! But wait, do I donate to you? What about dev2,3,4,5,etc.? Is there a split? What is appropriate?

The WP7s donation thread was extremely straight forward. Da_G is our point guy, he needs a HD2 and JTAG equipment, donate to this PayPal account and he'll get things done. It offered a clear vision, a hope, and an easy way to donate.

If you create (or someone you designate - heck, I'll do it, or HD2Owner, who made the WP7S donation thread) a HD2 Linux Donation thread where the facilitator distributes funding equally, I guarantee you that you'll see a total donation amount that dwarfs the WP7 project.

Last edited:

Rossimac

dcordes,

The general response that was given to offered donations earlier in this thread was very off-putting. Not in the sense that it made people not want to donate, but I believe you said something along the lines of "just donate to an individual person" and something like you didn't want to work under a project where someone controls funding and who is on / off.

This unguided approach to donations didn't offer a vision, nor did it offer an easy way to help fund this project. I'm donating for the teams efforts, great! But wait, do I donate to you? What about dev2,3,4,5,etc.? Is there a split? What is appropriate?

The WP7s donation thread was extremely straight forward. Da_G is our point guy, he needs a HD2 and JTAG equipment, donate to this PayPal account and he'll get things done. It offered a clear vision, a hope, and an easy way to donate.

If you create (or someone you designate - heck, I'll do it, or HD2Owner, who made the WP7S donation thread) a HD2 Linux Donation thread where the facilitator distributes funding equally, I guarantee you that you'll see a total donation amount that dwarfs the WP7 project.

this is so the truth. I'd be straight in there with my money.

Sheraz150

Feb 6, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
dcordes,

I understand where your coming from, but I think the reason your not getting many donations is because people want to see android on the HD2 first. I understand making the linux kernal was hard work, but thats something the average user can do nothing with. Now if you got android working on it, or even booting up. I'm sure many users including me would be happy to donate.

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
The guys over at WP7 on HD2 project (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=684346 ) are smart. They receive a lot of money for yet to be seen results.

I got the hd2 to help porting linux. I spent much time with this already which can be seen easily. But the donations I received in this context so far cannot even remotely buy an HD2.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just not OK to literally request money for certain tasks to be done?

As I said earlier in the thread I'm doing this for the fun of it. But still I hope some might understand why I'm asking myself those questions after seeing the 'wp7 megawealth'.

Please let me know what you think about this.

Thanks.

The way it was sounding earlier in the thread, people were waiting for you to ask for donations. I'm sure if you made a clear statement of what your plans for this project are and what you think is able to be finished, and requested donations, you would get a lot more. It'sstupid that da_g got so much for what he hasn't even done yet, yet you haven't gotten much for work you've already done. But thats how people are... if there's a certain goal to be reached money wise for a certain thing, people are more willing to donate. I think da_g is going to get a lot of pressure from people to get something accomplished, though... and i think some people who donated to him are going to be very disappointed if he doesn't accomplish what they hope he will.
Anyways, if you ask for them, I'm sure more will donate. Also, once android gets on it, you'll probably get more. You definitely deserve it. I plan on donating at least $40 to you once I get some money I'm waiting on in a few weeks.

bodybombs

Nov 21, 2009
central florida
dcordes,

I understand where your coming from, but I think the reason your not getting many donations is because people want to see android on the HD2 first. I understand making the linux kernal was hard work, but thats something the average user can do nothing with. Now if you got android working on it, or even booting up. I'm sure many users including me would be happy to donate.

but you cant achieve android on the platform without the linux kernal first, this was explained in the first post.

Nimche

Dec 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
Whether he got the Ando working on HD2 or still working on it, they deseve the money. At first he thought that people who has visited the thread and intrested in this development will help out with their funds without asking but that wasn't the case. From all the people who voted to the thread around 1080 wanted to have Ando on their HD2 and these people are the only people working on this Linux-Ando thing together. I don't know how many of them working only on Linux Kernel but I am sure dcordes working on ANDO for sure.

What if you "dcordes" talk to all the devs working on this and come to an agreement to work on this as a group and then whatever donation you got divide it between Ando Group. All we need is one account(paypal) to donate and you guys take care of the rest.

I bet dcordes got a booted Ando on his phone.

What a wonderful day.

Cheers

ozkaya

Mar 22, 2006
dcordes,

couple of pages back I offered we set up a seperate thread for donations and keep track of them and you were unwilling about that. but that's how it should be made, really. people need a goal amount and say, yeah, that's my name on the list, I'm a supporter and be proud ;) even tech sites donate to be on the list. and you won't be offering something yet to be done, there is already much progress like a working kernel. just my 2 cents ;)

chaps

Feb 15, 2007
Scarborough
Dcordes, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to chip in with donations, but you yourself have discouraged this in this thread;

Thanks, I agree. I'm no big fan of these donate threads. Especially in open source software projects like this. All dev info is public, everybody can contribute. Such threads make it sound like somebody is 'in charge' which is not the case. It will keep others from joining in. That's why my donate link says it's only for me personal.

Also your sig suggests that dontations to you go to no specific project. This could be seen as discouraging to the potential donator. Perhaps modify you sig and add a second donation link that will go towards getting linux on our HD2s.

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
The guys over at WP7 on HD2 project (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=684346 ) are smart. They receive a lot of money for yet to be seen results.

I got the hd2 to help porting linux. I spent much time with this already which can be seen easily. But the donations I received in this context so far cannot even remotely buy an HD2.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just not OK to literally request money for certain tasks to be done?

As I said earlier in the thread I'm doing this for the fun of it. But still I hope some might understand why I'm asking myself those questions after seeing the 'wp7 megawealth'.

Thanks.

BRo, I can get HD2's for around 350 euro!
You got my 20 euros donations :D

Love to see Android 2.1 or2.2 with Sense running on my HD2.

FrenchTart

Mar 2, 2010
I'm happy to donate $10 now and a fair chunk more once I've finished moving house and hence have more cash. If someone is going to keep track of the donations I'd prefer to wait for that but if that's not the way you want to do things then I'll happily just send something your way now.

Just post on here with clear instructions and we'll follow them :)

terminal 7

Jan 27, 2008
exeter, uk.

Thanks.

I think dcordes your signature that says...

Donations appreciated
This is for my personal efforts and does not go to any project.

kinda makes people think moneys arent for this hd2 project, i think you should change your signature to....

Donations appreciated
This is for my personal efforts and will help porting linux greatly - thankx :)

i hope i have been clear and not offended by my comments :)

sezarsf

Jan 13, 2010
how can i easy boot linux on my hd2? i read all pages but downt undrestand which file need for it?:mad:

cedesmith

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2010
look here.I did not read the whole thread but i think all that wealth waiting for someone to show a working android.

slayerns

Feb 19, 2010
The ones who say "people won't donate until they see android working on HD2", please think again. Dcordes has done the main job, the hard one and he definitely deserves donations. If i would have paypal i would donate 50$ for dcordes. Get your money out of the wallet!

FrenchTart

Mar 2, 2010
The ones who say "people won't donate until they see android working on HD2", please think again. Dcordes has done the main job, the hard one and he definitely deserves donations. If i would have paypal i would donate 50$ for dcordes. Get your money out of the wallet!

I don't think anyone has been saying that have they? Most of us seem more than happy to throw some money dcorde's way :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Development thread for Linux on the HTC HD2:cool:

PLEASE READ THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

Introduction:
    To run any Linux based user space on a device -this includes android, debian, ubuntu, openembedded, etc- you need a working Linux kernel.
    This thread discusses the development on Linux kernel and user space on the HTC HD2.
    All android ports to windows phones are based on the efforts of porting the Linux kernel to these devices. This is what all the porting is about. Nobody is porting Google Android to these phones. It works already.

Contributing:
    This is not a secret club. All source code and development information is publicly available. Everybody who is willing to contribute is free to join the development process.

People working on porting Linux to HD2:
    You can donate to the developers putting a lot of time into this Linux kernel port.
    (putting together android files (=>making "roms") is not the porting)

cr2
    NetRipper
    dcordes
    Markinus
    LeTama
    Cotulla
    dan1j3l
    Parad0XUA
    manusfreedom

Technical information for interested people:
    General Developer Information:
    http://htc-linux.org/

Leo/HD2 Wikipage
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Leo

Leo/HD2 Linux Kernel:
    git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git htc-msm-2.6.32
    gitweb: http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/htc-msm-2.6.32
    Patches welcome!!

How to compile the Kernel:
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=QuickDeveloperStartGuide#Kernel
    => use htc-msm-2.6.32 branch and htcleo machine type

How to contribute: (Please be aware that this is primarily for developers!)
    http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Contact

Newsflash:

Check http://twitter.com/htc_linux for extra quick news

03/24/2010 compass working, battery monitor added
    03/26/2010 moved to new htc-msm-2.6.32 branch
    03/29/2010 don't use ondemand governor
    04/01/2010 add ext3
    04/05/2010 dex, rtc, battery monitor, merged with google updates
    04/08/2010 naming and pm changes, timer problem is fixed (other low level problems still exist)
    04/09/2010 memory remapped
    04/14/2010 clock updates
    05/01/2010 the cause for the segmentation faults is still unknown. a new kernel was added based on codeaurora (see Leo kernel link 1st post)
    05/13/2010 update Image build with latest (minor) changes.
    05/19/2010 vfp/neon enabled in the 2.6.32.9 kernel. built with gcc-4.4.4 cross toolchain
    05/20/2010 new video player demo added
    06/02/2010 nothing new. but we are still working...
    06/10/2010 more attention to segfault/illegal instruction problem on lkml
    06/12/2010 usb host mode works perfectly. patches and build following
    06/12/2010 usb host mode changes committed, kernel build uploaded
    06/20/2010 linux is booting on qsd8250 based acer s200 - let's see if same cpu crash problem can be observed
    06/21/2010 same cpu crash on s200 - the problem is not specific to leo
    06/23/2010 Cotulla discovered desire/bravo bootloader has some workaround for a qsd8250 CPU hardware bug..
    06/24/2010 LeTama tried out running patched bravo kernel on leo and got the segfaults
    06/25/2010 Mailing list post from K. 'Cotulla' Ivan on how he found the solution to the infamous segmentation / illegal instruction problem on htc leo / hd2. Code in attachment see mailing list
    06/25/2010 NetRipper included Cotulla's qsd8250 initialization code in haret. Build available on NetRipper's website also see Mailing List
    06/25/2010 http://twitpic.com/20cruy http://twitpic.com/20cohg Messing around with ubuntu and other distributions using usb keyboard and mouse. Full potential of hd2's great speed and big display show. This runs real smooth. Soon as I got something easy to install I will upload it along with instructions on how to power the usb peripherals - without which you can't interact yet.
    06/28/2010 Android is working. It was very simple problem with a missing configuration setting in the kernel which is fixed now.
    06/29/2010 EXTRA EXTRA Major hurdle taken towards using touchscreen GPIO are xnow fixed. Again it's a problem about initialization so we need to add this in HaRET as well.
    06/29/2010 NetRipper - aka Fastest HaRET Developer In The West - made a HaRET with GPIO IRQ fix
    06/30/2010 Touchscreen source code now in linuxtogo git ;)
    06/30/2010 New wiki page on using usb host mode to connect peripheral devices.
    06/30/2010 zImage build with touchscreen, keypad, usb-host mode posted in build section.
    06/30/2010 First version of Ubuntu for HD2 released in the Build section
    07/01/2010 android with sense for HD2 in Build section
    07/04/2010 sensors working - (compass, G, light, proximity) - code available in git. See Build section for set of files to test. zImage in Advanced section updated. Thanks for the patch go to Parad0XUA
    07/05/2010 Vibro working too. Code pushed, zImage updated.
    07/05/2010 LeTama added WiFi support. Patch and Build following
    07/08/2010 Timers updated in htc-msm-2.6.32 kernel
    link to frequently updated kernel (zImage) autobuilds in advanced builds section added
    new wiki page with detailed status info http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Leo/Status
    07/10/2010 initial testing with 3g data connection, WiFi patches in git soon.
    07/10/2010 Source code for 3g data connection and WiFi are available from git now
    07/11/2010 New extra smooth android kit with the most recent Linux Kernel available in Android section! This has all kinds of stuff like hardware 3d acceleration, bluetooth, WiFi and 3g data connection included.
    07/13/2010 support for camera added. taking videos does not work yet
    07/14/2010 ongoing merge of Cotullas entire linux kernel sources (which added all the new features in recent builds) with the git kernel source code repository for hd2 Preliminary patch at http://oe.netripper.com/files/cotulla-merge.diff Sorry for the delayed release of the sources!
    07/16/2010 Many of the recent changes now in official git repository
    07/17/2010 Initial support for battery monitor and audio recording available. Linux kernel zImages on cotulla's site. No code available yet.
    07/18/2010 FM receiver working in android
    07/19/2010 Proximity sensor working in official git repository
    07/20/2010 we created a facebook page for the htc-linux project
    07/22/2010 due to legal concerns I will not directly link to ripped android images with proprietary parts which I am not allowed to distribute (e.g. HTC Sense). I don't want to cope with some lawyer mail.
    07/24/2010 please read this before releasing HD2 android roms http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7336826
    07/25/2010 some new updates in the local cotulla source tree farm: seems like he added support for switching the panel (display) on/off. Find latest zImage (Linux kernel builds) on cotula's site Unfortunately there is still no source code for the recent changes but it will be released soon.
    07/25/2010 turbo mode problem fix source code in official git kernel repository. autobuilds as usual on netripper site (look for zImage builds below)
    07/26/2010 Ready to go Ubuntu v0.2 with very big changelog in the making
    07/26/2010 a stable solution to the 3g DATA problem is found. I will add the kernel code and builds for the chefs later.
    07/27/2010 New ubuntu with working touchscreen, 3g, WiFi, texting, etc. available soon for hd2
    07/28/2010 Patchfor stable 3G Data connection in git. Google Android will need some adjustments to make use of it.
    07/28/2010 GPS library was successfully patched to make use of the HD2 GPS in android: http://cotulla.pp.ru/leo/Android/libgps.so
    07/30/2010 Ubuntu for HD2 v0.2 final version released. Go grab it! It's feature rich and touchscreen friendly.
    08/03/2010 New progress with the Linux kernel with audio during calls. A binary image can be downloaded from here. Sorry but no sources are available for this. (Patch author cotulla doesn't show the code yet)
    08/03/2010 Speak of the devil. Thank Cotulla for making his entire Linux kernel source code available. Now it's the turn of the fellow developers to merge it for ease of access and modification in the HD2 git kernel source repository.
    08/08/2010 All of the recent source code is now available in the Linux kernel git repository. See first post for further information.
    08/09/2010 Linux kernel image (zImage) and module autobuilds from the git source code are available at http://oe.netripper.com/files/htcleo_autobuild/ (-latest files always link to the latest build and get automatically update once there are changes in the source code available in git)
    08/10/2010 We are working to get a stable solution to use more memory in git. This is a useful initrd to test memory for errors automatically: http://linuxtogo.org/~lgorris/initrd-memtester-armv7a.cpio.gz
    08/11/2010 Full memory source code in git - uptodate zImage and modules at http://oe.netripper.com/files/htcleo_autobuild/ use THESE memory settings in startup.txt
    08/14/2010 Kernel update: 1) LED driver added 2) Support for WiFi-Hotspot (iptables) enabled. Update kernel and modules via instructions in FAQ page.
    08/20/2010 Flashlight support added. Grab the latest development kernel to get it! http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Leo/UpdateKernel

08/31/2010 Many changes in the Linux kernel since the last update:
    working flashlight
    ppp stability
    usb stability (works with windows7 now)
    fixed usb host mode kernel
    working backlight control in normal Linux distros
    working WiFi master (access point) mode: enables tethering (you might need to update firmware files. )

09/05/2010 We have been working on a new kernel base for the HD2 for few days now. Markinus started the initiative by introducing our present HD2 specific changes in the EVO4G release kernel source code. Right now the htc-msm-2.6.32 branch is still more advanced. We might create an autobuild for the EVO4G base kernel in case it will be superior at some point.

Builds

Global notes:
    *None of the current releases will touch your internal flash. After restart you are back in the usual winmo.
    *When Linux is booted, windoes mobile is shutdown abruptly. Although this is very rare it can cause some data loss. Please save your work and make frequent backups!
    *You need at least a 2.08 radio rom version installed on your HD2. If yu have an older version you might not be able to boot Linux.

Separate files
    For updating purposes and 'rom' creation
    Automatically compiled Linux kernel builds for the HTC HD2 from GIT source code.
    SEE FAQ SECTION BELOW FOR HOW TO INSTALL FRESH KERNEL
    View GIT changelog
    Click here to view autobuild history (archived dated zImages and modules)

Most recent zImage (Linux kernel image)
    zImage-htcleo-latest
    The Linux kernel is the core element of your operating system. It contains most of the drivers. It is supplied in form of a compressed (gzipped) executable binary Image. Along with an initial rootfilesystem aka initrd it is loaded into memory and executed by the bootlaoder HaRET.

Most recent Linux kernel modules to match zImage-htcleo-latest (has bcm4329.ko)
    modules-htcleo-latest.tgz
    Kernel modules are drivers that are not included in the zImage. They go seperately in .ko files. bcm4329.ko holds the wifi driver and tun.ko is needed for tunneling. For android use you must extract the modules.tgz file, search for the .ko files you need and copy them into /system/lib/modules/ directory. See FAQ for how to copy files into your android install.

HaRET (bootloader)
    HaRET.exe
    The haret bootloader is used to start Linux according to the instructions it reads from the file default.txt . If HaRET sees a file called startup.txt it will use this instead and boot Linux directly without any prompt.

startup.txt (bootloader/HaRET configuration - auto updated to match latest GIT kernel)
    startup.txt
    NOTE: This example configuration only holds the parameters critical to booting with latest GIT. Ask the person supplying you with 'roms' for additional parameters needed. See FAQ section for more detail on parameters.

Android
    Please browse the main HD2 Android forum for various recent builds.
    It is always important to install a recent kernel. See post #3 for how to.

Ubuntu
    Ubuntu for HD2 v0.2

This second version has many new features like connectivity and is fully functional with the HD2 touchscreen. (No more USB stuff needed!)
    If you would like to use USB devices like keyboard, mouse, usb stick etc, see here

release date: July 30, 2010
    filename: hd2-ubuntu_0.2.zip
    size: 773MB
    md5sum: 2d67bbe658cc7a9e8599e8adf7724768
    torrent: (use encouraged)
    http://linuxtogo.org/~lgorris/hd2/hd2-ubuntu_0.2.zip.torrent
    http://oe.netripper.com/files/hd2-ubuntu_0.2.zip.torrent
    direct mirrors:
    http://linuxtogo.org/~lgorris/hd2/hd2-ubuntu_0.2.zip
    http://oe.netripper.com/files/hd2-ubuntu_0.2.zip
    http://htc-linux.org/stuff/leo/hd2-ubuntu_0.2.zip

Quickinstall
    It is important to check included readme.txt for safety notes, usage instructions and other confusion!

*1) get storage card with at least 3GB free space
    *2) extract archive into root directory of storage card so that ubuntu folder is in \Sotrage Card\ubuntu
    *3) runt haret exe

Features and Changelog
    Kernel
    *Updated Linux kernel based on htc-msm-2.6.32 revision '3af9a39113d40887f42688108ff0dbdeefd8e4cc' (see first post)
    *Improved touch screen and keypad driver allow for decent navigation with the bare device
    *WiFi driver
    *3g driver
    *Vibration driver
    *Many [[Msm_Usb_Host|USB host]] drivers added (usb mass storage, audio, networking)
    *Battery, panel and bluetooth drivers not installed yet due to lack of available source code. (only zImages available)
    *Exact kernel source code with patches used included in archive.

Rootfilesystem based on the Karmic Koala from 0.1 release with
    *Enlarged rootfilesystem size (2,6GB)
    *Many tweaks for touchscreen use: on screen keyboard, enlarged GUI components, ..
    *One touch super easy operation of 3G and WiFi connections, screen rotation and other things
    *New packages installed, e.g. firefox and fennec browser with kinetic scrolling, pidgin instant messaging, ..
    *Easy installation of extra languages etc
    *GUI for the media player (gnome-mplayer) to allow basic control of the video playback

Note for testers of the old 0.2-beta release
    Thanks a lot for checking the beta and providing feedback! This allowed for fixing the following in final 0.2 release:
    *The off-screen content (e.g. wicd passphrase) problem was resolved adding ALT key (Home button on HD2) to drag windows around
    *Add gnome-mplayer gui for the accerlated mplayer
    *3G DNS hack removed (opendns caused problems accessing many websites)
    *Enlarge on screen keybaord

~
    yes camera too. sleep mode, i haven't tried video yet.
    Cotulla

Hi I hope that no one hates me for posting the same question again but I noticed for cotulla there is a patch and I have downloaded it. The only thing is I am not sure how to install the patch. Does anyone have any idea how? I put it in the root directory but noticed no change.

Is there a certain program or folder that I should move the patch into? Any help would be great thanks. :D
    I installed CopenWarren's Cyanogenmod 7 on my HD2 build 4/2/11.
    Ndrive does not work. It opens and then closes again. Any ideas on how to get it working?

It was working perfectly on Darkstone1337's superramfroyo 1.5
    Not all apps work on the GingerBread Builds.

Mark.