A complete noobs guide to root using the [CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1 - su+bb+CWM4

Search This thread

capaxdoli

Jun 15, 2011
New Delhi
A REAL TIME SUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT AT ROOTING BY A NOOB: ALL DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS HEREINUNDER:

INTRODUCTION: YOU CAN SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT: this is a detailed post...it was my recordings in realtime and so it is rather elaborate...i hope the reader puts up with my rantings...this post is basically a condensed version of the previous 58 pages...i hope i have posted one apt for the novice, which i am, and i read and read and read a little more till i was a little confident of doing this...but at every stage i felt chainfire nearby. Thanks fly to him...i dont earn much so i hope this bit would make up for it. this is more of a personalized version for the INDIAN friends and since i have an indian firmware that is all i could do...but i guess the steps are the same - please read this in conjunction with the instructions at pg. 1

Start time: 1:00 AM 6/16/2011 - well that actually does not count cause i took two days reading the forum top to bottom hmm...atleast till pg.57 which was the last

steps done until now:

1. downloaded kies 2 and had it install all the drivers.

2. connected phone for the first time to computer and kies 2 and it recognized it fine.

3. kies 2 also says that the software is uptodate.

4. the details of the versions are as follows:

Indian phone
Phone Version/Baseband = DDKE2
PDA/Kernel = XWKE8
CSE/Build No. = XWKE8

action begins:

5. a prayer to My Lord for safe rooting

6. go to pg 1 here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1103399

7. since i have ke8, i had chosen to download this file [CF-Root-SGS2_XW_ODD_KE8-v4.0-CWM4.zip] from the page mentioned at s.no.6. hereinabove

8. downloaded odin3-v1.85.zip, extract and open (no installation...gasp!)

9. the file mentioned in s.no.7 is a size of 7.01 MB and contains a .tar file with the same name and and inside the .tar file is the zimage file. all extracted into one folder. [edit 1: no need to extract the zimage file now...only the .tar file is required...the zimage file is required later for removing the yellow exclamation mark]

10. put the phone in download mode (press volume down + ok key + power on). a warning about custom OS flashes. press volume up key to continue.

11. pressed volume up key. the phone says that it has entered ODIN mode. it also says the following:

a. product name: GT-i9100
b. Custom Binary Download : No
c. current binary : Samsung Official
d. it also shows the android logo (the robot - big size) and says downloading...Do not turn off target !!

12. after this i connected the phone to the computer (remember it is in download mode) and the drivers were installed again.

13. shift to odin and i saw that under ID.com, there is a yellow background box and it says 0:[COM13]. in the message box (lower left corner) it says <ID:0/013> Added!!

14. i made sure re-partition is not checked in odin.

15. clicked the start button...

16. the phone re-booted just like the thread at pg. 1 said it would and before it re-started the initial boot screen showed the yellow exclamation mark (or was it a black one with a yellow background...). nevertheless, it did reboot.

17. the following changes took place in odin:

a) the top box (right at the top) reads now as PASS! and the smaller one below that reads 0:8.
b) The box below that is the usual yellow one as mentioned above. The message box fills with 15 lines. they read as follows:
<ID:0/013> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/013> Initialzation..
<ID:0/013> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/013> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/013> zImage
<ID:0/013> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/013> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/013> RES OK !!
<ID:0/013> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/013> Removed!!
<ID:0/014> Added!!
<ID:0/014> Removed!!
<ID:0/012> Added!!
<ID:0/012> Removed!!

18. after reboot, go to applications - I see two icons viz. CWM (gear wheel) and superuser (skull).

19. now to check if the phone is really rooted...there was an entry by another fellow learner viz. ithehappy: his posts are at pgs. 37, 39, 39 and 40. please make sure you read it...its awesome...learnt a lot <relatively of course> from that post

20. to confirm if the phone is rooted, see if this has happened: source: pg. 38

"see if you have the superuser app installed. Also, when you start Titanium Backup it should state whether you have root access or not. You will receive an error message when you don't have root."

21. thus, as per the post, i am downloading titanium backup now and it was successfully installed. now to the actual test. another prayer to the Lord Almighty

22. SWEET!! the app viz. titanium superuser asks for root access and i just gave it and do you guys know that means...yipee i have root access...apps here i come first thing to do : gotta change that stupid lock screen

23. PS: chainfire - thanks fly out to all who posted here...there were a few unnecessary posts but then again like life just take the ones you need...the ones i needed were at pg. 37 to 41 and also at 52 is a post by geko95gek which deals with the yellow triangle at boot.

24. just switched off and restarted the phone. the boot screen shows the yellow exclamation mark. gotta work on that now.

more updates on that later...(in a few minutes)...

though i keep lurking in the boards this is the first time i have actually gone and registered <selfish me> and so i had to wait nearly an hour to make the 10 posts before i can post this there...but gotta respect policy...its for the greater good of a greater number...anyway back to business

25. in order to remove the yellow exclamation at boot, the instruction at pg. 1 says, among other things, to "Find an original Samsung signed stock kernel (preferably from the same stock firmware you have, but it's not terribly important)" now i have been searching for it in this thread itself...damn sure i saw it here...will go look for it now...will get back soon...time: 2.41 a.m.

26. back on. time is now. 3.17 (damn! half hour to find the stock kernel...see how much time i am saving for you guys he he - just a little self-indulgence). the stock kernals for all relevant firmwares are here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1075278 - thanks to nobnut's post at pg. 48

27. again as mentioned before i chose the file under XWKE8 cause the Indian default i guess is that... the stock kernel is what we need and that is what we are doing now. i guess the <oops...time: 3.49 - something wrong with the internet connection...damn!! just when i was so close...called up the service provided (airtel) and they confirmed its a problem at their end and are working at it asap. <gotta wait>...so close and yet so far!
yahoo...3.57 - back on line...>

28. this is the file that i downloaded from the thread mentioned at s.no. 26: XWKE8 Stock Kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/ZTRYIQ5S35. this is the file name: GT-I9100_INU_I9100XWKE8_Kernel.exe and it is 6.11 MB. i downloaded it from here...http://depositfiles.com/en/files/db7m31qw4...it has a one-minute wait time.

29. all files ready to fire!. so far this is what i have done:
a) chose the stock kernal (this is an exe file)
b) extracted zimage file
c) copied the zimage file to the root of the phone memory...the instructions at pg. 1 state that it must be in the sd card but i found at step 34 that when accesing CWM Manager, it does not do so from the card but only the phone memory shows...perhaps i did not know how to go to the sd card. but anyway this is what i did...just paste the zimage file in the phone memory.

30. put the phone in download mode again. the same thing as mentioned above is stated except for two changes that the counter for custom binary download should read YES (1 count) and current binary should read: custom

31. plug the phone back to odin and the yellow rectangle should activate.

32. this is important now: the instruction on page 1 are not clear so i hope nothing goes wrong...prayer again fly to My Lord. ok here goes: run the exe file i.e. the stock kernal and input the password: intratech@XDA. it extracts a .tar file. this has to go into odin...but where? i put it in the pda button just like the last time and clicked on start. <perhaps the instructions were not clear cause chainfire presumes noobs are intelligent...i certainly am not he he). aweee...that worked

33. the odin does its magic and this is the output:

<ID:0/013> Added!!
<ID:0/013> Odin v.3 engine (ID:13)..
<ID:0/013> File analysis..

34. the phone reboots itself. eject the phone. now do as the instructions say. go to cwm manager in appliacations, open it, choose flash kernal and then it must show the phone memory where right on top is the zimage file. just click on it and touch ok. phone reboots and voila...there is no yellow exclamation.

35. heave a sigh of relief and thank God for his kindness...ONN and samsung for the phone. Thanks to windows 7 for the notepad

end: 4:47 AM 6/16/2011

i hope i helped atleast one person...crossing my finger

-j.ram-

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
I know you put a lot of effect in this, but I think it is totally obsolete, if you can't follow the instructions given by Chainfire....

Instructions - ODIN (long)
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
- Put your phone in download mode
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure repartition is NOT checked
- Click the START button
- Wait for the phone to reboot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Then you really should not be around xda.

Last edited:

iznee

Oct 1, 2007
After such a long narration...i really feel that..after this, if anyone still ask how do i root using chainfire's method??...Really needs a kick on the arse

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

B3311

Feb 16, 2011
Gelderd End, 1974
I know you put a lot of effect in this, but I think it is totally obsolete, if you can't follow the instructions given by Chainfire....

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Start ODIN
- Click the START button

I think you're being way too harsh on the guy.

A self-confessed noob, he obviously did his homework, and as he says, it may spare other noobs reading through 50+ pages.

Over-detailed? Maybe. So what? Who's he hurting/offending? Not me for sure, why you?

"Then you really shouldn't be around xda" - Bollocks. Who made you judge, jury and executioner?

Last edited:

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam

A self-confessed noob, he obviously did his homework, and as he says, it may spare other noobs reading through 50+ pages.

Over-detailed? Maybe. So what? Who's he hurting/offending? Not me for sure, why you?

"Then you really shouldn't be around xda" - Bollocks. Who made you judge, jury and executioner?

I am not talking about him. If I did that it was not my intention. My apologies for that. I was talking about people in general. If they can't follow the simple instructions given by Chainfire, then they should not be messing with their phone in the first place.

Reactions: braveBuddy

B3311

Feb 16, 2011
Gelderd End, 1974
I am not talking about him. If I did that it was not my intention. My apologies for that. I was talking about people in general. If they can't follow the simple instructions given by Chainfire, then they should not be messing with their phone in the first place.

Fair enough. Whatever. But since your first words in your reply were:

- sure looks like you were talking about him....

Reactions: capaxdoli

capaxdoli

Jun 15, 2011
New Delhi
thanks for the support B3311.

let us keep the forum free for any questions that may crop up. <i know i had a ton of them before i went into the procedure>. one more aspect - as mentioned in the primary post, this is only to be in conjunction and not to replace chainfire's awesome root. he is busy making stuff so i guess we should not overburden him with the description and then a ton of question that usually follow by noobs like me :)

P.S. thank again for the support B3311 <never usually get those online>

Reactions: ndnesh and B3311

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Nothing wrong with posting how to for noobs as the original posts of any method are often spread over a few pages and even desperate topics .

But numptys are still going to post in this very thread a few pages on not having bothered to read the instructions as usual .

jje

AnDruid

Aug 20, 2009
Yeah and you guyz *****ing for nothing are not helping too.

Well the OPs effort should be appreciated. While I had had an Android phone and root and had used more than 15-20 roms on my earlier phone (an HTC), i did not knew simple stuff like how to enter the Download mode (or how to get out of it save from Odin, which I still don't know). I had to search the forum for that and other such things. However, now I know I could have given the XDA phone wiki (http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S_II_Series) a look.

A newer guy might well have started a new thread in that situation. I guess part of the problem is that the useful threads can get buried back pretty quickly, and the Search function does not search inside post text by default (only looks at titles). A wiki might turn out to be useful for such situations. However the XDA SGS2 wiki is still quite sparse. I think putting info and links in it will really help, and we should also have a pinned thread with link to the wiki at the top of different Forum etc (maybe I am moving into an area not quite related to development, so will stop here.)

Last edited:

capaxdoli

Jun 15, 2011
New Delhi
yes, yes YES!!!!

Well the OPs effort should be appreciated. While I had had an Android phone and root and had used more than 15-20 roms on my earlier phone (an HTC), i did not knew simple stuff like how to enter the Download mode (or how to get out of it save from Odin, which I still don't know). I had to search the forum for that and other such things. However, now I know I could have given the XDA phone wiki (http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S_II_Series) a look.

A newer guy might well have started a new thread in that situation. I guess part of the problem is that the useful threads can get buried back pretty quickly, and the Search function does not search inside post text by default (only looks at titles). A wiki might turn out to be useful for such situations. However the XDA SGS2 wiki is still quite sparse. I think putting info and links in it will really help, and we should also have a pinned thread with link to the wiki at the top of different Forum etc (maybe I am moving into an area not quite related to development, so will stop here.)

In total concurrence with you mate!

sajadkhan806

Nov 3, 2010
kashmir
buddy this is the best and easiest guide for flashing looks like teaching a nursery class student.excellent job rooted the phone easily but u missed the most important part of the guide. u didnt mentioned the after opening the odin we should click pda and browse the tar file and select it... then click start which wasted my half an hour. otherwise it would have took only 5 mins to root
and there is no comment on page 52 by geko95gek
can u plz tell me in easy steps how to remove that yellow triangle

this is the best and easiest guide, thanks a lot for this :p

Last edited:

DaFileFather

Mar 24, 2005
buddy this is the best and easiest guide for flashing looks like teaching a nursery class student.excellent job rooted the phone easily but u missed the most important part of the guide. u didnt mentioned the after opening the odin we should click pda and browse the tar file and select it... then click start which wasted my half an hour. otherwise it would have took only 5 mins to root

agree with that. if i hadn't rooted already via the topic of CF.. i would defenitly used this thread! thanks.

to get rid of the triangle very quick:

-buy a USB JIG
-put ur phone off.
-plug the JIG in..

-wait for message..

-unplug JIG!

-restart phone

and TADA!
removed!

capaxdoli

Jun 15, 2011
New Delhi
thanks for filling in

sorry about that mate...as i had said...this is to be in conjunction with the prelim post. i was under the impression that it was mentioned in the first post. but thanks for pointing it out. i am sure another noob would have the same query and would bless you :). i guess the pages here are not static. they keep changing. nevertheless the change is not too dramatic...its just one or two.

removing the yellow triangle is also covered mate...see the last few steps...enjoy your root :)

P.S. the usb jig sounds interesting and really easy but then one has to purchase it :)

DaFileFather

Mar 24, 2005
sorry about that mate...as i had said...this is to be in conjunction with the prelim post. i was under the impression that it was mentioned in the first post. but thanks for pointing it out. i am sure another noob would have the same query and would bless you :). i guess the pages here are not static. they keep changing. nevertheless the change is not too dramatic...its just one or two.

removing the yellow triangle is also covered mate...see the last few steps...enjoy your root :)

P.S. the usb jig sounds interesting and really easy but then one has to purchase it :)

yep. but they only cost 4 bugs or so.. so no big deal.
search ebay.
or like xin said.. make ur own.. if ur handy :rolleyes:..i'm not... so got mine already via ebay!

robgmun

Apr 6, 2007

People like you are so quick to forget that you were once a noob too. Why don't you piss off somewhere else with your snobby attitude and let others learn? Or are you some kind of elitist asshole that's scared of too many people knowing what to do?

Last edited:

ratcom

Mar 1, 2005
Nottingham, England
Great thread mate, and yep while it may look a little over the top for most people trust me you will help a lot more who are searching for greater detail before trying there first flash and root :) I will personally use it once my sgs2 arrives to make sure nothing goes wrong and trust me I've flash and cooked many roms in the past but never used a samsung so I'll too join the ranks of noob soon.

Now if only my upgrade was due sooner than the end of June and I could get rid of this bloody iPhone lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A REAL TIME SUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT AT ROOTING BY A NOOB: ALL DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS HEREINUNDER:

INTRODUCTION: YOU CAN SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT: this is a detailed post...it was my recordings in realtime and so it is rather elaborate...i hope the reader puts up with my rantings...this post is basically a condensed version of the previous 58 pages...i hope i have posted one apt for the novice, which i am, and i read and read and read a little more till i was a little confident of doing this...but at every stage i felt chainfire nearby. Thanks fly to him...i dont earn much so i hope this bit would make up for it. this is more of a personalized version for the INDIAN friends and since i have an indian firmware that is all i could do...but i guess the steps are the same - please read this in conjunction with the instructions at pg. 1

Start time: 1:00 AM 6/16/2011 - well that actually does not count cause i took two days reading the forum top to bottom hmm...atleast till pg.57 which was the last

steps done until now:

1. downloaded kies 2 and had it install all the drivers.

2. connected phone for the first time to computer and kies 2 and it recognized it fine.

3. kies 2 also says that the software is uptodate.

4. the details of the versions are as follows:

Indian phone
    Phone Version/Baseband = DDKE2
    PDA/Kernel = XWKE8
    CSE/Build No. = XWKE8

action begins:

5. a prayer to My Lord for safe rooting

6. go to pg 1 here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1103399

7. since i have ke8, i had chosen to download this file [CF-Root-SGS2_XW_ODD_KE8-v4.0-CWM4.zip] from the page mentioned at s.no.6. hereinabove

8. downloaded odin3-v1.85.zip, extract and open (no installation...gasp!)

9. the file mentioned in s.no.7 is a size of 7.01 MB and contains a .tar file with the same name and and inside the .tar file is the zimage file. all extracted into one folder. [edit 1: no need to extract the zimage file now...only the .tar file is required...the zimage file is required later for removing the yellow exclamation mark]

10. put the phone in download mode (press volume down + ok key + power on). a warning about custom OS flashes. press volume up key to continue.

11. pressed volume up key. the phone says that it has entered ODIN mode. it also says the following:

a. product name: GT-i9100
    b. Custom Binary Download : No
    c. current binary : Samsung Official
    d. it also shows the android logo (the robot - big size) and says downloading...Do not turn off target !!

12. after this i connected the phone to the computer (remember it is in download mode) and the drivers were installed again.

13. shift to odin and i saw that under ID.com, there is a yellow background box and it says 0:[COM13]. in the message box (lower left corner) it says <ID:0/013> Added!!

14. i made sure re-partition is not checked in odin.

15. clicked the start button...

16. the phone re-booted just like the thread at pg. 1 said it would and before it re-started the initial boot screen showed the yellow exclamation mark (or was it a black one with a yellow background...). nevertheless, it did reboot.

17. the following changes took place in odin:

a) the top box (right at the top) reads now as PASS! and the smaller one below that reads 0:8.
    b) The box below that is the usual yellow one as mentioned above. The message box fills with 15 lines. they read as follows:
    <ID:0/014> Added!!
    <ID:0/014> Removed!!
    <ID:0/012> Added!!
    <ID:0/012> Removed!!

18. after reboot, go to applications - I see two icons viz. CWM (gear wheel) and superuser (skull).

19. now to check if the phone is really rooted...there was an entry by another fellow learner viz. ithehappy: his posts are at pgs. 37, 39, 39 and 40. please make sure you read it...its awesome...learnt a lot <relatively of course> from that post

20. to confirm if the phone is rooted, see if this has happened: source: pg. 38

"see if you have the superuser app installed. Also, when you start Titanium Backup it should state whether you have root access or not. You will receive an error message when you don't have root."

21. thus, as per the post, i am downloading titanium backup now and it was successfully installed. now to the actual test. another prayer to the Lord Almighty

22. SWEET!! the app viz. titanium superuser asks for root access and i just gave it and do you guys know that means...yipee i have root access...apps here i come first thing to do : gotta change that stupid lock screen

23. PS: chainfire - thanks fly out to all who posted here...there were a few unnecessary posts but then again like life just take the ones you need...the ones i needed were at pg. 37 to 41 and also at 52 is a post by geko95gek which deals with the yellow triangle at boot.

24. just switched off and restarted the phone. the boot screen shows the yellow exclamation mark. gotta work on that now.

more updates on that later...(in a few minutes)...

though i keep lurking in the boards this is the first time i have actually gone and registered <selfish me> and so i had to wait nearly an hour to make the 10 posts before i can post this there...but gotta respect policy...its for the greater good of a greater number...anyway back to business

25. in order to remove the yellow exclamation at boot, the instruction at pg. 1 says, among other things, to "Find an original Samsung signed stock kernel (preferably from the same stock firmware you have, but it's not terribly important)" now i have been searching for it in this thread itself...damn sure i saw it here...will go look for it now...will get back soon...time: 2.41 a.m.

26. back on. time is now. 3.17 (damn! half hour to find the stock kernel...see how much time i am saving for you guys he he - just a little self-indulgence). the stock kernals for all relevant firmwares are here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1075278 - thanks to nobnut's post at pg. 48

27. again as mentioned before i chose the file under XWKE8 cause the Indian default i guess is that... the stock kernel is what we need and that is what we are doing now. i guess the <oops...time: 3.49 - something wrong with the internet connection...damn!! just when i was so close...called up the service provided (airtel) and they confirmed its a problem at their end and are working at it asap. <gotta wait>...so close and yet so far!
    yahoo...3.57 - back on line...>

28. this is the file that i downloaded from the thread mentioned at s.no. 26: XWKE8 Stock Kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/ZTRYIQ5S35. this is the file name: GT-I9100_INU_I9100XWKE8_Kernel.exe and it is 6.11 MB. i downloaded it from here...http://depositfiles.com/en/files/db7m31qw4...it has a one-minute wait time.

29. all files ready to fire!. so far this is what i have done:
    a) chose the stock kernal (this is an exe file)
    b) extracted zimage file
    c) copied the zimage file to the root of the phone memory...the instructions at pg. 1 state that it must be in the sd card but i found at step 34 that when accesing CWM Manager, it does not do so from the card but only the phone memory shows...perhaps i did not know how to go to the sd card. but anyway this is what i did...just paste the zimage file in the phone memory.

30. put the phone in download mode again. the same thing as mentioned above is stated except for two changes that the counter for custom binary download should read YES (1 count) and current binary should read: custom

31. plug the phone back to odin and the yellow rectangle should activate.

32. this is important now: the instruction on page 1 are not clear so i hope nothing goes wrong...prayer again fly to My Lord. ok here goes: run the exe file i.e. the stock kernal and input the password: intratech@XDA. it extracts a .tar file. this has to go into odin...but where? i put it in the pda button just like the last time and clicked on start. <perhaps the instructions were not clear cause chainfire presumes noobs are intelligent...i certainly am not he he). aweee...that worked

33. the odin does its magic and this is the output:

<ID:0/013> Added!!
    <ID:0/013> Odin v.3 engine (ID:13)..
    <ID:0/013> File analysis..

34. the phone reboots itself. eject the phone. now do as the instructions say. go to cwm manager in appliacations, open it, choose flash kernal and then it must show the phone memory where right on top is the zimage file. just click on it and touch ok. phone reboots and voila...there is no yellow exclamation.

35. heave a sigh of relief and thank God for his kindness...ONN and samsung for the phone. Thanks to windows 7 for the notepad

end: 4:47 AM 6/16/2011

i hope i helped atleast one person...crossing my finger

-j.ram-

- Start ODIN
    - Click the START button

- Start ODIN
    - Click the START button

thanks for filling in

People like you are so quick to forget that you were once a noob too. Why don't you piss off somewhere else with your snobby attitude and let others learn? Or are you some kind of elitist asshole that's scared of too many people knowing what to do?