First Impressions on your new Nokia 800

How good is the Lumia 800?

• Total voters
Search This thread

arkedk

Sep 13, 2010
Copenhagen
ASUS ZenFone 8
Hey build issues did you have with the first two devices ??

I'm also still waiting for the last firmware 11500 update, and the four devices i sold today didn't get the 11500 update either when i updated them in the shop.

The first one I got was not properly seated in the casing on the right side of the screen, so when using the phone it had an annoying click sound when using the touchscreen.
The second one had a scratch on the inside of the screen.
And this third one has bad battery. Now the release of the firmware update is going to be during next week according to a Danish Nokia technician.

Alfi91

Nov 24, 2011
XDA
Brilliant.

After being a user of android for the last 3 years since the release of samsung i5700(iv changed around 5 phones on the way all of them android) and the iPod Touch 4g for the last one year, the lg optimus 7 I got as a second hand phone was a breath of fresh air. I couldnt believe how a phone with a first generation snapdragon could be smoother than my desire s or my friends Galaxy S2. I used it for three weeks and decided I needed to upgrade to the best WP7.

Nokia lumia 800 was even better than I expected. Picked one off ebay for half the price it was on the highstreet. And it has really blown me away. The screen is fantastic. The device itself is the most beautiful object iv ever seen. Perfect in every detail. Its design puts every device iv used to shame (yes even the white iPhone).

The functionality of the phone is top-notch. It fast, blazing fast, and works perfectly out of the box. It may be my luck but the phone i got 4 days ago had the latest firmware and OS. So things just worked. And IE on WP7 is the smoothest mobile browser in the market right now.

And the screen, its definitely on par with the best. The other choice I had was an HTC Titan and using both phones in carphone warehouse i felt like the lumia edged out on the titan because of its screen. And I'm not particularly interested in mini tablets (the titan is huge).

If you are thinking of getting a new phone and are not particular about operating systems or are not tied down ridiculously to an ecosystem then do give this phone a try. Ill be keeping this as long as a front facing camera doesn't become an absolute necessity.

Gnarfsan

Aug 10, 2010
I'm back to using my SGS 2. I can't work with the screen size and I find myself considering battery life whatever I do on the Lumia. My SGS 2 on the other hand is like the bloody Duracell bunny in comparison.

Reactions: jbbandos

fletcher1989

Jan 31, 2012
Irvine
The time has come, I have called up vodafone today and asked them to exchange my Lumia for a new one. New ones comes tomorrow.

The reason for this is because the device today died while at college. Now you will never guess how long my device lasted, after being on an 8-9 hour night charge.

It lasted a total of 5 HOURS!

5 bloody hours......this is not right. Nokia better get there finger out and get these updates rolling.

So now im am back to my trusty iPhone 4s.

Pdauser92

May 3, 2005
London
Hey build issues did you have with the first two devices ??

I'm also still waiting for the last firmware 11500 update, and the four devices i sold today didn't get the 11500 update either when i updated them in the shop.

My phone prompted for an update to 11500 as soon as it connected to Zune. I then used the files from the thread below to force the 8107 update, which went smoothly with no issues. The phone I have is locked to Orange UK.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1306415

Last edited:

johnsies

Dec 7, 2011
I haven't been able to put it down because I've been too busy admiring it's beauty. Battery life hasn't been great just enough to last from 7AM to 8PM but hopefully in the next few days, it'll show it's worth.

sendark

Feb 9, 2010
Hey i like the phone. My only concern is that i'm a headphone freak and switching over from Apple, all my headphones (AIAIAI TMA-1) with volume control and mic dont work, and nokia suggests that i buy a pair of their horrible 'pure' headphones.

Do you think this will be fixed in the future? I clearly see no reason why the software can't handle apple-style remotes, especially when the long-middle-button-press does bring the speech recognition window up.

That's the only concern, if they get that fixed (which they really have to) then the lumia becomes a serious contender.

surferjox

Jan 25, 2009
The first one I got was not properly seated in the casing on the right side of the screen, so when using the phone it had an annoying click sound when using the touchscreen.
The second one had a scratch on the inside of the screen.
And this third one has bad battery. Now the release of the firmware update is going to be during next week according to a Danish Nokia technician.

I had the same problem with the screen not proper attached on my lumia 800, making clicking sound when pressing the middle of the screen. Got a new lumia same day, no problems with that one :) Just love the phone. My previous phone where a Htc Hd2 running wp7 mangoo.. But what an improvment with a "real" wp7 device. My smile is still there 3 weeks using the phone :D

newabv

Feb 15, 2012
I am coming from BlackBerry, iPhone and Android.
Nokia Lumia with WP is fantastic!
Probably there are some issues but compared with others... oh LUMIA is my choice.
I am just unhappy about people who buying what is "number 1" - here in Bulgaria everybody want iPhone or SGS2 :rolleyes:
I remember the times when I start to use BB, people in Bulgaria wanted only Symbian and wandered what stupid phone is mine :)
Now is like as it was before :D
WP needs some support to prove its advantages.

jambo89liam

Mar 25, 2010
Just got my new phone loving it. Tho there's one problem: when its on low brightness and you look at the screen at certain angles the colours get discoloured, has anybody noticed this?

Greycloud

May 14, 2011
@Lumia 800 Owners : Out of 16GB how much storage space is available for users for storing music/apps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Brilliant.

After being a user of android for the last 3 years since the release of samsung i5700(iv changed around 5 phones on the way all of them android) and the iPod Touch 4g for the last one year, the lg optimus 7 I got as a second hand phone was a breath of fresh air. I couldnt believe how a phone with a first generation snapdragon could be smoother than my desire s or my friends Galaxy S2. I used it for three weeks and decided I needed to upgrade to the best WP7.

Nokia lumia 800 was even better than I expected. Picked one off ebay for half the price it was on the highstreet. And it has really blown me away. The screen is fantastic. The device itself is the most beautiful object iv ever seen. Perfect in every detail. Its design puts every device iv used to shame (yes even the white iPhone).

The functionality of the phone is top-notch. It fast, blazing fast, and works perfectly out of the box. It may be my luck but the phone i got 4 days ago had the latest firmware and OS. So things just worked. And IE on WP7 is the smoothest mobile browser in the market right now.

And the screen, its definitely on par with the best. The other choice I had was an HTC Titan and using both phones in carphone warehouse i felt like the lumia edged out on the titan because of its screen. And I'm not particularly interested in mini tablets (the titan is huge).

If you are thinking of getting a new phone and are not particular about operating systems or are not tied down ridiculously to an ecosystem then do give this phone a try. Ill be keeping this as long as a front facing camera doesn't become an absolute necessity.
    I love both screens, The 4s yes is very clear, but so is the lumia. I find it very hard to say one or the other. I love the font on the windows phone, so easy to read and yes so crisp.

I have just turned the brightness right up on both phones and opened the exact same email on both. The font on the 4s is a lot more "rounded" easier on the eyes. However both screens are amazing. Don't get me wrong i am really happy with the lumia screen.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Might not make much of a difference but i will take a picture of both side by side to see if you can notice anything. Might not be great. I will take the picture with an iphone 4.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Here is a comparison of the two phone screens.

IMG_0459.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Doesn't really do much for the screens, as they look a lot clearer in person. Its hard to show how clear they both are and how hard it is to decide which screen is superior in my eyes. Someone else might be able to give more of an opinion.
    Do share your findings. I have an iPhone 4S too and bought it as an in between phone. The lumia hadden't hit Denmark at the the time i needed to switch phones. I started out preordering the lumia from Germany but cancelled that cuase i wanted to try it first hand. It's out in Denmark now but haven't had the time to try it out yet.
    I like the iPhone, but it's design just doesn't do it and i need to 'hide' it in a cover cuase of the glas backcover, it's just to fragile imo and what's the point with a slick design if you need to cover it up? Not well thought of Apple.
    Anyway could be nice with your input as you also is an owner of the 4S :)

Regards Dousan...

Well I've had it for a few hours now and I LOVE IT, fantastic bit of kit and very sleek design, intuitive and snappy, really like the minimal feel of the OS and how it integrates social stuff onto your live tiles, I recommend getting one!

The 4s is going up for sale now :D
    I too, was sceptic about the pentile screen before buying the device. I have always disliked phones with pentile (without really using them) as they are not as sharp and looks somewhat "out of focus" compared to others.

I can say now though after some days of use that it doesn't bother me at all anymore. The rest of its characteristics makes up for the pentile screen. Such as the deep black it has and the response time compared to my old sharper screen. I would take this screen over the 4s screen even though it's sharper. I can not live without amoled blacks once I've gotten used to it.
    Has anyone noticed that on the "start menu" (I don't know what to call it when you swipe right from the home screen) that there isn't a series of letters to quickly navigate your app list? This is on other devices in the Mango update. I know I was excited when it turned up on my HD7.

Either I'm been dense and can't find the option, or it's disabled on Nokia's...

Thanks
    Dave

The jump list is only invoked once you have installed over a certain amount of apps :)