[APP] NookColor Tools - Access hidden settings

Search This thread
Feb 26, 2014
help

greetings, nookies :)

i just threw together this app for the NookColor. it gives you access to hidden system settings, and allows you to select soft keyboards that are installed.

it's super basic and ugly right now, but i hope it will come in handy. i plan to expand and refine it as time goes on.

when you click the All Settings button, you'll see a list of all the available preference panels. note that some of them don't work. not sure why.

some highlights:
- Development > Auto Mount - turn off usb auto mount
- Development > Manage Applications - uninstall apps, clear defaults
- Battery Use
- SD Card and Phone Storage - shows available space in internal storage
- Testing > Battery Info - status, voltage, temp, etc
- Testing > Battery History
- Testing > Usage statistics

if you find yourself on a screen without a back button, remember that you can swipe left over the notification bar at the bottom, if it's showing.

for info on installing other keyboards, see this thread. basically, you need to copy your keyboard's apk to /system/app and reboot. if you haven't done this before, here's a howto.

new! to enable the non-market apps checkbox, you need to copy this apk to /system/app. if you have 0.1 installed, uninstall it first, then copy 0.2 to /system/app and reboot. this is necessary for the app to have the right permissions to modify secure system settings. the app will still work if you install it the normal way, but you won't be able to use the non-market apps checkbox.

as usual, i accept no responsibility if this messes up your device. use at your own risk.

changelog:

0.2 - added install non-market apps option. apk must be in /system/app to enable this feature. filtered some unusable settings screens out. added some descriptions for the buttons.

i tried that and it says install of downloaded apks is not supported. and i have a rooted nook color with 1.0.0 using the auto nooter rom please help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i just threw together this app for the NookColor. it gives you access to hidden system settings, and allows you to select soft keyboards that are installed.

it's super basic and ugly right now, but i hope it will come in handy. i plan to expand and refine it as time goes on.

when you click the All Settings button, you'll see a list of all the available preference panels. note that some of them don't work. not sure why.

some highlights:
    - Development > Auto Mount - turn off usb auto mount
    - Development > Manage Applications - uninstall apps, clear defaults
    - Battery Use
    - SD Card and Phone Storage - shows available space in internal storage
    - Testing > Battery Info - status, voltage, temp, etc
    - Testing > Battery History
    - Testing > Usage statistics

if you find yourself on a screen without a back button, remember that you can swipe left over the notification bar at the bottom, if it's showing.

for info on installing other keyboards, see this thread. basically, you need to copy your keyboard's apk to /system/app and reboot. if you haven't done this before, here's a howto.

new! to enable the non-market apps checkbox, you need to copy this apk to /system/app. if you have 0.1 installed, uninstall it first, then copy 0.2 to /system/app and reboot. this is necessary for the app to have the right permissions to modify secure system settings. the app will still work if you install it the normal way, but you won't be able to use the non-market apps checkbox.

as usual, i accept no responsibility if this messes up your device. use at your own risk.

changelog:

0.2 - added install non-market apps option. apk must be in /system/app to enable this feature. filtered some unusable settings screens out. added some descriptions for the buttons.

for info on installing other keyboards, see this thread.

I prefer to be reffered to as Nooker thanks, lol

Nice, I'll give'r a try..

-CC

EDIT: OOh nice, development settings access, usb debug mode, usb auto mounting galore..
    Thank you very much! Unfortunately it didn't help my keyboard problem because the only keyboard that showed up was "To enable it (the Scandinavian keyboard) go to Settings - Language & keyboard. There you need to check Scandinavian keyboard if it's not checked". So I'm guessin that it's not checked and that the specific settings file (I guess it's like a control panel app in Windows) isn't even there on a Nook. Or is it just not activated that easily?

If I try to launch the keyboard i get "Activity not found". Any idea if there is another setting to activate the keyboard for use?
    yeah, i'm willing to release the source. when i have time on monday, i'll throw it up on google code.

sorry for the delay on this. been busy. i'll just post the source code here. i expect this app will be fairly short lived, since once we have froyo on the NC, we won't need it anymore :)
    I see the same behavior and I have not yet disabled the "cell standby" apks.