[HACK][3G][GSM]: Faster cellular data speed

Search This thread

bahathir

Feb 14, 2010
Disclaimer:
1) This is for developers and advanced users who know what to do.
2) Do it at your own risk. I am not responsible to any problem due to this modification/hacking.
3) I am not showing how to change/edit the file.

3 days ago, I did a change in /system/etc/ppp/peers/pppd-ril.options.

This is the orignal content of the file.
Code:
nodetach
debug
noauth
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect-delay 1000
# Don't remove the user/password lines.  They are required to make PPPD authenticate itself with
# the BP when doing Simple IP (SIP).  The BP will replace the user/password strings with the correct
# values when authenticating to the network-side PPP peer.
user NotUsed@nobody.com
password NotUsed
crtscts
lcp-echo-failure 0
lcp-echo-interval 0
ipcp-max-configure 30
ipcp-max-failure 30
ipcp-max-terminate 10
novj
linkname ril

Just by commenting or remove line 18,
Code:
# novj

we may able to get better 3G network speed. The change may enable the Van Jacobson style TCP/IP header compression. Your cellular network may or may not support this feature. My 3G cellular network (Celcom Malaysia, HSDPA 3.6Mbps) seem to be supporting this feature.

Before the change, I got (down/up) 3.4/0.5 Mbps, but, after the change, the result is quite impressive as we can see in the screenshot. Sometime, I got about 2x of download speed when download podcasts MP3s, from 400 kBps to upto 800 kBps.

Mbps : Mega bit per second
kBps : kilo BYTE per second

Anyone who tried this hack/mod either for 3G or 4G, please report your before and after results. :)
Remember to reboot after changes :)

Thank you

Reference:
$ man pppd

Screenshot_2012-07-28-03-33-46.jpg

Update: 2013-06-04

If your device does not have the file, you can try the hack which I posted in post number 100.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42185612&postcount=100

As ussual, please report your findings. Remember to put your device name, U/D speed before and after the hack. :)

Last edited:

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Disclaimer:
2) Do is at your own risk. I am not responsible to any problem due to this modification/hacking.

Code:
nodetach
debug
noauth
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect-delay 1000
# Don't remove the user/password lines.  They are required to make PPPD authenticate itself with
# the BP when doing Simple IP (SIP).  The BP will replace the user/password strings with the correct
user NotUsed@nobody.com
password NotUsed
crtscts
lcp-echo-failure 0
lcp-echo-interval 0
ipcp-max-configure 30
ipcp-max-failure 30
ipcp-max-terminate 10
novj
linkname ril

Code:
# novj

we may able to get better 3G network speed. The change may enable the Van Jacobson style TCP/IP header compression. Your cellular network may or may not support this feature. My 3G cellular network (Celcom Malaysia, HSDPA 3.6Mbps) seem to be supporting this feature.

Before the change, I got (donw/up) 3.4/0.5 Mbps, but, after the change, the result is quite impressive as we can see in the screenshot. Sometime, I got about 2x of download speed when download podcasts MP3s, from 400 kBps to upto 800 kBps.

Anyone who tried this hack/mod either for 3G or 4G, please report your before and after results. :)

Thank you

Reference:
$ man pppd

View attachment 1226025

I'll give this a go when I get home. I will post back after testing.

Sent using xda premium

vkass

Jan 8, 2011
OnePlus 6
Didn't work for me.
Guess it wont work if the operator is limiting the speed.
Edit:
Changed speed test server and it does work.
Speed got x2 better than the fastest I ever got.

Last edited:
Reactions: bahathir

AndroidGreg

Mar 18, 2012
Is this GSM only? I thought CDMA was limited to 2.8mbs, and LTE, well its just ridiculous the speeds you can get from it allready, I got 34mbs as a top, and average 24 ish. Up and down are so close sometimes too.

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
It didn't work for me either. It seems like this must be for GSM only.

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

bahathir

Feb 14, 2010
You are right. This hack seem to be effective for GSM 3G. 4G data speed is already awesome and no needs for this hack.

I like to say thank you to others who tried this hack :). Really happy to see a quite promising results from others. :) Please report the cellular data usage too, whether this also able to extends data quota, because, the feature is compressing data link. So, I hope we do not exceed the data quota much quicker. :)
Thank you.

Sent from my XT910 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

knives809

Jan 22, 2012
Huawei Mate 20 X
Google Pixel 5
Try to use other test server or test during very late night or dawn. Test result may varies due to network congestion.

Sent from my XT910 using xda app-developers app
Yes. I agree.
I also noticed that the PING significantly improved.
Mine improved also by 50 percent.

One thing i also noticed is that this method works best on stock roms.
My first system (stock ICS) managed to double the download speed and my PING. But my second system (fts ICS) only managed to improve the PING but with the same download speed.

Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:
    2) Do it at your own risk. I am not responsible to any problem due to this modification/hacking.

Code:
    nodetach
    debug
    noauth
    defaultroute
    usepeerdns
    connect-delay 1000
    user NotUsed@nobody.com
    password NotUsed
    crtscts
    lcp-echo-failure 0
    lcp-echo-interval 0
    ipcp-max-configure 30
    ipcp-max-failure 30
    ipcp-max-terminate 10
    novj
    linkname ril

Code:
    # novj

Before the change, I got (down/up) 3.4/0.5 Mbps, but, after the change, the result is quite impressive as we can see in the screenshot. Sometime, I got about 2x of download speed when download podcasts MP3s, from 400 kBps to upto 800 kBps.

Remember to reboot after changes :)

Thank you

Reference:
    $ man pppd

Screenshot_2012-07-28-03-33-46.jpg

Update: 2013-06-04

If your device does not have the file, you can try the hack which I posted in post number 100.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42185612&postcount=100

As ussual, please report your findings. Remember to put your device name, U/D speed before and after the hack. :)
    Hi, everyone.

My RAZR XT910's panel cracked several months ago, and I don;t have platform to test further.

Now, for temporary, I am using Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000, 2.3.6 GB Stock, rooted using Framaroot). Just now, I add an options file into /system/etc/ppp directory. I attached file in this post. Feel free to try. :)

1) Attention, if your device NOT has /system/etc/ppp/options, you can put the attaxhed file into the directory /system/etc/ppp

2) If you have the options file, Back it up first.
    3) Remove any novj nobsd .... options int the file.
    4) Append .or insert the contents of the attached file into the existing options file.

Again, I tried this hack on Samsung Galaxy S. and I achived the similar effect :)

Good Luck, and don't cry over here if you failed. :) You should know how to backup and restore from backup at the first place.

I also like to thanks to everyone who tried and gave feedbacks.

Please share this hack with others, especiallay the ROM developers, and remember to link back to this thread.

Thank you.

Updates:
    I attached screen capture of the Speed Test's results from Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000).
    We can see the data link speed improvements.
    There were mixed results, due to several factors.
    474085999.png
    Didn't work for me.
    Guess it wont work if the operator is limiting the speed.
    Edit:
    Changed speed test server and it does work.
    Speed got x2 better than the fastest I ever got.
    Doesn't work to me either.

Cheers
    [QUOTthe ahathir;42185612]Hi, everyone.

My RAZR XT910's panel cracked several months ago, and I don;t have platform to test further.

Now, for temporary, I am using Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000, 2.3.6 GB Stock, rooted using Framaroot). Just now, I add an options file into /system/etc/ppp directory. I attached file in this post. Feel free to try. :)

1) Attention, if your device NOT has /system/etc/ppp/options, you can put the attaxhed file into the directory /system/etc/ppp

2) If you have the options file, Back it up first.
    3) Remove any novj nobsd .... options int the file.
    4) Append .or insert the contents of the attached file into the existing options file.

Again, I tried this hack on Samsung Galaxy S. and I achived the similar effect :)

Good Luck, and don't cry over here if you failed. :) You should know how to backup and restore from backup at the first place.

I also like to thanks to everyone who tried and gave feedbacks.

Please share this hack with others, especiallay the ROM developers, and remember to link back to this thread.

Thank you.

Updates:
    I attached screen capture of the Speed Test's results from Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000).
    We can see the data link speed improvements.
    There were mixed results, due to several factors.
    474085999.png
    [/QUOTE]

Does the phone need to restarted after adding this file to the folder?