[Q] General question about backing up

Search This thread

brutusthegeek

Mar 18, 2014
I'm just starting with android and planning on rooting my phone (vD800) eventually. I made a backup here: all settings> general> backup and reset but I don't think this is what I need for recovering from a failed root. What do I need to get so I can make an image of the phone? I have lots of questions but that'll do it for now.

Dec 22, 2013
Ok that kind of goes against everything I know about computers but ok. What am I going to use for a failed root then? Where does my backup image come from? Thanks

What do you mean by failed root? I've never experienced such a thing. To root follow this:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869

You don't replace the OS until after the custom recovery (such as TWRP) is installed. So after you install TWRP or whichever recovery you want just boot in to the recovery and then backup there. Then flash whichever ROM you want.

Reactions: brutusthegeek

brutusthegeek

Mar 18, 2014
Ok I get the part about not replacing the OS until you are rooted. So just root it and if I fail post here and see if anyone can help?
I guess I'm just trying to be sure I understand what I'm getting into before I do something that could seriously mess up my phone.

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
You can use the LG backup app on your phone, it's quite good. Then move or copy the backup file to the computer for safekeeping. I did this when I downgraded back to jellybean from kitkat in order to root kitkat and it worked perfectly. There's nothing about the root process for jellybean that will hurt the phone or cause data loss.

Top Liked Posts