[Q] stuck in HBOOT, S-On, unrooted, no buttons work

Search This thread

cehf

Sep 18, 2011
San Diego
My little sister's G2 has been stuck at the hboot screen every time the phone boots. Her phone is completely stock, with the most recent (that I know of) update, the one in PC10IMG.zip. She didn't do anything to damage it at all, it just started booting like this out of the blue.

When at the hboot screen, no buttons work at all, the only way to get out of it is to do a battery pull. I even tried using ADB but it wouldn't detect the phone.

Any suggestions?

H

hoffmas

first thing i would try is to somehow wipe the phone... push power & volume down to enter bootloader; choose recovery (a red triangle or something like that should appear) then push power & volume up (the recovery menu should appear); then wipe everything...

if this doesn´t work post here again

EDIT: sry, just recognized that i didn´t read your post carefull enough... if your buttons do not work, you probably have to flash a RUU

Last edited:

cehf

Sep 18, 2011
San Diego
first thing i would try is to somehow wipe the phone... push power & volume down to enter bootloader; choose recovery (a red triangle or something like that should appear) then push power & volume up (the recovery menu should appear); then wipe everything...

if this doesn´t work post here again

i booted it with vol down+power, then i pushed vol up+power and it started searching for zips. I had pc10img on it and it found and tried to update with it, but it gave "main version is older! update fail! press power to reboot." and rebooting again brought me to the bootloader.

edit: i don't have any experience with ruu files, so if that's what i need to do, can you tell me how?

Last edited:
H

hoffmas

Search for a RUU which is similiar or higher than your actual version, download it and put it on your pc... on your phone push power & trakepad to enter fastboot mode, connect your phone with pc and start the .exe on your pc...

Before you do this remove the pc10img.zip from your sdcard and try what i posted before again...

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

cehf

Sep 18, 2011
San Diego
Search for a RUU which is similiar or higher than your actual version, download it and put it on your pc... on your phone push power & trakepad to enter fastboot mode, connect your phone with pc and start the .exe on your pc...

Before you do this remove the pc10img.zip from your sdcard and try what i posted before again...

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

i tried doing this, but it failed, saying that my phone model wasn't right or something like that. but it did make the phone boot into the rom! and it appears to have all of its data still, hopefully everything works now.

cehf

Sep 18, 2011
San Diego
rebooting will make the phone enter fastboot still. none of the ruu files i've tried work. is there a link to one that will work? i haven't found any.

cehf

Sep 18, 2011
San Diego
htsger 3

i used the pc10img you linked me to. gives me: "main version is older! update fail!"

i tried the ruu files you linked me to and those failed as well. they kept telling me my phone image was wrong or something like that.

cehf

Sep 18, 2011
San Diego
I did some thinking and thought that getting it to boot by trying and failing to use an RUU, downgrading it, rooting it there, and then flashing another rom would solve my problems.

I managed to get to downgrading and rooting the phone, but after apparently flashing cwm through rom manager, I turned off the phone and tried to boot into recovery by vol down + power. Those are the buttons I use to boot my g2x into recovery, and through searching I didn't find any other combos for the g2.

That didn't work. I got sent to fastboot again, and no buttons work. I then tried RUU again, and this time it worked, booted. I turned it off and back on to see if it would actually load the rom this time. Alas, fastboot screen again. Still no working buttons.

I tried the PC10IMG.zip again. It flashed, but when it says <Press power to reboot> and I press power, I get sent to fastboot.

I pretty much consider this phone a lost cause, but if anyone has a suggestion that might help, please tell!