Issue with custom padlock on S4... Please help.

Search This thread

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Bingo! Your modifying a $700 device based on YouTube videos. At bare minimum one should take the time to read and understand the complete process. Yes it can be very overwhelming because of all the different information contained here. Stick with reading the most popular threads in the topic you want to learn about. They are generally up to date and contain answers to most questions.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Spot on. Youtube videos offer some insights, but reading these forums is a must. I would never go into modifying a $600 or $700 anything without beeing 100% sure in what I was doing yet we see posters here that perhaps never even browse the forums for info and they mess their phones up and come begging for help. First step, take time to research....and I mean take some real time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So this will keep Knox/etc alone? It still baffles me why we can't root without using a PC.

You can root using a Mac, or a Linux system. But I don't think that's what you're asking I think what you mean is "why do you need another computer to do this?"

The reason that you need a separate computer is that the security policy on the Verizon device doesn't allow you to push a file to the phone and make it executable. i.e. you can't get it to run.

Specifically, to root you need to run the supplied "getroot" program. ADB can be used to push that to the phone and make it executable:

adb push getroot /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/getroot

So you now have a getroot program that can be executed to root the phone. The "chmod" command sets the "executable" bits so the program can run. You've got to do that to allow it to get started and root the phone.

So, let's get rid of the PC. Copy the getroot program to the external SD card. OK, so it's now on the phone.

You can't run programs from that external card, and can't set it to be executable. But the rooting scripts writes it to another place and marks it executable, so why not just do that from a terminal emulator prompt? So, it shoudl be easy - copy /mnt/extSdCard/getroot to /data/local/tmp/getroot.

Cool, that works. So now change it to be executable so you can run it:
    u0_a1234@jfltevzw: / $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/getroot
    unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/getroot: Operation not permitted

Oops. You can't do that. Without that, you can't run it. Game over.

I'm not using adb to force use of a separate computer to run the root. I'm doing it because the policy on the i545 doesn't allow you to push a program onto the phone and run it unless you do it via ADB.

Some phones/tablets aren't so locked down, and so may be able to use a terminal emulator to do this. I'm going to be posting info this weekend on how to do that, which may help to get rid of the PC, kind of.

Any other questions?

As far as the "Custom" status goes, this is a FAQ. Short answer:
    Do you want root? OK, then you will be running a non-standard system, i.e. customized.
    Do you want to avoid seeing the Custom flag? If so, either run stock, unrooted, or use the Wanam hack to fake the status.

If you don't want to be running custom software, then don't. Go stock.

Finally, "Knox" is not a thing, it's a series of protective mechanisms, some of which we can disable on rooted phones. We can't override the Knox bootloader flag ("Knox warranty void") flag, however. Apparently the Knox container software uses that to disable the ability to use a container.
    I think my downfall was relying too much on youtube videos...

Bingo! Your modifying a $700 device based on YouTube videos. At bare minimum one should take the time to read and understand the complete process. Yes it can be very overwhelming because of all the different information contained here. Stick with reading the most popular threads in the topic you want to learn about. They are generally up to date and contain answers to most questions.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk