Just got a tab and its very slow and sluggish.

Search This thread

PhlyingMonkey

Jan 11, 2014
Had a look at those vids, looks to be about average for the stock ROM and is similar to the performance I was getting on stock.

Any of the custom ROMs will help with the sluggishness.

a67543210

Feb 23, 2008
Manchester
Samsung puts only 1gb ram and fills it with all kinds of it's own services that use all the ram and bug down the system:
Solution:
-Replace Touchwiz with Go Launcher HD.
-Root device and freeze all Samsung stuff that boot up with the system which you don't need such Samsung hubs(games, news etc), Yahoo services etc. Titanium backup can be of help to freeze.
-uncheck cpu in power savings option.
-reduce or stop animations in developer options.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Don't forget to freeze Touchwiz after having replaced it with Go launcher HD. This will prevent it from loading again in the background and hugging your memory. See how your device becomes fast

Reactions: BillSplate

Gavin01

Apr 17, 2006
Dont mind trying that.but im not sure how to freeze things from start up?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

naymyoaung

Dec 7, 2012
new taipei
maybe u got defect tab 3 ,try antutu benchmark and see how much u get score?
I had tab 3 7.0 got so slow with only 8800 score, and its got RMA due to auto shut down motherboard,and they give me new tab3, now its score 12000-13000pts,more faster and smooth.

calden74

Sep 24, 2011
Yup it sucks

I was going to start the same thread before I saw yours. The SGT3 is a horrible tablet, cheaply built, slow, antiquated resolution and overpriced. I bought one after my Asus Infinity 700T was stolen after a visit too a library. When I went into the store to buy a new tablet I asked the sales person what he would recommend, I had a budget of 300. He excitedly showed me the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, the demo unit unfortunately wan't able to start, an omen I should have realized. I was impressed by the size and weight, the cheap plastic feel was worrying but the latter two plus's were enough for me to pull the trigger. When I got it home, charged it, setup up all of the user credentials, the first thing I noticed was how cartoonishly big everything looked. I did however like the look of the keyboard, so I pushed on and installed all of my favorite apps, I started to notice a lot of lag when installing apps, okay maybe the Play Store just isn't optimized for the x86 CPU, I continued. When the tablet was finished installing, I rebooted, than the nightmare what is Tab 3 started. First I tried surfing with Chrome but when more than 6 tabs are opened, do to the lack of memory you will loose whatever you have typed in one tab after you switch to another. The system is very sluggish, typing with a Logitech Keyboard in QuickOffice, the screen can't keep up with my typing. I can spend all day going through all of my apps and describing to you how slow each one performed but you get the idea, SLOW. I wanted to comment on the screen, the resolution is ridiculously bad for a 300 dollar 2014 tablet, I am actually shocked as to how bad it is. It's bright enough but man, Samsung has gotten so cocky to think that they can shove this crap down our throats. Not to mention how easy it is to scratch, breath on it and it's scratched. I decided to try installing a custom ROM for giggles, I had already decided to return it, wow slim pickings in that arena. The two I found were also really bad, the tablet was a little faster, memory management improved a little, not sure why the developers thought that changing the look of the color scheme for the notifications tab was a good idea, the ROMs did nothing to improve the overall experience though, nothing.

I returned the Tab 3 after only two days of what I would call the worst experience I have ever had with a gadget and bought a Nexus 10. 100x the better machine, it even cost 30 dollars less and has built in HDML. Oh the HDMI, I forgot about the HDMI, Samsung charges 40 dollars for the HDMI cable, it however doesn't charge the Tab 3 when connected and because the battery is so bad you can maybe watch a movie and a half. It also doesn't output 1080P when your in the desktop, just 720P so everything is fuzzy. Stay away from this tablet people, it's bad, expensive and insulting to the consumer.

Se7enex

Dec 14, 2011
Shirley, IN
Stay away from this tablet people, it's bad, expensive and insulting to the consumer.

I'd have to heartily disagree with you on that. I've had mine for a few days now and it's everything I expected and then some. Even before I froze a ton of stuff it was lagfree for me. Yeah the resolution kinda blows but it's a tablet. If you want 1080p look at your monitor, 720 is more than fine for a mid-level tablet. As for the Nexus, well I'd have to say the Tab is better but my opinion is jaded because it has a SD Slot, that's a monumental dealbreaker for me when it comes to the Nexus. You talk about it being 2014 well in that case the Nexus should have an SD Slot, that's an archaic thing do by not including one. Not everyone wants to cloud everything. :good:;)

Regardless, this tablet is more than competent. There is a reason it has a huge community and such great ratings everywhere, it's probably one of the highest quality tablets for its price.

Flipapotimus

Nov 15, 2013
I'd have to heartily disagree with you on that. I've had mine for a few days now and it's everything I expected and then some. Even before I froze a ton of stuff it was lagfree for me. Yeah the resolution kinda blows but it's a tablet. If you want 1080p look at your monitor, 720 is more than fine for a mid-level tablet. As for the Nexus, well I'd have to say the Tab is better but my opinion is jaded because it has a SD Slot, that's a monumental dealbreaker for me when it comes to the Nexus. You talk about it being 2014 well in that case the Nexus should have an SD Slot, that's an archaic thing do by not including one. Not everyone wants to cloud everything. :good:;)

Regardless, this tablet is more than competent. There is a reason it has a huge community and such great ratings everywhere, it's probably one of the highest quality tablets for its price.

There is some things about this tablet that really irks me but I guess I have high hopes for the KK update helping it out. I also agree with you on the SD slot, that is one main reason I did not buy a Nexus. I also must say that I love the IR blaster and the watchon app, its very convenient and I don't need to find my logitech harmony when I'm on my tablet to mess with the tv. I think I got a good tablet for the price I paid, if I had wanted better then I would of been paying $550+. But I am typing this on my laptop with the tab beside me and my Note 2 and a PS Vita,oh and the ipod touch. I think I have enough devices to connect to the internet and the tab fills its roll well.

calden74

Sep 24, 2011

I'm glad your happy with your purchase. The Samsung Tab 3 10.1 when compared with other tablets actually has one of the smallest followings at XDA. Just compare the previous versions forum with the new one, you have 2 custom ROMs versus 20 plus for the Tab 2. Every single review I have read says the same thing, laggy tablet, obsolete the second it came off of the assembly line. The SD card issue doesn't really bother me because I happen to like cloud storage but I understand your need for it. Can you tell me what you like about it, it's just so slow for me, my Motorola Xoom 1 that is 4 years old feels faster. In fact I get higher frame rates in almost every game that I play vs. the Tab 3. What about the problem of scratching, that doesn't bother you or only having 300mb of memory free for apps, the horrible battery life, 50 dollar HDMI cable that doesn't output 1080p desktop nor does it charge the unit while plugged in, oh my gosh the list goes on. I would have spent the extra 100 and gotten a Sony Xperia Z.

Last edited:

Se7enex

Dec 14, 2011
Shirley, IN
Can you tell me what you like about it, it's just so slow for me, my Motorola Xoom 1 that is 4 years old feels faster. In fact I get higher frame rates in almost every game that I play vs. the Tab 3. What about the problem of scratching, that doesn't bother you or only having 300mb of memory free for apps, the horrible battery life, 50 dollar HDMI cable that doesn't output 1080p desktop nor does it charge the unit while plugged in, oh my gosh the list goes on. I would have spent the extra 100 and gotten a Sony Xperia Z.

It's much slower than the Nook Tablet which has been given to my mom since I bought the Tab3 and frankly I've never wanted to go back. As far as speed is concerned if I can multi window a HD video and look at Facebook or the internet at the same time I'd consider the device high speed. Seriously, this guy has done very good for me so far and I'm a major techie(Should be evident by my existence on XDA). I don't really play 3D games on my Tab since i leave major gaming for my PC however FPSE(PS1 Emulator) runs like a champ on this tab. Scratching? All LCD screens have been known to be prone to scratching, if that concerns you so much you can get a case and a screen protector, on my old iPod I bought a infinicase and I took that thing EVERYWHERE, dropped it probably once or twice a day and it was never scratched, having a case that puts the screen at a lifted height from the ground guarantees safety unless it hits at an angle which in that case you're boned. If you're referring to key scratching or something then idk, I've never imagined putting my tablet near things that could ruin it. 300mb of free memory for apps? Taking a quick glance at my storage i have almost 10 gigs of free room on my system storage and plenty on my SD Card, after installing probably a dozen or so various applications. 50$ HDMI cable? I'm not surprised, those suckers ain't cheap. Honestly if you wanted to HDMI it to your TV I would've checked online for more information before making the purchase, the fact that it doesn't charge while being plugged into HDMI in no way surprises me, unless you wanted a charger+HDMI in one sorta thing. Once again I don't personally care about 1080p or 720, I can only see the difference on a monitor, on a TV it's serviceable at worst which is more than enough for a tablet hooked up to a TV.

Mussels84

May 18, 2013
felt like pitching in here to say that the OP didnt mention what size he got - if it was the 7" model, its specs are basically the same as the tab 2 7.0

my tab 3 8.0 was a lot faster than my tab 2 7.0, and a hella lot faster once it was tweaked/OC'd.

agreed with one users comment about the MHL HDMI being poor - the cable i have allows it to charge while it works, but due to the tablet being 16:10, i get black bars on my 16:9 HDTV. the built in movie app corrects this, but it doesnt make sense for it to not be 16:9 in the first place.

Last edited:

Ripperoo

Dec 17, 2010
You talk about it being 2014 well in that case the Nexus should have an SD Slot, that's an archaic thing do by not including one. Not everyone wants to cloud everything. :good:;)

Gotta totally agree with you there on not wanting to cloud everything, so the good old SD card is a must IMHO.

But horses for courses as they say.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Forgot to add that I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 and think it's great and a lot nicer to use than my aging ASUS TF101

Reactions: Se7enex

Gavin01

Apr 17, 2006
gonna just sell mine i think and take a £50 loss. I cant stand how slow it is even with a custom rom.

VIRGIN KLM

Feb 27, 2013
It can't be thaaat slow (under normal circumstances). I mean there must be something defective or something going wrong in the background. I know that benchmarks are not the most ideal way to measure performance but having a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for comparison which performs like 8800 on Antutu and Tab 3 10.1 is in the margin of 20000-22000 it's hard to believe that the device is not capable to offer atleast equaly good performance as the Tab 2 7.0 which is rather good (not the best, but not even near to what your Youtube videos show let's say). I plan to buy it brand new for 210 Euros (~289$) and I HIGHLY DOUBT you can find another tablet for that price with the same screen size and not be from a random Chinese brand or a rebranded Chinese product. My advice would be, wait for KitKat update to come out or try CM11 and then redo a review and if you consider it to be still that bad return it or sell it. Also you don't describe on what usage your were doing with it. I plan to get it for my mother just for surfing and stream some Youtube videos and I doubt it's going to be that bad but feel free to prove me wrong.

Gavin01

Apr 17, 2006
im getting 13149 score

it gets to 87% then says test is terminated.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flashed a custom rom and things are much better. 100%not worth its 270 price tag

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    some videos of its sloweness.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAy9pN-PyXk

http://youtu.be/443g1m2D9Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Qofo_vybg

so slow its painful

Would a custom rom make this any better?
    Samsung puts only 1gb ram and fills it with all kinds of it's own services that use all the ram and bug down the system:
    Solution:
    -Replace Touchwiz with Go Launcher HD.
    -Root device and freeze all Samsung stuff that boot up with the system which you don't need such Samsung hubs(games, news etc), Yahoo services etc. Titanium backup can be of help to freeze.
    -uncheck cpu in power savings option.
    -reduce or stop animations in developer options.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Don't forget to freeze Touchwiz after having replaced it with Go launcher HD. This will prevent it from loading again in the background and hugging your memory. See how your device becomes fast

You talk about it being 2014 well in that case the Nexus should have an SD Slot, that's an archaic thing do by not including one. Not everyone wants to cloud everything. :good:;)

Gotta totally agree with you there on not wanting to cloud everything, so the good old SD card is a must IMHO.

But horses for courses as they say.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Forgot to add that I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 and think it's great and a lot nicer to use than my aging ASUS TF101
    Now getting 16000 on antutu......the lg tablet seems to get much better

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk