[DEV] CM11 Work-In-Progress

Search This thread

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
This thread is meant for discussion of the in progress Kit Kat port for the Nook Color.

Updates
If you want updates on the progress you can check this post and fattire's post immediately folllowing this. We'll both be posting updates periodically here.

You can also follow me on twitter @dalingrin
You can follow fattire @ fat__tire
Please don't ask me for ETAs or status updates. I will post them as I post them :cool:

Source code
Device source code will be temporarily hosted on fattire's github @ http://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore

Things to expect
Nothing :eek:

Things not to expect(for now)
*Fully accelerated composition of the UI - this is not likely and may be dependent on 3rd party closed source EGL libs getting updated
*Accelerated video playback and overlay - This has changed quite a bit and may take some time to get working
*Polished release soon - Don't ask, don't tell​

icsncwifi3.jpg

icsncwifi2.jpg

Last edited:

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
UPDATE 11/24/13 -- So CM 11.0 is out and building nicely on Nook Color. Look here for the link to the build instructions. If you are building CM 11, you will probably want to use cm-11.0 as the name of the branch when initializing.

STATE OF THE UM, STATE OF THINGS

So I was curious how many noob types, who always beg for nightlies and builds and stuff-- I wondered if they (you?) could be encouraged to learn and get involved in the process of building Android. Which, as I've expressed in an infamous ramble, I think is important to the future of our culture and how it it deals with technology-- and who will control it. So I asked normal non-dev people to try building-- to give it a shot.

I think the experiment, which quickly became OUR experiment, has been a massive success. Far beyond what I'd imagined. Hundreds of people have gotten off their asses-- many of whom had clearly never touched Linux or a compiler before, and most were successful in building CM9/ICS from scratch.

That is not a small deal. And no, it's not just following a list of instructions by rote. People had to think about and solve a million different problems-- installing VMs, updating packages, choosing linux distributions, understanding the command line, etc. Scary stuff if you've never done any of these things before.

So it's been a month or so now, and I think we've reached the stage where aside from minor enhancements and fixes, the build looks pretty sweet. The major stuff is there and working. Yeah, DSP/hardware-accelerated video is something we're going to have to wait for TI to add to their omap3 repositories, and there are likely other things wrong. I've heard rumors of sleep-of-deaths or quicker-than-usual battery consumption, etc. There are numerous things to be fixed, but these are all issues that may or may not be worked out over time... As major new enhancements come to the CyanogenMod project, they will come to the encore version, and your build, automatically.

No secret links this time. As before, I'll spell out the bottom line explicitly for ya here in the middle somewhere. And I'll even underline it.

I hereby decree, in so far I am able, my humble request for "no posted builds".... is ended.

Back to your regularly scheduled forum. Go to it.

I encourage you to pass any valuable improvements you make to the code "upstream" via the gerrit review system at review.cyanogenmod.com for inclusion in the main CM project. You already know how it works. And some, God love ya, have already started. Not everything you submit will get accepted, but it's a good way to "pay it forward". And in the same vein, consider helping someone on IRC. Or be a big brother or big sister. Or donate blood. And to quote Steven Soderbergh, or whomever, you don't have to brush ALL your teeth, just the ones you want to keep.

Thanks as always to dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, verygreen, arcee, deeper-blue, unforgiven512, the gang on irc, and the CM Team generally for keeping this fun. And thank YOU for the lulz, Internet.

ft

Remember, there's NOTHING quite like running your own build, piping-hot, and fresh from the oven.

----

I am also releasing a first pass at a how-to-build walkthrough. It is available here:

walkthru (rough draft)

This doc will be updated and evolve with your input. It is meant to help people feel confident that they can build an operating system from scratch, and hopefully encourage them to participate, learn, and even make contributions.

If you need assistance, you must rely on each other.

Here is an equally unreliable clockworkmod, v5.5.0.4:

uRecRam

You may be asking, where is the issue queue? There is no issue queue. You are on your own here.

Recent automated builds (unofficial, unsanctioned, untested, uneverything else) from Forum member Samiam303 is here.

-----------everything below this line is sorta old and outdated--------------

So there's apparently been some bit of controversy related to my request that people try to build themselves rather than someone posting a pre-made update.zip file. Let me go more into detail about what this experiment is about, at least from my perspective. But first, I do want to thank everyone for respecting the request so far-- I know it's not the traditional way of doing things, but I think it's been very fruitful and personally rewarding to see so many people who have never built jack before take on a project like this and be successful. I've received an enormous number of messages, both PMs here as well as in IRC, to the effect that this finally got them to try to build for the first time. It's introduced many people to actually using Linux, others may be having their first encounters with the command line, or git, or looking at source code, or learning about the build process in general. Whether or not the majority go on to become "devs" is irrelevant-- what I have been trying to encourage is curiosity and experimentation, and most of all a deeper understanding that your phones and "ereaders" are in fact full-fledged computers, not "appliances" or limited-purpose devices that others get to control. It's your property, and it can do a lot. There is an effort underway to discourage people from thinking of their devices this way or discouraging them from experimenting and learning with them. This IMO is an extremely harmful practice-- take a look at Cory Doctorow's recent speech on this subject. I could go on and on, but it seems important enough to me to make this request, and hopefully some of you are even subconsciously appreciating the awesomeness of what potential these general-purpose gadgets will have on society. So that's a lot of philosophizing, but there you go. And while I'm not naive enough to think that plenty of people aren't trading the file "under the table" at it were, for a variety of reasons, I do think that in a way they're cheating themselves; those who give building a shot are finding that learning is a reward unto itself. Those who are persistent, who pay attention, who don't give up, not only get a build at the end, plus the experience of doing it, plus the knowledge they picked up along the way-- they also discover things in the most unexpected of places, as in the link in the period at the end of the third sentence in this post. And while there's been some discussion of what a "dev" is and whether or not this is a gateway to bigger and better things, all I can assume is that if 5-10% of the people who built are intrigued enough to take it a step further, and maybe a step further than that... then we might end up with some new devs who appreciate the value of open source and whose contributions we can look forward to with eagerness in the future. Plus-- it's more fun this way.

I do hope this sounds good to everyone. If you understand what this post is about- no need for long, drawn-out elaborate responses... a simple "I got it" will do. ;)

More source is forthcoming... Thanks to dalingrin, arcee, keyodi, nemith, Scepterr, unforgiven512, etc. Oh, and shh.

--------------------------

update-cm-9.0-0-encore-emmc-sneakpeek2-fullofbugs.zip
md5: 536d589c59ea5711a17a3d976f0638fa

update-cm-9.0-0-encore-emmc-sneakpeek1-fullofbugs.zip
md5: 85294ad91e2601beb737cf723b9fb9d6
(note this URL is likely to change)

Note: You are advised NOT to try to install this. This update.zip will **overwrite** as in erase whatever data you have on your emmc, so if you are trying this, you are advised to back it up first so you can recover. Install entirely at your own risk, and do a factory wipe first. This software is likely to be terrible and cause problems including permanent data loss, hair loss, and/or the destruction of your property and the death of your pets. You assume all risks involved in your use-- or even attempted use-- of this file. I disclaim any and all responsibility for your decision to try it.

*** Really. This build is buggy. It is a work-in-progress. It is only a snapshot of where things stand right now, and it's possible it'll never go further. ***

here's what's working:

* bluetooth (pairing/file transfer only confirmed)
* wifi (full it seems but it's brand-new to the kernel so who knows how stable anything is)
* backlight
* accelerometer
* improved stability (but not perfect)
* gapps
* setcpu/overclock
* real data usage info (not stubbed out)
* battery levels/charging
* physical menu button
* touchscreen
* 3d games
* usb gadget in kernel (ie, mounting your sdcard to your computer)
* screenshots
* build system (to auto-create update.zips)
* sound

(note: for all the above features, you must build yourself! See below for rationale & more)

For sure not working yet:

* video
* full 2d acceleration (esp on complex web pages)
* and much much more

These things may/may not be added at some point in the future. You should have no expectations that they will. Anyone who asks for an ETA for something or other gets collectively stoned by the crowd.

I'm sometimes on #nookcolor in freenode.

Thanks to keyodi, unforgiven512, arcee, toastfch, d0nk`, dalingrin, nemith, the rest of the cm team/TD, and anyone else who I've forgotten. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

MUST READ:
Again, don't install this. And please don't "rom" this (as in change the font or background) and then ask for donations for your "hard work". This is a preview of a work in progress, not a final product, and it's not meant for people to use day-to-day. Don't be a ****. Thanks.
--------------------screenshots---------------------

ncicsss1.png

About screen, wifi scanning, & bluetooth....
icsnc.jpg
icsncwifi1.jpg
icsncbt.jpg

icsnc4.jpg
ncicsss.png
icsnc5.jpg
icsnc6.jpg

ncicsss2.png
ncicsss5.png

wpvW3.png

Last edited:

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
this device looks sexy, how is performance(compared to the first honeycomb port) and any ideas on how we can get off the legacy hack?

Performance is hard to tell without any apps on it really and with the legacy hack being goofy. Dalingrin's going to fix the ts driver tomorrow he says. It needs to be updated for anything close to usability. I think though it's not too far off from cm7 but again *REALLY* hard to say without having something to run on it.

I did notice that if you put a background on the screen it only stays for like second before disappearing. No idea what that's all about.

Update:

So update on progress tonight

* misc fixes
* got wifi working for keyodi
* got glx working for keyodi
* fixed bluetooth pairing again. Ran into trouble trying to send a file connection refused (111) or something like that.
* got freecpu working, needed to chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su and also add Superuser.apk-- but now overclocked to Dalingrin's cm7 settings. It feels pretty good.

icsnc1.jpg

(that's actually set to highest stepping but it's not currently maxed out)

* quadrant runs-- looks fast to me-- but bombed out on the network part at the end:

E/c*.a*.q*.c*.c*.Abstrac*( 4126): Failed to retrieve benchmark score
E/c*.a*.q*.c*.c*.Abstrac*( 4126): java.net.SocketException: socket failed: EAFNOSUPPORT (Address family not supported by protocol)

So I don't have a score. Not that Quadrant is particularly valuable. but the staircase works, the planets spin, etc.

icsnc2.jpg
icsnc3.jpg

Prolly won't work on it most of tomorrow.. just sayin'. Dalingrin will tho hopefully and keyodi too.

BTW, dalingrin-- temporary fix for wifi: assuming you use WPA-PSK, push this into /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf as the default in the device needs to be fixed manana:

Code:
ctrl_interface=tiwlan0
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="your_ssid"
        psk="your_password_in_plaintext"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        priority=1
}

Finally, if recovery.c tanks out, it's the last commit I made tonight. Sorry. I didn't think it was going to build it. Just back out changes to that file.

Last edited:

zequav

Aug 14, 2011
Fantastic work. Didn't thought quadrant would run fast this soon. If wifi, touchscreen and 3d work, we have the most important things working (save for ui acceleration). I don't even care much about sound.

Looking forward to the first kangs =)~

Reactions: whiteguypl
May 31, 2010
Sweet! Lookin' pretty good. I hope the binaries for the UI acceleration get updated. Has the nook tablet source and files dropped yet? I seem to remember the NC and nook tablet having similar video hardware. Could be wrong. Are those binaries in that tablet as well?

agemyth

Jan 19, 2011
Texas
I've only just started noticing the lack of activity in this device's community, so while I would love to tinker around with ICS on my Nook I understand how it may not a very big priority for developers. Do what you guys can with the knowledge, technology, and time you have and maybe I'll get new software to play with, but maybe I won't. This device has already been made a far better device than B&N intended it to be anyway.

Thanks for all the current and future work you guys devoted to this device :)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

unsivil_audio

May 4, 2011
Sheridan
no test zip? I would like to test, Im not one of those people that wont reprt back, i will tell what i find wrong :)

Finding whats wrong isn't a problem right now, which is exactly why they didnt release flashable zip file. They did however post a link to the source, which if you know how to compile that, you know how to get it running on your device and may actually be of some use to the devs in getting other things working.

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Sweet! Lookin' pretty good. I hope the binaries for the UI acceleration get updated. Has the nook tablet source and files dropped yet? I seem to remember the NC and nook tablet having similar video hardware. Could be wrong. Are those binaries in that tablet as well?

The nook tablet uses an OMAP4 es ("enhanced security") from Texas Instruments that has a signed bootloader, which is checked on boot at the hardware level. The signed bootloader (u-boot) in turn checks the signature of the kernel and the ramdisk. Which means, fwiw, that you can't easily replace the bootloader or kernel (or basic startup sequence in the ramdisk) without it being signed by Barnes & Noble.

That said, people have run stuff "around" the existing kernel/ramdisk as nemith has done with cwm. Or you can just run apps you want within userspace (ie, using their kernel/ramdisk) by rooting Android with Zergrush and then installing the market or sideloading or whatever as several threads on this site tell you how to do. There were also several articles on this recently.

Interestingly, the signed kernel does load unsigned kernel modules, meaning a specially-crafted module can theoretically be written to "kexec" (ie, run) a 2nd, unsigned kernel/ramdisk "from the inside" of the kernel. That "second boot" possibility would facilitate the running of alternate OSes, and there have been attempts to do this with the Motorola Milestone. And finally, if anyone finds an exploit in uboot (such as improper validation of input, say while it reads bootcnt or bcb files or something), this too might also be another way to get a "normal", unsigned kernel/ramdisk to run, and therefore ICS would be a lot easier and control would be restored to the owner of the hardware.

That said, a philosophical opposition to DRM has lead a lot of people I've talked to to just say "F the nook tablet" and not purchase one in the first place. Dunno.

Whoareyou

Finding whats wrong isn't a problem right now, which is exactly why they didnt release flashable zip file. They did however post a link to the source, which if you know how to compile that, you know how to get it running on your device and may actually be of some use to the devs in getting other things working.

I know how to, but my new laptop (HP Pavilion G6) dosent like linux well, and i cant get wifi to connect, networks show up, but it never connects :( :( So, i cant d/l the source :(((

jh1523

Aug 26, 2008
Great work so far.

Umm... is there a donation address set up so I can send a touch of... encouragement? Stimulus? Call it what you want. Beer fund. :)

Reactions: Modded Darts

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
The nook tablet uses an OMAP4 es ("enhanced security") from Texas Instruments that has a signed bootloader, which is checked on boot at the hardware level. The signed bootloader (u-boot) in turn checks the signature of the kernel and the ramdisk. Which means, fwiw, that you can't easily replace the bootloader or kernel (or basic startup sequence in the ramdisk) without it being signed by Barnes & Noble.

That said, people have run stuff "around" the existing kernel/ramdisk as nemith has done with cwm. Or you can just run apps you want within userspace (ie, using their kernel/ramdisk) by rooting Android with Zergrush and then installing the market or sideloading or whatever as several threads on this site tell you how to do. There were also several articles on this recently.

Interestingly, the signed kernel does load unsigned kernel modules, meaning a specially-crafted module can theoretically be written to "kexec" (ie, run) a 2nd, unsigned kernel/ramdisk "from the inside" of the kernel. That "second boot" possibility would facilitate the running of alternate OSes, and there have been attempts to do this with the Motorola Milestone. And finally, if anyone finds an exploit in uboot (such as improper validation of input, say while it reads bootcnt or bcb files or something), this too might also be another way to get a "normal", unsigned kernel/ramdisk to run, and therefore ICS would be a lot easier and control would be restored to the owner of the hardware.

That said, a philosophical opposition to DRM has lead a lot of people I've talked to to just say "F the nook tablet" and not purchase one in the first place. Dunno.
there have been talks about kexec on the nook tablet but from last i read is that kexec was disabled in the kernel so they were looking into 2nd init

ON TOPIC: i would donate if there is a donate link set up

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Speaking for myself, I ask that you consider donating to the Electronic Frontier Foundation -- Eff.org -- they help keep our right to hack/jailbreak/root our own hardware safe and legal when corporations or government (usually under heavy lobbying from corps) try to infringe on it. And to that end, they also take up the legal defense of folks who are threatened or sued unfairly, such as just a few days ago with the security blogger who posted a spyware/rootkit warning and was hit with an intimidating takedown legal threat by the company he outed. They also fight laws that would censor or wall off parts of the Internet.

Donations to the EFF are tax deductable for US residents as well. They are one of the few organizations concerned with defending the Internet and digital-related interests of normal citizens and consumers, and a donation to them is really doing yourself a big favor.

Plus I think they'll send you a hat.

/end of pitch.

Last edited:

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Speaking for myself, I ask that you consider donating to the Electronic Frontier Foundation -- Eff.org -- they help keep our right to hack/jailbreak/root our own hardware safe and legal when corporations or government (usually under heavy lobbying from corps) try to infringe on it. And to that end, they also take up the legal defense of folks who are threatened or sued unfairly, such as just a few days ago with the security blogger who posted a spyware/rootkit warning and was hit with an intimidating takedown legal threat by the company he outed. They also fight laws that would censor or wall off parts of the Internet.

Donations to the EFF are tax deductable for US residents as well. They are one of the few organizations concerned with defending the Internet and digital-related interests of normal citizens and consumers, and a donation to them is really doing yourself a big favor.

Plus I think they'll send you a hat.

/end of pitch.

im gonna look more into that but ill probably donate to that foundation
thanks for the info and i wish you luck with ics fattire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is meant for discussion of the in progress Kit Kat port for the Nook Color.

Updates
    If you want updates on the progress you can check this post and fattire's post immediately folllowing this. We'll both be posting updates periodically here.

You can also follow me on twitter @dalingrin
    You can follow fattire @ fat__tire
    Please don't ask me for ETAs or status updates. I will post them as I post them :cool:

Source code
    Device source code will be temporarily hosted on fattire's github @ http://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore

Things to expect
    Nothing :eek:

Things not to expect(for now)
    *Fully accelerated composition of the UI - this is not likely and may be dependent on 3rd party closed source EGL libs getting updated
    *Accelerated video playback and overlay - This has changed quite a bit and may take some time to get working
    *Polished release soon - Don't ask, don't tell​

icsncwifi3.jpg

icsncwifi2.jpg
    UPDATE 11/24/13 -- So CM 11.0 is out and building nicely on Nook Color. Look here for the link to the build instructions. If you are building CM 11, you will probably want to use cm-11.0 as the name of the branch when initializing.

STATE OF THE UM, STATE OF THINGS

So I was curious how many noob types, who always beg for nightlies and builds and stuff-- I wondered if they (you?) could be encouraged to learn and get involved in the process of building Android. Which, as I've expressed in an infamous ramble, I think is important to the future of our culture and how it it deals with technology-- and who will control it. So I asked normal non-dev people to try building-- to give it a shot.

I think the experiment, which quickly became OUR experiment, has been a massive success. Far beyond what I'd imagined. Hundreds of people have gotten off their asses-- many of whom had clearly never touched Linux or a compiler before, and most were successful in building CM9/ICS from scratch.

That is not a small deal. And no, it's not just following a list of instructions by rote. People had to think about and solve a million different problems-- installing VMs, updating packages, choosing linux distributions, understanding the command line, etc. Scary stuff if you've never done any of these things before.

So it's been a month or so now, and I think we've reached the stage where aside from minor enhancements and fixes, the build looks pretty sweet. The major stuff is there and working. Yeah, DSP/hardware-accelerated video is something we're going to have to wait for TI to add to their omap3 repositories, and there are likely other things wrong. I've heard rumors of sleep-of-deaths or quicker-than-usual battery consumption, etc. There are numerous things to be fixed, but these are all issues that may or may not be worked out over time... As major new enhancements come to the CyanogenMod project, they will come to the encore version, and your build, automatically.

No secret links this time. As before, I'll spell out the bottom line explicitly for ya here in the middle somewhere. And I'll even underline it.

I hereby decree, in so far I am able, my humble request for "no posted builds".... is ended.

Back to your regularly scheduled forum. Go to it.

I encourage you to pass any valuable improvements you make to the code "upstream" via the gerrit review system at review.cyanogenmod.com for inclusion in the main CM project. You already know how it works. And some, God love ya, have already started. Not everything you submit will get accepted, but it's a good way to "pay it forward". And in the same vein, consider helping someone on IRC. Or be a big brother or big sister. Or donate blood. And to quote Steven Soderbergh, or whomever, you don't have to brush ALL your teeth, just the ones you want to keep.

Thanks as always to dalingrin, keyodi, nemith, verygreen, arcee, deeper-blue, unforgiven512, the gang on irc, and the CM Team generally for keeping this fun. And thank YOU for the lulz, Internet.

ft

Remember, there's NOTHING quite like running your own build, piping-hot, and fresh from the oven.

----

I am also releasing a first pass at a how-to-build walkthrough. It is available here:

walkthru (rough draft)

This doc will be updated and evolve with your input. It is meant to help people feel confident that they can build an operating system from scratch, and hopefully encourage them to participate, learn, and even make contributions.

If you need assistance, you must rely on each other.

Here is an equally unreliable clockworkmod, v5.5.0.4:

uRecRam

You may be asking, where is the issue queue? There is no issue queue. You are on your own here.

Recent automated builds (unofficial, unsanctioned, untested, uneverything else) from Forum member Samiam303 is here.

-----------everything below this line is sorta old and outdated--------------

So there's apparently been some bit of controversy related to my request that people try to build themselves rather than someone posting a pre-made update.zip file. Let me go more into detail about what this experiment is about, at least from my perspective. But first, I do want to thank everyone for respecting the request so far-- I know it's not the traditional way of doing things, but I think it's been very fruitful and personally rewarding to see so many people who have never built jack before take on a project like this and be successful. I've received an enormous number of messages, both PMs here as well as in IRC, to the effect that this finally got them to try to build for the first time. It's introduced many people to actually using Linux, others may be having their first encounters with the command line, or git, or looking at source code, or learning about the build process in general. Whether or not the majority go on to become "devs" is irrelevant-- what I have been trying to encourage is curiosity and experimentation, and most of all a deeper understanding that your phones and "ereaders" are in fact full-fledged computers, not "appliances" or limited-purpose devices that others get to control. It's your property, and it can do a lot. There is an effort underway to discourage people from thinking of their devices this way or discouraging them from experimenting and learning with them. This IMO is an extremely harmful practice-- take a look at Cory Doctorow's recent speech on this subject. I could go on and on, but it seems important enough to me to make this request, and hopefully some of you are even subconsciously appreciating the awesomeness of what potential these general-purpose gadgets will have on society. So that's a lot of philosophizing, but there you go. And while I'm not naive enough to think that plenty of people aren't trading the file "under the table" at it were, for a variety of reasons, I do think that in a way they're cheating themselves; those who give building a shot are finding that learning is a reward unto itself. Those who are persistent, who pay attention, who don't give up, not only get a build at the end, plus the experience of doing it, plus the knowledge they picked up along the way-- they also discover things in the most unexpected of places, as in the link in the period at the end of the third sentence in this post. And while there's been some discussion of what a "dev" is and whether or not this is a gateway to bigger and better things, all I can assume is that if 5-10% of the people who built are intrigued enough to take it a step further, and maybe a step further than that... then we might end up with some new devs who appreciate the value of open source and whose contributions we can look forward to with eagerness in the future. Plus-- it's more fun this way.

I do hope this sounds good to everyone. If you understand what this post is about- no need for long, drawn-out elaborate responses... a simple "I got it" will do. ;)

More source is forthcoming... Thanks to dalingrin, arcee, keyodi, nemith, Scepterr, unforgiven512, etc. Oh, and shh.

--------------------------

update-cm-9.0-0-encore-emmc-sneakpeek2-fullofbugs.zip
    md5: 536d589c59ea5711a17a3d976f0638fa

update-cm-9.0-0-encore-emmc-sneakpeek1-fullofbugs.zip
    md5: 85294ad91e2601beb737cf723b9fb9d6
    (note this URL is likely to change)

Note: You are advised NOT to try to install this. This update.zip will **overwrite** as in erase whatever data you have on your emmc, so if you are trying this, you are advised to back it up first so you can recover. Install entirely at your own risk, and do a factory wipe first. This software is likely to be terrible and cause problems including permanent data loss, hair loss, and/or the destruction of your property and the death of your pets. You assume all risks involved in your use-- or even attempted use-- of this file. I disclaim any and all responsibility for your decision to try it.

*** Really. This build is buggy. It is a work-in-progress. It is only a snapshot of where things stand right now, and it's possible it'll never go further. ***

here's what's working:

* bluetooth (pairing/file transfer only confirmed)
    * wifi (full it seems but it's brand-new to the kernel so who knows how stable anything is)
    * backlight
    * accelerometer
    * gapps
    * setcpu/overclock
    * physical menu button
    * touchscreen
    * 3d games
    * usb gadget in kernel (ie, mounting your sdcard to your computer)
    * screenshots
    * build system (to auto-create update.zips)
    * sound

(note: for all the above features, you must build yourself! See below for rationale & more)

For sure not working yet:

* video
    * and much much more

These things may/may not be added at some point in the future. You should have no expectations that they will. Anyone who asks for an ETA for something or other gets collectively stoned by the crowd.

I'm sometimes on #nookcolor in freenode.

Thanks to keyodi, unforgiven512, arcee, toastfch, d0nk`, dalingrin, nemith, the rest of the cm team/TD, and anyone else who I've forgotten. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

MUST READ:
    Again, don't install this. And please don't "rom" this (as in change the font or background) and then ask for donations for your "hard work". This is a preview of a work in progress, not a final product, and it's not meant for people to use day-to-day. Don't be a ****. Thanks.
    --------------------screenshots---------------------

ncicsss1.png

About screen, wifi scanning, & bluetooth....
    icsnc.jpg
    icsncwifi1.jpg
    icsncbt.jpg

icsnc4.jpg
    ncicsss.png
    icsnc5.jpg
    icsnc6.jpg

ncicsss2.png
    ncicsss5.png

wpvW3.png
    Some thoughts...

Some good stuff...

fattire/dalingrin: aren't the new EGL libs from the defy very good news?

Not especially. We've had egl working on nook for about two weeks now. It just hasn't been public. The changes are pushed to frameworks/base now, and the defy is just using the flag(s). The code in questoin, by arcee I believe, was pushed up yesterday, which means everyone else will get the fast blue stuff seen in the screenshots. I tested it and some other stability stuff today, and I'm pushing it tonight/this morning. Anyone building now should notice a difference. The sacrifice for stability is a loss of some accelerated 2d graphics... but trust me, this is the best combo so far, and that other stuff can come later.

The big effort the last two days has been w/the kernel. After MANY hours of f'ing up, I finally got the appropriate netfilter working in 2.6.32 which means I can finally finish stuff like this:

icsnc11.jpg

That's a 1543 fwiw. I'm guessing it can do better. But whatever.

Gapps works too. Like Maps...

icsnc12.jpg

Gmail (with multiple panes/fragments)...

icsnc7.jpg

Market...

icsnc10.jpg

And the tablet apps install directly to the tablet from the web market. No questions or difficulty...

icsnc8.jpg

icsnc9.jpg

Neat. So here's what's working:

* bluetooth (only pairing is confirmed)
    * backlight
    * accelerometer
    * gapps
    * setcpu/overclock
    * physical menu button

Not working yet:

* sound (dalingrin's gonna start this I think. Arcee has code to support legacy drivers I believe.)
    * video
    * usb gadget (which means screenshots too I think)
    * build system (to auto-create upgrade.zips)

I'm pushing up most of what I have at the moment, including the test kernel-- I'll try to check that in tomorrow but it's a mess. It's been an all-night effort, so I'm sure stuff that I think works great will turn out to be a total dud when people actually try it.

I also wrote up a "how to build" walk-thru a couple days ago. But it'll need to be updated.

Still, not bad.
    New Kernel

Well, we decided to push the 2.6.32.59 kernel and wifi module into the repo. So, eyeballer's and Samiam303's builds should have the latest kernel by tomorrow.

What's Fixed
    • keyboard layout issues and key sizes
    • Wifi module preventing sleep and pinning cpu at max
    • wifi SOD - we'll see

What's New
    • PVR drivers backported from the omap3-3 kernel. *non-opengl versions may notice increased 3d scores in benchmarking. No noticeable improvement in opengl builds