[ZU_GPe][Kernel] Advanced Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery {v03}[20141019]

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
[ info ]

So here is an Advanced Stock kernel with DUAL Recoveries for the Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition!!

[ note on ZU GPE bootloader ]

so i have done some testing on a users device and here is what i found:
  • there are signature verification issues if u try and flash a modified OTA zip
  • even after unlocking bootloader we cant flash custom recovery to internal recovery (FOTAKernel partition)
  • i have tried:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  • and
    Code:
    fastboot flash FOTAKernel recovery.img
  • it flashes correctly but device still goes to standard recovery
  • then i tried with rooted device and directly DDed onto the FOTAKernel partition, the device never entered that recovery
  • so i am guessing tht Sony has blocked access to the FOTAKernel partition for flashing custom recoveries

only option remaining... use the old recovery in boot kernel system...

[ credits / special thanks ]

• Koush - for the brilliant work & coding on CWM recovery
  • CyanogenMod and FreeXperia Team (especially jerpelea) for too many things *:)
  • Dees_Troy for TWRP
  • @Phil3759 for PhilZ recovery
  • @krabappel2548 - for the recovery ramdisks for ZU
  • special thanks to [b @BLOWNCO[/b] for helping out with testing and risking their devices for the sake of development!!! and NO, their devices was NOT damaged during testing ;)
  • ME for creating this for u guys!

[ Requirements ]

• ONLY FOR Z Ultra Google Play Edition!

• Bootloader unlocked

• working fastboot

• STOCK GPE ROM
    • 4.4.4 - KTU84P.S1.3061 - v03
    • 4.4.3 - KTU84L.S1.3056 - v02
    • 4.4.2 - KOT49H.S2.2052- v01

[ features ]

1. DUAL RECOVERY SUPPORT!
    • customized PhilZ recovery v6.58.4!
    • standard TWRP recovery v2.8.0.1!
    • standard CWM recovery v6.0.4.7! (only v01 & v02)
  2. TIP: if u are experiencing very slow backup in CWM do this

[ WARNING ]

THIS RECOVERY IS STILL IN TESTING... MAKE SURE THAT U HAVE UR COMPLETE DATA BACKED-UP (INCLUDING INTERNAL STORAGE/SDCARD DATA)

THIS IS MENT ONLY FOR STOCK SONY 4.4.2 GPE ROM FIRMWARE or ROMS BASED ON THAT FIRMWARE...

[ known issues ]

i dont know you test out and let me know :D

[ how to flash this kernel ] (via fastboot)

1. download the kernel image
  2. flash the kernel image using fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
  3. reboot from fastboot
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  4. the device should now start booting
  5. to enter recovery follow the instructions given below

[ how to enter recovery ]

when you see the GOOGLE logo and the LED light turns pink/amber/orange keep tapping/pressing VOLUME UP key for CWM & VOLUME DOWN key for TWRP

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

OR

you can buy one of my awesome apps from Play Store!

[ download links ]

PLEASE DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES

NEW:

Advance Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery v03 (FW: 4.4.4 GPE - KTU84P.S1.3061)
MD5HASH: 134e9c074c59550c02ae261c67f502f6

OLD:

Advance Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery v02 (FW: 4.4.3 GPE - KTU84L.S1.3056)
MD5HASH: feef01bfb1d843d08355a4f8a5e15bf8

Advance Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery v01 (FW: 4.4.2 GPE - KOT49H.S2.2052) { MIRROR }
MD5HASH: 8a19cbe3e65bda9b44fb8a155f5ecf39

icon8.gif

enjoy!!!

Last edited:

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Awesome! I can't use it myself (Xperia), but it's awesome to have a new kernel for the GPe. Speaking of GPe, you should make that "only for GPe" warning a little bigger and redder. Do not underestimate the stupidity of some people.

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
@Reb0rn

The fact that it gives you proper recoveries incorporated into stock kernel... It's a naming system I have followed for some time now...

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Reb0rn

cCclown

Dec 9, 2013
@DooMLoRD

Could you provide OCing options to this kernel ?
With open Bootloader it was always my dream to OC + UV the stunning GPE Edition.
It would be wonderful to have this option, it would be really mad ocing the Adreno 330 while joining full X-Reality and Sony Sound enhancements.

Plzz *-*

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Can we overclock with this kernel ?

No.

@DooMLoRD

With open Bootloader it was always my dream to OC + UV the stunning GPE Edition.
It would be wonderful to have this option, it would be really mad ocing the Adreno 330 while joining full X-Reality and Sony Sound enhancements.

Plzz *-*

No.

I dont have this device with me, I have posted this kernel as a "thank you" for the community since i used the files form this device... but i wont be developing for this device as i dont have it with me...

and yes if a new update of OS/kernel comes I will keep updating this advanced stock kernel...

Reactions: liqn7 and abuihsan

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
@DooMLoRD

Plzz *-*

A dualbootkernel with tweaks is being developed. So just hang tight :)

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

Mi|enko

Jul 15, 2006
A dualbootkernel with tweaks is being developed. So just hang tight :)

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

When you say dualbootkernel, true dualboot for multirom support? Or are you referring to something else. I'd love to dualboot my GPe with the GPe SW and Stock SW. I like a lot of Sony's features, specifically the camera and the DLNA support.

AWFRONT

Jul 30, 2011
On C6833 with GPe ROM, It appears that when the Phil's Rcevery is used to install the ROM, I get an infinite set of reboots whilst it is seting up the ROM for the first time. However, On the dual Dual Recovery, when I use the TWRP, all seems fine. Just thought I make the developers aware. Other functions of Phil's Recovery appear to be functionig really well. Overall, i am happy with the efford and it is about time we give our XZU the treatment it deserves.

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
On C6833 with GPe ROM, It appears that when the Phil's Rcevery is used to install the ROM, I get an infinite set of reboots whilst it is seting up the ROM for the first time. However, On the dual Dual Recovery, when I use the TWRP, all seems fine. Just thought I make the developers aware. Other functions of Phil's Recovery appear to be functionig really well. Overall, i am happy with the efford and it is about time we give our XZU the treatment it deserves.

Philz recovery is not included in this...

As recommended in the OP please use the recovery in the kernel provided to flash!

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

chefp

May 15, 2010
FYI -- Cyanogenmod ROMs think that the device is a honami (Z1). Flashing CM11 in either Clockword or TWRP errors out with "this package is for c6808, c6806_gpe, togari, togari_gpe devices; this is a honami".

Was pulling my hair out for hours until I found a post by a kind soul who also saw this issue.
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/88520-z-ultra-gpe/

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
FYI -- Cyanogenmod ROMs think that the device is a honami (Z1). Flashing CM11 in either Clockword or TWRP errors out with "this package is for c6808, c6806_gpe, togari, togari_gpe devices; this is a honami".

Was pulling my hair out for hours until I found a post by a kind soul who also saw this issue.
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/88520-z-ultra-gpe/

Yep, known issue with some of our recoveries, only on the stock ROMs though, comes from using Z1's recovery images in the repacked boot.img.

Now that you have a ZU GPe make sure to NEVER flash a Sony FTF to it

chefp

May 15, 2010
Yep, known issue with some of our recoveries, only on the stock ROMs though, comes from using Z1's recovery images in the repacked boot.img.

Now that you have a ZU GPe make sure to NEVER flash a Sony FTF to it
Thanks for the tip! I'm a stock Android kinda guy and don't even want to touch Sorny's hacked up version :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ info ]

So here is an Advanced Stock kernel with DUAL Recoveries for the Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition!!

[ note on ZU GPE bootloader ]

so i have done some testing on a users device and here is what i found:
    • there are signature verification issues if u try and flash a modified OTA zip
    • even after unlocking bootloader we cant flash custom recovery to internal recovery (FOTAKernel partition)
    • i have tried:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    • and
      Code:
      fastboot flash FOTAKernel recovery.img
    • it flashes correctly but device still goes to standard recovery
    • then i tried with rooted device and directly DDed onto the FOTAKernel partition, the device never entered that recovery
    • so i am guessing tht Sony has blocked access to the FOTAKernel partition for flashing custom recoveries

only option remaining... use the old recovery in boot kernel system...

[ credits / special thanks ]

• Koush - for the brilliant work & coding on CWM recovery
    • CyanogenMod and FreeXperia Team (especially jerpelea) for too many things *:)
    • Dees_Troy for TWRP
    • @Phil3759 for PhilZ recovery
    • @krabappel2548 - for the recovery ramdisks for ZU
    • special thanks to [b @BLOWNCO[/b] for helping out with testing and risking their devices for the sake of development!!! and NO, their devices was NOT damaged during testing ;)
    • ME for creating this for u guys!

[ Requirements ]

• ONLY FOR Z Ultra Google Play Edition!

• Bootloader unlocked

• working fastboot

• STOCK GPE ROM
      • 4.4.4 - KTU84P.S1.3061 - v03
      • 4.4.3 - KTU84L.S1.3056 - v02
      • 4.4.2 - KOT49H.S2.2052- v01

[ features ]

1. DUAL RECOVERY SUPPORT!
      • customized PhilZ recovery v6.58.4!
      • standard TWRP recovery v2.8.0.1!
      • standard CWM recovery v6.0.4.7! (only v01 & v02)
    2. TIP: if u are experiencing very slow backup in CWM do this

[ WARNING ]

THIS RECOVERY IS STILL IN TESTING... MAKE SURE THAT U HAVE UR COMPLETE DATA BACKED-UP (INCLUDING INTERNAL STORAGE/SDCARD DATA)

THIS IS MENT ONLY FOR STOCK SONY 4.4.2 GPE ROM FIRMWARE or ROMS BASED ON THAT FIRMWARE...

[ known issues ]

i dont know you test out and let me know :D

[ how to flash this kernel ] (via fastboot)

1. download the kernel image
    2. flash the kernel image using fastboot:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
    3. reboot from fastboot
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    4. the device should now start booting
    5. to enter recovery follow the instructions given below

[ how to enter recovery ]

when you see the GOOGLE logo and the LED light turns pink/amber/orange keep tapping/pressing VOLUME UP key for CWM & VOLUME DOWN key for TWRP

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

OR

you can buy one of my awesome apps from Play Store!

[ download links ]

PLEASE DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES

NEW:

Advance Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery v03 (FW: 4.4.4 GPE - KTU84P.S1.3061)
    MD5HASH: 134e9c074c59550c02ae261c67f502f6

OLD:

Advance Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery v02 (FW: 4.4.3 GPE - KTU84L.S1.3056)
    MD5HASH: feef01bfb1d843d08355a4f8a5e15bf8

Advance Stock Kernel with Dual Recovery v01 (FW: 4.4.2 GPE - KOT49H.S2.2052) { MIRROR }
    MD5HASH: 8a19cbe3e65bda9b44fb8a155f5ecf39

icon8.gif

enjoy!!!
    Advanced Stock Kernel v03 released!

Now supports 4.4.4 ROM (KTU84P.S1.3061), sorry for late release!

as a bonus I have replaced CWM with custom PhilZ recovery!

hope you like it!

download link in first post!

regards,

DooMLoRD
    props to doomlord thanks for your work on this :good::good:
    Advanced Stock Kernel v02 released!

• updated with 4.4.3 KTU84L.S1.3056 firmware kernel & ramdisk
    • Updated Recoveries!
      • standard CWM recovery 6.0.4.7!
      • standard TWRP recovery 2.7.0.0!
    • Recoveries now correctly recognize/identify device

downloads at first post!

regards,

DooMLoRD
    It shouldn't unless doomlord updated it... If you flash this, you should be able to get into recovery but the device should bootloop.

You want me to put the hammer down?

Is there going to be an Advanced Stock Kernel for 4.4.4? Pleeeze?? If we ask nicely?

yes creating one now...