[Q] How to change Phone Defaults except build.prop?

Search This thread

coolsuper13

Jun 14, 2014
I have installed a ROM.When i go to settings,it shows at the end 'Custom build by Rocky" This really sucks.
I tried to change it by build.prop but i couldn't do that as 'Custom build by Rocky';this text was even not present there. I searched a lot for this.Now can anyone tell me how to change this..I am sure this specific text is not present in build.prop,is there any other file to do that?

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
I've had my fair share in rom development a year or so ago. And I can tell you that the name there is just a way of marking the rom.

But if you're really bothered by it, I can tell you how to find the string, edit it or completely remove it. To find the string - Custom build by Rocky, you can't just change it in build.prop. For this, you must go into /system/app and then copy Settings.apk file to your desktop. From there, go ahead and decompile Settings.apk with a preferred decompiler. When decompiled, head into the project, and navigate to the following folder - res/values and open strings.xml with a text editor. Search for Custom build by Rocky in the text file, once found. You may change it to whatever you wish. But if you want to remove it, you have to remember the ID of the string. For example, in - example text - which is the string, the text to the right. The ID is text the ID is found in the left hand side, it's after the word name . So remember that, now go back to the res directory and scroll down to the xml folder, open it and look for about.xml. In there search for text which is the ID. And remove the line completely. Also make sure to remove the header line too. As this will stop the layout from having an invisible section.

Now compile the Settings.apk and push it to your device - adb push desktop/path/to/Settings.apk /system/app or just copy Settings.apk to device and do it from there.

I do not encourage you to do this. And you can do this at your own risk. I will not take any responsibility if you mess up your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coolsuper13

Jun 14, 2014
I've had my fair share in rom development a year or so ago. And I can tell you that the name there is just a way of marking the rom.

But if you're really bothered by it, I can tell you how to find the string, edit it or completely remove it. To find the string - Custom build by Rocky, you can't just change it in build.prop. For this, you must go into /system/app and then copy Settings.apk file to your desktop. From there, go ahead and decompile Settings.apk with a preferred decompiler. When decompiled, head into the project, and navigate to the following folder - res/values and open strings.xml with a text editor. Search for Custom build by Rocky in the text file, once found. You may change it to whatever you wish. But if you want to remove it, you have to remember the ID of the string. For example, in - example text - which is the string, the text to the right. The ID is text the ID is found in the left hand side, it's after the word name . So remember that, now go back to the res directory and scroll down to the xml folder, open it and look for about.xml. In there search for text which is the ID. And remove the line completely. Also make sure to remove the header line too. As this will stop the layout from having an invisible section.

Now compile the Settings.apk and push it to your device - adb push desktop/path/to/Settings.apk /system/app or just copy Settings.apk to device and do it from there.

Can u suggest me some apk decompilers?

coolsuper13

Jun 14, 2014
Try "APKTool" just search for it on the search part of this site, it should come up.

Hey bro! This method worked..
But,now i am in a more big problem.
By the way that test was 'Custom build by Jatin' not Rocky.
The new settings.apk which i recompiled after editing that line successfully was not directly installing on my phone.
So,i replaced that new apk with the settings.apk in my ROM which contains 'Custom Build by Jatin' text..
Now,when i installed that ROM again,everthing went right ..but when i cheked the apps ...My settings option was no more..It was not installed during the ROM installation..I manually also tried to install that but nothing was achieved!
Now ,how to fix this? Hey bro,I am also attaching that settings.apk ,see if you can edit that line yourself and then again attach here for my use.Its line 176 in res/strings ,,just replace that line from 'Custom Build' only...
Please help me bro.

Attachments

• Settings.apk
    4.3 MB · Views: 5

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Sorry, I just saw your post. Oh and I'm glad it works now. With system apps, you mustn't sign them. They don't work properly.