[TIP] How to make Opera Mobile 10 the default browser

Search This thread

drjim

Nov 29, 2008
Below are the values that are set by Opera Mobile 10 in the registry... I cooked them into my ROM and they work (I'm using a Touch HD with mostly Diamond2 OEMs).

I have attached a CAB file in case you need it.

EDIT: The line quoted below with "DEFBROWSER" in it has a space after the D, due to the formatting limitations of this site for long words. Just take out the space.

Will this cab work on a Fuze running 10 beta 2u? What exactly does these regedits do?

Thanks.

wtherrell

Dec 30, 2008
Well, looks like it's working.

I just reinstalled Opera 10 from the cab to My Storage. At the end of the install it asked if I wanted to set Opera 10 as my default browser. Most of it works.

WBFAir

Dec 26, 2009
Hello all.

When I installed Opera 10 beta 2u it asked for would you like for 10 to be default which I did, I also installed Dsixda cab.

But on my new Verizon TP2 this did not make everything default.

Mostly what I care about really anyway is the main Browser shortcut from the TF3D's browser tab page as well as the "More Detail Online" option for the Weather page.

Both of those still use the original Opera which I would have to assume are probably due to reg links specific to those?

At any rate if any one finds how to get those to switch to Opera 10, please reply.

Thanks

mmeyer4663

Feb 8, 2006
Broomfield, CO
To get Touch Flo to use Opera as default:
HKCU/Software/HTC/Manila Value Name:DefaultBrowserIsIE Value Data: 0
Default is 1.

Now when you use one of the shortcuts in the Internet Tab, the Opera Browser will be used.

WBFAir

Dec 26, 2009
To get Touch Flo to use Opera as default:
HKCU/Software/HTC/Manila Value Name: DefaultBrowserIsIE Value Data: 0
Default is 1.

Now when you use one of the shortcuts in the Internet Tab, the Opera Browser will be used.
I looked for this on my stock OS TP2 and first, it wasn't even there. So I thought maybe it might have been as I never had IE for a default browser so I added it as a D Value and made it 0 but still the default Opera was used, then changed it to 1 and still the same.

Not to be a smart axx but just to point out if this was missed, the issue here is not getting Opera over IE to be the default but to get Opera "10" over the supplied Opera as the default.

mmeyer4663

Feb 8, 2006
Broomfield, CO
Ok.
I have the TMO TP2. Running the cdguider_TMOUS_Shipped_Rom_1.20.531.4 ROM.
After loading the ROM, I went into Opera 9 and got into opera:config and made the change in the install section. Then I loaded up Opera 10 beta 2 and selected to make it the default.
I then ran Opera_Mobile_10_reg.cab.
Once that was complete, I made the reg edit I indicated above.
For me, now Opera 10 is the default browser for Touch flow hyperlinks and for hyper links in e-mails.

I also made the following changes in InternetPortal-en-us.xml, in Application Data/Manilla:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<InternetPortal>
<BrowserExe>\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe</BrowserExe>
<IncludeUserFavorites>False</IncludeUserFavorites>
<OperatorLinks>
<Link
Text="AccuWeather"
NavigateUrl="http://accuweather.com/m/en-us/NAM/US/CO/Erie/80516/Forecast.aspx"
ImagePath="\Windows\_Bookmark_icon.qtc" />
<Link
Text="YouTube"
Executable="\windows\youtube.exe"
ImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPortal\youtube.qtc" />
<Link
Text="TMONEWS"
NavigateUrl="http://tmonews.com"
<Link
Text="ENGADGET"
NavigateUrl="http://engadget.com"
<Link
Text="MobileSpeedTest"
NavigateUrl="http://mobilespeedtest.com/test/big.php"
<Link
Text="9News"
NavigateUrl="http://m.9news.com"
</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

Hope this helps!

WBFAir

Dec 26, 2009
Hello mmeyer4663

I have tried all above aside from the changes in the xml file but again no go.

This is what I have in my InternetPortal-en-us.xml file

<InternetPortal>
<IncludeUserFavorites>True</IncludeUserFavorites>
<Banner
DefaultImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPortal\banner.qtc"
SelectedImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPortal\banner_selected.qtc"
Text="Launch Browser"
Width="480"
Height="215" />
<OperatorLinks>

</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

So probably a lot of the other stuff in yours is for things that are not on mine. So should I just make it like this?

<InternetPortal>
<Banner
SelectedImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPortal\banner_selected.qtc"
Text="Launch Browser"
Width="480"
Height="215" />
<OperatorLinks>

</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

As well to do this can it be done correctly by copying the file to my PC's desktop, then changing the xml extension to txt, then make it like above and save it then change the extension back to xml and copy it into my manila folder on the HH?

Thanks

WBFAir

Dec 26, 2009
Well mmeyer4663

I went ahead and changed it, I used Total Commander and made the altercation right in the TP2.

Here is a direct copy from what I had after:

<InternetPortal>
<Banner
Text="Launch Browser"
Width="480"
Height="215" />
<OperatorLinks>

</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

I restarted the device and still from the internet browser tab of TF3d it starts Opera9

Just to note, although I didn't check it before, it does open Opera 10 from a e-mail link.

At any rate I think this must be some where in the Verizon's TF3D's browser programs stuff as everything else does it.

Hopefully someone will find the answer.

mmeyer4663

Feb 8, 2006
Broomfield, CO
Well mmeyer4663

I went ahead and changed it, I used Total Commander and made the altercation right in the TP2.

Here is a direct copy from what I had after:

<InternetPortal>
<Banner
Text="Launch Browser"
Width="480"
Height="215" />
<OperatorLinks>

</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

I restarted the device and still from the internet browser tab of TF3d it starts Opera9

Just to note, although I didn't check it before, it does open Opera 10 from a e-mail link.

At any rate I think this must be some where in the Verizon's TF3D's browser programs stuff as everything else does it.

Hopefully someone will find the answer.

This may be an obvious question but, did you install Opera 10 on your device or on your storage card? I installed Opera 10 on my device.

WBFAir

Dec 26, 2009
I installed in on my device, actually I don't even have a card yet.

I tell ya, I could be wrong but I'm really thinking this must be something that is hard coded into the Verizon Launcher programs.

Last night I spent hours going over the registry searching for OperaL, Opera9 and even just Opera and I couldn't find anything that either wasn't already changed, or was completely irrelevant, at least as far as I could tell.

The only thing I wondered about was that there were a few entries in the Task Manger thing which I left as they were all zero'ed from what I'm thinking is as a result of a memory saving cab I installed.

An yes I installed Opera 10 before I installed the cab.

So, so far everything else I know will open Opera 10 but my TF3D Browser tab and Weather Tab if I click on the "more info" will not, which ironically are the very two I would want more then anything.

mmeyer4663

Feb 8, 2006
Broomfield, CO
I installed in on my device, actually I don't even have a card yet.

I tell ya, I could be wrong but I'm really thinking this must be something that is hard coded into the Verizon Launcher programs.

Last night I spent hours going over the registry searching for OperaL, Opera9 and even just Opera and I couldn't find anything that either wasn't already changed, or was completely irrelevant, at least as far as I could tell.

The only thing I wondered about was that there were a few entries in the Task Manger thing which I left as they were all zero'ed from what I'm thinking is as a result of a memory saving cab I installed.

An yes I installed Opera 10 before I installed the cab.

So, so far everything else I know will open Opera 10 but my TF3D Browser tab and Weather Tab if I click on the "more info" will not, which ironically are the very two I would want more then anything.
Sounds like there is quite a difference between TMO and Verz version.
Have you tried starting a discussion over at http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569119? I did a little looking around but could not find anything.

iPollesion

Oct 18, 2008
Make Opera Mobile 10 Default Browser Fix

In response to dsixda's post with the reg fixes to make the browser default again, it didn't work for me.. as Opera was cooked into the ROM I'm using and there was no Opera folder in the "Program Files" folder either on the device itself or the sd card, so I used his cab file and it didn't work quite for me, because his reg entries point to "\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\" I've recompiled a new cab file with the needed Registry fixes to point to "\Windows\"

Have fun everyone.

P.S. Also attached registry file (rename it to xxx.reg) in case you don't want to install a cab file (you can import it), you should replace the directory path to point to whichever folder "Opera10-armv4i.exe" is located in.

Attachments

• operafix.reg.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 468

shatner

Jan 10, 2009
still no working on Stock Sprint TP2 :( thanks for the hard work tho, I would love to get rid of Opera 9.7

skamin

Nov 5, 2007
Opera Mobile 10 - Push Pages

Reading through this post, it's pretty clear that different people/ROMs/setups have differnt problems.

In my case (using EnergyROM_21885_RAPHAEL_24.Dec.2009_Standard):

(1) After installing and launching Opera Mobile 10 Beta 2u, it asked whether I wanted it to be the default browser. I replied "yes", and now Opera 10 opens when clicking links anywhere (e.g. in email) and also when clicking "Launch Browser" from the Internet tab.

(2) I changed \Windows\27c65cbd_manila so that clicking the Opera icon in the Internet tab will launch Opera 10, as well as clicking bookmarks inside the Bookmarks page that is accessed from the Internet tab.

(3) What I'm missing are functional Push Pages. Clicking push page icons in the Internet tab launches the old Opera 9.

I assume there is another registry setting or file (most probably) that needs to be changed. Any ideas will be welcome.

- Shay

Last edited:

wtherrell

Dec 30, 2008
Works for me.

Easiest way I found was to uninstall Opera 10 and also delete the profile folder then reinstall and it asks if you wish to set as default browser? Select yes and that has it set as default without having to change the registry entries:)

Worked for me! And I spent hours and hours trying to change registry settings, etc. and it turned out to be this simple!!
Now how do I get rid of Opera9 to save some memory space? It doen't show up in "Remove Programs>

WBFAir

Dec 26, 2009
Hey guys just thought I would make a post that I finally was able to get Opera10 as my default for the TF3D internet tab.

So along with, installing it and replying yes to the default thing and using the Make it the default cab here on this tread, and with adding the proper lines in InternetPortal-en-US.xml, what I found finally did it was to set the parameter, Internet.SetOperaForeground found at HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila from 1 to 0.

After that I get Opera10 from that tab, as well too all the parameters in InternetPortal-en-US.xml like the default start page are all working now!

Good stuff.

So far the only thing that won't start in Opera10 is the More Detail Online>> thing on the Weather page.

At any rate just thought would post about that one and btw if anyone knows how to remove those 4 add a push page options and the search banner box from that tab please let me know.

Thanks.

matusai

Mar 26, 2007
Hatillo
Thanks for the .Cab, but I also haved to make a small registry change:
Content of /HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shell/Rai/:DEFBROWSER
0 = Opera Browser
1 = "\Storage Card\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe"
2 = 1
3 = 0

After that Opera was my default browser, working with manilla, on my At&t Fuze

A|ex

Oct 8, 2008
Hong Kong
The reg and cab dont seem to work on my htc touch hd the touchflo doesnt update but everything else Windows does.

markasteinke

Feb 12, 2010
Willow Spring
Upgrade from Opera 9 to 10 Tilt2

Can someone priovide me detailed instructions for entry level user? I see reference to registry entries etc and this is all greek to me. Thanks!

geenyous

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 20, 2007
Shanghai
no joy....

I am on a diamond with wm 6.5 and I installed the Opera 10 B3 Repack (No Prompts/Flash Lite/Rotation/More) from here: http://xdaforums.com/show...postcount=1458
Apparently the cab also makes it your default browser after install, however this is not working. When opening a link from RSSHub I get a error saying the html file cannot be openend.
I have tried all the suggestions, also corrected the path to lead to "\InternalStorage\Program Files\Opera Mobile 10\Opera10-armv4i.exe" (yes, InternalStorage is one word on my ROM on the diamond...)

I also dont use TouchFlo, only need it to simply open links from RSSHub.
Apart from that, the browser works perfectly.

Any suggestions? is there something "special" on the diamond, other reg settings to alter?

Thanks,
Geen

UPDATE: I just installed on device, worked "out the box" as it should... Seems like it is not possible (at least not for me...) to have it installed on the Internal Storage of the diamond... will keep trying

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have to chnage 3 registry keys

If you want to set opera 10 as default browser you have to change tree regsitry keys to the opera 10.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:DEFBROWSER]
    "1"="\"\\Storage Card\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\""
    "0"="Opera10"
    "Opera Browser"=dword:00000000
    "3"=dword:00000000
    "2"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\Shell\Open\Command]
    @="\"\\Storage Card\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\" %1"
    "backup"="\"\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\" %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\Shell\Open\Command]
    @="\"\\Storage Card\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\" %1"
    "backup"="\"\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\" %1"
    Below are the values that are set by Opera Mobile 10 in the registry... I cooked them into my ROM and they work (I'm using a Touch HD with mostly Diamond2 OEMs).

I have attached a CAB file in case you need it.

EDIT: The line quoted below with "DEFBROWSER" in it has a space after the D, due to the formatting limitations of this site for long words. Just take out the space.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera10]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera10\Settings]
    "LandScapeBackup"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera10\Info]
    "OperaWindowClass"="OM10-ML-MainWndClass"
    "InstallPath"="\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\"
    "OperaExeName"="Opera10-armv4i.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:DEFBROWSER]
    "1"="\"\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\""
    "0"="Opera Browser"
    "3"=dword:00000000
    "2"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wsp]
    @="Wireless Session Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wsp\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wsp\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wsp\Shell\Open\Command]
    @="\"\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\" %1"
    "backup"="iexplore.exe %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file]
    @="File Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\file\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp]
    @="File Transfer Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ftp\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https]
    @="Secure HyperText Transfer"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http]
    @="HyperText Transfer Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile]
    @="HTML Document"
    "EditFlags"=dword:00010000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\DefaultIcon]
    @="\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe,-103"
    "backup"="browsres.dll,-6703"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\Shell\Open\Command]
    @="\"\\Program Files\\Opera Mobile 10\\Opera10-armv4i.exe\" /Unescaped file:%1"
    "backup"="iexplore.exe file:%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlcfile]
    @="WML Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlcfile\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlcfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlcfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlcfile\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlfile]
    @="WML Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlfile\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wmlfile\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile]
    @="XML Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\DefaultIcon]
    "backup"="browsres.dll,-6707"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icoimage\DefaultIcon]
    "backup"="iexplore.exe,-1005"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icoimage\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icoimage\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icoimage\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xhtmlfile]
    @="XHTML Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xhtmlfile\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xhtmlfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xhtmlfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xhtmlfile\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile]
    @="XML Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile\DefaultIcon]
    "backup"="browsres.dll,-6708"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile\Shell\Open\Command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wbmpfile]
    @="Wireless Bitmap Image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wbmpfile\DefaultIcon]
    "backup"="browsres.dll,-6705"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wbmpfile\Shell]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wbmpfile\Shell\Open]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wbmpfile\Shell\Open\Command]
    "backup"="pimg.exe \"%1\""