[Q] Having SBK2 device, what can and can't be done?

Search This thread

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
So, my brand new Transformer came yesterday (From Amazon) and it has an SBK v2 bootloader (sbk detect under mac, serial is BC0KAS), here is what I understood, and ask for questions, after many reading, can you please confirm or correct?

1- SBK v1 can be rooted, put custom roms, return back to stock, unbrick in case something goes wrong with nvflash. [CONFIRMED]

2- SBK v2 can be rooted? (some say B70 can, or is it just B70 with SBK v1?) [CONFIRMED]

3- SBK v2 can have custom roms? (depends on point 2)? [CONFIRMED]

4- SBK v2 cannot have ClockWorkMod? [Wrong, SBKv2 CAN have ClockWorkMod]

5- SBK v2 does NOT support nvflash, so if you softbrick you cannot recover (I am certain of this one, I guess). [CONFIRMED, if you damage ROM & clockworkmod = BRICK]

What can be done then with an SBK v2 device? wait for developers to find the ways to crack it (as sbkv1), or have an nvflash working?

Is there some petition open to tell Asus to unblock the bootloader as they did with the Transformer Prime?

currently (after 1 day), I am already thinking of returning it back.

I know i might be asking a lot of questions, but information is not easily available in 1 thread.

Update:
New question: with SBKv2 is it possible to return back to stock (Stock ROM, unrooted with stock recovery)?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
SBK doesn't keep you from rooting from what I understand, the firmware version does (current 8.6.5.21 has been cracked and can be rooted by nachoroot, or if not can be firmware upgraded to 8.6.6.19 and rooted with razorclaw)

SBK2 simply keeps you from using NVFlash to recover, as far as I know, once you are rooted, you can install CWM recovery on any SBK version.

Just alot of SBK2 owners have not rooted or installed CWM if they did root for fear of losing their recovery (if you bungle the recovery, you may be able to flash your recovery through the ROM, if you mess up your ROM, you can flash another ROM through CWM or stock recovery, BUT if your recovery img is corrupted AND your ROM stops working, SBK1 can flash both via NVFlash, SBK2 is effectively bricked)

EDIT: SBK2 USED to keep you from being able to root when NVFlash was the only method available for rooting and installing superuser and busybox, see here
http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1347388.html

Last edited:

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
I was going to say I will try to NVFlash my device and tell you if it is SBK1 or 2, I assumed it would be SBK2 because it is B70, but lo and behold it was SBK1..I would have been lucky a few months ago before the razorclaw app was developed and SBK2 was rooted, but I didn't get my TF until after that..

So, SBK1 here have gone to stock many times, but cannot confirm the procedure for SBK2 tablets, though I assume it is possible. Thought for sure I was going to be able to come back and say my TF was SBK2 and had been to stock, but nope haha

EDIT: considering you can backup your entire setup via CWM, recovery mage and all, and flash it wthin CWM (like restoring the backup) is evidence to me that you can no doubt unroot an SBK2 as long as you have a working recovery image.

Last edited:

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
From what I understand, the first thing to do on a new device is to have root (with the tools you mentioned), once you have this (stock ROM with root), you can install CWM, and with CWM you can install custom and stock roms.

but how can I bring back the standard Stock recovery? when I have stock unrooted ROM I can't flash Recovery partition from the Android itself, and nvflash doesn't work on SBK2. can CWM be used to flash a stock recovery over itself?

Is there any chance that Asus will unlock the TF101 when it releases the tool to unlock the Transformer Prime (in February, as promissed)? in case they both use same blocking technology?

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
From what I understand, the first thing to do on a new device is to have root (with the tools you mentioned), once you have this (stock ROM with root), you can install CWM, and with CWM you can install custom and stock roms.

but how can I bring back the standard Stock recovery? when I have stock unrooted ROM I can't flash Recovery partition from the Android itself, and nvflash doesn't work on SBK2. can CWM be used to flash a stock recovery over itself?

Is there any chance that Asus will unlock the TF101 when it releases the tool to unlock the Transformer Prime (in February, as promissed)? in case they both use same blocking technology?

Yes you can flash stock recovery over cwm from within cwm, you have to have the file..i found it and have it on my hard drive, but can't remember where i got it from..the same procedure as going stock on sbk1 tablets

The proof that you can flash recovery while in recovery mode is that you can install higher versions or different developer's versions of recoveries from cwm. Im sure when running cwm it is being read from ram so flashing the recovery partition will only affect your recovery after you reboot (i.e. Can technically go into cwm, flash recovery partition first and then flash stock rom, but i believe packages are available to flash both at once, and there would be no reason to do it in this order, but im pretty sure it could be done)

Somewhere on here is a guide how to return to stock to prepare for the ics update, it should contain the odd bits and links to fill in my sparse knowledge.

Last edited:

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
That's the one! :)
8329 recovery.zip.. Btw it should be noted that the recovery image is not region-branded, that should mean it will work with any region, while you will need to make sure to get the region-specific firmware..

And i did the procedure in reverse from that thread, not to confuse, but i:

Placed both files (recovery and firmware) into my sd card root
Booted into cwm and flashed stock recovery, wipe everything before powering down
Rebooted into recovery again and flashed the firmware with stock recovery.

I think it will work either way, i left my rooted rom in place so i could install cwm if the recovery flash failed, i suppose the alternative is leaving your recovery in place in case the stock rom flash fails..i just like knowing on the first reboot whether my first flash was successful and not flashing blind imo.

Last edited:

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
I was under the impression from reading different Asus statements that the sbk for TF-101 was going to be released with ICS the way it was with TF-201, did Asus not keep their word on this?

Cheers!
-M
Xda member since 2007

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo
I was under the impression from reading different Asus statements that the sbk for TF-101 was going to be released with ICS the way it was with TF-201, did Asus not keep their word on this?

Cheers!
-M
Xda member since 2007

That would be news to me. If you could find a source for this statement, I would be interested.

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
From what I understood reading (this forum and other sites), the story is different between TF101 and TF201: the Prime has the bootloader locked/encrypted, and with it locked you can't even install the CWM recovery, while with sbkv2 you can do everything except nvflash, so i doubt that asus will release anything for the sbkv2 transformers.

anyway, i am not following the subject, but does the new Prime unlocker allow something like nvflash to work?

pyroboy1080

May 16, 2010
RMA

Thinking about calling ASUS to ***** about this tablet being locked and demanding the opportunity to either downgrade to sbk1 or upgrade to a prime. I'll let y'all know my findings.

Reactions: Thing O Doom

shyam163

Oct 8, 2011
Kochi
nvflash for sbk v2,finally ?

android root .mobi has a released a a solution, i am going to try it, will post results when done

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
The revival of the thread from the dead! -dun dun dun-!

Anyway, yes 'Wheelie!' Nvflash for Sbkv2 devices has been released, and works very well on my b70 Sbkv2
it only works on the tf101 though, not the G or Slider.

magickone

Jun 18, 2010
I'm about to buy used Eee Pad Transformer TF101, with dock/keyboard. It has serial number starting with B90KAS and latest firmware update (ICS).

What is the current status of bootloader unlocking craft? :) Would I be able to install Ubuntu/OpenSUSE and/or use custom kernels with latest KatKiss ROMs?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts