Keylime Pie instead of Kit Kat!

Search This thread

Slorks

Jul 7, 2010
Kuwait City
So I finally get my Spanking new Nexus 5 this morning I switch it on and its running Keylime Pie?!!?! WHY? whats going on? Phone was sealed in box brand new i'm shocked

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-20-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-12-17-20-29.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 8,901
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mevordel

egofreak

Apr 9, 2011
Philadelphia
Its horrible its laggy buggy and everything force closes i was lucky i got a screen shot in.

There could still be goodies?:eek:

Still interesting. Whats the build number on that phone? Sounds like you have one that either missed getting updated before being shipped, or an old one from the back of the store room. Who knows, might have the code for "Always listening" Google now hiding under all the bugs?

Slorks

Jul 7, 2010
Kuwait City
There could still be goodies?:eek:

Still interesting. Whats the build number on that phone? Sounds like you have one that either missed getting updated before being shipped, or an old one from the back of the store room. Who knows, might have the code for "Always listening" Google now hiding under all the bugs?

its all up there in that one screen shot i put in build number and everything.
I emailed the seller waiting to either return it or just update it myself.

Johmama

Apr 2, 2013
Well, I came into this thread expecting completely different results.

OP, do a system dump and upload it. Maybe there are some goodies on there that we can use. It seems you've got your hands on a test/debug build of Android. Does the phone hardware look like it should? "nexus" printed on the back, area where the IMEI sticker should be, etc.?

Reactions: darkrom

Slorks

Jul 7, 2010
Kuwait City
Well, I came into this thread expecting completely different results.

OP, do a system dump and upload it. Maybe there are some goodies on there that we can use. It seems you've got your hands on a test/debug build of Android. Does the phone hardware look like it should? "nexus" printed on the back, area where the IMEI sticker should be, etc.?

yup its legit sticker on the screen IMEI sticker on the back i switch it on and the boot animation was from the first build of ICS only it was cropped in the middle of the screen then to my surprise i'm running Keylime pie. Ive never done a system dump before i'm on this other thread now figuring out how to flash stock kit kat. It's frustrating. You're like "this is not what i paid for" you know?

Jubakuba

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 22, 2010
Pueblo, Colorado
yup its legit sticker on the screen IMEI sticker on the back i switch it on and the boot animation was from the first build of ICS only it was cropped in the middle of the screen then to my surprise i'm running Keylime pie. Ive never done a system dump before i'm on this other thread now figuring out how to flash stock kit kat. It's frustrating. You're like "this is not what i paid for" you know?

Maybe don't buy a brand-new device second-hand.
That's always a bad sign. Either the device had issues and they're too lazy to return it or it's fake...possibly they don't like it but there's probably reasoning behind that to merit immediately selling a $400 phone a week max after receiving it.

Reactions: monkeypaws

Synyster06Gates

Jan 17, 2011
Leander, Texas
That's REALLY strange. Kinda cool. I think you got a test device.

Maybe don't buy a brand-new device second-hand.
That's always a bad sign. Either the device had issues and they're too lazy to return it or it's fake...possibly they don't like it but there's probably reasoning behind that to merit immediately selling a $400 phone a week max after receiving it.

Where did you see he got it second hand?

Last edited:

matthewr87

Mar 6, 2012
London
Interesting. Under "Model Number" it also says "AOSP on Hammerhead". Also why would it say "KeyLimePie" instead of an actual number like "4.4" under Android Version. Something odd is going on here.

Reactions: areghas

JPOKeefe

Jan 7, 2012
its all up there in that one screen shot i put in build number and everything.
I emailed the seller waiting to either return it or just update it myself.

Hold up on that. At least do a system dump first.
If you don't know how use this guide.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380797
If you don't have the android SDK go here and download the platform tools attached in the 8th comment and open command line there then follow that guide.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33510112
Also you need to enable android debugging.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Iemandiejenietkent

BiznessMan

Mar 20, 2008
Salt Lake City
Going to also say "Do a system dump" simply because A) You seem to be one of the very "lucky" few to have an older device and B) Who knows what kind of things are hiding in that system image.

I mean, its your phone and you paid for it so I don't blame you for wanting to just flash KitKat onto it. However, that system image could benefit the development community somehow. Either way, this is really interesting.

iNaruX

Jun 29, 2012
Don´t update it for Pete´s sake, that might be a treasure! "Early Development device" ...in 10 years that´s gonna be worth something on ebay!

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Looks like a test build for sure - if you google sangjoon84.lee you'll find that kernel build referenced in all the FCC info and prior N5 leaks.
I just checked that aswell. It's weird though because other mentions of it have KyeLimePie whereas this screenshot shows it spelt correctly.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
This isn't the first time a non shipping build came with a nexus phone.

In fact, all of our N5's shipped with key lime pie. It just forced an update at setup.

The reason why this didn't update is its not in an OTA path. Its a test build.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BiznessMan

Mar 20, 2008
Salt Lake City
OP if you are willing to dump the system image for us here are some easy steps on doing that.

Download the Android tools here

All you have to do is dump the contents of the zip onto your C: directory. Enable USB debugging on your phone and plug it in via USB. Then open CMD prompt and type:
CD C:\

You should then see
C:\

Now just type:
adb.exe pull /system/

This will dump the image which you can then zip and share later if you wanted. I would advise doing a dump seeing as how this is extremely rare. Again though, its your call.

Reactions: darkrom

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Is it already unlocked? Would be wild if this was just some Google employee's test device for a couple weeks or simmering!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I seriously cannot handle XDA sometimes. "Don't update it, maybe the phone that never had Verizon support will magically have it in this old build."

Come on now.

Alright. I"m gonna do the system dump for you guys i'm doing it for the first time so be patient with me. I love this place too much to deprive it with my unfortunate luck of getting keylime pie when i obviously prefer kitkat lol anyways, here goes nothing. I'd appreciate it though if someone could also help me on getting it on kitkat like it suppose to be. i'll screen shot some crazy things i just found in the menu its like a hidden menu.
    this is what we got
    Edit: if you need a hand, I will be glad to help as well. I'll be home in about 4 hours.

This is why XDA folks rule. People here are always willing to help each other out for no other reason then just helping someone out. It does not get any better then that.

Good stuff man!
    Everybody can do what the troll op did by simple editing the buildprop. Have fun.