Alternative to Motorola Triumph - Samsung Exhibit II 4G

Search This thread
Mar 17, 2011
:D

A lot of troubles with Triumph? Motorola not fixing software? There is an alternative now.

People have choice to switch to Samsung Exhibit II 4G on T-Mobile. It is 194.98 in Walmart and has monthly no contract Monthly4G plan - 100 min talk + unlimited text + unlimited web - USD 30/Month

Walmart.com: T-Mobile Samsung T679 Exhibit II 4G Prepaid Android Smartphone: Cell Phones

Monthly4G Plan details:

Walmart.com: (Email Delivery) New T-Mobile Monthly4G $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min of talk: Cell Phones

Specs and review:

Android 2.3
3.7 Inch AMOLED screen
1 GHz Processor
512 MB RAM
4 GB ROM
Front Camera VGA
3 MP Rear Camera
wi-fi calling
DLNA
VPN
GSM Quadband - Can be used all over the world if unlocked

HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps

More detail specs at:

Features and Specifications - Samsung Exhibit

Review at:

Samsung Exhibit II 4G Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

I compared features of Triumph and Exhibit II 4G and found that HDMI port is missing in Exhibit II 4G. However, it has FM Radio hardware, 3.0 Bluetooth, and wi-fi Hotspot (T-Mobile official).

Compare Mobile Phones, Cell phone Comparisons - Compare Specifications, Prices, Pictures, Videos

Last edited:

primetechv2

Nov 5, 2010
I compared features of Triumph and Exhibit II 4G and found that HDMI port is missing in Exhibit II 4G. However, it has FM Radio hardware, 3.0 Bluetooth, and wi-fi Hotspot (T-Mobile official).

Compare Mobile Phones, Cell phone Comparisons - Compare Specifications, Prices, Pictures, Videos

I'm going to play pessimistic jerk (not hard for me) because I loved my Triumph. So here's my "Triumph over Exhibit" list:

The Triumph pretends to be a Motorola, but the Exhibit pretends to be a Galaxy SII. Why either company is trying for the honor of "worst phone with our high-end label on it" I will not know, but this SII isn't.

The screen is smaller. Than a Galaxy S.

The camera has fewer pixels. Two million. That's pixel genocide.

I strongly doubt T-Mobile included a hotspot feature unless they really got sloppy. A lot of websites list specs that aren't there, or list arbitrary specs. I won't believe they did that one until I see evidence.

Last edited:

eShrooms

Oct 18, 2011
Denver, CO
I honestly would go buy one if I could somehow get my triumph sold, but it seems like once a phone is activated on VM you're pretty much screwed. You can call them up and transfer it to another VM number... but nobody in the market for a phone will want to deal with all that.

The 100 minutes is a killer, but if you're a voip user its not really an issue. The only thing that REALLY makes me want to switch is the 4g. I guess ill just hold out and hope that VM eventually upgrades their mobile network.

Sent from my Triumph using XDA App

primetechv2

Nov 5, 2010
I honestly would go buy one if I could somehow get my triumph sold, but it seems like once a phone is activated on VM you're pretty much screwed. You can call them up and transfer it to another VM number... but nobody in the market for a phone will want to deal with all that.

The 100 minutes is a killer, but if you're a voip user its not really an issue. The only thing that REALLY makes me want to switch is the 4g. I guess ill just hold out and hope that VM eventually upgrades their mobile network.

Sent from my Triumph using XDA App

Oh bah. After destroying my last Triumph I would be happy to buy a used one as long as it worked. Maybe you should hook me up once I get $200 to spend on it.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

tannerzion

Aug 4, 2011
Oh bah. After destroying my last Triumph I would be happy to buy a used one as long as it worked. Maybe you should hook me up once I get $200 to spend on it.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

Seriously, call Virgin Mobile, tell them the truth, they'll probably replace it.

After using the 4.1" screen of the Triumph, I wouldn't be able to go down to 3.7".

Aug 14, 2010
Randleman
After using the 4.1" screen of the Triumph, I wouldn't be able to go down to 3.7".[/QUOTE]

That's my killer. After having a large screen I don't think I could go smaller. Besides now running MIUI it's a really nice phone.

piperx

All I can say is the op must be a salesman, he/she has this same exact thread posted on just about every android forum I read. :confused:

IMHO it (samsung exhibit II) is a downgrade to the triumph, however, the one thing it has that I wish the triumph (virgin mobile/sprint) had was GSM.

I think the triumph kicks @ss with CM7, hopefully CM9 works just as well :)

primetechv2

Nov 5, 2010
Seriously, call Virgin Mobile, tell them the truth, they'll probably replace it.

After using the 4.1" screen of the Triumph, I wouldn't be able to go down to 3.7".

Yes, Mister Rep, my friend was using the phone and got extremely angry at it. And seems to have smashed the screen. And poked it. And attempted to snap it in half, crosswise. Am I still eligible for phone insurance?

No, Mister Rep, he's not my friend anymore.

ybi

Dec 28, 2011
FM Radio

Hello OP,

You wrote -

What will it take to activate the FM Radio in Exhibit II?

Thanks.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Exhibit II 4G discussion areas

Exhibit II 4G discussion areas

Since we don't have a forum we've centralized at the links below:

Exhibit II 4g discussion HERE
Exhibit II 4g dev thread HERE
Exhibit II 4g Wiki HERE

MotoTriu

Jan 21, 2012
All thought the exhibit out-specs the triumph in some departments the triumph has ALOT more custom ROMS.We have MIUI based on android 2.3 and cm7 and th devs are working on MIUI v4 and cm9 in the works,not to mention alot other smaller ROMS

marc12868

Feb 12, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
All thought the exhibit out-specs the triumph in some departments the triumph has ALOT more custom ROMS.We have MIUI based on android 2.3 and cm7 and th devs are working on MIUI v4 and cm9 in the works,not to mention alot other smaller ROMS

Actually it under specs the MT in most departments. The only thing that it has over the MT is 4g and maybe less hardware bugs. If you want an alternate get any post paid T-mobile phone and get a prepaid activation kit activate it online and choose the $30 plan. There are plenty of dual core 4g phone's that you can get for fairly cheap used or new on ebay, amazon, or craigslist.

wonshikee

Nov 11, 2011
I would rather get a Galaxy S 4G in good condition for that much $$...

Triumph is probably the best bang for buck as far as the spec/features you get. Only thing is they skimped on the hardware quality, so it's a crap shoot whether it'll be a lemon or not.

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I may be the only one, but I'm going to stick with Virgin because of their awesome customer service. Yes, you may have to speak to several thickly accented indians before you are speaking to the right person, but once you are, they are really helpful usually. My old triumph broke (think it was overheating, but not sure; bought it used), and after telling them it wouldn't turn on, they agreed to send me a refurb. After waiting 5 days to get the refurb (they told me they would overnight it), I got a month of service for free. Not sure how good T-Mobile is.

Also, the plan is much MUCH better on Virgin. I can go over 300 minutes a month without being forced to permanently change plans. The $30/month gives you 100 minutes and unless you change plans to a much more expensive plan, you cannot get more. And if you change to the more expensive plan, you are not allowed to revert to the $30/month plan unless you buy a new SIM card. Pretty ridiculous.

gary93

Sep 13, 2008
I'm kinda confuse too. I have my triumph since September, paying $25 a month and can't really complain. But Most of the time when I'm home, people keep saying that they can't call me even my phone is on.
I also having a TM samsung vibrant right now that is not in use. I am thinking about going for that $30 plan and have better services. ( If it announced before I bought my triumph I may not be here lol )

xxBrun0xx

Jan 1, 2012
CT
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I'm kinda confuse too. I have my triumph since September, paying $25 a month and can't really complain. But Most of the time when I'm home, people keep saying that they can't call me even my phone is on.
I also having a TM samsung vibrant right now that is not in use. I am thinking about going for that $30 plan and have better services. ( If it announced before I bought my triumph I may not be here lol )

Just so you're aware, being on Tmobile will not give you better service (necessarily). Your signal depends on where you live. For example, where I currently am, Tmobile has no signal, but Sprint/VM has an awesome signal. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Sprint has a larger network than Tmobile. Can anyone else verify?

marc12868

Feb 12, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
Just so you're aware, being on Tmobile will not give you better service (necessarily). Your signal depends on where you live. For example, where I currently am, Tmobile has no signal, but Sprint/VM has an awesome signal. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Sprint has a larger network than Tmobile. Can anyone else verify?

well T-MO is the smallest of the 4 networks so I would assume that would mean they have a smaller network. Although where I am I get a almost perfect signal with T-MO and got hardly any signal with VM. The best thing that you could do would be to check coverage maps... (although the VM map for my area says I'm in a good signal area...)

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
Just a thought but does anyone else really feel that in this day and age with TuneIn and numerous other internet radio apps that having an fm tuner in your phone is a major plus selling point. With modern technology almost seems to be a solution to a non-existent problem, Oh well just my thought for the day, Clint