Data restore problem using Sony PC Companion

Search This thread

myzest

Account currently disabled
Oct 6, 2007
GB
meettomy.site
I am using Sony xperia S without any major problem.
But facing little problem after reset to factory settings or firmware repaired by P C companion . I back up my contacts,messages, Bookmarks and Settings using P C Companion There was no error or problems during the backup process.
After updating firmware When I tried to restore my data. It always shows that 'data restore failed'.

PC Companion has stored a ".dbk" file on my PC. But PC companion failed to restore my data to my SXS. I used both Windows 7 and XP but failed to get back my data.
Sony also aware this problem see this link-
http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/35170

If anyone also facing this problem please share your experiences in this thread.

Colinn789

Feb 25, 2010
Barcelona
That happened to me too...
I tried everything and there is no solution...can't find any help on internet...sony support is useless in this matter...they don't even know why this happens!
Hope some solution comes out soon cause I lost a lot of important stuff like meeting, SMS, contacts...

1st yellow tint...then yellow white, micro and ear sound issues, now this...thanks a lot Sony...you are really doing it right ;)

PS - I'm using this app now for backing-up and restore:

http://www.elita-clan.com/downloads/...re_v010935.apk

It is very easy to use and it works fine on my XPS :)

Last edited:

Johannski

Apr 23, 2013
www.johannesdeml.com
Solution

Hey there!

I had the same problem (just wanted to retrieve my Contacts) and managed to get them. In the following I will explain how. This method probably works with backups from other mobiles made with Sony PC Companion too.

I got the same problem (also only fullbackupdata), after rooting my mobile and not thinking of the problem, that it might not be able to restore the contacts.

Here's what I found out: I couldn't find anything with Google, so I decided to just look at the data of the file. It starts with:
ANDROID BACKUP
none

I did some Googeling again and found out, that it is the same file like an ICs created adb backup.
I also found a project to retrieve Data from backups: ht tp s: //github.c om/nelenkov/android-backup-extractor

HOW YOU CAN RESTORE YOUR DATA:

Get your Fullbackupdata-Contactfile.
1. First go to your backupfile: (C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Sony\Sony PC Companion\SomeNameDependsOnLanguage\
2. Make a Copy of your backup-File (crtl+c, crtl+v)
3. We want to change the file extension, so make sure you see it. If you don't see a .dbk at the end of your file, go in the explorer window in the left upper corner on organise -> Folder and search options. Change to view and then deselect "Hide extensions for known File types"
ht tp://kb.winzip.com/kb_upload/image/folder_options2.png
4. Rename (F2) the file to backup.zip
5. Open the zip with 7zip or something similar.
6. Navigate to Applications\com.sonyericsson.android.contactsimport and get the fullbackupdata file which is lying in this folder.
7. Put this file on your Desktop.
8.Download this jar-File: ht tp: //ge.t t/64TJmne/v/0?c
9. Put the .jarFile also on your desktop.
10. Doubleclick the .jar-File. After a few seconds a new file with the name "restore.tar" should show up (If not check if your fullbackupdata-File really has the name "fullbackupdata" and is on the desktop)
11. Open the .tarfile with 7Zip
12. Navigate to restore.tar\apps\com.sonyericsson.android.contactsimport\f\
13. Copy full_backup_vcard.vcf to the Desktop.

If everything worked you're finished, you can open this .vcf File via Windows-contacts -> import or put it directly on your phone and import it there (open Contacts. Settingsbutton -> impot)

If you don't trust my .jar file, you can also download the github-project follow their orders and compile it yourself.

I hope this helped also other people. It took me quite a while, so I thought I should share my solution.

Greetings Johannski

Ps: Sorry for the spaces in the links, I'm not allowed to post any

jain.saheel

May 31, 2013
not getting the .vcf file

Hey there!

I had the same problem (just wanted to retrieve my Contacts) and managed to get them. In the following I will explain how. This method probably works with backups from other mobiles made with Sony PC Companion too.

I got the same problem (also only fullbackupdata), after rooting my mobile and not thinking of the problem, that it might not be able to restore the contacts.

Here's what I found out: I couldn't find anything with Google, so I decided to just look at the data of the file. It starts with:
ANDROID BACKUP
none

I did some Googeling again and found out, that it is the same file like an ICs created adb backup.
I also found a project to retrieve Data from backups: ht tp s: //github.c om/nelenkov/android-backup-extractor

1. First go to your backupfile: (C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Sony\Sony PC Companion\SomeNameDependsOnLanguage\
3. We want to change the file extension, so make sure you see it. If you don't see a .dbk at the end of your file, go in the explorer window in the left upper corner on organise -> Folder and search options. Change to view and then deselect "Hide extensions for known File types"
6. Navigate to Applications\com.sonyericsson.android.contactsimport and get the fullbackupdata file which is lying in this folder.
10. Doubleclick the .jar-File. After a few seconds a new file with the name "restore.tar" should show up (If not check if your fullbackupdata-File really has the name "fullbackupdata" and is on the desktop)

If everything worked you're finished, you can open this .vcf File via Windows-contacts -> import or put it directly on your phone and import it there (open Contacts. Settingsbutton -> impot)

If you don't trust my .jar file, you can also download the github-project follow their orders and compile it yourself.

I hope this helped also other people. It took me quite a while, so I thought I should share my solution.

Greetings Johannski

hey i followed the steps..bt at step 12 i'm not getting the .vcf file..instead i'm getting a "_manifest" file..help please..

Johannski

Apr 23, 2013
www.johannesdeml.com
Sorry my answer comes just now, I'm not checking this forum very often.
@jain.saheel:
hey i followed the steps..bt at step 12 i'm not getting the .vcf file..instead i'm getting a "_manifest" file..help please..

Hm seems like you have an other phone configuration than me...
I tested it with Sony Xperia Go with android Version 4.0.4.
Try googeling in which directory your Contacts are stored, than open with my jar file this file and you should be good to go.
If you don't find anything, you can also write your model and I try to find a solution... best you email me, I'm not sure when I will get o this forum (send (at) johannesdeml.com)
@stricler:
Do you have Java istalled? Are both files in the same directory (my .jar-File and your fullbackupdata file (which also has this name))?

If you can't manage to do it, you could also send me your file if you want to ( send (at) johannesdeml.com).

My jar File should still work, got a lot of positive feedback here: talk.sonymobile .com/thread/51298?start=10&tstart=0

Reactions: Reemi

Atilas123

Jul 3, 2013
com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook folder

=================
I find android "Xperia go" 4.1.2 backup contacts in com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook folder :good:, after restoreData.jar unzip and open full_backup_vcard.vcf with excel

Last edited:

mry_mry

Nov 16, 2013
Tehran
I had the same problem, here's the solution:
in step 6 instead of navigating to Applications\com.sonyericsson.android.contactsimport you should go to Application\com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook and get the fullbackupdata file from there.

rajattrt

Aug 18, 2014
Pune
Johannski You are Awesome.

Thanks brother for all your help. All my contacts restored...!!
Thank You:angel::angel:

injamuljamil

Oct 25, 2014
i cant get the .tar file. what should i do?

Hey there!

ANDROID BACKUP
none

Greetings Johannski

I cant get the .tar file

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution

Hey there!

ANDROID BACKUP
    none

Greetings Johannski

Sorry my answer comes just now, I'm not checking this forum very often.
    @jain.saheel:

Hm seems like you have an other phone configuration than me...
    I tested it with Sony Xperia Go with android Version 4.0.4.
    Try googeling in which directory your Contacts are stored, than open with my jar file this file and you should be good to go.
    If you don't find anything, you can also write your model and I try to find a solution... best you email me, I'm not sure when I will get o this forum (send (at) johannesdeml.com)
    @stricler:
    Do you have Java istalled? Are both files in the same directory (my .jar-File and your fullbackupdata file (which also has this name))?

If you can't manage to do it, you could also send me your file if you want to ( send (at) johannesdeml.com).

My jar File should still work, got a lot of positive feedback here: talk.sonymobile .com/thread/51298?start=10&tstart=0
    com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook folder

=================
    I find android "Xperia go" 4.1.2 backup contacts in com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook folder :good:, after restoreData.jar unzip and open full_backup_vcard.vcf with excel
    I had the same problem, here's the solution:
    in step 6 instead of navigating to Applications\com.sonyericsson.android.contactsimport you should go to Application\com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook and get the fullbackupdata file from there.