Fast-charging/USB-charging with micro-USB

Search This thread

Donald24

Aug 30, 2007
Friedrichshafen
Does somebody know yet if this device needs pin4 and pin5 connected (ground) for fast-charging on micro-usb?
On my kaiser I needed to connect these two to be able to charge in my car with my standard USB-charger.
To keep this charger as a universal charger (hope its 2 Amperes won't fry my HD2), I need to buy new cables or a mini-usb to micro-usb adapter and might need to modify them.
I noticed that the battery on my kaiser was getting fairly hot on this 2amps. Is there a protecting circuit, or is this in a safe range for those batteries?

20mihalko

Aug 7, 2008
Bratislava
amperes of you charger are max current, wchich you cat have from the charger... it is all about, how much leo will take :) it is about voltage...

and sorry, no idea about this connectivity... if you will tell me, how to check this, i will check it for you... :)

Donald24

Aug 30, 2007
Friedrichshafen
So, if I understood correctly, the device determines how much Amps to be drawn?

If you take the wall-charger and you look onto the micro-usb plug:

Code:

For a Kaiser device to fastcharge , pin 5 and 4 must be connected together.

On normal USB-cables (micro and mini) for data, pin4 has no function, it isn't even wired in the cable.

Do you have a volt-meter to check this?

Thanks!

sayborg

Dec 10, 2004
brussels
USB A male to micro USB A male cable versus USB B cable?

Hello guys,

I bought my HD2 yesterday ! I am very happy with it.

I would like to buy 2 more cables on ebay (1 for the office, 1 for home).

Should I buy the

- USB A male to micro USB A male cable

OR

- USB A male to micro USB B male cable

I am a bit confused here.

I see 2 types of cables on ebay, not sure which one to buy!

Any ideas?
Thanks

Donald24

Aug 30, 2007
Friedrichshafen
If my assumptions are correct, and the cables work like on the Kaiser device, it's:

- USB A male to micro USB A male cable (for fast-charging, works with generic-usb car charger - NO data connection)
edit: WRONG, because micro-A-plug is not compatible with micro-B-socket.

- USB A male to micro USB B male cable (for data-connection and slow USB-charging)

Still needs confirmation by an HD2-user, but I don't think HTC changed something going from mini to micro-plug. (I think they dropped EXT-usb design for having an extra 3,5mm headset-jack instead. - but that shouldn't confuse you)

Last edited:

turt

Mar 30, 2006
Well, not exactly:
Type A is to be plugged into host-device (the one supplying power to the other device, usually the charger or your computer), whereas type B is to be plugged into the target device (in this case, the HD2).

This typology exists to prevent you from linking two power suppliers at both ends of the cable...

So what you need is a "USB Type A to Micro USB Type B" cable :)

Donald24

Aug 30, 2007
Friedrichshafen
That's the original USB-specs, you are referring to.

Mini/micro-A-plugs are using pin4-to-ground by these USB-spec, for electronically differenciating these.

What I wanted to pinpoint, is that HTC decided to mark pin4-to-ground for detection of their charging equipment.

And since micro-A plugs fit into micro-B sockets, you should be able to use a "USB A male to micro USB A male cable" for your charging needs (without modifying your micro-B cable, which can be quite tricky because of its size)
edit: I was wrong with that, it's the other way round, sry. Does the HD2 have a AB-socket then? I believe it's a regular B-socket.

Then if I stand correctly, you will still need a special modified micro-B-cable for charging.

To make it even more difficult, HTC-design does not charge the Kaiser with a regular mini-b-cable on a car-charger, because there was no data-signal on it.

My intention of this thread was asking, if this behavior has changed when going from mini to micro-usb design, and is still an unanswered question.

Last edited:

dfulgo

Feb 8, 2008
Italy
Hello guys,

I would like to buy 2 more cables on ebay (1 for the office, 1 for home).

Should I buy the

OR

I am a bit confused here.

I see 2 types of cables on ebay, not sure which one to buy!

Any ideas?
Thanks

...same for me. may I have a clear and "safe" answer for dummie?

OR

Thanks a lot.

Donald24

Aug 30, 2007
Friedrichshafen
only USB-B-male fit into the device, boy!

Well, I've seen unboxing videos now, and the wall-charger ... is a normal-USB-plug-in device like a car-charger. Seems that my intention of this thread is obsolete.