Zune Player and Android??

Search This thread

Viper714

Feb 12, 2009
Hello fellow XDA members,

I may be asking a question that was asked before but could not really find a answer. I have a Zune and use the Zune software to transfer my music to the Zune easily.

So here is the question:

Is there any way to allow my Captivate or any Android phone to connect to the Zune software on the PC and transfer and delete music on the Android device????

Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

Zanterack

May 14, 2008
I'm not really sure if there are any workarounds to get your device working with the Zune software.

However, if you are only concerned with DRM music (like the stuff you would get using the Zune pass), then windows media player would do the trick for you. Just open it up and go to the sync tab at the far right.

Viper714

Feb 12, 2009
I never thought much about the DRM side of it since most of my music are on CD's and I ripped the music. :confused:

I was looking more towards the functionality of the Zune Software with an Android device. I have been using the Zune software for a few years now and really like it. All my albums and covers have been nicely organized and would really hate to start all over again. With the hope the Microsoft is not as restricted as Apple and their iTunes software, using the Zune software would be awesome. :D

I still have my Zune 30 and worse case scenario I will continue using it. I was hoping to eliminate one device. :(

staySICK

Jul 26, 2010
Kansas
so basically something like doubletwist geared towards zune? that'd be interesting..

i've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never consolidate my devices.

digital camera for special events, captivate phone, gps unit for unknown territory, zune 120 for everyday use.

Viper714

Feb 12, 2009
I agree to that to a point. When it comes to specialized hardware our phones in no way compete. But with memory coming down in price and increasing in size there should not be a reason why this couldn't happen. Microsoft has leveraged this ability in their new Windows phones. One day it may happen but I think that may be years away. In the meantime, the music player ability is already converging into our phones, however limited. Utilizing the Zune Software with Android would be awesome. If Windows Media Player can do it why not the Zune Software??

I remember back years ago when I had a Palm PDA and a phone. Then convergence devices started coming out. I said I would never change over to a convergence device because if I loose it I end up loosing both. Well PDA's are of the past and they have converged into our everyday phones.

Interesting how technology changes our minds and daily decisions....

Last edited:

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Zune music uses a different type of DRM that's not supported by WMP. Zune DRM is only supported by Zune player and Windows Phone 7.

But I do agree that we should have something that can sync Zune with Android phones (DRM issue aside). Microsoft will not support this for obvious reasons. I've tried WMP sync but results are less than stable and it will convert all video into WMV because Captivate MTP app only reports support of WMV.

Last edited:

emuneee

Mar 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
www.emuneee.com
This is an easy issue to overcome (besides the DRM protected content). I had a Zune HD before I had my Captivate, so I have the Zune software syncing podcast (audio and video), managing music, etc. I have it place all the content in the same libaries managed by Windows Media Player (Windows 7) so it shows up there too. Then I just sync my Captivate using WMP. Works very well, but like I said, not for DRM content.

wbales

Jun 22, 2010

Viper714

Feb 12, 2009
I would LOVE to have Zune Pass on my Android Phone.

and FYI the Zune DRM will work on my Sandisk Fuze, I've used it for the past two years...........so does this help with getting it on Android? please.... :D

"On the audio side, the Fuze offers support for MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, WAV, Audible, and Overdrive."

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sandisk-sansa-fuze-2gb/4505-6490_7-32896584.html#ixzz1DGEtYERy

This is a great point.

PLEASE, PLEASE someone make this for Android!!!!

wbales

Jun 22, 2010
For the Sansa I had to go into the system settings on the main menu and go to USB Mode.

There are two choices...

MTP and MSC

MTP is what lets me download Zune Music........MSC does not

hope that will help...