[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?

• Total voters
Search This thread

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
hey guys! I see that your really busy making progress on your softwareand thats awesome!:good: I posted a while back, just to see how sick my kindle was...

point99trash2011

Jun 3, 2012
point99trash2011,

Yes, this is an odd one but I figured if your Kindle could do it, our Kindles should do it. I played for about 1 1/2 hour, trying ROM Toolbox, then a wide array of Fastboot commands, then finally wham, we nailed it! So we just added the code to our software.

Thank you VERY much, if you did not make the comment we would have not dug as deep as we did today. The hard efforts paid off.

This is a real blessing and has taken our software to the next level.

Take care and have a great night!

Glad to have been the cause of inspiration. I also tested my ability to reboot into it via adb, as well as directly via a terminal window. Both operated the same. So what was the "magic item" that suddenly allowed these things to boot into fastboot without anything attached? Cause literally the only thing I have changed other than root, playstore and launcher is busybox.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Random Username

Jan 7, 2013
Random Username,

The hidden driver is your problem. Windows hides driver when they are not activated, so for some reason your PC is not detecting the Kindle correctly. As you know, the Android ADB Interface is key to ADB Communicating to the Kindle through Windows.

We have to ask, are you 100% sure ADB Is ON in the Kindle interface More + > Security Enable ADB ON

When you installed the driver were there any errors? Try REMOVING the current driver by Unplugging the Kindle, show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager. Remove ALL Kindle drivers found, be sure to check the box "Remove from Computer". Then reboot the PC, plug the Kindle into USB, see if you indeed removed the drivers. The Kindle should show two Yellow Triangles when the driver is removed completely. If all looks good and the drivers are wiped, then install this driver: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/KFHDUSB.zip

There is an executable inside that folder, try that driver. VERY important, before you install the driver do:

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then reboot your PC and install the driver. After you install the driver, please reboot the PC again, then after reboot, plug the Kindle into USB. Check the Windows Device Manager, are the driver available now?

I removed the drivers, rebooted, but didn't install your driver. It automatically installed a driver when I connected my Kindle and it works now :)

So, how do I revert these bcdedit settings?

BTW, I just noticed that my Amazon GameCircle name is LuxuriantNimbleHelp :p Know anything about that?

Last edited:

AmrBanawan

Nov 26, 2012
Alexandria
@prokennexus

I tried to run option 12 "backup the kindle to the sd card"

and i got the following output

We Are Now Starting The ADB Server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
D025A0A024320AXL device

We Are Now Executing The Backup, Please Wait......

Please Ignore Any Errors Above This Line
I Am Backing Up Partition 1 (xloader)
I Am Backing Up Partition 2 (bootloader)
I Am Backing Up Partition 3 (idme)
I Am Backing Up Partition 4 (crypto)
I Am Backing Up Partition 5 (misc)
I Am Backing Up Partition 6 (dkernel)
I Am Backing Up Partition 7 (dfs)
I Am Backing Up Partition 8 (efs)
I Am Backing Up Partition 9 (recovery)
I Am Backing Up Partition 10 (boot)
I Am Backing Up Partition 11 (system)
We Are Now Modify Ownership/Permissions Of All Archives

Backup complete! Please Copy The KindleBackup
Folder From The SD Card To Your Desktop. Do
It Before You Have A Problem With The Kindle

Press any key to continue . . .

But there is no backup on my kindle's sdcard

and when i try to run option 15 i get

the system cannot find the path specified

what am i missing?!

Last edited:

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
Thanks a lot for taking time to answer my questions.
We do not mind answering the question "what is it you do with all those Kindles, and what is the ultimate goal of your development efforts?"

Let's first answer the question about the Kindle. We love the Kindle, it is a solid TI platform developed around a fast processor and GPU. It takes a little work but after you install a lightweight Launcher, Browser, Video Player, Music Player, audio upgrades, video upgrades and Gapps the Kindle becomes one of the best Multi-media platforms available for the money. The screen has resolution that is very close to the expensive iPad, it is one of the few tablets that support Dolby Surround natively. It is by far the best sounding tablet, it sounds much better than the Nexus 10! And the Nexus 10 is about $400 more. As mentioned the other day, we are posting a nice How to for the Kindle, the focus will be how to make the Kindle Fast and competitive with the Nexus and Transformer platforms.
Actually, Nexus 10 is only $100-150 more. I'm still considering returning Kindle and getting N10 because of unrestricted JB, built in GPS and other sensors and dual cameras. I like solid build quality, slick form factor and price of Kindle 8.9, but it's performance has been questionable so far. Google Maps are jerkier than on iPad1, many apps are difficult to load, not possible to install a new keyboard, replace or completely disable the lock screen. Every time when an app crashes, I keep asking myself if Amazon's Android implementation is to blame for that.

Finally what is our goal with the software. Sort term the goal is to have a package that allows quick Kindle backup and recovery, we have met that goal. The long term goal is to have a package that is complete, allowing you to install software like Gapps in less than 60 seconds - that currently takes a person 30 minutes to 1 hour. The package will edit the upper and lower status bars, install simple performance tweaks, it will have over 100 packages available to install on the Kindle with one Click. The software we will focus on is the ones that have to be side loaded into /system/app - the software will Root the Kindle with one click, it will unroot the Kindle in one click.

So that is the short version, the feature list is currently over 100 items long, so we have hundreds of hours of development left. If you have a feature you would like us to integrate, please let us know, we will add it to the software manifest.
Your work is another reason to keep my Kindle!

Reactions: point99trash2011

STKD

Jul 15, 2010
Random Username,

The hidden driver is your problem. Windows hides driver when they are not activated, so for some reason your PC is not detecting the Kindle correctly. As you know, the Android ADB Interface is key to ADB Communicating to the Kindle through Windows.

We have to ask, are you 100% sure ADB Is ON in the Kindle interface More + > Security Enable ADB ON

When you installed the driver were there any errors? Try REMOVING the current driver by Unplugging the Kindle, show hidden devices in Windows Device Manager. Remove ALL Kindle drivers found, be sure to check the box "Remove from Computer". Then reboot the PC, plug the Kindle into USB, see if you indeed removed the drivers. The Kindle should show two Yellow Triangles when the driver is removed completely. If all looks good and the drivers are wiped, then install this driver: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/KFHDUSB.zip

There is an executable inside that folder, try that driver. VERY important, before you install the driver do:

Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then reboot your PC and install the driver. After you install the driver, please reboot the PC again, then after reboot, plug the Kindle into USB. Check the Windows Device Manager, are the driver available now?

I just want to say that after literally about four hours (plus more last night) of trying to get the KFHD7 to back up the partitions via option 15, this post has been the ONLY thing that correctly got it working under Windows 8 for me. I have tried so many driver combinations, my factory cable (which I was convinced was simply a dud from ebay), my regular cable (which eventually is what worked!), and can only think this hidden device or this particular driver download is what fixed it.

I recommend no matter how well you think you've been doing it that anyone having continuing issues do exactly as was said there. I eventually got a popup on the KFHD7 asking for adb/root permission that I had never gotten before, and it immediately started to back up after granting access.

THANK YOU! I can at least now proceed to seeing where I screw things up. ;)

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

hey guys! I see that your really busy making progress on your softwareand thats awesome!:good: I posted a while back, just to see how sick my kindle was...

lacoursiere18,

Your Kindle is in real bad shape, we had attempted several methods of recovery all failed, so we are now waiting for the Factory USB Cables to arrive so we can perform a restore (we ran out of stock). We are on track to be able to get this out before the end of the week.

We will send you a PM when we have shipped the Kindle back to you.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

Glad to have been the cause of inspiration. I also tested my ability to reboot into it via adb, as well as directly via a terminal window. Both operated the same. So what was the "magic item" that suddenly allowed these things to boot into fastboot without anything attached? Cause literally the only thing I have changed other than root, playstore and launcher is busybox.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

point99trash2011,

You nailed it. If we sent a regular ADB Command to the Kindle, it would reboot but it would only reboot in regular mode, so we kept trying different scenarios. The one that finally worked was sending a superuser command to the Kindle asking it to reboot in recovery mode and bamm it worked.

The part that is a bit perplexing is we have tried this command several times in the past without success so why it works today is unknown. This is one of those situations we do not ask why, we are just happy it works.

Thanks again.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

I removed the drivers, rebooted, but didn't install your driver. It automatically installed a driver when I connected my Kindle and it works now :)

So, how do I revert these bcdedit settings?

BTW, I just noticed that my Amazon GameCircle name is LuxuriantNimbleHelp :p Know anything about that?

Random Username,

Excellent work Random Username, we knew you would be able to get the job done. Can you clarify your question about Amazon GameCircle? Does the Amazon GameCircle name match your Amazon login name?

Since you are done installing the Kindle ADB Driver, you can issue the following command to return Windows 8 to a normal state:
Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Last edited:

Random Username

Jan 7, 2013
Random Username,

Excellent work Random Username, we knew you would be able to get the job done. Can you clarify your question about Amazon GameCircle? Does the Amazon GameCircle name match your Amazon login name?

Of course it doesn't match :p I think the GameCircle profile is simply a local account, I can't find another way to explain that.

I can't thank you enough, but there is still something I would like to know: Is it possible to change the lockscreen backgrounds and the UI font?

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide - MAJOR UPDATE 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm Rev 4.2.17

AmrBanawan,

I am sorry, found a minor mistake in the code, I guess working until 3:30am can trigger mistakes. Since you downloaded the entire package recently, please just replace the RunMe.bat file from this package: RunMe.zip

Please unzip RunMe.zip as RunMe.bat and move RunMe.bat to the C:\KFFirstAide folder, answer "OK to Overwrite" when asked. Then verify the date of the RunMe.bat, it should be 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm

Just in case someone has not downloaded the entire package, please download the 32-bit version here:KFFirstAide32.zip

You can download the 64-bit version here: KFFirstAide64.zip - Unzip the package to C:\KFFirstAide then verify the date of the RunMe.bat - it should be 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm this is Rev 4.2.17

If you have not updated Java recently be sure to update Java from here: Java SE Development Kit 7u13

Finally regarding the inability to find the Kindlefirebackup folder, please use Google Play Store download and install WiFi File Transfer, use a Browser to download the backup files. This is a Known bug in Windows.

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide - MAJOR UPDATE 4.2.17 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer my questions.

Actually, Nexus 10 is only $100-150 more. I'm still considering returning Kindle and getting N10 because of unrestricted JB, built in GPS and other sensors and dual cameras. I like solid build quality, slick form factor and price of Kindle 8.9, but it's performance has been questionable so far. Google Maps are jerkier than on iPad1, many apps are difficult to load, not possible to install a new keyboard, replace or completely disable the lock screen. Every time when an app crashes, I keep asking myself if Amazon's Android implementation is to blame for that.

Your work is another reason to keep my Kindle!

stopeject,

When we first bought the Nexus 10, back in December 2012 they were hard to get, everyone was selling them for $675-800 since Google Play Store was out of Stock - only a few had them in stock. You are correct, it is now about $100-150 more but when compairing the Nexus 10 to the Kindle 8.9" as a multimedia platform, the Kindle wins, as a developer platform the Nexus wins.

Yes, apps crashing is in part due to Amazon's version of ICS. Still, if we were given the choise today, we would still select the Kindle 8.9" over the Nexus 10 - by the way, we do own both tablets.

Hey, while we are sending this to you, we wanted to make sure you download the latest version of our software:

This is the 32-bit Optimized Package: KFFirstAide32.zip

This is the 64-bit Optimized Package: KFFirstAide64.zip

This is the RunMe.bat file which is Universal 32-bit or 64-bit: RunMe.zip

When you unzip the selected package, be sure to Unzip it to C:\KFFirstAide and check your Environment Variable.

Reactions: stopeject

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide - MAJOR UPDATE Rev 4.2.17 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm

I just want to say that after literally about four hours (plus more last night) of trying to get the KFHD7 to back up the partitions via option 15, this post has been the ONLY thing that correctly got it working under Windows 8 for me. I have tried so many driver combinations, my factory cable (which I was convinced was simply a dud from ebay), my regular cable (which eventually is what worked!), and can only think this hidden device or this particular driver download is what fixed it.

I recommend no matter how well you think you've been doing it that anyone having continuing issues do exactly as was said there. I eventually got a popup on the KFHD7 asking for adb/root permission that I had never gotten before, and it immediately started to back up after granting access.

THANK YOU! I can at least now proceed to seeing where I screw things up. ;)

STKD,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback.

We just released a major update as of 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm Rev 4.2.17

Since you downloaded the entire package recently, please just replace the RunMe.bat file from this package: RunMe.zip

Please unzip RunMe.zip as RunMe.bat and move RunMe.bat to the C:\KFFirstAide folder, answer "OK to Overwrite" when asked. Then verify the date of the RunMe.bat, it should be 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm

Just in case someone has not downloaded the entire package, please download the 32-bit version here:KFFirstAide32.zip

You can download the 64-bit version here: KFFirstAide64.zip - Unzip the package to C:\KFFirstAide then verify the date of the RunMe.bat - it should be 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm this is Rev 4.2.17

If you have not updated Java recently be sure to update Java from here: Java SE Development Kit 7u13

Finally regarding the inability to find the Kindlefirebackup folder, please use Google Play Store download and install WiFi File Transfer, use a Browser to download the backup files. This is a Known bug in Windows.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide - MAJOR UPDATE 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm

Of course it doesn't match :p I think the GameCircle profile is simply a local account, I can't find another way to explain that.

I can't thank you enough, but there is still something I would like to know: Is it possible to change the lockscreen backgrounds and the UI font?

Random Username,

You know, we do not know a thing about Amazon GameCircle, so that being said, we did not even know the naming method.

Yes, we have a Lockscreen tutorial that will allow you to change just about every aspect of the project. We are adding this into our software, this will be available tomorrow. The Font change will be available in the next week.

Since you downloaded the entire package recently, please just replace the RunMe.bat file from this package: RunMe.zip

Reactions: Random Username

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide - MAJOR UPDATE Rev 4.2.17 02/13/2013 at 12:05pm

lacoursiere18,

We are fixing your Kindle now. What do you want pre-installed? We will install Google Play Store, Root Explorer and Root, what else would you like installed?

Just so you are ready to roll, please download and setup our latest software:

The RunMe.bat file from this package: RunMe.zip

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
lacoursiere18,

We are fixing your Kindle now. What do you want pre-installed? We will install Google Play Store, Root Explorer and Root, what else would you like installed?

Just so you are ready to roll, please download and setup our latest software:

The RunMe.bat file from this package: RunMe.zip

pro, please, see my post of my latest backup, before my kindle died, please

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

lacoursiere18,

Brain, when you have time can you let me know what you did to your Kindle? This baby is so sick it can not be detected by Fastboot and we are using Linux, so everything is native to Linux unlike Windows where you have to add drivers.

We can boot the device into Fastboot but we can not see the device, we have tried every option, 4 different cables, still nothing. Looks like we are getting you a new one, we will trigger the new unit to ship today. You will receive a brand new Kindle from Amazon, we will take care of shipping back the old Kindle and finally, we will drop ship you a Factory USB Cable with a CD ROM which will have a set of clean images so if you ever have a problem in the future, no issues.

Please respond to our PM so we can trigger a new unit.

Slimepuppy

Jan 6, 2013
San Antonio
Slimepuppy,

Does the Kindle reboot and look unusual before it tries to install the files? Something is weird since we tested it here, it worked perfectly, so I am perplexed.

Please let me know if the Kindle is rebooting and looking odd during the install.
Yes, the Kindle booted into the 'broken n mode' before the PC tried to push the Google files, and then booted back to normal after.

Download the new Kindle Fire First Aide Complete Package 32-bit here: KFFirstAide32.zip

Download the new Kindle Fire First Aide Complete Package 32-bit here: KFFirstAide64.zip

When you install the update, check the date and time of the RunMe.bat, it should be 02/13/2013 at 1:30am.

Also please make sure you are running the latest version of Java here: Java SE Development Kit 7u13
While I'm pretty sure I've got the latest Java installed, I'm also concentrating on (former) option 16 (new Option 18) which doesn't appear to use any Java.

Now we need to come up with a reasonable explanation to why the software works in our Office and you are having issues. I know you are using 64-bit and we are using 32-bit, heck, just for fun try the 32-bit version on your PC. You will see we have a wide array of options, they are growing! I do not want to change the code since the code should be working. We have to figure out what is different in your setup vs our setup.

Let's go through this methodically - we spent hours debugging the code, then we ran it through a Visualization terminal, which executes the code and debugs the code as it is executing the code. The code passed with Zero errors. I ran tests on the following platforms:

1. Windows 95
2. Windows 98
3. Windows XP Pro 32-bit
4. Windows XP Pro 64-bit
5. Windows Vista 32-bit
6. Windows 8 Pro 32-bit
7. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
I'll download a fresh copy of both the 64 bit and 32 bit software and run option 16 from both Windows 7 environments. I've been re-flashing a clean copy of 8.1.4 into the Kindle and will do that again.

- I've got a fresh copy of both versions of the utility now. I see from ExamDiff that both RunMe.bat files are the same today - and you have added more features and reworked the comments - nice!

On the Kindle HD 8.9, I'm starting with a fresh installation of 8.1.4. It's rooted and has SuperSU installed but no other mods. I'll concentrate only on adding the Google Play Store.

On the PC, I've deleted the old KFF software and have copied the fresh 64-bit utility into the c:/KFFirstAide directory. I'll run RunME.bat from within an elevated/admin command shell.

The Kindle is back from the re-flash and I've cancelled the registration and set-up process. ADB on, installation of software from unknown sources on, battery is at 98%.

Option 18: Install Google Play Store

sh: cannot create nul: Read-only file system
Reboot into 'broken-n' mode (qemu exploit)

Attempted to push files - failed - double slashes and Read-only file system

Process says to create account on Android Store. There is no Android Store or any other new software on the Kindle.

Upgrading the (non-existent) store -
sh: cannot create nul: Read-only file system

Kindle rebooted into 'broken n' mode (qemu=1 exploit in progress)
I'm unable to unlock screen; system reboots

After reboot, back in 'broken n' exploit screen. Batch file says we're complete - kindle reboots normally.

Google Play Store app is on device. Attempting to run app results in immediate app crash.
---

I've just done an adb install of ES File Explorer - let's look around:

- The five apps are not in /system/app
- com.android.vending-1.apk is in /data/app
- there are no files in /data/local/tmp, and the tmp folder is the only content in /data/local

-------------------------
Let's run Option 14 - Disable OTA

Successful run, no errors, normal reboot.

-------------------------
Option 17 - Local Kindle Backup

Successful run, no errors, normal reboot, three backup images in c:/KFFirstAide/Backup folder

Switching to Windows 7/32 and reflashing the Kindle...back in a minute or three...

Ok, Windows 7 32 running, Java updated, environment (path) adjusted, KFFirstAide in c:\KFFirstAide
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 freshly re-flashed into same copy of 8.1.4 used last time - with root and SuperSU only. ADB and external software enabled.

Let's test ADB, then defeat OTA (Option 14) then install Google Play Store.
---------

Option 11 - Test ADB
Failed... though I can explore to the Kindle's SDCard folder, I don't yet have ADB/Fastboot drivers.

Option 12 - Install ADB driver
Success - Kindle appears in Device Manager as "Android Composite ADB Interface"

Option 11 - Test ADB
Success

Option 14 - Disable OTA Updates
Successful run, normal reboot

Option 18 - Google Play Store
- Batch file did not wait for ADB connection, but device did reboot into 'broken n' qemu exploit mode

- Double slashes in pathnames; failed to copy five .apk files
- RunME.bat instructs me to log-in to Android Store - no new apps on device - cannot comply.

Kindle rebooted into 'broken n' qemu exploit mode

It appears that gplay*.apk package was pushed to the device

Rebooting into 'broken n' exploit mode

RunMe.bat says we're done. Kindle does have Google Play Store icon in apps list. Running the app results in instant app crash.

I've just created a shortcut to RunMe.bat on the desktop and selected run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode. Running the shortcut from the desktop results in a number of command window pop-ups as the batch file runs. The runme.bat runs until the first qemu exploit and then all CMD windows close and the Kindle is left in the "broken n" qemu exploit mode. The machine is very very slow in this mode. I installed ES File Explorer and looked around.
- /data/ is empty - there is no local.prop file
- there are no Google Apps files in /system/app

Sorry Chris - while I can install the Google Store manually on V8.1.3, 8.1.4, and have the store running in these and in CM10.1, I cannot get a successful install using this tool.

Please - someone else give this a shot - I'd like to hear that it's my problem.

Andy

Attachments

• 18_1.jpg
    18_1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 18_2.jpg
    18_2.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 18_3.jpg
    18_3.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 18_4.jpg
    18_4.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 32
  • 18_5.jpg
    18_5.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 30
  • GA32_1.jpg
    GA32_1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 24
  • GA32_2.jpg
    GA32_2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 25
  • GA32_3.jpg
    GA32_3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this Noob series, we will use a software package that will automate the backup, restore and recovery process among many other features - this is a 'Swiss Army Knife' for the Kindle. This tool has been in development for some time now and is still in Beta, although it has been thoroughly tested and can be used safely. This tool is designed to backup, recover and restore the Kindle Fire 2 7", the Kindle Fire HD 7" and the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (HD 8.9" Does Not Require The Factory USB Cable). The download size is less than 14 MB and automates several processes, no command line knowledge required. Please post any bugs to this Thread so we can quickly make changes to the software, then post an update. Most Bugs are solved within 24 hours.

To keep your Kindle safe, we have integrated this feature into our software, You do not need any command line knowledge, just as simple as 1, 2, and 3.

Prerequisites for the Recover Options:
    1. Install The Latest Version Of Java SE: Java SE Development Kit 7u13

If you are uncomfortable with these procedure, please stop and contact us, we specialize in Kindle customization and development. You can ship the Kindle to our office and have us install all the upgrades, then return it to you turn-key. This service is fee based, contact our office for additional information.

SOFTWARE UPDATE (CRITICAL RELEASE) ON 06/30/2013 Version 4.1.100 - PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE PACKAGE IF YOUR VERSION IS DATED PRIOR TO THIS RELEASE DATE.

WARNING! THIS TOOL CAN PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE KINDLE IF IT IS NOT USED PROPERLY. DO NOT FLASH THE
    KINDLE FIRE 2 IMAGE TO A KINDLE FIRE HD OR FLASH A KINDLE FIRE HD 7" TO A KINDLE FIRE 8.9" DEVICE. THIS
    WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE THAT CAN NOT BE REVERSED. ONLY FLASH THE CORRECT MODEL SOFTWARE
    TO YOUR DEVICE.

HOW TO UPGRADE KINDLE FIRE FIRST AIDE:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38435305&postcount=1072

HOW TO CREATE THE WINDOWS PATH: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38409721&postcount=1018

HOW TO FIX THE YELLOW KINDLE TRIANGLE:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38432739&postcount=1062

These are the current features on Version 4.1.100-beta:

• Images are stored securely on our 100TB storage array on a Gigabyte Infrastructure
    • Download is fast - script is fast and lightweight
    • Secure SSL on all images to eliminate image hacking
    • All images are stored behind a firewall with IDS
    • Restores fresh system.img, boot.img and recovery.img
    • Fresh Restore Support the Kindle Fire 2 7"
    • Fresh Restore Support the Kindle Fire HD 7"
    • Fresh Restore Supports the Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
    • Fresh Restore Currently supports software Rev x.2.3
    • ChainsDD Superuser APK and SU Binary Included
    • Automated Backup - Full and Partial Backup
    • Automated Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Disable
    • No Command line Knowledge Required
    • Automated Device Reboot After Restore
    • Pulls Device Information
    • Automated ADB Driver Install
    • Reboot the Kindle into Fastboot Mode
    • Software Support for x.2.4 where applicable
    • Software Support for x.1.5 where applicable
    • Easy Upgrade or Downgrade option
    • Automated Root - Two Versions
    • Automated Google Play Store Installation
    • Automated Google Apps Installation
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache
    • Automated Restoration of the Backup Files
    • Automated Pimp My Beats Install
    • Automated Sony Bravia "Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture" Installation
    • Automated Sony xLoud Installation
    • Automated Pimp My Beats Audio Upgrade Installation
    • Android Fix Permissions Script
    • Automated Disable Amazon Ad Services
    • Make Google Play Store The Default Market
    • Unroot For Amazon Returns
    • Install Apex Launcher
    • Install Holo Launcher
    • Install Boat Browser with Flash Player
    • VPN and SIP VoIP Client Install
    • Automated Permission Fixer
    • Automated Alternative Driver Install
    • Automated Busybox Installer
    • Automated Wallpaper Mod
    • Automated Lock Screen Upgrade
    • Fix Broken Install Script
    • AVIC Alice TTS Upgrade
    • Automated Launcher Install which will includes over 2 Launcher Options
    • Flash Custom Recovery
    • Side-load Zip Files like the latest Google Apps Pack
    • Automated TTS (Text To Speech) Install - AVIC Alice
    • Automated Install, Upgrade and Correct ADB
    • Superuser Upgrade Service
    • Install ChainFire 3D Upgrade

These are the features we will offer soon in 4.2.4 and up:

• Automated APK Install - Single or Multiple APK's
    • Automated Flash support for Titanium Backup Update.zip Files
    • Automatic Update feature so you are always using the latest version
    • Automated Push and Pull files to and from the Kindle to PC
    • Automated build.prop editor
    • Automated Tune Up and Deodex
    • Automated services.jar editor
    • Remote Storage Option for your boot.img recovery.img and system.img Backup Files
    • Information and Help
    • Special Kindle Toolkit, Tips and Tricks
    • Pull the System Logs (LogCat) to help solve problems
    • Dump Bug Reports to your PC
    • Open Command Prompt for Developers or for Manual Input
    • Automated Custom ROM Support
    • Automated TTS Voice Editor
    • Your Choice of Media Player Upgrades
    • 180 DPI Support
    • Automated Keyboard Upgrade with Framework Edits Included
    • Automated Amazon Book Import to Google Books
    • Much more to come......................
    Now let's get to the software itself. The following is step-by-step guide, please DO NOT modify the batch file in any
    way, this took us weeks to perfect, so please respect the code. If you have recommendations, please post them,
    we love to give you the feature that are important to YOU not us.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 1: Using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer Download Kindle Fire First Aide 4.1.100-Beta:
    KFFirstAide.zip

Note: Be sure to extract the package to C:\KFFirstAide

Update Java To The Latest Version here: Java SE Development Kit 7u25

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 2: Using either 7-Zip or Microsoft Zip, unzip the KFFirstAide100.zip to your C:\ Drive as C:\KFFirstAide

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat. Temporary disable the Android SDK.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide

Note: Do Not forget the (;) semi-colon before the C:\KFFirstAide

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to Flash.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 10: Next, go to the Kindle, pull down the status menu, select More+ then select Security, make sure Enable ADB is ON. Last, depress the <- and select Device. Make sure 'Allow Installation of Applications' is On.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 11: Insert the Original USB Cable to the Kindle, please ensure you have a solid connection, this is VERY critical.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 12: Next, make sure the Kindle Fire is Turned Off. Take the other end of the USB Cable and carefully inset it into a free USB Slot on your Computer - be careful to not disconnect the other end.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 13 : The Kindle Fire should automatically turn on and boot regular Bootmode. If the Kindle does not turn on depress the power button until it turns on. Next select Option 15 in the Software. The Kindle will reboot and will now see a screen that says: Fastboot Kindle Fire.

Note: If Option 15 does not trigger the Kindle to boot into Fastboot, then your Bootloader is damaged. Please send SkOrPn a PM to order a Factory USB Cable.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 14: Place the Kindle on a safe surface so it does not disconnect when running the software.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 15: Launch the KF First Aide software by double mouse clicking on the KF First Aide icon.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 16: You will be presented with a Kindle Fire First Aide Menu, carefully select the operations you would like to perform on the Kindle.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 17: If the option states "Fastboot" you need to leave the Kindle as noted above, this is Fastboot Mode. As the last operation be sure to Wipe the Cache and User Data which is Backup Option 3 in the Menu.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 18: Next, we will disable "Fastboot Mode" and enable ADB on the Kindle Fire. Select Option 10 in the Software Menu, the Kindle will Reboot into Regular Mode.

Kindle Fire First Aide Step 19: You may now perform the 'ADB Mode' options in the Menu.

Kindle Fire First Aide Note 1: Remember, after you perform the full Recovery, you are working with a Fresh Copy of the Software. ADB is disabled by default so be sure to Enable ADB under Security and Allow Installation of Programs under the Device Tab.

Kindle Fire First Aide Note 2: After the complete restore, please be sure to clear the Davlik Cache and the User Data by selecting Backup Option #3. You may also wipe the User Data and Cache by opening a Administrative Command Prompt within the KFFirstAide Folder and enter:

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 erase cache
    fastboot -i 0x1949 erase userdata 
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

Kindle Fire First Aide Note 3: The original versions of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with a software Versions 8.2.3 or 8.2.4 may find there Kindle Boot-loader loops to a Red Fastboot Screen. If your Kindle is stuck in Fastboot, please follow these steps to recover the Boot-loader: How To Recover Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Bootloader*

Note: Please be aware of two main options in the Menu - one is Fastboot Mode where you have several Menu Operations that use Fastboot to execute properly and two is ADB Mode where you have several Menu Operations that use ADB to execute properly.

Backup Option #1 Note: When selecting Backup Option 1 the images will be backed up to the SD Card in a folder named KindleBackup. Please copy this folder to your desktop until we are able to upload it to our secure servers. There will be a restore option in the future that will automatically pull YOUR images for restoration. There is a known Bug in Windows where you will not see the images in the Kindle Internal Drive which can be found in Computer. To overcome this issue, please download and install WiFi File Transfer then open your Web Browser to transfer these Backup files from your Kindle to the PC.

Backup Option #2 Note: When selecting Backup Option 2 the images are first copied to the Kindle, then they are transfered to your Computer inside a folder named Backup which can be found inside the C:\KFFirstAide folder.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/dona....php?u=4435645

We would like to thank Mark Skippen for the "Toolkit" idea. Mark is a real master with Samsung products and his profile can be found here: mskip anyone who owns a Samsung or Samsung built (Nexus) product should obtain his Toolkit.

*Note: After several conference calls with the Amazon Development Team we found Amazon applied a patch to the Bootloader in an effort to lock down the Bootloader, this patch rarely causes the Bootloader to stick or Bootloop, please use the above link to release the Bootloader. We have removed this patch from the boot-prod.img eliminating future issues with recovered HD 8.9" users.
    Follow Up - Feedback

You guys rock!

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

Krsmqn,

We thought of you when we were developing this package, It took us over 4 months to perfect. We held back many feature, just wait until we release the Production Version of 4.2.3, it even made us smile:D. As we have said before,
    we are truly honored to be part of the XDA Community and feel blessed to be able to offer this software to XDA Members. This package and version 4.2.3 is fee based elsewhere.
    How To Manually Recover The Kindle Fire 8.9" Stuck In Fastboot?

To All-

If you would like to try a last ditch effort in getting the Kindle Fire 8.9" back online, please do the following:

Step 1: Please run the Kindle Fire First Aide, attempt the HD 8.9" Recovery, if it fails move on to Step 2

Step 2: Exit the Kindle Fire First Aide utility, double mouse click the KFFirstAide Folder.

Step 3: Download Boot Image Number 1 from here (save the image to the KFFirstAide Folder): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/kfhd-8.2.3/Images/boot-prod.img

Step 4: Download Recovery Image Number 2 from here (save the image to the KFFirstAide Folder): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/kfhd-8.2.3/Images/recovery-prod.img

Step 5: Open up an Administrative Command Prompt from within the KFFirstAide Folder by opening up the KFFirstAide Folder then press your Right Hand Mouse Key while you are over the KFFirstAide Folder contents, then select Open a command prompt here. You should see something like

Code:
    C:\Users\Your Name\KFFirstAide>
    Step 6: Next you would make sure the Kindle Fire is plugged into USB and Turned off, type the following and press enter after the command while the Kindle is off and plugged into USB:

Code:
    fastboot reboot -i 0x1949
    Step 6: You will see a Windows Command Prompt that will look like:

Code:
    C:\Users\Your Name\KFFirstAide>fastboot reboot -i 0x1949
    <waiting for device>
    Step 7: Next Power on the Kindle While you see the above, one the Kindle Boots the Kindle will suddenly reboot back into Fastboot although we have seen this step free the Bootloader, so if the Kindle begins to Boot normally unplug it from USB, if the Kindle boot back to Fastboot red screen proceed to step 8.

Step 8: While the Kindle is in Fastboot Mode type the following at the Windows Command Prompt:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-prod.img -i 0x1949
    Code:
    fastboot erase cache -i 0x1949
    fastboot erase userdata -i 0x1949
    Step 9: Leave the Kindle Plugged into USB. Wait for the device to Boot back to Fastboot, if the device boot back to a Fastboot screen with odd vertical line running through it, stop here, the Kindle has begun the recovery phase. If the Kindle begins it recovery, it will react odd and reboot several times, this is normal. Wait 10 to 15 minutes. If the Kindle boot back to Red Fastboot Screen proceed to Step 10.

Step 10: Leave the Kindle Plugged into USB. Next type the following command:

Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot-prod.img -i 0x1949
    Step 11: Next let's do a little house cleaning. The following commands wipe the old Dalvik Cache and User Data which is, in simple, tied to the old Android Operating System. Having said this, when the new OS attempts to retrieve data from these partitions, a content stream of errors occur in the background, causing the Kindle to react VERY slow and at times completely unresponsive. To eliminate this problem we will wipe these partitions before booting the new OS. Please enter the following commands, press enter after each one:

Code:
    fastboot erase cache -i 0x1949
    fastboot erase userdata -i 0x1949
    Step 12: Unplug from USB. The Kindle HD 8.9" will reboot with an odd Fastboot screen with vertical lines running through it, this is normal, do not interrupt the recovery. Let the Kindle begin it's recovery phase. This may take up to 10 to 15 minutes and the Kindle will reboot several times.

Step 13: Once the Kindle Stabilizes, please be sure to apply the Amazon OTA Patch before connecting the Kindle to your WiFi, otherwise you will loose Root and Google Play Store which are both installed on the images.

Step 14: After you applied the patches please wait for the Kindle to rebuild itself, this can take up to a couple of hours. If after 4 hours the Kindle is still reacting slow, perform a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Factory Reset. This option can be found under the More+ > Device > Restore to Factory Defaults. We find this last step is rarely used.
    Update

To All-

I have been cleared by my Doctors to return to work, here is my plan to catch up:

1) 06/12/2013 7:30pm to 11:30pm - Go through PM's respond as needed
    2) 06/13/2013 10:00am - 6:00pm - go through the posts urgent first
    3) 06/14 - 06/20 - Go through Posts
    4) 06/20/2013 - Post an updated version of Kindle Fire First Aide

I would like to thank everyone for there support during my recovery.

Best Regards,

Chris Bryant
    How to update kindle fire first aide

I get errors that the file exists in an otherwise empty directory, twice. I've attached screen shots. I've tried using both winrar and 7-zip and gotten the error both times.

Flinsman,

***************HOW TO UPDATE KINDLE FIRE FIRST AIDE*******************

Step 1: Download the update, save a copy of the update to your desktop

Step 2: Unzip the update TO THE DESKTOP as KFFirstAide32 or KFFirstAide64

Step 3: Navigate to C:\KFFirstAide look in the Backup folder, do you have any Backup images? If yes, Right Hand Mouse Click over the C:\KFFirstAide\Backup folder choose COPY then navigate to your Desktop choose PASTE this will copy the the Backup image folder and images to your desktop in a folder named Backup, there should be 3 images in this folder if you did a 17 Backup with our software. If you never did a 17 backup ignore this step.

Step 4: Navigate to C:\KFFirstAide look in the KindleBackup folder, do you have any images? If yes, Right Hand Mouse Click over the C:\KFFirstAide\KindleBackup folder choose COPY then navigate to your Desktop choose PASTE this will copy the KindleBackup image folder and images to your desktop in a folder named KindleBackup, there should be 11 images in this folder if you did a 13 Backup with our software. If you never did a 13 backup ignore this step.

Step 5: Next navigate to C:\KFFirstAide DELETE the folder and contents

Step 6: Navigate to your Desktop, find KFFirstAide32 or KFFirstAide64. Rename the KFFirstAide32 or KFFirstAide64 to KFFirstAide on your Desktop

Step 7: Inspect the Desktop folder name, make sure it is KFFirstAide

Step 8: Right Hand Mouse Click over the desktop folder named KFFirstAide choose "Cut", next navigate to C:\ - make sure you are not highlighting any folders and choose "Paste" - the folder KFFirstAide will now copy to C:\ - if this fails for some reason choose Copy and Past rater than Cut and Paste

Step 9: Only do this step if you did Step 3, otherwise ignore this step. Navigate to C:\KFFirstAide, Right Hand Mose Click over the folder named Backup, choose DELETE.

Step 10: Only do this step if you did Step 4, otherwise ignore this step. Navigate to C:\KFFirstAide, Right Hand Mouse Click over the folder named KindleBackup, choose DELETE.

Step 11: Only do this step if you did Step 3, navigate to you Windows Desktop, find the folder named Backup, Right Hand Mose Click over the Backup folder, choose "Cut", then navigate to C:\KFFirstAide and choose PASTE. If this fails choose Copy and Paste.

Step 12: Only do this step if you did Step 4, navigate to you Windows Desktop, find the folder named KindleBackup, Right Hand Mose Click over the KindleBackup folder, choose "Cut", then navigate to C:\KFFirstAide and choose PASTE. If this fails choose Copy and Paste.

Step 13: You may now remove the KFFirstAide, KindleBackup and Backup folders on your desktop, if they exist.

Step 14: Let's create a new shortcut. Find the current RunMe.bat shortcut on your desktop, delete it please.

Step 15: Navigate to C:\KFFirstAide find RunMe.bat - Right Hand Mose Click over RunMe.bat choose Send To - Desktop Create Shortcut

Step 16: Navigate to your Desktop find the new shortcut, Right Hand Mose Click choose Properties. Find a box and check "Run Program as Administrator" or "Run As Administrator" - Click Apply.

Step 17: Let's make sure you have the Path statement setup, please drop to a Windows Command

Step 18: Enter these commands:

Code:
    cd C:\Windows\
    adb kill-server
    adb wait-for-device
    adb devices
    If you see a serial number after adb devices you are good to go. Close the Command Windows by typing exit. If the command failed, you are missing the path, we have several posts on setting up the Path, Post the error.

********UPDATE*********

*****Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta RunMe 02/25/13 at 00:30 for Microsoft Windows*****

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for RunMe.bat Package: RunMe.zip (Dropbox)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for RunMe.bat Package:RunMe.zip (Box)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for Windows Universal Package: KFFirstAide.zip (Dropbox)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for Windows Universal Package: KFFirstAide.zip (Box)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for Windows 32-bit Version: KFFirstAide32.zip (Dropbox)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for Windows 32-bit Version: KFFirstAide32.zip (Box)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for Windows 64-bit Version: KFFirstAide64.zip (Dropbox)

Kindle Fire First Aide Revision 4.1.66-Beta for Windows 64-bit Version: KFFirstAide64.zip (Box)

7-Zip for Windows 32-bit: Download

7-Zip for Windows 64-bit: Download

Oracle Java SE Update: Java SE Development Kit 7u15

Oracle Java SE 7u15 32-bit : jdk-7u15-windows-i586.exe

Oracle Java SE 7u15 64-bit : jdk-7u15-windows-x64.exe https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/JavaSE/64-bit/jdk-7u15-windows-x64.exe