HTC EVO 4G won't boot, can't go into recovery mode, still able to access fastboot

Search This thread

dizzle247

Jun 1, 2006
Washington ST
I was running calkulin's rom on my evo but I decided to give cyanogen a run for its money. I was successful in installing cyanogen 6.1, and when i went to go install the addons, they didn't install properly for whatever reason. I went back into recovery mode and did a wipe of the device and went to install a fresh install of culkulin .. but instead of selecting the item "install zip from sd card" i selected "install update.zip" even though I didn't have an update.zip on my device.

After it tried to do that, it asked me if i wanted to reboot, i selected yes, and now i can't get into recovery mode. I can get into fastboot, but when i try and select recovery, it goes to the white HTC EVO 4G screen, then it goes to the screen with the phone, a red triangle with the exclamation point. If i press vol up + power, it brings up the menu to install from update.zip, wipe cache, wipe data, and reboot. I've selected all the options, i'm LOST.

i'm on a 2010 macbook pro .. I have windows 7 installed via VMware but it doesn't want to recognize my phone.

I was able to install adb on my mac, but it still can't recognize the phone. Any help is much appreciated, i don't want a $300 paper weight. Thanks!

dizzle247

Jun 1, 2006
Washington ST
i don't have a way to access the commands via terminal or dos to my phone. my computer can't recognize my device .. i'd prefer to do this via OSX because W7 via vmware isn't stable on my machine.

where can i download a custom image .. i may be able to run it via unrevoked, but when i run unrevoked, it gives me the error Device "- exec'/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" is not supported at this time.

sshark

Sep 17, 2008
Sounds like recovery is corrupted, download pc36000.img fkr amon_ra 2.2.1, put it into your root folder of sd card and give it go from fastboot.

I am typing name of recovery from my memory, so it can be wrong.

I read other posts about typing fastboot recovery installation commands, but you have said your adb is not working, so give this a try.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

thefredelement

Jun 12, 2010
Queens, NY
thefredelement.com
I'm not sure how to get adb running on the mac but it should be fairly easy. I'd read up on getting your phone connected with adb/fastboot then get the custom recovery img file.

Then you'll do:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(I'm not sure if amon has a readily available image file but you can get the img file for clockworkmod for the evo here: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clockwork-recovery-image.html

Just click the evo link, copy it to your fastboot folder and rename it to recovery.img just to make it easier.

Edit, if you have an sdcard apater (or maybe put the card in a digital camera or something so you can access it) you can put this PC36IMG.zip file on it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3vsgfwcz5po8hs/PC36IMG.zip

then boot your phone with boot loader, it'll scan the file and hit volume up to apply the update.

dallastx

Sep 29, 2008
Dallas TX
Had issue yesterday, my phone would boot directly to fastboot. My issue was a corrupted SD card. I bought a new one and it did the same thing but was able to reformat and it works! Never had this issue until i start pushing dalvich cache to SD. Anyhow check your SD card, try another on see if you can boot a zip from fast boot.

dizzle247

Jun 1, 2006
Washington ST
i tried that and it works perfectly! I was able to get a custom rom loaded onto my device and boot up, then i re-ran unrevoked so i could get that custom recovery so i could reload one of my past back ups.

Worked like a charm!

1smoothcat

Mar 1, 2008
i tried that and it works perfectly! I was able to get a custom rom loaded onto my device and boot up, then i re-ran unrevoked so i could get that custom recovery so i could reload one of my past back ups.

Worked like a charm!

He never said what worked. I am having the same issue and would like to know what worked.

Im actually stuck on the htc evo screen. I can access fastboot as well. Where do i go from there.

Last edited:

mhardman100

Jan 18, 2011
I'm having almost the exact same problem as dizzle247. I've tried to flash PC36.img and tried using a new recovery.img but it keeps on sending back to the beginning. I don't know if the fact that my phone is set to S-on has anything to do with it but if I try to switch it off it fails.

jtighe9

Mar 5, 2011
Please help

The same thing happened with my phone. How did you end up solving the problem?

GrooGrux

Jul 13, 2010
Any solution yet?

How would you run RUU when the phone doesn't boot?

I am having same issue.

I can access fastboot.
I can load a pc36img.zip from my root SD.
I can not access recovery.
Re-flashed amon multiple times, no change.
If I try to go into recovery, it just shows white evo 4g screen.
If I try to regular boot, just shows whit evo 4g screen.

Any thoughts?

plainjane

Jan 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Any solution yet?

I am having same issue.

I can access fastboot.

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, most people that had this problem were never able to get out of it. It happened mainly on AOSP based roms. I'm typing in past tense because it was a fairly common problem a few months ago, haven't heard much about it since.

You can try running an RUU. If it doesn't work and you have insurance, you may need to take it in and eat the $100 deductible.
Some people were flashing radios through hboot and pulling the battery until the device wouldn't even turn on, then taking it in.
However you want to handle it is up to you. I wish that someone had found a solution, but I'd try everything you can find before taking it in. Every phone is different, something may work for yours.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tooill

Oct 5, 2011
Miami
hmmm, can any1 shed some light as to WHAT worked? other ppl have same problem, it would help if they stated the actual solution lol.

tooill

Oct 5, 2011
Miami
ugh >.<, i wanna fix mines and sell it, i cant replace it.. i bought it and had it flashed for boost, but now it has that problem so idk what to do with it..

504master

Jul 11, 2012
Same problem need help evo4g

Any solution yet?

I am having same issue.

I can access fastboot.

Any thoughts?

I'm having the same issue need some help

Top Liked Posts