[Guide] Newb guide to unlocking HBOOT 1.16.0000 and 2.00+ and flashing a custom ROM

Search This thread

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
just want to know, if i follow these step to install SU in the phone, ie, just falsh with recovery rom and install SU, not flashing with Custom Rom. Will i still be able to install OTA update from HTC?

thanks a lot..

You will get the notification about an OTA, but in order to apply the OTA you will need to replace your custom recovery with the stock HTC recovery and relock the bootloader.

As nonverbose stated in his post, you will also need to relock the bootloader to apply the full RUU that corresponds to the OTA.

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
anyone help me i was downgrade my phone to be able to s-off and root my phone,but when i do revolutionary method says invalid beta key?? what to do

Use cut and paste to input the serial number and the beta key. That messageis usually caused by mistyping the characters in either one of those values.

XiaoZhu91

Oct 16, 2011
In HTCdev website there didn't list for HTC Incredible S, so which one should i choose to unlock bootloader?

XiaoZhu91

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks! it work!

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

1 question, i just flash my phone and install cyanogenmod, how can i install htc system htc sense 3.0?

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks! it work!

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

1 question, i just flash my phone and install cyanogenmod, how can i install htc system htc sense 3.0?

Check out this sticky thread in the Development section. Lots of Sense 3.x ROMs to choose from.

XiaoZhu91

Oct 16, 2011
i have a question here, i try to flash new rom sense 3.5, but inside the zip file have 4 different boot.img, i have 1 boot.img in kernel>main folder, 1 in kernel>saga folder, 1 in kernel>vivo folder, 1 in kernel>vivow folder, so which one should i flash the boot.img by using fastboot?

azin_83

Feb 9, 2012
help

hello.
i have incredible s , months ago i checked for update and updated my phone using wi-fi,but now i see that it goes to S-ON,before update it was s-off and the version was 1.16.000.
hboot version is 1.16.0000 .any body know how can i swith it to s-on?

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007

jhon101

Feb 28, 2012
Pune
Bricked I guess.

I have the boot loader unlocked successfully and also that I have the HBOOT version 2.00.00
I did as you said and now it's just stuck. won't boot into cyanogen mod. Although the clockwordmod was installed successfuly cus I can see it.
Help me out.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

previously, I mentioned, my HBOOT version is 2.00.000 and I successfuly installed clockword mod as well as unlocked the bootloader.
Now, when I tried installing cm7, it said successful and when I tried booting into it, it just shows the htc boot up screen and that's it. Now when I tried restoring the previously made backup, it shows the same thing. The 'htc' screen and that's it. What do I do?
is it bricked?

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
I have the boot loader unlocked successfully and also that I have the HBOOT version 2.00.00
I did as you said and now it's just stuck. won't boot into cyanogen mod. Although the clockwordmod was installed successfuly cus I can see it.
Help me out.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

previously, I mentioned, my HBOOT version is 2.00.000 and I successfuly installed clockword mod as well as unlocked the bootloader.
Now, when I tried installing cm7, it said successful and when I tried booting into it, it just shows the htc boot up screen and that's it. Now when I tried restoring the previously made backup, it shows the same thing. The 'htc' screen and that's it. What do I do?
is it bricked?

No it is not bricked. When you try to flash a custom ROM with HBOOT 1.16/2.00 you need to manually extract the boot.img file from within the Rom's zip file and flash it manually in FASTBOOT USB mode.

Search the forum for the procedure.

Reactions: jhon101

jhon101

Feb 28, 2012
Pune
thank you so much

Holy Sh** man! this did work. Thanks a lot dude! oh and what am I supposed to do to get my previous rom back?

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
Holy Sh** man! this did work. Thanks a lot dude! oh and what am I supposed to do to get my previous rom back?

Didn't you do a nandroid backup in CWM before you flashed CM7?

If not, there is a stock, rooted version of the Android 2.3.5/Sense 3.0 RUU in the Dev section that you flash from CWM.

fux93

Mar 4, 2012
i already have the S off but the phone still not rooted, can any 1 teach me how to root it?

HcNguyen111

Feb 27, 2012
I want to do this but don't want to lose the data on my phone. Is there anyway to backup EVERYTHING before doing this and losing everything?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's no exploit that has been found yet to S-OFF your HBOOT 1.16.0000 Incredible S, but you can unlock the bootloader, flash a recovery image, and install a custom ROM.

If you're not sure about doing this, I'd advise against it - things can go wrong, and there is a chance you'll damage your phone. Also be aware that HTC's unlock process effectively voids your warranty, and it will erase everything on your phone, as if your stock ROM went back to how it was when you first bought the phone.

1. Go to http://htcdev.com/ and create a free account. Once done, click the "Unlock Bootloader" link, or click here. Note that the Incredible S v1.16.0000 wasn't listed at the time of writing this, but the process still works fine.

Follow the instructions there to the letter; it's a pretty simple process - the guide says you'll need HTC Sync installed, but you may just need USB drivers. I installed HTC Sync for this process and then uninstalled it from my PC afterwards.

Part of this process involves grabbing some files from the Android SDK; you might not have that installed, so download them HERE. Put them somewhere easy to find, like the root of your C: drive in a folder called "android" (I'll use this for the rest of the instructions).

2. You'll know the process is going well when your phone flashes up an image asking if you're sure you want to unlock your bootloader. If you're still sure, select yes, and the process will complete.

3. Once done, your phone's bootloader will be unlocked, enabling you to flash a recovery image.

4. Go to here and download the recovery image for the Incredible S. Put it in the "android" folder along with the other files needed for HTC's unlock process, above. This file is the ClockWorkMod recovery image for the IncS.

5. Shut down your phone. Plug it in via USB to your PC which you set up during the HTC unlock process. Hold volume down, and press power and the phone will boot into the bootloader. Wait for it to scan your SD card (takes a few seconds), then ensure "Fastboot" is highlighted and press power.

6. On your PC, load up a command prompt - open the Start menu, go to Run, and type "cmd".

7. In the command prompt window, type the following, assuming the HTC unlock files and the recovery image you downloaded in step 4 is all in C:android.

Code:
    cd c:android

Then type:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery <recovery_name.img>

Don't forget the .img on the end, and replace "recovery_name" with the specific name of the recovery image you want to use. For ClockWorkMod linked to in step 4, you'd type:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivo.img

After a few seconds, ClockWordMod will have been flashed to your phone.

8. Reboot your phone, there should be an option in the fastboot menu (volume up and down to navigate, power to select). It should boot as per normal. Put it into USB disk mode, and download a ROM that you'd like to use. CyanogenMod is a good start: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/htc-incredible-s

Download the ROM and place it in the root of your SD card (ie. not in any folders or anything).

9. Power off the phone. Hold volume down and press power to boot back into the bootloader. Use volume down to select "Recovery" and press power. ClockWorkMod recovery will load.

10. Using volume up/down and power to select, go down to Backup/Restore. Select it, then hit Backup. ClockWorkMod will backup your stock ROM in case there are any dramas and you want to go back to it.

11. After that (takes around 3-4 minutes), go back to the main menu. Select wipe data/factory reset and confirm. Go back to the main menu, select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache > confirm. Always best to do these 2 things before flashing a new ROM.

12. Go back to the main menu, and select "Install zip from SDcard". Next choose "Select Zip from SD card" and select the ROM you'd like to install. Confirm this action, and ClockWorkMod will install your new ROM. After that's done, shut the phone down.

13. Ordinarily you'd be done after that, and you could boot into your new ROM. However HBOOT 1.16 does some weird stuff and tends to cause issues; I think it interferes with the installation of the boot.img that ordinarily would be flashed with the ROM. Anyhow, grab the ROM that you downloaded earlier (CyanogenMod, in my example), and on your PC, unzip the file somewhere. Once unzipped, inside you'll see a file called "boot.img". Put this in the same folder as your other Android tools that you used earlier. Power your phone on, hold volume down, and instead of loading recovery by choosing "recovery", choose "usb fastboot".

14. Open up your command prompt again (Start > Run > "cmd"), and type (using the "android" folder for this example):

Code:
    cd c:android
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

This will flash the boot.img to your phone.

Power off the phone, reboot it, and you should be good to go. There may be more efficient ways to do some of the above, but I'm not a massive guru at this stuff, I just haaaate Sense and bloatware. If any gurus notice any errors, please let me know.

* Edit: Bear in mind that by default, a CM7 install won't include any Google apps (this includes the market app); this needs to be flashed as a separate update via recovery. At the time of writing, a link to information about the Google apps package for CM7 is here:

http://xdaforums.com/archive/t-1297579.html

Have updated the title as this should work with HBOOT 2.00+; haven't tested this myself though.

Apologies, not around this site too often these days, at least until an official ICS ROM is out, so I probably won't respond to PMs. Good luck, and hope the above info helps - but it may pay to do some due diligence yourself first, in case it's out of date.
    There's no exploit that has been found yet to S-OFF your HBOOT 1.16.0000 Incredible S, but you can unlock the bootloader, flash a recovery image, and install a custom ROM.

If you're not sure about doing this, I'd advise against it - things can go wrong, and there is a chance you'll damage your phone. Also be aware that HTC's unlock process effectively voids your warranty, and it will erase everything on your phone, as if your stock ROM went back to how it was when you first bought the phone.

1. Go to http://htcdev.com/ and create a free account. Once done, click the "Unlock Bootloader" link, or click here. Note that the Incredible S v1.16.0000 wasn't listed at the time of writing this, but the process still works fine.

Follow the instructions there to the letter; it's a pretty simple process - the guide says you'll need HTC Sync installed, but you may just need USB drivers. I installed HTC Sync for this process and then uninstalled it from my PC afterwards.

Part of this process involves grabbing some files from the Android SDK; you might not have that installed, so download them HERE. Put them somewhere easy to find, like the root of your C: drive in a folder called "android" (I'll use this for the rest of the instructions).

2. You'll know the process is going well when your phone flashes up an image asking if you're sure you want to unlock your bootloader. If you're still sure, select yes, and the process will complete.

3. Once done, your phone's bootloader will be unlocked, enabling you to flash a recovery image.

4. Go to this thread and download the recovery image for the Incredible S. Put it in the "android" folder along with the other files needed for HTC's unlock process, above. This file is the ClockWorkMod recovery image for the IncS.

5. Shut down your phone. Plug it in via USB to your PC which you set up during the HTC unlock process. Hold volume down, and press power and the phone will boot into the bootloader. Wait for it to scan your SD card (takes a few seconds), then ensure "Fastboot" is highlighted and press power.

6. On your PC, load up a command prompt - open the Start menu, go to Run, and type "cmd".

7. In the command prompt window, type the following, assuming the HTC unlock files and the recovery image you downloaded in step 4 is all in C:\android.

Code:
    cd c:\android

Then type:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery <recovery_name.img>

Don't forget the .img on the end, and replace "recovery_name" with the specific name of the recovery image you want to use. For ClockWorkMod linked to in step 4, you'd type:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivo.im

After a few seconds, ClockWordMod will have been flashed to your phone.

8. Reboot your phone, there should be an option in the fastboot menu (volume up and down to navigate, power to select). It should boot as per normal. Put it into USB disk mode, and download a ROM that you'd like to use. CyanogenMod is a good start: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/htc-incredible-s

Download the ROM and place it in the root of your SD card (ie. not in any folders or anything).

9. Power off the phone. Hold volume down and press power to boot back into the bootloader. Use volume down to select "Recovery" and press power. ClockWorkMod recovery will load.

10. Using volume up/down and power to select, go down to Backup/Restore. Select it, then hit Backup. ClockWorkMod will backup your stock ROM in case there are any dramas and you want to go back to it.

11. After that (takes around 3-4 minutes), go back to the main menu. Select wipe data/factory reset and confirm. Go back to the main menu, select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache > confirm. Always best to do these 2 things before flashing a new ROM.

12. Go back to the main menu, and select "Install zip from SDcard". Next choose "Select Zip from SD card" and select the ROM you'd like to install. Confirm this action, and ClockWorkMod will install your new ROM. After that's done, shut the phone down.

13. Ordinarily you'd be done after that, and you could boot into your new ROM. However HBOOT 1.16 does some weird stuff and tends to cause issues; I think it interferes with the installation of the boot.img that ordinarily would be flashed with the ROM. Anyhow, grab the ROM that you downloaded earlier (CyanogenMod, in my example), and on your PC, unzip the file somewhere. Once unzipped, inside you'll see a file called "boot.img". Put this in the same folder as your other Android tools that you used earlier.

14. Open up your command prompt again (Start > Run > "cmd"), and type (using the "android" folder for this example):

Code:

This will flash the boot.img to your phone.

Power off the phone, reboot it, and you should be good to go. There may be more efficient ways to do some of the above, but I'm not a massive guru at this stuff, I just haaaate Sense and bloatware. If any gurus notice any errors, please let me know.

this line:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivo.im

should be:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivo.img
    Lynt need help...i have fallowed all the steps but i didnt go to the recovery. when i select recovery it stuck in to the HTC logo... so i tried to flash boot.img found in cm_vivo_full-146.zip but nothing solve and aftar that i cant boot my phone is stuck in HTC logo followed by quit brilliantly animation the animation run again and again...i try to reset fectory setting it not worked as wel it stuck in HTC logo..please help
    Yes you have flashed boot.img from custom ROM and now when you try to RESTORE from recovery it fails and stucks on HTC logo. I had the same. :mad:
    SO!
    What you need to do:
    1. Turn off the phone, remove battery and put your SD memory card into PC. Go to /clockworkmod folder and find "boot.img" from latest backup. Copy it to your C:\Android folder (or folder where you keep files for flashing)
    2. Connect phone and flash this boot.img via FastBoot (recovery menu)
    3. Your boot.img from custo ROM will be replaced with a stock one.
    4. Perform RESTORE once again.

Has worked for me.
    Good luck!
    thanks mate! works perfect!
    just need to add a little bit steps u were missing
    after step 12, have to restart the phone to fastboot in order to flash boot.

another question, if i flash a custom rom, will it unlock my sim lock as well?
    i cant find it out just bcos i already unlock my IS by purchased a unlock code online 3 weeks ago.

many thanks

and thanks and thanks again!

No flashing a custom ROM will not SIM Unlock a phone.
    i did every step..but now my phone stuck in htc logo..would someone help me plz

Have you extracted the boot.img from the ROM zip file as per my guide?

You need to put that boot.img file into a directory that's easily found, such as c:\android.

Then turn your phone off. Plug it into your PC via USB. Hold volume down, and turn it back on. When the white screen appears, go to fastboot and press power.

On your PC, open a command prompt and type:

Code:

So long as boot.img is in the android folder on your PC, you haven't renamed it something other than "boot.img", and you have the USB drivers you should be set.

Once that's done, reboot the phone and see how you go.

If you still have problems, post more details, not "phone doesn't work, please help". ;)