[Q] Dust under the screen

Search This thread

Monkyyy

Mar 8, 2011
My phone has finally succumbed to dust under the screen after 5 months :(

I don't want to return it and be without a phone for over a month (imported from USA to Australia), has anyone attempted to repair it themselves?

josemedina1983

Jul 15, 2008
Los Angeles
I barely got my dell venue pro first thing I did was swap the 8gb card for a 16gb now I got dust under the screen and I cant return it. Has any one taken the phone apart and clean the screen?

cdgoin

May 2, 2006
Midlothian, VA
ALL of my DVPs have succumbed to dust under the screen after a while.

Dell no longer properly supports the DVP, and returns are hard to do.. (I Think I swapped about once every other month.. but haven't swapped in 6 since they went to INdia support from the US support they had)

Anyway, I can see no way to get the dust out..

It seems to stop after a while and I think its getting in around the phone speaker.

Until a similar phone comes out I am sticking to my DVP.. still love it dust and all.

Technosquid

Feb 3, 2012
Is there a good disassembly guide for the DVP? I never had dust problems with mine, but I'm selling my brother's old one which has some, and I'm weighing my options -- should i remove the dust stuck between the screen and the digitizer, or should i just tell the buyer there are a few specs of dust in there. :-\

I know that unlike Super AMOLED and ClearBlack AMOLED screens, you can easily separate the digitizer from the screen with disassembly.

Last edited:

aleunge

Aug 11, 2007
service manual

Is there a good disassembly guide for the DVP? I never had dust problems with mine, but I'm selling my brother's old one which has some, and I'm weighing my options -- should i remove the dust stuck between the screen and the digitizer, or should i just tell the buyer there are a few specs of dust in there. :-\

I know that unlike Super AMOLED and ClearBlack AMOLED screens, you can easily separate the digitizer from the screen with disassembly.

Here's the service manual for the DVP. I've taken open quite a few phones and can say the DVP is among the easiest. All you need is one of those small torx screw drivers and you're good. Anyhow, follow the guide and it should be easy breezy. A couple of notes though, make sure to be extra extra EXTRA careful if you decide to take out the ear speaker (or speaker phone speaker) to clean the fabric grill. It's stuck on pretty tight so that when you pull, it can break apart and the speaker coil will.. well, uncoil. Had to replace mine during the first strip down. And you might want to clean the contacts for the phone speaker while you're in there since the DVPs tend to get loose audio connections.

The screen is pretty easy to clean as well. I actually used a glue gun to seal the top and side edges of the LCD after so I no longer get dust under the glass. And it has sat in my pocket for months, still spotless. Make sure to use a very thin layer of glue though or you won't be able to close the front glass with the back piece.

Reactions: Technosquid

niranjan2585

Oct 20, 2010
Here's the service manual for the DVP. I've taken open quite a few phones and can say the DVP is among the easiest. All you need is one of those small torx screw drivers and you're good. Anyhow, follow the guide and it should be easy breezy. A couple of notes though, make sure to be extra extra EXTRA careful if you decide to take out the ear speaker (or speaker phone speaker) to clean the fabric grill. It's stuck on pretty tight so that when you pull, it can break apart and the speaker coil will.. well, uncoil. Had to replace mine during the first strip down. And you might want to clean the contacts for the phone speaker while you're in there since the DVPs tend to get loose audio connections.

The screen is pretty easy to clean as well. I actually used a glue gun to seal the top and side edges of the LCD after so I no longer get dust under the glass. And it has sat in my pocket for months, still spotless. Make sure to use a very thin layer of glue though or you won't be able to close the front glass with the back piece.

Hi There, I have a Dell Venue Android Phone. Even I am facing the same problem with the dust behind the screen. If you could let me know where you found the service manual for DVP it would be greatly helpful. I can also try to find the service manual for my Dell Venue phone.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anyone else have any issues with dust being trapped between the layers of glass on their screen?

I've actually been waiting for a replacement phone since day one (due to a scratch on the screen from the factory), but today I noticed a new problem that wasn't there before. There is now some dust that is trapped between the layers of glass.

qradso.jpg

Sorry about the crummy picture. I'm not sure if you can tell but if you're looking at the phone itself, it's obvious the dust is on some middle layer, due to the way the shadows fall. Since it's not on the outermost layer, I see no way of getting rid of this.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Both my initial DVP from the WP7 launch (11/8) and my current one have dust under the screen. I tried getting a replacement from Dell last week, but the replacement locked up frequently. For now I'm sticking with dust rather than lockups.

I'm interested to know if others who have had their's for a few months are experiencing the same.
    service manual