[Q] Tab 3 8.0 not charging, no boot, no download mode. Any help?

Search This thread

ylfaer

Jul 16, 2012
Hello friends. I´m new in the forums, but I have now a huge problem in my hands.

I have a Samsung SM-T311 and it stopped working days ago. It wouldn't boot or charge. Recently, a message appeared in the screen, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

I can start in Download Mode screen sometimes, with the USB cable in my PC. But as soon as I press "vol up" to enter the Download Mode, it restarts into the "Firmware upgrade encountered..." screen.

So, I have now an incredibly unstable tablet, that won´t boot or charge unless connected in my PC. And even connected, the only thing it shows is that message in the screen. Download Mode is not reachable, so I cant restore it in Kies or Odin, since it cannot be detected.

I know, it´s a mess. But before I send it to any repair services, there´s anything I can do to try and restore my device?

Thanks in advance.

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
Hello friends. I´m new in the forums, but I have now a huge problem in my hands.

I have a Samsung SM-T311 and it stopped working days ago. It wouldn't boot or charge. Recently, a message appeared in the screen, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

I can start in Download Mode screen sometimes, with the USB cable in my PC. But as soon as I press "vol up" to enter the Download Mode, it restarts into the "Firmware upgrade encountered..." screen.

So, I have now an incredibly unstable tablet, that won´t boot or charge unless connected in my PC. And even connected, the only thing it shows is that message in the screen. Download Mode is not reachable, so I cant restore it in Kies or Odin, since it cannot be detected.

I know, it´s a mess. But before I send it to any repair services, there´s anything I can do to try and restore my device?

Thanks in advance.

Download your stock firmware from sammobile.com. Flash it using Odin.
The "firmware encountered an error" screen should work the same as the download mode screen. Just connect to pc when you get to that screen and make sure that it is detected in Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I605

ylfaer

Jul 16, 2012
Download your stock firmware from sammobile.com. Flash it using Odin.
The "firmware encountered an error" screen should work the same as the download mode screen. Just connect to pc when you get to that screen and make sure that it is detected in Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I605

It´s not detected by Odin. But thanks for the quick answer anyway.

EDIT: Well, after some effort, could start in download mode. But my computer can´t recognize the device anyway, either in Odin or Kies. It was working perfectly before, don´t think it´s hardware related.

Last edited:

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
Try reloading the Samsung drivers onto your PC. This may, or may not help. However, not reloading the drivers will keep you in the same state you are in now. Connecting the device and having Odin not recognize it is there tells me the drivers are invalid or corrupted or no longer there. It could also mean your device bootrom is badly damaged.

You may also want to try different USB ports on the PC. When you plug in the device to the computer, you can go to Computer Management / Device Manager and see which port the Samsung is trying to access.

Can you access recovery mode?

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
Also, try different USB cables.. They are NOT all created equal.
Some will charge.... but not connect to PC for file transfer..
It's real.. try different cables once you've reached D/L mode..
good luck

PS easy way to goto D/L mode is hold 'power' and 'Vol down' together, ONLY
Dont even mess with trying to hold the 'Home" button too..

Last edited: