[Q] Help!!! Only on For seconds?

Search This thread

djdoubt03

Mar 6, 2013
www.indiegamemag.com
So today my phone started to power it's self off. When I power on it shows the kernel screen for a few secs then powers off. I can boot into Recovery (CWM) and when I select reboot it does the same. If if I boot in to Download Mode, it only stays on a few secs.

Is it the power button? Any ideas?

I'm running the BMS Kernel and C-Rom 6.6. I have had this same rom and kernel for weeks with no issues.

Last edited:

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
So today my phone started to power it's self off. When I power on it shows the kernel screen for a few secs then powers off. I can boot into Recovery (CWM) and when I select reboot it does the same. If if I boot in to Download Mode, it only stays on a few secs.

I'm running the BMS Kernel and C-Rom 6.6. I have had this same rom and kernel for weeks with no issues.

Sounds like your battery is dying. Might wanna look into getting a new one.

Reactions: djdoubt03

djdoubt03

Mar 6, 2013
www.indiegamemag.com
Using CWM built in key test it seems it is the power button, when I touch the power key it reads as if it is being touched multiple times or heklod down. Any Fix without replacing the button?

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Using CWM built in key test it seems it is the power button, when I touch the power key it reads as if it is being touched multiple times or heklod down. Any Fix without replacing the button?

It's fairly easy to replace. You can buy a button off ebay for fairly cheap and look on YouTube to replace it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Free mobile app

pre4speed

Apr 17, 2011
lancaster
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I agree it sounds like a stuck power button. My experience with this problem first showed in a captivate of my moms. It was very bizarre tho. On stock ROM it would constantly do the vibrate, cycle, vibrate etc. On a custom ROM however, it has had zero problems with the power button. Maybe try that? Not a sure fire fix, just telling what happened with the Cappy. ☺

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
If this is power button problem you can try (what i did and worked, but it is your choice and you can damage your phone) drop little of oil in power button and press couple time with out battery in phone.

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
If this is power button problem you can try (what i did and worked, but it is your choice and you can damage your phone) drop little of oil in power button and press couple time with out battery in phone.

That's actually fairly dangerous for your device. I would suggest an air duster if you think it's dirty.

kragar00

Feb 14, 2014
Philadelphia
I'm actually having the same problem. It just started his morning.

The phone won't boot normally. I get the kernel boot screen, sometimes a Samsung screen, and then it turns off. 2-3 seconds max.

I can get it into download mode, but after 3-4 seconds, it spontaneously shuts off.

Recovery mode (CWM) is completely stable. I can get in, make back ups, perform a key test, etc. When I run a key test, it shows that the power button is a little sensitive, but not crazy. If I jiggle it some (mostly back a little) it registers a key press, even if I'm not fully pressing it. If I do press it fully, sometimes it doesn't register.

If this is really a button issue, why is recovery stable? Even if I put the phone on a flat surface with nothing that could touch the button, the phone still doesn't stay in download mode (it just shuts off.) When I put the phone in recovery, place it on a flat surface, and perform the key test, the phone isn't registering a key touch.

I've tried 3 different batteries, kept the phone plugged in, popped the battery and held the power button to discharge everything, wiped the cache, wiped dalvik cache, and used CWM touch to reboot (and avoid the power button all together.)

The only think I can think of that's maybe different is that gapps was FC'ing more than normal this morning (before the phone crapped out.)

I'm running StockMOD ROM 4.4.2 R2 with the Ktoonsez Kernel for TouchWiz 4.4.2.

EDIT: Also, when it's plugged in, the LED doesn't light up. I'm not sure that it's actually charging. I do have a wall charger, so I can verify that the batteries I'm using are charged.

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Try flashing a different rom from recovery to see if it still happens. Also try a factory reset. If you get as close to stock as possible and it still happens it raises the probability thst its hardware.
If you put the battery in and wait a few moments does it turn on by itself?

kragar00

Feb 14, 2014
Philadelphia
Band-aid

@DocHoliday77 I messed with the phone a little later tonight and recovery became unstable. I'm convinced it's a power button problem now. I think the internal mechanism gets stuck and that's the issue.

When I put the battery in, the phone does try to boot by itself.

I used the advice in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53915864 and I was able to get up and running again. I opened the phone up, blew some compressed air on the button, tapped the flat side of the button lightly a few times with the end of my screwdriver, and put everything back together. I was able to get back into recovery, and then reboot normally.

I ordered a new power button and I plan on replacing it next week when it gets here, just to be on the safe side.

You guys at xda are life savers!

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
The booting up on its own after inserting the battery is a classic symptom of the power button going bad. Glad to hear you got it working for now, and that you are ordering a replacement. Everyone ive heard about getting it to work using any number of methods have always found it to only be a temporary solution.

Just a thought, in case it starts up again, maybe remove the plastic piece until you replace the switch. Hopefully that would help prevent it from getting accidentally pressed in your pocket or by bumping it into something. (You could probably still access it with a toothpick or something like that if needed)

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
I agree it's the power button. I just posted about my little experience on Google+

I tried seriously whacking it on the floor and everything. I wouldn't recommend that but I had no warranty and no funds for repair. Others had said that beating the crap out of it worked so I thought why not lol...
https://plus.google.com/116004961340303353216/posts/ig2ogLeUWJ8

Long story short, my beating it up didn't work but it did wake it up. It falling on the floor however, jarred whatever was stuck and it now works like a charm...good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sounds like your battery is dying. Might wanna look into getting a new one.