LG G3 vs Sony Xperia Z2 Camera

Search This thread

GoyoNeuff

Jan 4, 2012
Coming from the iPhone 5 (last iPhone I used) I was hugely disappointed concerning camera quality with android phones. I had an Xperia Z, Z1 and Nexus 5 (not counting the Droid 4 and Photon Q...those were no real cameras) and every single of them had terrible camera quality.
Of all those the Nexus 5 probably had the best....if, and thats a huge IF, the frikkin camera managed to get a focused shot.
I have 2 DSLR and a Sony NEX7, so most of the time I use those, but I was looking for a decent phone Camera for convenience reasons,
The iPhone 5 had a great camera, then a Nexus 5 and Z1, then the Z (terrible camera). Out ouf 10 pictures, the iphone made 5-6 in focus (those quick shots on the kids you konw), the Nexus 5 probaby 2-3, the Z1 about 5 and the Z with a lot of luck 3-4.

The LG G3 is a decent phone (although not great, I still think of the Sony line to offer the best "Operating System" (launcher etc. is awesome on Sony devices), but the Camera on the G3 is GALACTIC!
Not so much for the quality of the picture itself (its good but I saw better on the iPhone 5 or 5s) but for the speed. For those little snapshots of kids playing (and you know, kids won´t hold still for a second) this is by FAR the best camera. Out of 10 pictures i manage to have 9-10 in focus....I now rarely have to delete any photo because its out of focus. So I would say that the laser focus really makes a huge difference.
Usually the G3 takes the photo the second I press, this is amazing!
Thanks. No Z2 you compared to?

Deagles

Aug 9, 2014
I think both cameras are almost the same LG using the Sony brand sensor like many other phone manufacturer but as a software Sony so much better than the G3. G3 camera software little bit unsatisfying you can't even change the basic settings.

Last edited:

GoyoNeuff

Jan 4, 2012
I think both cameras are almost the same LG using the Sony brand sensor like many other phone manufacturer but as a software Sony so much better than the G3. G3 camera software little bit unsatisfying you can't even change the basic settings.
Thanks.

I have seen pictures of the LG G2 that are really outstanding in low light conditions. The LG G3 is supposed to have improved upon the G2, so I am assuming the G3 camera is if anything as good as the G2.

GTCC

Jan 18, 2013
Coming from the iPhone 5 (last iPhone I used) I was hugely disappointed concerning camera quality with android phones. I had an Xperia Z, Z1 and Nexus 5 (not counting the Droid 4 and Photon Q...those were no real cameras) and every single of them had terrible camera quality.
Of all those the Nexus 5 probably had the best....if, and thats a huge IF, the frikkin camera managed to get a focused shot.
I have 2 DSLR and a Sony NEX7, so most of the time I use those, but I was looking for a decent phone Camera for convenience reasons,
The iPhone 5 had a great camera, then a Nexus 5 and Z1, then the Z (terrible camera). Out ouf 10 pictures, the iphone made 5-6 in focus (those quick shots on the kids you konw), the Nexus 5 probaby 2-3, the Z1 about 5 and the Z with a lot of luck 3-4.

The LG G3 is a decent phone (although not great, I still think of the Sony line to offer the best "Operating System" (launcher etc. is awesome on Sony devices), but the Camera on the G3 is GALACTIC!
Not so much for the quality of the picture itself (its good but I saw better on the iPhone 5 or 5s) but for the speed. For those little snapshots of kids playing (and you know, kids won´t hold still for a second) this is by FAR the best camera. Out of 10 pictures i manage to have 9-10 in focus....I now rarely have to delete any photo because its out of focus. So I would say that the laser focus really makes a huge difference.
Usually the G3 takes the photo the second I press, this is amazing!

You thought that the Nexus 5 had a better camera than the Z1, funny. Are you sure you know how to use a camera?

flintston314

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks. No Z2 you compared to?

No, but I assume the Z2 and G3 cameras to be more or less equal, qualitywise. But from what I have heard, the G3 is faster.

@GTCC
So, you like bland, washed out pictures? Maybe go see a doctor? See, I can be insulting to.
The nexus 5 made quite good pictures in perfect light conditions and actually quite good ones at night, and to note, I had various patches installed to make the camera better. Still, I would say the Nexus 5 pictures were at least on par with the Z1. The Z1 lacks Color Reproduction and is shockingly weak in night conditions, both which is important for me. Details are better on the Z1 due to the higher MP count, but thats about it.
And there is no reason for you to be a smart@ss.

BTW: Color reproduction on the Z1 was terrible. For that sensor Sony managed to have a color reproduction of a 2002 Canon Ixus...thats a joke for a 2014 camera.
If Details are important to you because you like to crop images to frame them better, then the Nexus 5 would be a disappointment.

read this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2538201

And yes, Nexus 5 camera was better for my needs as it did a good job (apart from the focusing speed problem).

Again, I would say Z2 and G3 cameras are comparable.....although if the focusing on the Z2 is anything like on the Z1, the G3 will be faster, a lot. And anyone looking for speed will be happy with the G3.

For me: Speed (Focus) > Color Reproduction > Low Light > Details.
If your full into Details, meaning you crop images a lot, then the N5 would nothing you would like (and the G3 for that aswell).

Originally Posted by Batfink33 View Post
The G3 uses the Sony Z1 sensor. The Z2 has an updated sensor.
This is complete bollocks:
The Sony Z1 has a 20.7MP, 1/2.3" Sensor, the G3 has a 13MP 1/3" Sensor. Sony Z1 and Z2 sensor are either identical or more or less the same. They both lack optical stabilisation which the G3 has. The MP count does not help with shaky hands, not to mention that for the sensor size the Sonys have, the image quality is not stellar.

Last edited:

Batfink33

Sorry to doubt you... But do you have specs for this statement ?

[emoji15]
The G3 uses the old Sony IMX135 sensor instead of the new IMX214.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8169/the-lg-g3-review/5

http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/general/forget-sd805-didnt-imx214-t2850129

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_pro/april_2014/imx214_e.html

3f469613fcb20d573be501bd5a0e3682.jpg

Last edited:

flintston314

Nov 3, 2012

Your statement was that the G3 has an "old" sensor that the Z1 used, which is NOT true. The G3 sensor is not used in the Sony smartphone lineup.
Not to mention, although the Z1 sensor would on paper be better, Sony did not do a good job on the software side. As long as the phone does not shoot in raw, you still would have to live with the limitations Sony implemented, mainly the poor color reproduction.

Last edited:

Batfink33

Your statement was that the G3 has an "old" sensor that the Z1 used, which is NOT true. The G3 sensor is not used in the Sony smartphone lineup.
Not to mention, although the Z1 sensor would on paper be better, Sony did not do a good job on the software side. As long as the phone does not shoot in raw, you still would have to live with the limitations Sony implemented, mainly the poor color reproduction.
Poor colour reproduction on the Z2? Do you actually own one?

6b98f7478cffb84227d2ab25b5789b18.jpg

flintston314

Nov 3, 2012
Poor colour reproduction on the Z2? Do you actually own one?

Now tell me, how should one picture alone show anything? Did you compare this picture with pictures taken with other cameras? No? Then pls don´t write nonsense. Holy crap, I could post a black and white image and tell you that this is how it looked that day and you couldn´t proof me wrong on a single shot.

Take a look at the reviews around and you will notice how bad the color reproduction of the Z1 (I never said anything about the Z2 - but the sensor is the same). Colors are not accurate, brightness is too high and it lacks saturation. As long as you can´t shoot in raw you are limited by the way Sony implemented the Camera. They did the same on the Z and the Z1, although the Z also lacked a decent camera.
I owned a Z1 and the cameras are the same, they take decent pictures and if you can live withe colors, the rather bad low light pictures and the slow focus, fine, live with it. Be happy and go your way.
I can´t and that is all I said!

Last edited:

GoyoNeuff

Jan 4, 2012
Thanks all for the comments.

I have seen Z2 moving object pictures that really looked good. I have seen also G2 pictures really awesome and apparently the G3 is better than the G2.

I need the best I can get to capture moments with my kids: moving, low light... Almost all the time that kind of pictures. I am really thinking to get the Nokia 808 but old Symbian is really putting me away...

The original HTC One really let me down... I had good expectations but is a big disappointment...

For what I can see out there, Z2, G3 or the iPhone 6 if it brings a good camera are my options.

Is not the next Android L going to bring RAW?

Cheers.

Anethon

May 23, 2013
z2 or G3 ?

I had the Z2 for a short while before passing it on to my Mom and migrating to the G3, but I can say the Z2 had the better quality camera hands down.

But the G3 has that frickin Laser (Pew! Pew!) focus and I can take fully focused pictures instantly.
Why did you go for G3 instead of having z2 ? Thanks
Btw. Why is interface lagging in G3 ? Tried 4 G3ˇs and all of them had this interface lags once in a while

jtambis6

Why did you go for G3 instead of having z2 ? Thanks
Btw. Why is interface lagging in G3 ? Tried 4 G3ˇs and all of them had this interface lags once in a while

You won't believe the reason I switched from the Z2 to the G3.
My Mom broke her Crapberry (Blackberry???) and she needed a phone ASAP. She has used my Z2 in several occasions, mostly for taking pictures, and she really loved the picture quality of it. I gave the Z2 to my Mom. I still had my Note 3, which is my primary phone, and bought the G3 as soon it was released.

In regards of the UI lag, I found out switching to a 3rd party launcher (I use Nova Launcher), gets rid of most lag. I have no idea why the LG launcher lags sooo much, but after switching to Nova launcher, my G3 is smooth as butter now.

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
I have to say I have a z2 and it is by far the BEST camera I have ever used in a smart phone. -MOD EDIT- and no swearing please.It has been rated the best camera on the market over the I phone. And where the person said the pictures looked painted it's because the pictures are really that clear. They are so crystal clear that they don't look real. I had an s4 which was a 13 mp camera which was very good but this z2 in auto mode which is only 8mp and it takes beautiful pictures. And yes the comparison where it won was compared in 8mp mode so the playing field was even. You can shoot in 15.5 and 20.7 mp modes and it shoots amazing motion pictures. I take lots of pictures of my dogs playing and running and jumping and there is no noise and blows away the htc one m8 and the galaxy s5.I don't think the g3 could possibly take better pictures. I haven't used one because it's not available but trust me sony makes absolutely amazing phone cameras. They probably made the ones on the g3 and s5.but the z2s is a higher megapixel. And it's on a Sony product.

a camera that makes pictures that don't look real (because they are so clear) isn't a good camera just means the use a ridicules amount of post processing. But if you like the look of it that is afc cool.

I have to say that the G3 is the first smartphone that I have used that makes usable pictures and I enjoy using. It is far better that the Z1 (but afc I didn't use the z2 but they share the same camera, but apparently the Z2 uses aggressive post processing to make it look "better")

As a reference I normally take pictures with a Sony RX100, Fuji XE-1 or Sigma DP2-M.

The auto focus of the G3 is very fast and night photos look great (given the sensor size)

BTW
If was planning to get my self a Z2 but since the G3 was 300 euros cheaper and came with a speaker dock I went for it. I would be happy with both phones

Last edited:

Anethon

May 23, 2013
You won't believe the reason I switched from the Z2 to the G3.
My Mom broke her Crapberry (Blackberry???) and she needed a phone ASAP. She has used my Z2 in several occasions, mostly for taking pictures, and she really loved the picture quality of it. I gave the Z2 to my Mom. I still had my Note 3, which is my primary phone, and bought the G3 as soon it was released.

In regards of the UI lag, I found out switching to a 3rd party launcher (I use Nova Launcher), gets rid of most lag. I have no idea why the LG launcher lags sooo much, but after switching to Nova launcher, my G3 is smooth as butter now.

Speaking about Note 3. How would you compare it to Z2 ? Which one has better camera ? Which one would you pick ? Thx

jtambis6

Speaking about Note 3. How would you compare it to Z2 ? Which one has better camera ? Which one would you pick ? Thx

For everyday use, I have to go for the Note 3. I use the Note 3 for everything, from taking quick notes down, to playing Real Racing 3. I have gotten used to the size of the Note 3 screen and everytime I go back to the Z2's screen, it feels like a toy. The only thing the Z2 wins over the Note 3 is the camera and its water proof. The one true thing I hated about the Z2 was its huge bezels. The side bezels actually made the 5.2" screen look smaller. Oh, and you had to root the Z2 to get rid of Sony's bloatware apps.

tooplanx

May 8, 2013
I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting rid of my Z2 and getting a G3 because the Z2 camera is awful.
I think the reality of the Z2 camera is that usually it is very good, but there are also a significant number of duff handsets with rubbish cameras.

Buying a Z2 is pot luck.

defcomg

Dec 10, 2006
I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting rid of my Z2 and getting a G3 because the Z2 camera is awful.
I think the reality of the Z2 camera is that usually it is very good, but there are also a significant number of duff handsets with rubbish cameras.

Buying a Z2 is pot luck.

flash aosp and shoot raw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am interested in both these phones and am having trouble deciding due to the various camera reviews.

I am specifically interested in how each camera handles moving objects like kids or pets running as this is what I take most pics of.

Please post any samples here. Thanks kindly.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I didn't have the Z2, but I had the Z1 and it was by far the worst camera I had used on any phone. All the pics had a huge amount of noise and tended to look painted. When the Kit Kat update came and there was no improvement I moved on from the Z1. Seeing as the Z1 and Z2 have the same camera I imagine it's the same situation with the Z2.

The G3 camera is at the opposite end of the spectrum and delivers the best still shots I have seen on a phone, certainly comparable to a dedicated camera. Absolutely no regrets moving on from the Z1 or M8 to this phone.
    z2 camera

I have to say I have a z2 and it is by far the BEST camera I have ever used in a smart phone. -MOD EDIT- and no swearing please.It has been rated the best camera on the market over the I phone. And where the person said the pictures looked painted it's because the pictures are really that clear. They are so crystal clear that they don't look real. I had an s4 which was a 13 mp camera which was very good but this z2 in auto mode which is only 8mp and it takes beautiful pictures. And yes the comparison where it won was compared in 8mp mode so the playing field was even. You can shoot in 15.5 and 20.7 mp modes and it shoots amazing motion pictures. I take lots of pictures of my dogs playing and running and jumping and there is no noise and blows away the htc one m8 and the galaxy s5.I don't think the g3 could possibly take better pictures. I haven't used one because it's not available but trust me sony makes absolutely amazing phone cameras. They probably made the ones on the g3 and s5.but the z2s is a higher megapixel. And it's on a Sony product.
    Here's my first batch of photos and some 4K video of the LG G3 vs other flagships (Z2, GS5 and for some - the One M8).

http://jmcomms.com/2014/06/25/lg-g3...sung-galaxy-s5-sony-xperia-z2-and-htc-one-m8/

I intend to do more tests, with moving objects, low-light, in the dark (with flash) and so on. All the photos can be downloaded for closer scrutiny.
    I think you will like the auto mode on the G3. Especially using touch to focus which is what I found gave the better results. Where the G3 is able to use the laser to help focus I thought the shots were excellent. Even in unnatural light , or semi low light.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Nice display of the photos. Out of interest did you use the night mode on the S5 (picture stab) with a tripod. I found good results in terms of definition.

The biggest handicap here though is 'Me'!
    I've been shooting photos for well over 50 years now and if there is one area I do not like on any camera or phone, well that would be Auto mode.
    And before someone pipes back "it's only a Smartphone and not a dedicated digital camera", I'll say ~ You don't need an expensive digital camera to take a good shot (although obviously it's sensor and lens does help). No, what makes a good shot is the person behind the camera and their 'creativity'. You can only be truly creative when you take the camera out of Auto and apply your own Manual settings. Basically you are making the camera do something it does not want to do but at the expense of creating something different and special, even with a Smartphone.