My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Search This thread

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Thank you irishrally!

---------------------------
update - success! a small change in my troubleshooting plan, this time i did sign in to my google account. the other aspects will remain the same - i am now going to not do anything other than power on the screen to check the Status -> Uptime to monitor for reboots. goal = 72 hours. so.... *ahem* my guess i'll be back in less than 3 days time... :|

Good luck. That appears to be what finally worked for me. I'm on 8 days now. This is a launch day tablet. 4.2 base flash rebooted after adding apps. 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 OTA started rebooting after a few days. I RMA'd for reboots plus my screen has lightbleed and a blemish towards the middle. By that time 4.2.2 image was available so I flashed that and it is still up. The RMA unit shipped with 4.2.1 got the OTA in about 30 minutes and it has been up since. I think that was Tuesday.

As far as your method to check for reboots, you do know most of these reboots are "warm" and don't reset the counter. If you are seeing something else I would guess you aren't seeing what the majority of us are/were.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: bigmatty

Varekai

Mar 5, 2009
I have at least one crash a day no matter what rom/kernel I'm running. A couple times I've had a crash and it resulted in data loss. Also on Antutu I have extremely low memory read/write scores. In the compare chart of other Nexus 10's most people have about 167 write and 219 read and all I get is 40 write and 150 read. Also I can't install a updated nightly without having to fully wipe or I get stuck in bootloader, whereas others running the same rom dirty flash nightlies without a problem. I'm really starting to think I have corrupt memory.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Good luck.
<snip>
As far as your method to check for reboots, you do know most of these reboots are "warm" and don't reset the counter. If you are seeing something else I would guess you aren't seeing what the majority of us are/were.

Thanks.

The problem I am trying to prevent/isolate: I sleep the screen, then the unit either reboots (resetting the counter) or turns off.

Its been my experience w/ my tablet that that is how "the problem" manifests its self 98% of the time, if not exclusively. I've never actually had my eyes on the screen while it had a problem, always felt related to the sleep/wake. (But logs reveal to me its "during sleep" when a problem arises, not so much the act of going or waking.)

Hey, "My N10 Has Nightmares"!

I was on 4.2.0 so briefly that all my real use is 4.2.1 and 4.2.2-from-OTA-from-421 so I do hope that this is the reality: Something was wrong w/ 4.2.1 and the OTA to 4.2.2 does not install as stable as a flash install of 4.2.2 does.

20 hours and counting, remaining cautiously optomistic... :)

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
As a follow-up my RMA went 4.2.1 OTA to 4.2.2 then froze/rebooted opening a new tab in chrome after 4 days of uptime. The launch day tablet that I flashed to straight to 4.2.2 went 10 days rebooting some time this morning while I wasn't using it. So either way it isn't solved but I'm seeing longer than 3-4 hours of use which is some improvement.

Edit: just noticed the 10 day one crashed at 7:05 which also is the time of an app update notification that is still in notification bar.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
As a follow-up my RMA went 4.2.1 OTA to 4.2.2 then froze/rebooted opening a new tab in chrome after 4 days of uptime. The launch day tablet that I flashed to straight to 4.2.2 went 10 days rebooting some time this morning while I wasn't using it. So either way it isn't solved but I'm seeing longer than 3-4 hours of use which is some improvement.

Edit: just noticed the 10 day one crashed at 7:05 which also is the time of an app update notification that is still in notification bar.

I haven't had a lockup on CM M2 on my newest replacement, but my last one that I had replaced due to a faulty battery had frequent lockups on all roms. Most of which were when the Play Store was updating something.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I haven't had a lockup on CM M2 on my newest replacement, but my last one that I had replaced due to a faulty battery had frequent lockups on all roms. Most of which were when the Play Store was updating something.

Didn't M2 just come out? I'm not trying to be an a$$ but I'm not sure how this is a stability achievement? I definitely had the most lockups while updating apps. This is the first I have really noticed to coincide with the mere notification of an app update. I've read it on the forums many times but never seen it myself.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Update from "Paul from Google" on the Google thread:

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to post your experiences and share information with the community. We're continuing to investigate this issue, and we'd like to collect some additional bug reports from some of you still experiencing this.

To submit a bug report please follow this checklist:

•You have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.2.2.
•You have not modified the software on your tablet by installing a custom ROM or manually flashing/upgrading to Android 4.2.2.
•There's no need to have your device in safe mode.
•IMPORTANT: Your bug report must be captured immediately after your device reboots. Any delay, even a few moments, may mean the reboot data could be missed by the bug report. I recommend setting up your device for capturing a bug report well in advance of a reboot -- instructions are in the link below.

For further info and instructions on submitting a bug report (including the set-up instructions) please see this page:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport&src=7638530

Note that this page should only be used to submit reports about Nexus 10 spontaneous reboots running Android 4.2.2. Please also note that we will not be responding to individual reports, but will post updates in this forum thread.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Good luck. That appears to be what finally worked for me. I'm on 8 days now. This is a launch day tablet. 4.2 base flash rebooted after adding apps. 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 OTA started rebooting after a few days. I RMA'd for reboots plus my screen has lightbleed and a blemish towards the middle. By that time 4.2.2 image was available so I flashed that and it is still up. The RMA unit shipped with 4.2.1 got the OTA in about 30 minutes and it has been up since. I think that was Tuesday.

OK - using the fastboot "flash-all" has generated better results than the factory-wipe! My tests are still in their infancy, but as I documented - before, using just factory wipe and then letting the tablet sit, even with no use and no signing into Google, it still crashed after 69 hours.

NOW - I have done fastboot "flash-all", then DID sign into Google, but did ZERO use. No web browsing, nothing. All I ever did was wake the screen to check uptime. Oh, and twice I dismissed new Gmail notices via the status bar - never even opened Gmail. As of this AM I am at over 100 hours of uptime!

A little tale here:
It was the thing Nexus 10 owners only dream of, seeing triple digit hour uptime on their device. I'd heard about it in the lore, but never seen it for myself. Much like the Tooth Fairy, I had my doubts such a thing even existed. As I went to sleep last night, seeing a full 96 hours (4 days) of uptime, I wondered... What actually would happen when the uptime counter went over the end of the double digits? Was there in fact a third digit that could be displayed? Would the uptime counter click back to 00? Would the device not know what to do with that third digit, akin to the Y2K problems all had feared? This AM when I woke up, just like on Christmas morning's I excitely rushed to my Nexus 10... Did Santa leave me uptime, or had I been bad and thus deserving of uptime coal? Well the sun parted the clouds and I heard angels singing in the backround, this AM my N10 had OVER 100 hours of uptime! Woo hoo!

Anyways, I've read the discussion where people are talking about "shell reboots" and how that can "keep the uptime". Long story short, I'm not concerned with that. My specific problem has been: N10 gets into the "off" state when I did not put it there, almost exclusisvly this happened while the unit was in sleep, sometimes only for a couple seconds. I am not opposed to "finding bad 3rd party apps and removing them/not using them". BUT - I had to see that this unit could remain powered on with no apps installed first as a baseline. (Otherwise all other testing is really not valid!) When I was stock 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 via OTA, even AFTER factory wipe - that was NOT happening. Now after fastboot flash-all it is. So now I can start other testing.

I am still not 100% convinced other, physical or environmental factors are not at play. You see, during this uptime I've left my N10 in a drawer in my desk. I slide it open and wake there screen to test the stats. It hasnt even had to go from landscape to portrati! It hasnt been "jiggled around in my book bag". SO MANY other things to test. But at least now I have a baseline.

It took me A LOT of research, actually WAY TO MUCH to figure out that there is a difference between factory wipe and flash all. I know that sounds trivial to you vets, but I am POSITIVE that there are others out there who have done factory wipe to try and fix their situation, thinking like I did, that its the same as a "re-flash".

So as of right now I feel that there is a problem w/ the OTA coming off of 4.2.1. Sadly, on Google's latest official paramaters for contributing to this process, they have stated if you fastboot load 4.2.2 you are out of the running for submitting bug reports. I think thats too bad becase I think I've honed in on an aspect they need to look into. I understand why they can not publicy advocate fastboot use, because when you click past the OK to unlock your bootloader you are clicking ok to "may void warranty". If they were to say "well thats ok only if you are troubleshooting 4.2.2" then they open the floodgates to return-abuse. I HOPE they are reading posts like this though and are in fact looking into these things on their end.

Thanks to the commmunity thus far, and I will continue my testing. Next step is to load only Boat Browser, so that I can avoid Chrome use, and use it only at my house. This adds one third party app, tons more use time, and some physical jostling to the mix. Typically you dont add 3 things in one step, but I'd like to actually use this thing!!

bm

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Congrats on triple digits.

Got me a new one. Device is on (notification light blinking) but screen won't wake.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Congrats on triple digits.

Got me a new one. Device is on (notification light blinking) but screen won't wake.

Somewhere along the line troubleshooting the device to see if I needed to return it became what I actually do with the device as its primary activity...

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Yes. I currently have 2 side by side and they are behaving differently. Unfortunately the more stable one has more light bleed and some type of smudge in the screen.

Last edited:

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Can somebody explain to me how to do a fastboot flash-all? Want to try it on this other N10 before i send it back

Here is a post that I used:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38091931&postcount=210

The only caveat not flushed out in that single post was captured elsewhere in that thread: Using IE to download the image, I had to change the file extension from .tar to .tgz to allow WinRAR to unarchive it correctly.

Good luck & curious to hear how it goes!

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Here is a post that I used:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38091931&postcount=210

The only caveat not flushed out in that single post was captured elsewhere in that thread: Using IE to download the image, I had to change the file extension from .tar to .tgz to allow WinRAR to unarchive it correctly.

Good luck & curious to hear how it goes!

Curious if you had to factory reset after flash? Every time I do this I get stuck at the "X" boot animation and have to go back to recovery and factory reset then it boots.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Curious if you had to factory reset after flash? Every time I do this I get stuck at the "X" boot animation and have to go back to recovery and factory reset then it boots.

Shamefully I forget if, while doing the flash-all, if I had to factory reset. I am pretty sure that time I did not. But I know from the research I did before I did flash-all that people were saying the stock bootloader "frequently" creates the problem you describe. And I know I have had to do that earlier when I had used the stock bootloader for other things, for example I think when I was doing fastboot oem unlock going back and forth on root I had to do that at each unlock.

When I used flash-all on this most recent time my bootloader was already unlocked, so that would make sense as to why I didnt see it happen this time.

Let me know if you want me to try and find those discussions on this aspect.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
NBD...just curious. I posted a question about it and someone replied that I must not have flashed userdata. This last time I watched the flash all script and didn't see it push userdata so I did it manually but had the same result.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
NBD...just curious. I posted a question about it and someone replied that I must not have flashed userdata. This last time I watched the flash all script and didn't see it push userdata so I did it manually but had the same result.

Ok, I gathered up some of the info I have on this 'bootloop' thing. Before I ever did flash-all or rooted I saw these parts of these threads:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144385&page=24
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...stall-clockworkmod-touch-recovery-mac-pc.html

Whlie I was learning I looked at that second thread and did a fastboot -w which got me stuck in a boot loop and then I learned how to recover from that, so I was paying attention to this aspect. Based on styckx's troubleshooting with the person he did on the first link I posted I made sure to re-update my SDK even though I had done so only a day or two before, but it did update. So by the time I was actually competent enough to execute flash-all :) my bootloader was unlocked and my SDK was fully updated. So possibly those two steps can "prevent" the bootloop? I do know that I read somewhere where someone said "this happens every time", but I could not find that link just now. I point that out because they were implying its not an error that results in anything...

EDIT: I wanted to point out that although I cant recall w/ 100% certainty that I didnt see/get the bootloop, I know I only ever executed 'flash-all' and zero additional commands, certainly no manual manipulation of 'user'.

That's all I know! :D

Last edited:

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I never did install the full SDK. As I recall I just got fastboot extracted. That was GNEX days. Maybe something changed with fastboot too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We tell our customers who are rooted and testing to use Catlog (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

It works well, has filtering, and can periodically write logs to a file so you don't miss something. If you don't know when your device is going to have an "issue" that you want to log, it is probably best to be conservative and have Catlog save more often.

To make sure you catch every crash, we tell our customers to use Bootlog Uptime (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

It will alert you with a Notification each and every time the device is restarted without you telling it to. It is an invaluable tool to use alongside Catlog to figure out when and how often a device is rebooting.
    Update from "Paul from Google" on the Google thread:

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to post your experiences and share information with the community. We're continuing to investigate this issue, and we'd like to collect some additional bug reports from some of you still experiencing this.

To submit a bug report please follow this checklist:

•You have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.2.2.
    •You have not modified the software on your tablet by installing a custom ROM or manually flashing/upgrading to Android 4.2.2.
    •There's no need to have your device in safe mode.
    •IMPORTANT: Your bug report must be captured immediately after your device reboots. Any delay, even a few moments, may mean the reboot data could be missed by the bug report. I recommend setting up your device for capturing a bug report well in advance of a reboot -- instructions are in the link below.

For further info and instructions on submitting a bug report (including the set-up instructions) please see this page:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport&src=7638530

Note that this page should only be used to submit reports about Nexus 10 spontaneous reboots running Android 4.2.2. Please also note that we will not be responding to individual reports, but will post updates in this forum thread.
    We cannot explain definitively why some people and devices show the soft-reboot issue and some don't, but we do have some theories:

• Heavy usage of Location Services and the apps that depend on this causes the issue to happen more readily
    • Poor or no GPS signal strength causes the issue to happen more often
    • Poor or flaky WiFi connectivity causes the issue to happen faster
    • Frequent use of Chrome makes the issue more likely to happen
    • Not having reboot/crash tracking logging means you won't catch every reboot

The last item on the list is why we load Catlog (for root only on JB devices) and Bootlog Uptime (no root required) on every device we test with immediately after getting it:

Catlog -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat
    Bootlog Uptime -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

Between these two apps, neither of which we make, we can find out fairly quickly if a device is stable, crashing or behaving in a bad way. Without these apps, however, it is just a guessing game, since no one can watch a device 24/7 or when the screen is off.

As a matter of personal opinion, and from more than a decade of building, managing and shipping products (hardware and software), I don't believe in luck as an acceptable reason for why one device behaves well while another device responds badly. It almost always comes down to how the device is configured and how the customer is using it that determines stability or not. I am by no means an expert, but when looking into problems I prefer looking at instrumented and logged data versus customer observations as the data tends to be more reliable.

It is great that you haven't experienced the soft-reboot issue on your Nexus 4, but lets not discount the hundreds of customers who have already reported this behavior on their N4's, as well as the N10's, GalNexus's and other devices since upgrading to 4.2.x. And to feedback on another post 'solution' above: we reflashed our Nexus 10 with CM 10.1 and, surprise-surprise, the soft-reboots are still there, at least with Chrome usage, as we would expect while running the same base kernel, same WiFi and GPS radio code, and same core Google libraries.

I apologize in advance if this post comes of as curt or condescending, as that is not my intention. Instead, I'm trying to pass along some of my methodologies and experience from working in the semiconductor and software worlds while asking that we all try to gather data that will help Google fix the issue.
    No need to return the tablet for software issues.... Updates will come quick. That's a Nexus!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
    Not sure if this will help any of you but I'll share my experience.

I never got any reboots on my Nexus 10 but I didn't have Chrome installed so I thought that might be why. One day I installed flash and went through a hand full of browsers to see which supported flash. To my surprise none did so I uninstalled the browsers and settled with AOSP browser and Ocean browser as they were the smoothest.

Soon I experienced my first reboot. I never thought much of it I just thought my luck ran out. I did wonder why AOSP browser didn't work with flash though. I was reading one day and found that the version of flash I had may not work with 4.2.1 so I uninstalled it and installed the one ending in.27. To my surprise AOSP browser started working with flash but so did Ocean. I then started to get mad freezes and reboots.

My Nexus would freeze for a couple seconds then reboot at any time I was using it. I did a couple factory resets and restores and the problem always came back. One day I started over and was selective about what I restored and when I didn't restore nor install flash - no more reboots. I'm now on CM 10.1 with 4.2.2 base and no reboots so far so for me flash was the culprit.

TL;DR - Uninstall flash, clear cache and Dalvik and see if you still have reboots or at least less reboots.