Red tint on the screen

Search This thread

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
TMO are annoying me. Telling me to deal with Samsung directly and Samsung is telling send in for repair which will take at least 3 weeks.. Unacceptable on all levels. I think I am calling TMO again and telling them i want to return it. I might try my luck finding one at a store where I can check the quality before I walk out or even better I will keep my money and use my s7 edge.

Not sure of the laws in america but in the UK they wouldnt get away with that. if an item is faulty when sold, consumer is entitled to a full refund or an exchange for a NEW item, whatever they prefer, they certainly dont need to send it for "repair" when its a brand new faulty item.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
woman in video makes it sound like its normal for AMOLED displays. How many devices have had similar AMOLED displays now? and how many have had this issue? dont think any. I wonder if Samsung is going to do something or just bury their heads in the sand for weeks and hope it goes away.

Yes, she acted like it is very common or soemthing we should have expected from AMOLED. Ive had many AMOLED samsung phones and have never experienced this before.

TMO are annoying me. Telling me to deal with Samsung directly and Samsung is telling send in for repair which will take at least 3 weeks.. Unacceptable on all levels. I think I am calling TMO again and telling them i want to return it. I might try my luck finding one at a store where I can check the quality before I walk out or even better I will keep my money and use my s7 edge.

For a brand new phone, why do we have to send it in for repair? I want a new phone not a repaired phone. T-Mobile told me yesterday to return it to the store and claim "buyers remorse" they will credit my account for the $50 restocking fee and just get another phone at the store. Dont know if that will work. The store might tell me otherwise.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

How is there return policy?

We will have to buy another phone, pay for the down payment again. Until they received the returned phone, which they told me takes 1 month, then I will get my refund. I asked them so will they charge me for having two S8 on my monthly bill and they cant answer that question for me. Manu member on this forum have had their phones mysteriously "lost" so they had to wait 2+ months and endless time over the phone to the problem resolve.

I just cant walk into a store and do an exchange. Anything bought online have to be mailed back.

deanesn

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago
I am sorry but I am not paying anymore than what i have already spend. It's defective product period. I might try to walking into a store tomorrow and see what is going on but the worst part is that every store is different so depends on the person you walk into.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
I think we should spam T-Mobile on twitter about this problem and hope they come up with a better way of taking care of their loyal customers.

jc83

Apr 27, 2009
I thought I can live with it, but It is very noticeable to me! Now I have to deal with t-mobile stupid return policy.

Yes, she acted like it is very common or soemthing we should have expected from AMOLED. Ive had many AMOLED samsung phones and have never experienced this before.

For a brand new phone, why do we have to send it in for repair? I want a new phone not a repaired phone. T-Mobile told me yesterday to return it to the store and claim "buyers remorse" they will credit my account for the $50 restocking fee and just get another phone at the store. Dont know if that will work. The store might tell me otherwise.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

We will have to buy another phone, pay for the down payment again. Until they received the returned phone, which they told me takes 1 month, then I will get my refund. I asked them so will they charge me for having two S8 on my monthly bill and they cant answer that question for me. Manu member on this forum have had their phones mysteriously "lost" so they had to wait 2+ months and endless time over the phone to the problem resolve.

I just cant walk into a store and do an exchange. Anything bought online have to be mailed back.

This sucks. For my Tmobile S7 Edge I picked it up on launch day in store (no preorder) and had to exchange it 2 times due to manufacturer defects. So since I preordered it this time online I would have to ship it back to get a new phone? That is risky because what if I send it back and the new phone has a worse screen then the first. This happened to me before where I've exchanged a phone for a new one only to find the replacement is a lot worse.

haircut123

Dec 9, 2011
I'm uk cfw we get 14 days to return.I was told I can't return until the 28th April when the s8 is offial launched.

jer21

Apr 26, 2011
Seattle
If it's that bad you could always return it for refund with TMO and order a different one. You won't see your money back for at least 3 weeks though

Gigatopiloto

Dec 3, 2011
Miami
I had the red tint in the center of the screen. Turned down the red bar to the middle and now the screen is PERFECT

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
This sucks. For my Tmobile S7 Edge I picked it up on launch day in store (no preorder) and had to exchange it 2 times due to manufacturer defects. So since I preordered it this time online I would have to ship it back to get a new phone? That is risky because what if I send it back and the new phone has a worse screen then the first. This happened to me before where I've exchanged a phone for a new one only to find the replacement is a lot worse.

Never ordering a phone over the phone anymore. This is what they wrote to me about the return policy.

I am sorry to hear and read what you are going through on your new phone , Getting a new phone should be an exciting experience and we want to do everything we can to make this right for you, since the phone was ordered through us it would also need to be returned to us, the store would not be able to do a buyers remorse exchange unless it was purchased there, I know you got this on a pre order there was no way for you do it in a store yet . If there was another way we would be most definitely offering it to you.

asjshenry

Mar 19, 2012
I wish I just had red tint. Mine started to show grey on the always on display. Then I woke up this morning to a greenish screen that you could barely see. This afternoon the phone is just pixelated and whitish green. Hardware display malfunction. Now I have to wait a week to get a new one sent to me. IMG_0899.JPGIMG_0864.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
I wish I just had red tint. Mine started to show grey on the always on display. Then I woke up this morning to a greenish screen that you could barely see. This afternoon the phone is just pixelated and whitish green. Hardware display malfunction. Now I have to wait a week to get a new one sent to me.View attachment 4120081View attachment 4120082

Damn that is worse than the red tint, but who knows all our red tinted phones might get worse like yours.

Nov 18, 2014
I wish I just had red tint. Mine started to show grey on the always on display. Then I woke up this morning to a greenish screen that you could barely see. This afternoon the phone is just pixelated and whitish green. Hardware display malfunction. Now I have to wait a week to get a new one sent to me.View attachment 4120081View attachment 4120082

Wow that is rubbish - looks like puke.

Hopefully it'll be RMA'd quickly for you.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Never ordering a phone over the phone anymore. This is what they wrote to me about the return policy.

Buyers Remorse ?!?!? What absolute rubbish - the nerve.....

I have a red tint issue with mine. As noted by someone above - straight on (exactly straight on that is) - it looks pure white. Tilt the phone at any angle - even a few degrees and it turns pink. I turned the Red balance all the way down and it's still readily apparent. It gets grossly apparent beside my S7 Edge. The phone sits flat on my desk most of the time, so most of the time I see pink. Even holding it in my hand while texting, the phone moves/tilts enough to be flashing back and forth between pink and white - boy is THAT annoying.

I called AT&T and they were pretty good - told me I could take it into the closest store and exchange it. While on the phone with AT&T, I tried for an exchange tonight. The call center called the local store but the store manager can't do any exchanges since the phones will not show in their online inventory until morning.
They did warn me that they have limited numbers of S8+ and suggested that I be there when the store opened to have the best chance for an exchange. Sweet phone though, save for this display issue. TW has come a long ways too - if they would have vertical scrolling I think I might even take it over Nova.

Reactions: vishanth

st3rv

Nov 3, 2012
The number of phones with defective displays is already higher than the total number of Note 7 with defectives batteries! I pre-ordered the unlocked version but decided to cancel and wait until it's officially sold and exchangeable in the US.

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
The number of phones with defective displays is already higher than the total number of Note 7 with defectives batteries! I pre-ordered the unlocked version but decided to cancel and wait until it's officially sold and exchangeable in the US.

Smart move. You dont want to have any warranty issue and have to live with the red tint.

xPr0metheus

Oct 27, 2012
I am pretty surprised that neither the media nor Samsung seem to really acknowledge the issue. To this point, it should be clear that the tint cannot be fixed in the settings. Still I didn't read a single article today about the issue or any new information from Sammy. Everything is from one or two days ago saying everything should be alright.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

haircut123

Dec 9, 2011
Well u best read some articles on the issue then,there are many, gsm arena was the first article that let me know about the widespread problem .but since then I've read 10 or more articles on the red screen issue I can link them if you like.here is a pic of my s8 plus uk unlocked it's pink as ****

q7GpGzW.jpg

Last edited:

The Phone Company

Sep 7, 2016
Quality Control for our display is not priority. Sorry guys, Bixby is far more important. We must implement Bixby to data mine every aspect of your daily life. This has been the agenda all along fools! What, you thought we created this product for your viewing pleasure? Blind goats. If we were really concerned about user experience you would have all had sparkling snow white displays to look at. After all, isn't that what our marketing concept we lured you in with was all about. The 'Infinity' display? Suckers!

P.s. sattire, picking my S8+ up tomorrow. It better be WHITE else I will be seeing red not just on the display!

BenJG

Dec 25, 2010
Hi All,

Have had my S8+ since the 17th, and also have the red tint (although perhaps not as bad as some I have seen in pictures). Having spent a few days with it, played with every display setting (both through Settings and via dialer codes), followed multiple forums, and talked to a friend who designs image sensors and knows screens, I have a few early thoughts:

(1) The screen is much redder than seen in previous Samsung phones (I've owned a Note 4, Note 5 and 7 Edge), but in this case it is especially obvious due to the curved edges of the screen. Not sure why the red also appears at the top and bottom of the screen though. The red is also more obvious when you tilt the screen in certain directions. This last part isn't that surprising - the bluish tint on wife's Pixel shifts when you tilt the scree as well.

(2) The colour reproduction on the phone - if you ignore "pure" white - is excellent. Photos, videos etc look great.

(3) The red tint is barely visible in natural light, with the result that the phone screen probably looks at its best when you're in a naturally lit room. Was looking at my phone outside today and the screen was remarkably vivid and - it seemed to me - colour accurate.

Based on all of this - and what I have read about Samsung using new "Deep Red" AMOLED screens for these phones, I suspect that this isn't a defect (from their perspective at least). Instead, it may be the case they opted for redder screens in an effort to make the screens more vivid, and perhaps went too far for most people's tastes (including mine - I'm not a fan of the reddish tinge to white webpages). This doesn't explain why some screens don't appear to show the tint, although that may in part be due to screens being produced in different factories. I also suspect that part of the reason some people don't see the red is that the extent of it depends a little on lighting conditions. I didn't notice it until the second day of owning the phone, and only then in a darkish room with artificial light.

Anyway, time will tell what the source of all of this is. I expect that when the phone launches tomorrow a LOT of people are going to consider the screen too red, and then Samsung is going to have to decide what to do - I can't imagine they (or the carriers) will be keen on mass returns...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, i think im the only one who has had the update so far. I had the red tint on the screen, and it was way worse around the edges - the software update cured it after i adjusted the settings for both the display and the edges. So for those saying it can't be fixed, that's just not true. I can't guarantee it will be the same for everyone, but for my phone (which was badly affected, especially on right edge), it worked great. So don't panic yet, wait for the update and see for yourselves before deciding.
    Check this code to adjust balance *#15987#
    Hola hoy e comprado un s8plus y me a venido con los bordes rojizos y dos roales rojizos a mediana altura qu se notaban bastante lo e llevado a la tienda y lo emos comparado con el de exposicion y se notava muchisimo . La semana que viene me traen otro haver como viene si me sigue llegando mal lo intentare cambiar por otro terminal .me parece vergonzoso que 1 tlf de 900e venga asi. Estoy muy decepcionado x ahora . 1 saludo amigos desde almeria
    And now in ENGLISH!!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T700 met Tapatalk
    YES!
    In Russia, an update became available, it fixed the pink edges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yesterday I exchanged an S8+ with a red-tinted screen for one without the problem, and the difference is striking. Having now had the chance to compare a number of S8 and S8+ screens (the store staff were really helpful and let me play with display settings on a number of phones), I am fairly convinced that there are two types of screens out there. I'm reasonably tech-literate, have owned pretty much every Samsung and Apple phone released in the last five years, and it was clear from day one that my S8+ had a colouration problem. Got the phone on Monday morning and spent three days reading forums, adjusting every setting (including the red-balance via the dialer code), and even consulted with a friend who is an engineer who specializes in screen technologies. After every attempted fix, I still had a phone with a clear red distortion around the edges of the screen (which would become much more pronounced if you changed the viewing angle in certain directions). The new phone has a perfect screen with no sign of a red tint at all. I don't blame Samsung, as this is a new product and problems happen - especially when you are mass producing screens like these. However, unless people have had an opportunity to look at one with the tint and one without side-by-side, probably best to hold off suggesting that any problem is a result of users screwing with their settings, accidentally turning on the blue-light filter, being overly-obsessive about their screens etc. The staff in the store could also see the difference, and admitted the problem immediately. If you're happy keeping the phone on Adaptive Display with the red-levels turned down, that's fine. I wasn't, and I'm very glad I swapped out the phone.