To anyone who is waiting to switch to an ICS Rom

Search This thread

AustinKnight45

Jan 11, 2009
Austin
So there are no unmute/in call issues and gps works, no random reboots? I haven't flashed anything ICS because I'm almost certain with my luck it will cause a nuclear holocaust on my phone.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

xriderx66

Oct 10, 2010
Frisco, TX
So there are no unmute/in call issues and gps works, no random reboots? I haven't flashed anything ICS because I'm almost certain with my luck it will cause a nuclear holocaust on my phone.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

mute/unmute is 100% solved in Passion/Euphoria
GPS works on Passion/Euphoria for sure, but it is a hit or miss, so just try it.
No Random reboots? what is this froyo? NONE of them have random reboots, unless if you know you're actually trying to get them.

Mattymat

Nov 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Is undervolt feature working just like in CM7?
I think I'll wait for ICS 4.0.4, that means a couple of weeks at worst.

Yeah, the undervolting is built into the rom itself. You don't even need any additional software to over and underclock as well as change voltage.

Give it a shot, man. I'm literally averaging 2% battery loss an hour with this rom (that's the same amount i averaged with Bionix 1.3.1).

mat

flapane

Jul 16, 2010
Naples/Dortmund
www.flapane.com
Great!
I'm just waiting for 4.0.4 because of the interesting OS changelog (Galaxy Nexus version):

• Noticeably Faster
  • Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
  • Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
  • New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don’t even notice it changing.
  • Improved signal strength
  • New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom.
  • PRIMELA03 Bootloader
  • Faster boot up time
  • Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
  • Holding down camera button now refocuses again
  • Multitouch issue seems resolved.
  • Autorotate is faster
  • Browser performance noticeably improved
  • Recent apps list opens faster
  • Miscellaneous camera UI changes
  • Increased volume
  • Keyboard fixes
  • Updated News & Weather app UI

P.S
I loved Pat's steaks!

jonen

Jan 11, 2011
Great!
I'm just waiting for 4.0.4 because of the interesting OS changelog (Galaxy Nexus version):

• Noticeably Faster
  • Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
  • Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
  • New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don’t even notice it changing.
  • Improved signal strength
  • New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom.
  • PRIMELA03 Bootloader
  • Faster boot up time
  • Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
  • Holding down camera button now refocuses again
  • Multitouch issue seems resolved.
  • Autorotate is faster
  • Browser performance noticeably improved
  • Recent apps list opens faster
  • Miscellaneous camera UI changes
  • Increased volume
  • Keyboard fixes
  • Updated News & Weather app UI

P.S
I loved Pat's steaks!

those changes definitely make updating to ICS for the vibrant much more desirable... :) hopefully it'll be soon

Tamborine

Sep 9, 2008
My only concern in moving ahead with Google vanilla ROMS are the 911 issues. Has it truly been fixed? I don't want to take that chance when I need to make that call and whoops it doesn't work.

West420

Mar 10, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for making this thread to help make people more aware of the greatness that is ICS. Just the other day I rooted my Vibrant for the first time, then I found ICS Passion 13.1 RC1 and flashed a ROM for the first time. I'm very happy that I went ahead and rooted my phone (I was very skeptical/nervous at first, so I did a little research). After that, I showed my mom and she wanted hers flashed as well! The only problem is that her Tick sounds are extremely low and I have no idea why that is. If anyone knows anything about this problem, please inform me!

ROM: ICS Passion 13.1
Kernel: Yum Yum Good #2

How was my choice for this being my first root/flash?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattymat

jonen

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for making this thread to help make people more aware of the greatness that is ICS. Just the other day I rooted my Vibrant for the first time, then I found ICS Passion 13.1 RC1 and flashed a ROM for the first time. I'm very happy that I went ahead and rooted my phone (I was very skeptical/nervous at first, so I did a little research). After that, I showed my mom and she wanted hers flashed as well! The only problem is that her Tick sounds are extremely low and I have no idea why that is. If anyone knows anything about this problem, please inform me!

not sure what you mean by "tick" but I would check the system volume settings. I personally use an app called quick settings to get my sound options in one quick and easy place

as for your first flash.. if you can't compare to a 100% functional froyo build, any ICS should be great for you :)

gun

Dec 30, 2006
Chicago
My only concern in moving ahead with Google vanilla ROMS are the 911 issues. Has it truly been fixed? I don't want to take that chance when I need to make that call and whoops it doesn't work.

911 still does not work for me. When dial 911 I get only this msg"call ended not connected "

Sent from my T959 using XDA

West420

Mar 10, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
not sure what you mean by "tick" but I would check the system volume settings. I personally use an app called quick settings to get my sound options in one quick and easy place

as for your first flash.. if you can't compare to a 100% functional froyo build, any ICS should be great for you :)

I'm talking about the "Effect_Tick.ogg" sound.
It plays when making selections in menus or when using the keyboard. Check your "/system/media/audio/ui" directory. That's where mine is located, anyway.

Also, I did check the system volume settings, but they do not seem to be the problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Edit: I was able to fix the low UI sounds problem by flashing back to stock, then flashing CM7/ICS13.1 again.

Last edited:

cashyftw

Sep 11, 2010
I miss ics so much. Im on a galaxy s ii right now yes it's super fast and everything but I love ics passion so much. The battery lasted forever on that Rom and this phone can barely do 8 hrs. Also it was just so nice to have ics. Call this an overstatement but im seriously considering about going back to the vibrant because the sgsii has no ics yet.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Same boat as you dude.. exact same boat

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

redhairedscot

Oct 13, 2010
Tried ICS, went back.

For an alternate viewpoint:

I tried three versions of ICS: Passion, Zen, and Euphoria. I had varying experiences with battery life; Zen had relatively outstanding battery life. The experience was smooth as butter, especially in Passion, but I admit to being lucky; my phone overclocks like a mad beast. I tried various kernels and solutions for the GPS problem, including FasterFix, with each of the ROMs.

Today, I'm back on Bionix, because I need reliable GPS. If it weren't for that, I'd be on Euphoria or Zen right now; those devs have done an incredible job. The GPS problems are completely not their fault. Samsung refused to release their GPS source, so there's not much the devs can do.

I wanted ICS to work so badly, and I tried every single GPS fix, but I got tired of CardioTrainer not being able to establish a GPS lock without a full reboot. I could've even lived with that if I had reliable locks consistently after a reboot, but I couldn't even get that. I'm willing to reboot once; I can always reboot while putting on the running shoes, but reboot, test, reboot again doesn't work.

I'll second the hearty recommendation for ICS if you're not a heavy GPS user. The experience was magical; I don't have any urge to get any of the new shiny phones. If you think you've got a solution for GPS that works, try firing up CardioTrainer (or a similar app) and walking or driving around for a while. I'm not sure the devs can ever get that to work; they've been denied tools they need, and the fact that it works at all is astounding.

The upgrade is simple, and it's really easy to Odin back to stock if you're not satisfied. If you're not a CardioTrainer or Navigation nut, it's definitely worth a look. It hurts so badly to be back on Froyo...

Reactions: Mattymat

jnusz

Feb 3, 2011
redhairedscot

I've been running the team HackSung builds since build 16 (currently on build 17) and GPS is working flawlessly for me.

I'll second what everyone else is saying about ICS running like a dream on my vibrant (and I haven't OC'd at all) and battery life being really good. I'm currently running the Icy Glitch v14 b5 kernel and i'm loving my vibrant.

Mattymat

Nov 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's weird to see how randomly GPS works in some cases but it doesn't in other ones.

Most of what makes our experiences different is that we're all running different kernels and have different generation phones. It is weird though. I just try to find the kernel that's most talked about positively and use that. Seems to be the very last kiss 2.2 build.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

flapane

Jul 16, 2010
Naples/Dortmund
www.flapane.com
I mean even people with the same kernel and rom, you can find tons of different experiences... however, Kiss v2.2 seems to be the best pick to choose so far. I don't know what the developer did, but newer kernel builds broke GPS in most cases.

Mattymat

Nov 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm at 2 weeks now (almost) and i'm still having no issues with deep sleep and the speed is still amazing. I refuse to even touch gps since i don't want to nitpicking over something i don't even use. All in all, to everyone reading this thread, the rom is great and is equally as stable as any froyo rom, minus the gps nonsense.

sheffx0r

Nov 2, 2009
ICS 911?

I feel like I've seen this question posed several times (not as much as the GPS issues), but haven't really seen a definitive answer. I'd love to switch over to ICS, and tried ICS Passion awhile back, but the 911 thing is absolutely vital to me.

It's not really something we can test readily, but is there a consensus of 'works' or 'does not work' for the current lineup of roms?

BigPapi999

Oct 6, 2010
my $0.02

Having now become an ardent flasher, I too was waiting for an ICS that delivered the performance and reliability of 2.2 ROMS. A while back I began trying several of the different ICS ROMS (Passion, Zen, Doc's), and while they all have their pros and cons, none could cover all the bases. I really enjoyed the Slim ICS roms, but inevitably, something would be an issue (GPS, 911, deep sleep, battery, etc.). I think they're great and some are just about there, but if you're going to go on vacation, and need everything to work, I would stick with a reliable Froyo rom (bionix, DC9, fishmans bionix). Doesn't mean I won't keep trying them as they come out!:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm talking to everyone who's been reading the ICS threads and progress that's being made to our ICS roms, but has not made the leap for whatever reason.
    I'm speaking to you because I was you, at least until Friday when I finally decided to make the move to Neobuddy's Euphoria RC1 rom.

I quietly followed and read every single thread in the development section relating to our ICS progress, but was constantly reading about the problems with battery life and GPS difficulties.

I decided that after weeks of watching and waiting, I would take the plunge and report about my first 24 hours. I did not want to leave out details, so I took screen shots to show everyone who was like me before, standing on the sidelines, waiting for some magical "Ah ha" moment. Hopefully this will give you confidence in your decision and I can help you out along the way.

To start with, I have one of the first generations of our Vibrant (purchased the month it came out). I also purchased a Epic 4G battery from here about 4 months ago and have been using Bionix 1.3.2 and Deranged9 for as long as I can remember. When I flashed Euphoria, I had an initial problem with the installation where it got hung up at the boot screen (normal for coming from 2.2 roms) and it should also be mentioned that I DID NOT flash a GB Bootloader and had no problems with my recovery or rainbows.

The flash was pretty quick, even with having to reflash the rom twice. Once flashed, everything was pretty smooth from that point forward. I charged my phone up to 100% and calibrated it using the V6 supercharger script . After doing that, I woke up in the morning (I sleep in late on the weekend) and preceded to not only test my phone (GPS, different apps, change settings) but to use it normally (make calls, connect to my car's stereo Bluetooth connection to play music, etc.). The phone was the fastest it had ever been and everything worked as if I was still on my clutch Bionix rom.

The best part about my entire experience was that not only was everything working, but my battery life was out of this world good. I am not exaggerating by any means, and I've included screen shots to quantify my experience. I could not believe that not only did my GPS work after deep sleep (I tested it on multiple of occasions) but my battery was averaging about 2% loss an hour. The other icing on the cake was the fact that I was able to get the highest internet speeds using the stock modem (KB5 I believe).

I'm sorry for the literary diarrhea but I know that there are others like myself who are sitting on the sidelines, waiting for something to push them over the edge, and move onto an ICS based rom. The below is more specific information should you decide to follow what I did to a "T".

Rom: Neobuddy's Euphoria RC1 Rom
    Modem: KB5
    Kernel: ICS_Kissed_20120226.1157
    Tweaks: Captivate GPS Fix
    Battery: 1800mAH Samsung Epic 4G Battery
    Battery Cycles: 1

Screenshot_2012-03-03-01-33-54.png

Screenshot_2012-03-04-12-21-07.png

Screenshot_2012-03-04-12-21-27.png

Screenshot_2012-03-04-12-21-34.png

Hope that helps some people.

- Mat
    i was also on the fence for a good while. i was thinking, 'man, settling for ics just because it's ics isn't for me!' i assumed it was pretty much not usable. i flashed passion first, then euphoria, now i'm on zenwich. all three are about as good as they're gonna get without an official ics, and that's not a diss at all. all three roms i tried are very stable and fast. there's been a few hiccups (laggy app drawer, random force closes), but that's to be expected. and by no means do those things happen often. they've happened maybe three times. as far as battery, i have the 1800mah battery, and my battery life is average. i get about 12hr with moderate to heavy use, and any use less than that i can easily make it through the whole day without worrying about charging. i am outside most of my day though, so i do have brightness almost all the way up. i don't expect miracles with battery life and neither should anyone else. i say for those on the fence about ics, just try it. it's fun and new and mostly everything works without a hitch.

Tried ICS, went back.

For an alternate viewpoint:

I tried three versions of ICS: Passion, Zen, and Euphoria. I had varying experiences with battery life; Zen had relatively outstanding battery life. The experience was smooth as butter, especially in Passion, but I admit to being lucky; my phone overclocks like a mad beast. I tried various kernels and solutions for the GPS problem, including FasterFix, with each of the ROMs.

Today, I'm back on Bionix, because I need reliable GPS. If it weren't for that, I'd be on Euphoria or Zen right now; those devs have done an incredible job. The GPS problems are completely not their fault. Samsung refused to release their GPS source, so there's not much the devs can do.

I wanted ICS to work so badly, and I tried every single GPS fix, but I got tired of CardioTrainer not being able to establish a GPS lock without a full reboot. I could've even lived with that if I had reliable locks consistently after a reboot, but I couldn't even get that. I'm willing to reboot once; I can always reboot while putting on the running shoes, but reboot, test, reboot again doesn't work.

I'll second the hearty recommendation for ICS if you're not a heavy GPS user. The experience was magical; I don't have any urge to get any of the new shiny phones. If you think you've got a solution for GPS that works, try firing up CardioTrainer (or a similar app) and walking or driving around for a while. I'm not sure the devs can ever get that to work; they've been denied tools they need, and the fact that it works at all is astounding.

The upgrade is simple, and it's really easy to Odin back to stock if you're not satisfied. If you're not a CardioTrainer or Navigation nut, it's definitely worth a look. It hurts so badly to be back on Froyo...