Galaxy S5 3G to LTE Hand Off Issues

Search This thread

atg284

Nov 26, 2012
Hello,

I am casting a broad net on the internet here to get a consensus with what is going on with the LTE problem many are having with their S5''s

Does anyone NOT have an issue with their phone going from 3G to LTE then back again. A lot of people (including myself) have to toggle airplane mode on/off just to pick up LTE. It does not automatically connect for some reason.

For added information, I am in a non LTE launched city but have been testing by a known LTE tower. when I drive up to it the S5 will not switch over to LTE. When I toggle airplane mode it works.

I guess long story short. Is there anyone out there that does not have this issue?

Thanks a ton for any information!

Assassin5150

Feb 17, 2010
I don't have that problem I always have LTE unless I travel far out of the city which is normal with all the LTE phones I have had.

zohaer21

Nov 23, 2004
Hello,

I am casting a broad net on the internet here to get a consensus with what is going on with the LTE problem many are having with their S5''s

Does anyone NOT have an issue with their phone going from 3G to LTE then back again. A lot of people (including myself) have to toggle airplane mode on/off just to pick up LTE. It does not automatically connect for some reason.

For added information, I am in a non LTE launched city but have been testing by a known LTE tower. when I drive up to it the S5 will not switch over to LTE. When I toggle airplane mode it works.

I guess long story short. Is there anyone out there that does not have this issue?

yup .. same here .. sometimes have to restart to get the data going on again .. airplane mode works and not works for me...

CalInTheZone

Dec 23, 2008
Copenhagen
Hello,

Think it's an issue with your provider, I've tried LTE/3G with four different providers here in Denmark without any problems.

sporklover

Nov 12, 2007
Hello,

I do not believe it is actively searching for a LTE signal all the time. It takes a min or two for my phone to pick up a LTE signal once I'm in a known coverage area. I've done the airplane mode toggle before as well..... It forces the signal search right away.

Reactions: atg284

atg284

Nov 26, 2012
I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I am on sprint. I will be going into a launched LTE city here today and will do more testing.

sporklover

Nov 12, 2007
I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I am on sprint. I will be going into a launched LTE city here today and will do more testing.

Yeah I'm a Sprint user too. All of my Sprint LTE devices have behaved similarly. It takes a few minutes of being in a known LTE coverage area before my phones (both IOS and Android) would connect. Its because the radio isn't actively searching all the time.... I'm not sure what the actual search interval is, but it's not constant. And again my Iphones behaved just the same as my current S5.

My Evo 4G was constantly searching for a wimax signal when I wasnt in a coverage area.... it really sapped the battery because that radio was always on the hunt for that wimax signal.

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
I don't have this issue, however on one occasion at work I lost 4g signal which is usually at 2 bars, and it sat there and didnt connect to 4g again until I did airplane mode, then it came back fine. But this is the one and only time I have had the issue.

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
this is a sprint issue

you need to wait until they finialy decide to update their towers to handle the new triband phones, they claim they will be done with all the updates by the middle of the summer, i got sick out their sub-par coverage and took all my lines over to verizon... no regrets

details about their issues are here, it is a long read but good:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

Jaypoc

Aug 29, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.jaypoc.com
S5 LTE Hand-off Loss of Signal

I'm a Sprint customer on Long Island, New York and I've been having the issues as well. I had to deactivate the S5 because it would lose data and even phone service sporadically without any warning. Sprint's solution is to go into Airplane mode for 5 minutes then back, but that's 5 minutes without service after noticing that the service is gone (and losing how many calls/messages). My girlfriend has one too and probably misses about half her calls (and texts come in late constantly) What happens in an emergency? I recently blogged about this. Isn't Sprint opening themselves up to liability by selling the phones while these issues are known internally?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Does anyone NOT have an issue with their phone going from 3G to LTE then back again. A lot of people

You didn't do a forum search or you would already know that it doesn't affect everyone. There are myriad threads about this and the concensus is that it is carrier dependent.

Open a support ticket with your carrier. Also, the 4.4.3 update is said to address this bug, so that is something that you might want to look into.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I do not believe it is actively searching for a LTE signal all the time. It takes a min or two for my phone to pick up a LTE signal once I'm in a known coverage area. I've done the airplane mode toggle before as well..... It forces the signal search right away.