[MOD] Low-RAM Property Patcher for Android

Search This thread

Pitrecha

Dec 2, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S8
Hey, I installed on my xperia M2 with 7.1.2 Resurrection Remix RC3.
I did not notice that the phone would slow down or speed up.
Android go applications work.
I have more free RAM memory. Now between 300-400mb. Where before 200-250, in a phone that has 860mb RAM xd
I think that the battery will work a few extra hours.
I need to check on my SP.
Thanks for the work.

Reactions: mj25m

1lyharry

Oct 19, 2016
Is this patch any useful for devices with more ram?. Like it saves battery or something
Or it simply reduces RAM usage at the cost of more cpu cycles?
Can someone clarify this?

joeyhuab

Recognized Developer
Quick heads up. Observed some changes with the Play Store. With low ram enabled, Play Store shows app sizes as well as Android (Go edition) apps in a new card in the Play Store's home screen. It also downloads updates to Google apps as the Go edition app. For example, when I downloaded the Gboard update, it downloaded the Gboard Go version. The screenshot shows the Play Store with Low RAM enabled and the one without it. Seems pretty cool.

Edit: Added comparison of Gboard and Gboard Go's RAM consumption. @AdrianDC you should see this!

Attachments

• 27042951_10215129454011182_2041603564_n.jpg
    27042951_10215129454011182_2041603564_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 6,383
  • 27044751_10215129452091134_1593316968_n.jpg
    27044751_10215129452091134_1593316968_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 6,331
  • Screenshot_Settings_20180121-142633.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180121-142633.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 6,391
  • Screenshot_Settings_20180122-155949.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180122-155949.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 6,285
Last edited:

zurik

Aug 31, 2014
ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ
Is this patch any useful for devices with more ram?. Like it saves battery or something
Or it simply reduces RAM usage at the cost of more cpu cycles?
Can someone clarify this?
My Nexus 5X uses 2GB of RAM and it works. Before this patch, I had 600MB to 400MB free RAM but now 900 to 700MB

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Quick heads up. Observed some changes with the Play Store. With low ram enabled, Play Store shows app sizes as well as Android (Go edition) apps in a new card in the Play Store's home screen. It also downloads updates to Google apps as the Go edition app. For example, when I downloaded the Gboard update, it downloaded the Gboard Go version. The screenshot shows the Play Store with Low RAM enabled and the one without it. Seems pretty cool.

Edit: Added comparison of Gboard and Gboard Go's RAM consumption. @AdrianDC you should see this!
How did you got the Gboard Go?

Reactions: jugoslavpetrovic

joeyhuab

Recognized Developer
My Nexus 5X uses 2GB of RAM and it works. Before this patch, I had 600MB to 400MB free RAM but now 900 to 700MB

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

How did you got the Gboard Go?

As I said above, when I restarted the Play Store, it seems like it server-side updated to show that it's for Android Go. So when I normally updated Gboard, it updated into Gboard Go.

Paget96

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 29, 2013
Krusevac
Is there any use of flashing this on 3gb ram devices,or this is strictly for low ram devices?
Thanks for your work,though. :)
You can use it on 8GB device also, after that device will act as the same as low end device in case of the restricted stuff. :)

Does this mod could work on Nougat ROM? I'd like to give a try to my old nexus 7
It works on any KK+ device.
This will break ota updates?
Nope, it's a default android property, nothing patched or modified. :)
May you make a Magisk module of this Mod?
Thank you.
If you really need this on your device, you can do it from L Speed. Link in my signature. (You can find that option under RAM Manager.

Tathagata Nandi

Oct 27, 2016
works for any device!!?

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

device not booting up after flashing. it comes back to boot logo everytime.
please help!!!
running on :- lineage os 15.1
device:- moto e(condor)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

About the project
    Low-RAM Property Patcher is made to give Android Oreo users an easy control
    over the low-ram property from the Go configuration, responsible for the UI changes of Go.

Its purpose is to simply enable or disable the low-ram property from the build.prop,
    but also to retain this user decision through the ROM upgrades (new releases, OTA)...

Users just need to flash the patcher to enable or disable the low-ram property on their system,
    and to ensure the future ROM upgrades will retain this choice, just like GApps thanks to backuptool.

Developers should get less requests to compile with or without Go just because one user
    wants to have a feature (multitasking for example) re-enabled or to force low-ram changes.

The target system is Oreo, but the low-ram property was introduced since Android KitKat 4.4,
    therefore it should work on other versions, unless the ROM developers (official Stock OEM, custom ROMs, ...)
    did not validate the low-RAM UI changes (recent apps UI mostly) against the additions they made.

Features affected by the low-ram property: Flat recent / multitasking UI,
    multi-users disabled, high-end graphics disabled, less recent apps cache,
    multi-windows disabled, minor notification icons changes, less logger buffer sizes (devs),
    no apps notifications access / zen access / VR listeners / picture in picture (PIP) accesses.​

Downloads (Custom / patched ROMs only)
    android_lowram_[enabler/disabler].zip : Download from MEGA

Other related useful projects
    Android Bootimage ADB Unsecure Patcher - http://xdaforums.com/-/-t3618558

Source code
    Project sources: Standalone scripts built around backuptool​

Low-RAM Property Patcher created also thanks to :
    - Everyone involved in testing it​

XDA:DevDB Information
    Low-RAM Property Patcher, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
    AdrianDC

Version Information

Created 2018-01-18
    Last Updated 2020-08-15
    Reserved

Changelog
    Code:
    Low-RAM Property Patcher - 18/01/2018
    ======================================
    * Initial public release on XDA

Related Low-RAM UI differences
    This only works for Oreo ROMs as SystemUI crashed when tried in Nougat ROMs.

It will work on Nougat or 4.4+ regardless, only if the ROM officials developers or the custom ROM maintainers ever tested the low-ram property UI changes or if it's barebone AOSP.

Sony for instance did not test it on their brand new Stock Oreo (tested on Xperia X Performance) and the recent apps UI crashes SystemUI as the specific UI was not adapted / tested with their additions. Clearly such devices were never meant to see the light of that property but it's an interesting fact.
    If any of you notice a new Go-Edition Google app after using this mod, don't forget to tip it to the XDA Portal! If you do and we make an article, you get a free month of XDA Ad-Free :)
    I downloaded and tried to install the Zip file
    I got a Error: "Update process ended with signal: 4 "
    I am running AICP-12.1-N 7.1.2 as my ROM, but not rooted.
    Appreciate any ideas or suggestions

i am succed and change /system/build.prop with permision 600 (--r-w-) edited line from ro.config.low_ram=false to ro.config.low_ram=true .
    so can not install android_lowram_enabler.zip in twrp 3.0.1 !?
    how fix problem and install ?
    ---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

i am succed in and edit /system/ build.prop but not install !
    when installing in twrp show faild and see error signal 4 massage in log ...!?

Same as beirei, I too have executing error. At least in TWRP 2.8.7.2, TWRP 3.2.1.-0 gives me signal 4 error.
    Wanted to try it with PAC-man 4.4.4.

For anyone having the Signal 4 error on their devices. I have found and corrected the problem. Has to do with the updater-binary file and the META INF. Why this happens to some devices, not sure. See attached file to this post. Let me know if this works or not. Worked for my device that was facing this error.