Would it be possible to root my sg2 USCC version of Epic4gtouch.

Search This thread

themac79

Nov 2, 2011
I was looking at the auto root for FB15 and was wanting to know if it would work for my phone, Android version: 2.3.6, Baseband: S:R760.01 K.FB14. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

themac79

Nov 2, 2011
I've tried the ek02 autoroot three times and it's not able to push the files. SuperOneClick didn't work either.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using xda premium

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
I was looking at the auto root for FB15 and was wanting to know if it would work for my phone, Android version: 2.3.6, Baseband: S:R760.01 K.FB14. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The fb15 on this phone is ics so not going to work on your GB ROM .....maybe steady Hawkin can make you a kernel to root it with Odin ....all you have to do is ask him he may do it
He may port cwm for you too don't hurt to ask
Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: themac79

themac79

Nov 2, 2011
The fb15 on this phone is ics so not going to work on your GB ROM .....maybe steady Hawkin can make you a kernel to root it with Odin ....all you have to do is ask him he may do it

That would be great! Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

pablotweek

Mar 9, 2011
not working

from what I hear zergrush no longer works in 2.3.6. I tried manually installing but it fails on the USCC GS2 (SCH-R760)

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
[+] Found a Samsung, running Samsung mode
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sleeping a bit (~40s)...
[*] Waking !
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sleeping a bit (~40s)...
[*] Waking !
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !

Margey

Mar 4, 2012
mostly working

So I tried it with my SCH-R760 SGS2 I was able to get root boot recovery. Having the FB14 kernel would make this a snap however the Epic 4g Touch is so close it mostly worked. I seem to have intermittent wifi problems but everything else appears to work without issue.

I got the kernel from step two WISHLINK:wiki.rootzwiki.com/index.php/Samsung_Epic_4G_Touch or directly WISHLINK:goo-inside.me/epic4gtouch/kernel/acs-eb30-clockwork-epic-touch-4g-sep-20-4-00-pm.tar

I tried sweet talking USCC, evidently I'm not as charming as I think I am they told me I'm screwed and don't yet have the re-image. However, the above has the phone working and rooted minus a few problems with wifi.

Good luck.

Reactions: themac79

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
So I tried it with my SCH-R760 SGS2 I was able to get root boot recovery. Having the FB14 kernel would make this a snap however the Epic 4g Touch is so close it mostly worked. I seem to have intermittent wifi problems but everything else appears to work without issue.

I got the kernel from step two WISHLINK:wiki.rootzwiki.com/index.php/Samsung_Epic_4G_Touch or directly WISHLINK:goo-inside.me/epic4gtouch/kernel/acs-eb30-clockwork-epic-touch-4g-sep-20-4-00-pm.tar

I tried sweet talking USCC, evidently I'm not as charming as I think I am they told me I'm screwed and don't yet have the re-image. However, the above has the phone working and rooted minus a few problems with wifi.

Good luck.
If you can get the E4GT kernel to boot on your phone then just use it to install su onto your ROM (/system), then put back your original USCC kernel and you'll be rooted with everything working.

So basically if your adb shell has a "#" prompt, you can just use Auto Root Option A on your phone and install root onto your phone's ROM. Just ignore the zergrush status, even though it fails, the script is still smart enough to install root onto your rom in your situation.

Then to get your original kernel back, figure out which partition has the recovery.bin, which is an unused mirror of your original kernel/zImage.

In the case of E4GT, this is partition /dev/block/mmcblk0p6

To get the mirror of your zImage type the following in adb shell
Code:
cd /sdcard
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=zImage bs=256 count=32765

Now it is very important that the partition you chose above is really the recovery.bin partition, otherwise the file you just created will essentially be junk and won't allow you to boot your phone (ie *IF* you installed it, your phone *would not boot*)

Assuming you had the correct partition, to install it as your running kernel, you can do
Code:
cd /sdcard
dd if=zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=256 count=32765

Please don't go jumping into this unless you fully understand what I suggested.

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR PHONE UNBOOTABLE IF YOU DO THINGS WRONG.

I don't have your phone and the partitions could be different, so I'm depending on you to figure out if things don't make sense.

If you are unsure, ask questions before doing anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: themac79 and Margey

Margey

Mar 4, 2012
While I'm just understanding partitions and the like I'm able to follow your instructions but the *IF* parts I'd like to question.

I have:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
and
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

I'm not sure how this correlates to the recovery.bin unless it is apart of one of those files. So for the SCH-R760 with FB14 I'd be looking for how to verify this. I can easily run the suggested lines and looks like everything is there. However to get this far it's been several hours and I'm a bit gun shy as I have to work tomorrow and actually need my phone. Again thank you for the suggestions and help. I'm very close. Everything but wifi is working and very well.

ironfisted

Aug 23, 2011
did anyone try flashing the cwm from the touch. it should work because the mount points line up the same. if so i can finish the ics rom and give it to who ever is willing to try

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

If you can get the E4GT kernel to boot on your phone then just use it to install su onto your ROM (/system), then put back your original USCC kernel and you'll be rooted with everything working.

So basically if your adb shell has a "#" prompt, you can just use Auto Root Option A on your phone and install root onto your phone's ROM. Just ignore the zergrush status, even though it fails, the script is still smart enough to install root onto your rom in your situation.

Then to get your original kernel back, figure out which partition has the recovery.bin, which is an unused mirror of your original kernel/zImage.

Code:
cd /sdcard

Now it is very important that the partition you chose above is really the recovery.bin partition, otherwise the file you just created will essentially be junk and won't allow you to boot your phone (ie *IF* you installed it, your phone *would not boot*)

Assuming you had the correct partition, to install it as your running kernel, you can do
Code:
cd /sdcard

I don't have your phone and the partitions could be different, so I'm depending on you to figure out if things don't make sense.

Here is a mount print out of the sgs2 from uscc that i had someone give me.
http://pastebin.com/k0nXEcKt

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Can't they just odin flash or heimdall flash the kernel/recovery in, that would be easier, then they truly don't have to root the rom first.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Can't they just odin flash or heimdall flash the kernel/recovery in, that would be easier, then they truly don't have to root the rom first.
They already did that. That is why they have rooted adb through the kernel. The issue is they are using an Epic 4G Touch kernel which causes some things to not work on their phone. I am suggesting they install their root functionality in the ROM and restore their original USCC kernel/zImage.

Since (according to them) they don't have a package to return to stock, basically they don't have a kernel/zImage to flash in ODIN because it was never provided to them.

Their original kernel/zImage is gone because they flashed over it (presumably before backing it up). That is why I gave them instructions to pull the backup kernel/zImage. Once they do that, whether they install that zImage within Android or through ODIN is not really important. The important part is they get the correct partition to use to pull the backup from so that they have a valid kernel/zImage to flash.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

While I'm just understanding partitions and the like I'm able to follow your instructions but the *IF* parts I'd like to question.

I have:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
and
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

I'm not sure how this correlates to the recovery.bin unless it is apart of one of those files. So for the SCH-R760 with FB14 I'd be looking for how to verify this. I can easily run the suggested lines and looks like everything is there. However to get this far it's been several hours and I'm a bit gun shy as I have to work tomorrow and actually need my phone. Again thank you for the suggestions and help. I'm very close. Everything but wifi is working and very well.
Based on the previous pastebin that was posted it looks like the partitions on the USCC GS2 line up with the Sprint E4GT so it should be safe to run what I suggested.

Both /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 are linux device files that map to partitions in your phone's EMMC memory.

mmcblk0p5 is labeled zImage (on Sprint) and mmcblk0p6 is labeled recovery.bin (on Sprint). They have the exact same contents. zImage is the kernel and recovery for your phone.

recovery.bin is not being used (on Sprint) so it basically ends up being a backup of your zImage/kernel. Since you overwrote your USCC zImage with the Sprint E4GT zImage (presumably before backing it up) you cannot recover the original from your phone using the partition assigned to zImage.

I am suggesting you retrieve your original zImage from what is essentially a backup in the partition labeled recovery.bin (mmcblk0p6). This can then be installed in your zImage partition (mmcblk0p5) either directly through Android or through ODIN.

Once you create the zImage file as above, keep a copy off your phone on your PC just in case.

The whole purpose of putting back your original USCC zImage/kernel is so all the features work again, but since your root was achieved through the kernel, putting back the original zImage/kernel would cause you to lose root. That is why I suggested, prior to putting back the original USCC kernel, you install persistent root inside your ROM (ie /system)

You can do that by running Auto Root - Option A and ignoring the Blue Hellions error. If your adb is rooted as you described above, Auto Root will still install persistent root in your ROM despite the failure of the zergrush exploit. Once you install the persistent root in your ROM, you can restore the original USCC kernel/zImage and still have root for your applications. You can confirm that Auto Root - Option A did its job by typing:
Code:
ls -l /system/xbin/su
and verifying su is there and it has the proper permissions. If you are unsure, post the output and I can confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Margey

ironfisted

Aug 23, 2011
What didn't work? maybe its a matter of the rom difference that makes stuff not work. Just an idea. I was thinking of porting the ics rom over to the sgs2 for them.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
What didn't work? maybe its a matter of the rom difference that makes stuff not work. Just an idea. I was thinking of porting the ics rom over to the sgs2 for them.
As mentioned by Margey's post, the wifi wasn't working well. wifi drivers are in the kernel. Margey installed just the kernel/recovery, not the ROM.

Last edited:

themac79

Nov 2, 2011
I just wanted to thank everyone for their help it is very much appreciated. I'm going to try what sfhub posted. I still have my stock kernel since I've been working and haven't had time to do anything. I will try and make a copy of my stock kernel. Can I push superuser into my rom using adb or do I need to flash the Epic 4G's kernel then push superuser and then flash my stock kernel back.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using xda premium

Margey

Mar 4, 2012
eureka

They already did that. That is why they have rooted adb through the kernel. The issue is they are using an Epic 4G Touch kernel which causes some things to not work on their phone. I am suggesting they install their root functionality in the ROM and restore their original USCC kernel/zImage.

Since (according to them) they don't have a package to return to stock, basically they don't have a kernel/zImage to flash in ODIN because it was never provided to them.

Their original kernel/zImage is gone because they flashed over it (presumably before backing it up). That is why I gave them instructions to pull the backup kernel/zImage. Once they do that, whether they install that zImage within Android or through ODIN is not really important. The important part is they get the correct partition to use to pull the backup from so that they have a valid kernel/zImage to flash.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Based on the previous pastebin that was posted it looks like the partitions on the USCC GS2 line up with the Sprint E4GT so it should be safe to run what I suggested.

Both /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 are linux device files that map to partitions in your phone's EMMC memory.

mmcblk0p5 is labeled zImage (on Sprint) and mmcblk0p6 is labeled recovery.bin (on Sprint). They have the exact same contents. zImage is the kernel and recovery for your phone.

recovery.bin is not being used (on Sprint) so it basically ends up being a backup of your zImage/kernel. Since you overwrote your USCC zImage with the Sprint E4GT zImage (presumably before backing it up) you cannot recover the original from your phone using the partition assigned to zImage.

I am suggesting you retrieve your original zImage from what is essentially a backup in the partition labeled recovery.bin (mmcblk0p6). This can then be installed in your zImage partition (mmcblk0p5) either directly through Android or through ODIN.

Once you create the zImage file as above, keep a copy off your phone on your PC just in case.

The whole purpose of putting back your original USCC zImage/kernel is so all the features work again, but since your root was achieved through the kernel, putting back the original zImage/kernel would cause you to lose root. That is why I suggested, prior to putting back the original USCC kernel, you install persistent root inside your ROM (ie /system)

You can do that by running Auto Root - Option A and ignoring the Blue Hellions error. If your adb is rooted as you described above, Auto Root will still install persistent root in your ROM despite the failure of the zergrush exploit. Once you install the persistent root in your ROM, you can restore the original USCC kernel/zImage and still have root for your applications. You can confirm that Auto Root - Option A did its job by typing:
Code:
ls -l /system/xbin/su
and verifying su is there and it has the proper permissions. If you are unsure, post the output and I can confirm.

I doubled checked su, good. Re-ran the image per your suggestion, all good. I have wifi, I have 3G, I have phone and I have root and CWM.

Thank you.

themac79

Nov 2, 2011
I have been trying to use the auto-root method after installing the recovery kernel and it keeps saying waiting for device to connect? How can I get it to see my device?

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I have been trying to use the auto-root method after installing the recovery kernel and it keeps saying waiting for device to connect? How can I get it to see my device?
You can actually just copy the files to your sdcard and run the script by hand, but the specific reason it is waiting for your phone is because ADB cannot see your phone.

That might be because you haven't enabled USB debugging. It might be because of driver problem. It could be because your ##8778# setting is incorrect.

Have you ever been able to use "adb" with your phone?

themac79

Nov 2, 2011
You can actually just copy the files to your sdcard and run the script by hand, but the specific reason it is waiting for your phone is because ADB cannot see your phone.

That might be because you haven't enabled USB debugging. It might be because of driver problem. It could be because your ##8778# setting is incorrect.

Have you ever been able to use "adb" with your phone?

I finally got it, the problem was I was missing a driver for my phone. Now I'm trying to make a copy of my stock kernel using your instructions but for some reason when I type cd /sdcard it says it can't find the path specified. It shows my device listed, I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Wait..do you mean to use my phone to make a copy?

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I finally got it, the problem was I was missing a driver for my phone. Now I'm trying to make a copy of my stock kernel using your instructions but for some reason when I type cd /sdcard it says it can't find the path specified. It shows my device listed, I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Are you doing that from an "adb shell"?

You can replace with "cd /data/local/tmp", it can really be any directory where you have write permissions.

If you want to be more bold, you can skip the step of creating a zImage file and write directly from the recovery.bin partition into the zImage partition. The zImage file is nice because if you screw things up and your phone won't boot, you can still use ODIN to flash the zImage (assuming you moved it to your PC)

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=256 count=32765

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Inspired by the above enthusiasm, I put together a quick package to simplify rooting for your phone (if I had a phone to use, I could put together something even simpler)

Keep in mind, I'm doing this all "blind" since I don't have a phone. This procedure might not work, but should be pretty close to working. With some feedback I can fix it up quickly.

Thanks - chris41g for EK02+CWM zImage, themac79 for FB14 zImage, Margey for testing and helping work out root procedure

1) download the USCC rooting package [USCCROOT-sfx.exe]

2) extract the files
    USCCROOT-sfx.exe is a 7zip self-extractor that contains all the files you'll need. Just double-click in windows and specify where you want to extract, we'll assume C:\

3) connect phone to PC
    make sure USB drivers are installed
    enable USB debugging (menu->settings->applications->development)

4) install E4GT EK02 kernel+CWM using ODIN OneClick
    double-click on C:\USCCROOT\e4gtauto-sfx.exe
    double-click on C:\USCCROOT\SPH-D710.EK02_KERNEL_CWM-OneClick.exe (thanks chris41g for zImage)
    E4GTAUTO: select Option E (Extra Options), then Option H (Reboot to ODIN Download Mode), press any key to continue, then select Option J (Previous Menu)
    ODIN-OC: Wait until yellow COM port shows up in ODIN OneClick window
    ODIN-OC: Press Start on the ODIN OneClick screen
    Phone will reboot when done
    ODIN-OC: Close the ODIN OneClick window

5) Install persistent root
    E4GTAUTO: select Option A (Install Root)
    E4GTAUTO: when done, press any key to reboot, then any key to continue

6) install USCC FB14 kernel using ODIN OneClick
    double-click on C:\USCCROOT\SCH-R760.FB14_KERNEL-OneClick.exe (thanks themac79 for zImage)
    E4GTAUTO: select Option E (Extra Options), then Option H (Reboot to ODIN Download Mode), press any key to continue
    ODIN-OC: Wait until yellow COM port shows up in ODIN OneClick window
    ODIN-OC: Press Start on the ODIN OneClick screen
    Phone will reboot when done
    ODIN-OC: Close the ODIN OneClick window

7) you are done
    E4GTAUTO: select Option K (Exit)

Good luck.

Code:
    cd /sdcard

Code:
    cd /sdcard

mostly working

Good luck.

I have:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6
    and
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

Code:
    ls -l /system/xbin/su