Really interested in this phone!

Search This thread

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
Ok, so I can do the EDGE program and get the M8. I have been reading and reading just about everything here. I am coming from an S3, and before that I had an HTC Rezound which I loved (love the S3 too) I just remember it being a little tricky to get S off on the Rezzy.....paperclip and timer needed. I was never able to do it. I was able to unlock through HTC Dev, but I understand that is not possible for this phone.

I am not all that good with adb etc.I know just enough to get into trouble :) I have been flashing phones and tablets for years, only one HTC tho (and I really didn't need s off at the time) The 3 samsung phones I have had in the past, Fascinate, Droid Charge and the S3 were fairly simple to root and flash roms.

I guess I'm just a little nervous about the commands and putting the files in the correct folders. One of the main reasons I want this phone is because of the removable memory (hard to come by these days) and the fact that I can still mod my phone. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

cvondra

Nov 29, 2007
Root and S-Off Ridiculously easy. Follow the guides, copy/paste adb commands and that's it. There is NO tricky timing issues etc. It's all very straight forward. But I would get one and not piss around before they block the exploit.

Ok, so I can do the EDGE program and get the M8. I have been reading and reading just about everything here. I am coming from an S3, and before that I had an HTC Rezound which I loved (love the S3 too) I just remember it being a little tricky to get S off on the Rezzy.....paperclip and timer needed. I was never able to do it. I was able to unlock through HTC Dev, but I understand that is not possible for this phone.

I am not all that good with adb etc.I know just enough to get into trouble :) I have been flashing phones and tablets for years, only one HTC tho (and I really didn't need s off at the time) The 3 samsung phones I have had in the past, Fascinate, Droid Charge and the S3 were fairly simple to root and flash roms.

I guess I'm just a little nervous about the commands and putting the files in the correct folders. One of the main reasons I want this phone is because of the removable memory (hard to come by these days) and the fact that I can still mod my phone. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The directions for firewater(to get s-off) are pretty straight forward and I think some one had made a video too. Look into it if you are unsure but you should be able to do it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: putney1477

MaverickCoast

May 11, 2009
Illinois
My take.....Galaxy S3 vs. HTC One M8

Putney, I came from a S3, and I'll give you my take.

The Galaxy 3 is a really great phone with many ways to tweak it. The HTC One M8 is still somewhat new, so you don't see as many tweaks you can do to the HTC as you could the S3. I haven't tried any of the few ROMs that are available for the HTC because I think the stock ROM runs really nice. It's not only smooth, but with the phone's faster processor, you'll notice it moves along faster than the S3. This is not to say these ROMs being developed aren't worth checking out. Obviously with more time, developers will come up with more and more options!

With the new Kit Kat that is installed on the HTC, you will have to install a workaround so you can use an Ext. Card as a storage device, because Kit Kat has enacted safeguards to only allow access to certain programs. I got mine to work, so it is possible to do. Of course you'll have to go through other steps to allow you to "free up' your HTC.

The sound is definitely better on the HTC with two speakers! The screen is bigger and looks great.

A big negative I've found, is the fact you can't access the battery. I liked the fact with the S3, you could change to a bigger battery size so your phone would last longer. My S3, with my new upgraded battery, lasted up to a day and a half. I don't think the HTC can even make it 24hrs. The HTC has a feature that you'll have to patch in yourself, or it comes with the new update, called "Extreme Power Savings Mode" that is supposed to save the battery. I just installed it yesterday, so I haven't used it enough to report on it.

Generally speaking, though, I'm glad that I went to the HTC. It obviously has other great features that I haven't touched on and the reviews I've read have been very positive. Never thought I'd give up my Samsung, but it looks like I made a good choice!

Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
Putney, I came from a S3, and I'll give you my take.

The Galaxy 3 is a really great phone with many ways to tweak it. The HTC One M8 is still somewhat new, so you don't see as many tweaks you can do to the HTC as you could the S3. I haven't tried any of the few ROMs that are available for the HTC because I think the stock ROM runs really nice. It's not only smooth, but with the phone's faster processor, you'll notice it moves along faster than the S3. This is not to say these ROMs being developed aren't worth checking out. Obviously with more time, developers will come up with more and more options!

With the new Kit Kat that is installed on the HTC, you will have to install a workaround so you can use an Ext. Card as a storage device, because Kit Kat has enacted safeguards to only allow access to certain programs. I got mine to work, so it is possible to do. Of course you'll have to go through other steps to allow you to "free up' your HTC.

The sound is definitely better on the HTC with two speakers! The screen is bigger and looks great.

A big negative I've found, is the fact you can't access the battery. I liked the fact with the S3, you could change to a bigger battery size so your phone would last longer. My S3, with my new upgraded battery, lasted up to a day and a half. I don't think the HTC can even make it 24hrs. The HTC has a feature that you'll have to patch in yourself, or it comes with the new update, called "Extreme Power Savings Mode" that is supposed to save the battery. I just installed it yesterday, so I haven't used it enough to report on it.

Generally speaking, though, I'm glad that I went to the HTC. It obviously has other great features that I haven't touched on and the reviews I've read have been very positive. Never thought I'd give up my Samsung, but it looks like I made a good choice!

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks so much for your input!! This helps a lot! I will miss the removable battery....but I have chargers EVERYWHERE! I work at a school, there is one taped to my desk :) It is the same charger as my s3 right? I think they are all micro USB at this point.

When you said there is a workaround to free up the sd card, does that mean that I cant put my pics, videos and music on it?

Thanks again!

After I go to court today to evict a tenant, I will need serious retail therapy (yes I'm a chick) this phone is the therapy I need :)

Thanks again!!!

I watched ROOTJUNKY's you tube videos for installing weaksauce and firewater, looks pretty straightforward to me. Just need to roll up my sleeves and dive in!

Last edited:

MaverickCoast

May 11, 2009
Illinois
To store pics, videos, and other files to the Ext Card, you WILL have to apply the workaround to your phone for you to do that. You can find it on Play Store. It's called: SD Fix: Kit Kat rewritable.

It requires root, so do all the other things before you install this.

Reactions: putney1477

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007
Battery isn't an issue. Took phone off charger at 5:30am and now it's 11:40am and I have 81% battery using Bluetooth, 4g lte connection, etc. This phone easily lasts people over 24hrs without using any battery save mode. Now if u play with it all day well come on, battery will drain slower with all the on screen time and what ur doing, that's any device. If u use this phone as a phone and some YouTube vids, FB, Twitter, tapatalk, some internet surfing, some dead trigger 2 gameplay, this phone will last you from when u woke up til u at least get home at night. It's that good! If you use battery save mode it will lasts longer! Extreme battery save mode haven't tested cud well, haven't needed it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root and S-Off Ridiculously easy. Follow the guides, copy/paste adb commands and that's it. There is NO tricky timing issues etc. It's all very straight forward. But I would get one and not piss around before they block the exploit.

Thanks!
    The directions for firewater(to get s-off) are pretty straight forward and I think some one had made a video too. Look into it if you are unsure but you should be able to do it.

To store pics, videos, and other files to the Ext Card, you WILL have to apply the workaround to your phone for you to do that. You can find it on Play Store. It's called: SD Fix: Kit Kat rewritable.

It requires root, so do all the other things before you install this.