[Q] Build.prop tweaks don't stick, reset when I reboot

Search This thread

xWhiskey

Nov 26, 2012
Hi,

I'm pretty sure this problem could be common to all rooted devices, so I'm posting it in the general Q&A.

Basically, I would like to experiment with some build.prop tweaks I found around other XDA topics. I'm sure all of you know about the general tweaking of the said file, so I won't get into too much detail about it.

However, the changes just don't stick. They reset to default every time I reboot, as if the build.prop file never changed. So, how do I make them stick?

Phone details:

Phone: Xperia X8
ROM: FroyoPro v2.5
Kernel: Stock (can't unlock the bootloader, unfortunately)

xWhiskey

Nov 26, 2012
Are you saving before exiting?

Of course! I even double-check if the changes were still there by opening the modified build.prop after the work is done. For the changes I used Root Browser Lite with the Text Editor pre-installed inside. This method does work well, as I used it to modify hw_config parameters related to governors a couple of weeks back.

I've read somewhere that sometimes changes aren't possible if the kernel is stock. Could that be the case here?

If not, are there any other methods I could use to modify build.prop?

sircrisp

Jan 21, 2013
Of course! I even double-check if the changes were still there by opening the modified build.prop after the work is done. For the changes I used Root Browser Lite with the Text Editor pre-installed inside. This method does work well, as I used it to modify hw_config parameters related to governors a couple of weeks back.

I've read somewhere that sometimes changes aren't possible if the kernel is stock. Could that be the case here?

If not, are there any other methods I could use to modify build.prop?

A quick google caused me to find this thread and I too am having the same problem. I'm currently trying to edit my build.prop to unlock games which say they are incompatible. I'm using ES File Explorer and the built in text editor to edit and save the .prop file, I check if the changes have saved before rebooting my phone but when I turn it back on it has reverted back to stock.

xWhiskey

Nov 26, 2012
A quick google caused me to find this thread and I too am having the same problem. I'm currently trying to edit my build.prop to unlock games which say they are incompatible. I'm using ES File Explorer and the built in text editor to edit and save the .prop file, I check if the changes have saved before rebooting my phone but when I turn it back on it has reverted back to stock.

Check if your ROM has a dual build.prop file. If one exists in system/bin, you ought to edit that one for the change to stick. This solved the issue for me, and might solve it for you.

If it isn't there, try using search, and if you find another one somewhere else then try editing that one. A simple matter, but apparently easily missed :)

sabreem

Jun 18, 2010
Check if your ROM has a dual build.prop file. If one exists in system/bin, you ought to edit that one for the change to stick. This solved the issue for me, and might solve it for you.

If it isn't there, try using search, and if you find another one somewhere else then try editing that one. A simple matter, but apparently easily missed :)

I'm here to wake this thread up, because I'm having this same issue and I can't seem to find any duplicate build.prop file...

Anyone having a good suggestion for me please give it, all assistance is welcome.

Android version 4.4.4
Galaxy Note Edge

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk 2

flexton

Jan 14, 2015
Sarajevo
You install root explorer and mount as r/w and copy the build.prop into your sd card (the unmoded one) and connect your phone to your pc and turn on usb copy file transfer or something like that. In your pc go into your sd and open your copied build.prop with notepad and mod it as you like. After that go into your root explorer and replace it with your original build.prop. Try on not bricking your phone bcz i bricked mine like that when i put a lot mods on it haha, make a cwm backup or if you know how to unbrick it in every case :) Hope i helped
Be sure its mounted as r/w otherwise you will not be able to do anything to system files.
Use the original root explorer or Andro Zip is recommeded by me

Sent from my GT-S5830i using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Kico.MMK

Apr 27, 2014
[/COLOR]
You install root explorer and mount as r/w and copy the build.prop into your sd card (the unmoded one) and connect your phone to your pc and turn on usb copy file transfer or something like that. In your pc go into your sd and open your copied build.prop with notepad and mod it as you like. After that go into your root explorer and replace it with your original build.prop. Try on not bricking your phone bcz i bricked mine like that when i put a lot mods on it haha, make a cwm backup or if you know how to unbrick it in every case :) Hope i helped
Be sure its mounted as r/w otherwise you will not be able to do anything to system files.
Use the original root explorer or Andro Zip is recommeded by me

Sent from my GT-S5830i using XDA Free mobile app

Are you setting the file permissions correctly as rw-r--r-- ??
thank u for answering but sorry guys to say this , it's not the way of editing it , or the permission , when i make changes they are saved correctly and the device apply the changes in the start of the first boot after these changes are made , but during the boot (after applying the changes) the device restore the stock build.prop , so when the device finishes boot up the changes are applyed but the build.prop (i cheked it) is back to stock , this mean another boot & the changes are gone , :crying: :crying: no matter how many times or changes u do they are applyed only for the first boot after they are made

blueeagle69

Jan 28, 2012
I have the same issue with my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. I have root and system has read write access according to ES File Explorer. But any app that has root privileges, writes just fine without errors. However, if I close the app and load it again, or reboot, any changes are lost. So if I remove a system app using a root uninstaller it will say the app has been uninstalled. But it's still there. Drives me insane.

danny_bhoy67

Feb 8, 2014
Exactly the same on the Smart Ultra 6.

Was hard enough to get it rooted but seems any changes to the system partition/file system just don't stick. Short of putting a custom rom on it I'm stuck for ideas.

I'd love to know what causes this behaviour.

rangermateo

Jul 20, 2007
Any updates here? I just started running into this after updating to the 7.1.1 January factory image on my 5x. The weird thing is when i reboot in TWRP it all looks fine but when I look at my system directory from Android the boot-from-recovery.p is still there and my build.prop changes aren't...push TWRP again, boot to recovery read build.prop and it's my edited version. wtf?

ashd63

Aug 21, 2014
I have found a solution which works in my case.

Edit build prop using any root explorer and save it.
Now once again edit the file with different root explorer app like amaze or es explorer with some comment line like
#comment
and save it.
Now it should prevent the build prop from resetting after a reboot.

I have the same problem: after reboot all the changes are gone....

I have found a solution which works in my case.

Edit build prop using any root explorer and save it.
Now once again edit the file with different root explorer app like amaze or es explorer with some comment line like
#comment
and save it.
Now it should prevent the build prop from resetting after a reboot.

It's not working for me ☹

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Is it normal that my build.prop has the permissions -rw------ ?
This could be the problem.

ne0t

Feb 23, 2017
I have the same problem: after reboot all the changes are gone....

It's not working for me ☹

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Is it normal that my build.prop has the permissions -rw------ ?
This could be the problem.

Did you ever find the solution to this? I'm having the same problem..all changes reset with every reboot and the file's permission is like -rw-----

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you ever find the solution to this? I'm having the same problem..all changes reset with every reboot and the file's permission is like -rw-----
    I found out that the build.prop is reset at shutdown on my device. So i am changing it when its off, with twrp flashable zip. An other way is to make it via adb on the pc, but its with twrp too.
    You can search for tutorials in interent like
    - flashable build.prop
    - change build.prop via adb in twrp mode
    For me the flashable zip work fine.