Guide to permaroot, s=off AND s=on!!!!!

Search This thread

emdoubleu

Dec 21, 2009
Thanks great tutorial. works great. rooted via terminal method. However had to use visionaryplus.apk r14 wouldnt work for me.

kirkcody

Jun 23, 2009
Milwaukee,WI.
grankin01 helpppppppppp!!!

Hey can u tell me if your unrooting method will put the stock recovery back on? trying this theunlockr.com http://theunlockr.com/2010/12/16/how-to-unroot-the-t-mobile-mytouch-4g/ methoded and I keep getting flash_image not found when I try to flash stock recovery.img via terminal emulator.....could you help me out please ps. I know other way havent mastered fastboot/adb yet.

Last edited:

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
Hey can u tell me if your unrooting method will put the stock recovery back on? trying this theunlockr.com http://theunlockr.com/2010/12/16/how-to-unroot-the-t-mobile-mytouch-4g/ methoded and I keep getting flash_image not found when I try to flash stock recovery.img via terminal emulator.....could you help me out please ps. I know other way havent mastered fastboot/adb yet.

You could grab the pd15img.zip file from slhpss's guide to forcing the update and flash it. It will flash the stock recovery image back onto your device.

This might be a stupid question, but,
if you go to s-off, then go back to s-on, does it still void your warranty?

If they find out you did it ... yes. Finding out that you did it (unless you brick it in the process) would prove very hard to do.

What are the differences in these?

Just options. They work the same way otherwise.

kirkcody

Jun 23, 2009
Milwaukee,WI.
grankin01

I dont know what i'm doing wrong but it wont let me flash pd15img.zip with clockwork its saying cant open /sdcard/PD15IMG.zip (bad) installation aborted....urrr what am I doing wrong?...do i have to have s-on in order to flash it?
its s-off at the moment.

Last edited:

kirkcody

Jun 23, 2009
Milwaukee,WI.
Thanks alot it looks like its working...after thats finished do I just reboot and type in terminal commands for s-on?....Thanks I really appreciate your help and Merry belated Christmas to you and yours :D I screwing up over here I just did the first command in terminal emulator cd /sdcard/unroot and got this in return cd: can't cd to /sdcard/unroot.....what am I doing wrong now...Plz help

Last edited:

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
Thanks alot it looks like its working...after thats finished do I just reboot and type in terminal commands for s-on?....Thanks I really appreciate your help and Merry belated Christmas to you and yours :D I screwing up over here I just did the first command in terminal emulator cd /sdcard/unroot and got this in return cd: can't cd to /sdcard/unroot.....what am I doing wrong now...Plz help

Did you copy the entire unroot folder to the sdcard or did you copy the files inside it to the sdcard? Sound like the folder doesn't exist on the sdcard.

GentMAB

Jul 26, 2007
Have you rooted with the gfree method? If so you need to turn radio s back on first. Instructions are at the bottom of that guide. ;)

I rooted using the regular method then did the gfree for the unlock and such, I don't have the file though that was made from gfree :( gotta send this warranty replacement back

EDIT: okay got it using gfree to turn it back on, I'm pretty sure they won't check to see if a recovery is flashed lol

Last edited:

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
I turned s back on and I'm still getting super user enabled privileges.... How do I disable that?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

Mrdaviso

Nov 11, 2010
I turned s back on and I'm still getting super user enabled privileges.... How do I disable that?

I had to unroot through visionary as well to loose permissions. I had to root with visionary and then unroot.

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
I had to unroot through visionary as well to loose permissions. I had to root with visionary and then unroot.

I used visionary to get perm root and I just ran un root via visionary. But I'm still getting super user permissions

Mrdaviso

Nov 11, 2010
Did you s-on and unroot first? Then Verify in root explorer system is r/w after temproot, then run perm with r/w, reboot and unroot visionary. I had to play around a lil to get it fixed.

I used visionary to get perm root and I just ran un root via visionary. But I'm still getting super user permissions

Last edited:
Reactions: FromundaCheese

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
Awesome bro! That worked perfectly! Thank you.
Did you s-on and reroot first? Then Verify in root explorer system is r/w after temproot, then run perm with r/w, reboot and unroot visionary. I had to play around a lil to get it fixed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, unforgiven512 deserves most of the credit for coming up with the initial tutorial for perm root and s=off for the new HTC devices. Also, thanks to adwinp for the instructions on hexeditting the kernel module to make it work with the MT4G.

This was a collaborative #g2root effort, primarily involving scotty2, tmzt, IntuitiveNipple but also many others!

Ok, so the usual disclaimers go here:

I am not responsible for your bricked phone or the ignorance that may or may not have caused it based on the fact that you CHOSE to follow these steps. Read through the forums and LEARN before you attempt to flash any device. You have been warned.

This method only works for those devices who have already received their OTA update!!!

Now that that is out of the way here we go:

First make sure you have visionary installed!

Root.rar (all files plus a script to make things a little easier. :D)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?flit79p2y069bb3
    md5sum: 46361b0cc8652d88688c0ab66d44950b

1. Download the root.rar file and unzip it to /sdcard on your device.

2. Run VISIONary to gain temp root.

Now I am going to run two different sets of instructions (you'll understand why in a minute):

Terminal Emulator Method
    3a. Start terminal emulator up on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)

a. type "su" + enter to gain root privileges.

b. Type "cd /sdcard/root" + enter.

c. Type "sh root.sh" + enter.

d. Follow the on screen prompts.

File Explorer Method
    3b. Start up root explorer, sufbs, or some other type of file browser with root privileges.

a. Navigate to /sdcard/root on your device.

b. Click on root.sh and allow it to run. Some file browsers ask you if you want to or not.

c. Now wait about 18 to 20 seconds and restart your device into the bootloader to check if S=off is displayed.

4. Start the device back up.

5. Run visionary again and reboot again. This will make root stick.

You can now uninstall visionary and enjoy permaroot. :D

Alternative Root Process

First, uninstall visionary and superuser and restart your device to wipe out temp root.

Second, download MT4G Modperm.zip and unzip its contents to your sdk tools directory.

MT4G Modperm.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?eaw0q0zjc7rrrwh
    MD5Sum: 3ea4a7a6ddee711d12f7350ce60fae33

Then:

Windows Users:
    1a. Using Explorer navigate to the root of your sdk. Hold shift and right mouse click on the tools folder. Select "Open command window here".

2a. Type "adbbat" + enter. Wait till the batch file finishes.

Linux Users:
    1b. Using file browser of your choice (or terminal) navigate to the tools folder of your sdk and double click on adbbat.sh (type sh adbbat.sh if you are using terminal). Credit for adbbat.sh goes to slhpss.

2. Disconnect your phone from the PC.

3. Open terminal emulator on the phone and type "/data/local/rage" + enter. Wait for "Forked XXXXXXXX children" to appear and then close the terminal.

4. Start terminal back up. It should force close.

5. Start terminal back up, again. This time it should stay open and you should have a "#" prompt instead of a "$" prompt. Then type "/data/local/temp.sh.

6. When the script finishes run /data/local/rage again and sit tight. The phone should start acting weird and do a soft reboot. Then right after everything loads it should do a hard reboot. After the hard reboot reboot and check S.(If it doesn't do the two reboots just reboot into hboot yourself after rage finishes with the "forked xxxxxxxx children" message.

7. Enjoy root!

If you still have problems getting su to work after this uninstall visionary, shutdown, pull battery, and restart. Should work after that. Props to PolishDude for figuring that one out.

If you have tried EVERYTHING and still cannot get it to work for through the process and wait 30 minutes to an hour. The driver might have a cache delay write and you may need to give it some time to allow the sync command to work. This has worked for one other person (mfouco). BTW, this was figured out by coachmai. Props man!

If su doesn't stick, flash again! You can't overroot it! :D

Process for turning S back on

Download this file and unzip it to /sdcard on your device.

unroot.rar
    http://www.mediafire.com/?12oi5elu7v2y8og
    md5sum: aad4e64126cf8d92d7e8b5abb48fdadd

Terminal Emulator Method
    1. Open up terminal editor on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)

a. Type "su" + enter to gain root privileges.

b. Type "cd /sdcard/unroot" + enter.

c. Type "sh unroot.sh" + enter.

d. Follow the onscreen prompts.

File Explorer Method
    2. Open root explorer, sufbs, or some other file browser with root access.

a. Navigate to /sdcard/unroot.

b. Click on unroot.sh and allow it to run. Some file browsers ask permission before they execute scripts.

c. Wait 18 to 20 seconds and reboot your phone into the bootloader to check if S=on.

You now have S=ON again.

Since we opened up the nand to writes you should still retain persistent root privileges.

Hope this makes it all easier for you.
    Cheers --grankin01 :D

For everyone that is have trouble writing to the protected areas of the system after following the rooting procedures.

Reboot into Clockwork recovery and choose the mounts and storage option. From there choose mount system (or whichever protected directory you want access to) and click the trackpad. When unmount system shows you have rw access to the /system directory and all of its subs.
    This is so frustrating... I can't get an installable version of the visionary r11, I've tried Modaco's site and several links from members in this thread and all of them are not installable through Astro. And through Linda file manager, it gives me parsing errors. I'v checked if it has a .zip on the ending but it doesn't. All of them are .apk files but yet aren't installing. I'm dumbfounded....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Here is three versions of visionary. One is run-on-boot, one is not and one is the plus version. Enjoy :D.
    I dont know what i'm doing wrong but it wont let me flash pd15img.zip with clockwork its saying abort bad file or something other....urrr what am I doing wrong?

Sorry, reboot into hboot and it will check the package and ask you if you want to apply the update.
    Great I just saw this on PaulObrians twitter so this is great news.

Mackster248 Macky Evangelista
    @PaulOBrien will your visionary app tomorrow be able to root the mytouch 4g as well? Since it roots the desire hd.

Pual's answer:

PaulOBrien Paul O'Brien
    @
    @Mackster248 Possibly...

Question, Did you recompile the kernel for the MT4G yourself? A big thanks to everyone. We all need to dig in out pockets to these developers and not forget them.
    Guys might be a stupid question but how do you get into the hboot on mytouch 4g. I thought it was the power button and camera but that doesn't seem to work.

Turn off "Fast Boot" under Applications then power on holding Power + Vol Down