[MOD] Data Service Governer Killer - Updated with How To:

Search This thread

cheapskate88

Aug 27, 2010
Washington, DC
sprint doesn't, show proof

I've gotten 2.4mb 3g speed while in the middle of a 30gb month. I don't have 4g

I agree on my last billion used a total of 18gb last month only using 3g.

out of Apple semen came the HTC Evo

I stand corrected. I only repeated what two Sprint reps told me when I switched over from T-mobile. Thankfully, they obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Sprint doesn't cap 3G speed but does cap 4G to 10MBit up/1MBit down. Does this remove the 4G cap?

ehh dont think there really caping it. Thats just the reality of the current wimax state. the closer you are to the tower the faster the speeds are and even being right on the tower using non-evo wimax equip are averaging aroung 4-12MBit up. Yes it "can" hit well over that but real world avg use is no where near that currently, and its NOT b/c of sprint caping it.

cheapskate88

Aug 27, 2010
Washington, DC
Then in that case what were you changing specifically if there is no cap to avoid in the first place?

I imagine that whatever he's changing has to do with data reported back to the carrier. If the change affects nothing else, I can only see it helping us in the long run, perhaps even helping those who roam.

Regardless, props to the OP for the education.

Reactions: saenz4931

suprano

Aug 10, 2010
sprint do cap..ive been above this & been getting slow internet service on my phone..
b8c9afc2-0ad0-b525.jpg

3VODO3S HD !!

notasimpleway

Dec 22, 2009
Rome, Georgia
www.kencaruthers.com
Sprint has never capped me. I use a lot of data. And yes, from my phone. Never happened in the time I have had the Hero nor the Evo. We pay $10 extra for using extra data. They won't throttle us Evo/Epic users.

Sent from my iPhone with the bigger Gee Bees.

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Could be handy for people like me on Cricket, they cap 3g speeds after you hit 2gb.

I didn't see any mention of it in the thread, but does this cause FCs when entering the mobile network settings screen like the last throttle solution I saw?

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
Glad to see you posted this. We all appreciate your contributions.

Welcome to the Evo community and thanks again :)

Reactions: Product F(RED)

amirborna

Jun 19, 2008
Thanks i use evo as my main internet this helps big time and yes sprint does sometimes throttle internet full bars and crawls.

PS. Myn, your rom, do you do the provided services.jar or do the modified one?

ausch30

Feb 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
This is my current usage with 17 days left in my billing cycle and I haven't noticed any change in speed.

Attachments

• Data.JPG
    Data.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 651

timdawgdentist

Oct 30, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga
after reading this thread like 3 times. I am still not sure what this does. Does it keep sprint from knowing specifically how much you dl? Or does it keep them from slowing your internet connection? I am confused. I too use this for my main internet connection.

Do we need to post our services.jar if we are not on the stock rom?
I am on myns rls4.

thanks in advance
tim

aph

Aug 9, 2007
New York, NY
ehh dont think there really caping it. Thats just the reality of the current wimax state. the closer you are to the tower the faster the speeds are and even being right on the tower using non-evo wimax equip are averaging aroung 4-12MBit up. Yes it "can" hit well over that but real world avg use is no where near that currently, and its NOT b/c of sprint caping it.

you can easily get over 5 megabits per second upload on clear. sprint is at the very least capping that

Spoken from my EVO 4G using Ultra Keyboard and Tapatalk Pro

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
@OP... I flashed this on Azrael X 3.0 and it causes continuous boot looping. I hope Azrael X 3.0 will be on your list of custom Rom services.jars. It's the best Rom in my opinion and should definitely make your list. I can't wait to flash this once you get your edited services.jar's posted! I don't feel comfortable doing these edits myself so I'll wait. Thanks for your thread and work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok first things first... I just came to the EVO from the Epic, so I'm gonna join this community now :).

..::..Disclaimer..::..
    You are voluntarily flashing this at your own risk. I can not be held accountable for anything you choose to do on your own. If you try to blame me, I will laugh at you. ....While pointing.

..::..Data Service Governer Killer..::..

1. What does this do?
    This is a modification to the services.jar framework file, that allows you to have an un-throttled internet.

2. Will this make my internet faster?
    Yes and No. This will not "Upgrade" your internet. This only takes the trottle off, so you can download, or play games and not have to worry about it hitting a certain peak and lagging from that point on. It doesn't provide you with a new internet, only a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing you don't have to worry about it capping off.

3. If I flash this, will it break my phone?
    If it did, yours would be the first case I heard of. I've personally flashed it NUMEROUS times.

4. Will this work on any ROM?
    Yes. This is not based off a particular ROM, and can be used with ANY EVO ROM. ALTHOUGH If you're Dev has made changes to the services.jar file, this could wipe those changes out. If you are unsure, send me your services.jar file, and i will look for you. Hopefully, i'll be able to make a download list in a couple days with all the Dev's services.jar files, so you can download that specific one. You can always ask your Dev.

5. Do I have to be rooted?
    Yes. In order to be able to flash this, you are going to need to have root with a custom recovery. I.E. Amon_Ra.

..::..Install Instructions..::..

Simply download, and place on the root of your sdcard. Then go into recovery and flash it as you would a ROM. Done.

..::..Download..::..

Data Service Governer Killer

..::ALTERNATIVELY::..

You can follow this method if you're Services.jar framework is already modified, or if you aren't sure.

1. Download these 2 files:

[fixed link for baksmili- op you can remove this line when u get to it :) ]

2. Create 2 folders on your C: Drive labeled "Smali" and "Baksmali". (This is for easy access to the folders when being cd'd)

3. Place the 2 downloaded files in the C: Drive folders accordingly. (I.E. Smali.jar in "Smali" folder, and Baksmali.jar in "Baksmali" folder.)

4. Using 7zip or WinRAR (or any other zip program) open the services.jar file that you pulled from your phone. Copy the "classes.dex" file and paste it into the "Baksmali" folder.

5. Open your command prompt and type the following:
    • cd C:/Baksmali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar baksmali.jar -o classes/ classes.dex

6. Open the newly created "classes" folder (its inside your Baksmali folder that you should already be in) and navigate through "/com/android/server/". Scroll down till you see the 6 or 7 "Throttle" files. They will be located between "TelephonyRegistry" and "TVCableObserver$1$1". DELETE ONLY THE "THROTTLE" FILES.

7. Back out of the folders until you are in the "Baksmali" folder again. Now open the "Smali" folder you created earlier. Place the "classes" FOLDER in the "Smali" folder.

8. Return to your command prompt and type this:
    • cd C:/Smali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex classes/

9. You should now see a "classes.dex" file in your "Smali" folder. This is the NEW compiled services.jar classes.dex file. Pull up the 7zip or WinRAR file you had open earlier, delete the current classes.dex file from the services.jar, and place the newly compiled one in it's place.

10. Place the services.jar file back into your ROM, and boot up. You are now running Unthrottled.

11. If you do not see the "Throttle" files, don't complain they're not there, your Dev may have already taken them out.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    sprint doesn't, show proof

I've gotten 2.4mb 3g speed while in the middle of a 30gb month. I don't have 4g

Just for those who were wondering....

proof.jpg

This came DIRECTLY from the sprint store... they had this setup on one of the computers in there, and i figured i'd take a pic and show you guys. For those who doubt the "capping" of data services, here's a little "told ya so" lol :p ...nah but seriously, take from this what you will. If you don't want to ungovern, don't. It's entirely up to you :)
    Can you provide the edits or edit my file individually?

Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Why not just release the changes. and what files you made those changes to? then we can edit that jar... I am using the latest cm gingerbread builds. so i wouldn't mind testing it.
    Seems this is an unsafe mod...

I recommend you guys use Zeppelinrox's "3g turbocharger" script... IT WORKS.

It WILL increase your 3g performance. I use the piss out of my 3g data and have never noticed a throttle cap...

This one?
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15948434&postcount=1127