Vibrant app memory confusion

Search This thread

umaronly

Mar 2, 2009
Friends

I have searched on numerous fronts but have never found the solution to my problem. The issue is, on the vibrant I have 2 GB internal memory for app installation, with 512 mb ram (I think) to run the apps, in addition to 16 GB of internal storage for files and what not.
However, having 1.4 GB 'app' memory free currently, whenever I install any further apps, some of the existing apps start to crash/restart whenever I need to use them. For example, I use LPP, and when I install some more apps on the phone, LPP homescreen icons disappear whatever action I do (open an app, use an app, etc), and then they reload for about 15-20 seconds when I go to the homescreen again. I have about 35-55 MB RAM free at any given time.

My question is, why give 2 GB app installation memory when you still cannot use it to install apps since they start giving you all sort of problems? I am running stock t-mobile eclair and have recently rooted my phone.

xtone

Oct 1, 2010
Diamond Bar, CA
you know what, i think all you need is a task killer or clean your phone or something.. just find a way to free up some space.. 35-55MB is hella low.

umaronly

Mar 2, 2009
Hmm, whats the normal free ram for stock 2.1 vibrant supposed to be? I have not tinkered around with my phone much so am wondering how it could have gotten low to that extent. All the apps that I use are also well known and from reputable developers...

Got any clues?

xtone

Oct 1, 2010
Diamond Bar, CA
dunno when i was running 2.1 i was always at 80-120 free range with apps running..

try getting a task killer and kill all running apps..

also check settings > applications > running services > tap and kill processes you dont need running

umaronly

Mar 2, 2009
This still does not answer my question about why there is 2 GB of app memory available...? regardless of RAM..?

umaronly

Mar 2, 2009
Incase people want 2 gigs worth of apps? and if i remember right you have 16gigs storage and then 2gigs of that is partitioned for apps

Yeah, but then what about what I wrote in my first post? It does not make sense if you can 'theoretically' install 2 GB worth of apps but renders the phone useless in function?

Anyone who is actually using close to 2 GB worth of memory for apps on vibrant/Galaxy S?? Would love to hear what you have to say.