[PATCH] Working Superuser/su for newer Sense ROMs

Search This thread

vkennedy

Aug 27, 2010
"If you ran the RUU and have trashed your custom recovery (Clockwork), this isn't going to help you root the device again. Superuser is a tool for managing root access, not obtaining it."

OK, like and idiot I ran the RUU and cannot get into recovery.

How do I unscrew myself?

Thanks in advance,
Vince

lovelldr

Oct 31, 2007
Hi.

I ran the ota update, which obviously broke the previous su/superuser, but from what I gather, I should still have root?! But it just can't be managed?!

I hadn't previously put clockwork mod on, and I don't think I am s-off (is there any way to check?!)

Anyway, what I was wanting to do was to get SU back, so I could at least backup my apps. Currently, wireless is b0rked because of the update... So, I was wanting to make a backup of my data, and (if possible, although don't think it is), revert back to a previous rom release...

Am I able to do this at all? This is a zip, which I guess requires clockwork to run?!

Any info greatly appreciated...

Or, is there any way of getting all the data from my apps backed up?! I had previously been using MyBackup Pro, which requires root to get the data for all my apps. Can this be done without root at all? At least I can then reflash and get wifi working!!!

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
Hi.

I ran the ota update, which obviously broke the previous su/superuser, but from what I gather, I should still have root?! But it just can't be managed?!

I hadn't previously put clockwork mod on, and I don't think I am s-off (is there any way to check?!)

Anyway, what I was wanting to do was to get SU back, so I could at least backup my apps. Currently, wireless is b0rked because of the update... So, I was wanting to make a backup of my data, and (if possible, although don't think it is), revert back to a previous rom release...

Am I able to do this at all? This is a zip, which I guess requires clockwork to run?!

Any info greatly appreciated...

Or, is there any way of getting all the data from my apps backed up?! I had previously been using MyBackup Pro, which requires root to get the data for all my apps. Can this be done without root at all? At least I can then reflash and get wifi working!!!

No, the OTA would have broken root

You'd know if you had S-OFF because you would have had to do it to your phone in the first place surely! :confused:

Anyway, if you didn't have radio S-OFF prior to installing the update then you are fooked until the devs figure it out

Last edited:

lovelldr

Oct 31, 2007
No, the OTA would have broken root

You'd know if you had S-OFF because you would have had to do it to your phone in the first place surely! :confused:

Anyway, if you didn't have radio S-OFF prior to installing the update then you are fooked until the devs figure it out
Thing is, so many things have happened since then, I can't remember whether I s-off'd or not... So that's why I said I can't remember... :p

keinengel

Dec 7, 2009
You can check if you're S-OFF by powering off your phone and going into hboot by holding down Volume down and Power. Or connect it to your PC and use adb reboot bootloader

Reactions: lovelldr

lovelldr

Oct 31, 2007
lol, guess I must not have s-off'ed then, as when pressing vol down and powering on, I get:

Code:
VISION PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.85.0008
MICROP-0425
RADIO-26.04.02.17_M2
eMMC-boot
Nov 17 2010,21:21:39

Looks like I'm buggered then until someone can give us root :p

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
"If you ran the RUU and have trashed your custom recovery (Clockwork), this isn't going to help you root the device again. Superuser is a tool for managing root access, not obtaining it."

OK, like and idiot I ran the RUU and cannot get into recovery.

How do I unscrew myself?

So did it flash ok ? When you try to boot into recovery, does it come up with a screen with a red triangle and exclamation mark ? If so, then just press Volume Up and Power and it will go into the stock recovery screen. But that won't help you root the device. Flashing the whole RUU of 1.72 will have flashed stock recovery.

Yoshi_523

Sep 11, 2010
^^yes first copy the patch zip file to your SDCard yes once you've got eng s-off and installed ClockworkMod recovery as in this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=841076 then you enter your bootloader (power off device, hold down the volume down button while tapping the power button once) enter hboot, enter recovery, choose install zip file, choose install from and select the file from the sdcard.

It works if you can now run terminal emulator on your device and type su and it says super user access granted.

Yoshi_523

Sep 11, 2010
Can someone please help... I have a Desire HD and have followed the root procedures including installing clockwork recovery and eng s-off as in this guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=841076. After installing the lastest LeeDrOiD version 1.3a which uses the core 1.72.x.x sense ROM I had no super user access. I then downloaded and ran the super user patch from this forum thread. When I type SU in teminal emulater it now says superuser granted. I run superuser app and it only has terminal emulator in there. When I run Astro File manager or AndroZip file manager I cannot remove system files any more because it says system access not grated (or something similar). Now when I had just the older 1.32.x.x Stock Sense ROM rooted I could delete system files. What I am specifically talking about is using Astro file manager and navigating to "system/apps" and being able to delete annoying, useless, abuse of social network apps like crackbook, twitter, ect, ect.

In short it although it appears like this patch gives me superuser access back it really seems to not give superuser access to my apps which is what I need. How do I fix that?

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Can someone please help... I have a Desire HD and have followed the root procedures including installing clockwork recovery and eng s-off as in this guide

This is the Vision forum (Desire Z/G2), sorry but we don't have the DHD here, is there not a thread on this in the DHD forum ? If not, you could start one.

Yoshi_523

Sep 11, 2010
Ok just to update on that... I found out that I installed 1.72.405.3 version of HTC's ROM inbuilt into LeeDrOiD 1.3 custom ROM. I did have root access, h-boot Eng S-Off but not Radio S-Off. Obviously this means I've ****ed myself over without knowing it. Previously I was able to run Visionary+ with the option grant System R/W and then could enter the /system/app folder and delete whatever system apps I wanted. Now it doesn't matter what I do, even using the root access patch here and using root explorer it still will not let me mount the system folder to get R/W access. Is there any way anyone with can get full access to delete system apps after loading 1.72.405.3 with Radio S-On? Terminal Emulator grants me SU access but still not dice on letting me delete the .apk files. Anyone know if it can be done with adb commands mounting the drive in Windows? If I can't figure it out soon I will just use Root Manager <--edit.. sorry that was a mistake I mean the windows based app ROM Cleaner 0.8. Anyway I've now solved the issue so no flashing needed :)) to delete the system apps from the LeeDrOiD ROM and reflash however I will loose so much time in having to re-enter all the data and reinstall everything for the upteenth time.... I really want to avoid.

As with others here who've loaded the 1.72.405.3 patch/ROM I've tried to load Radio S-Off after doing this and it won't give me Radio S-Off super CID. Damn! :mad:

If I didn't say so already the this rmk40 super user patch does say super user access granted when an app calls for it however no R/W access of the system folder and no ability to Run Visionary+ properly or run Radio S-Off patch successfully which leads me to believe this is only a pseudo super user patch.

Last edited:
Reactions: afrcom15

afrcom15

Sep 13, 2010
Cornwall
Ok just to update on that... I found out that I installed 1.72.405.3 version of HTC's ROM inbuilt into LeeDrOiD 1.3 custom ROM. I did have root access, h-boot Eng S-Off but not Radio S-Off. Obviously this means I've ****ed myself over without knowing
it. Previously I was able to run Visionary+ with the option grant System R/W and then could enter the /system/app folder and delete whatever system apps I wanted. Now it doesn't matter what I do, even using the root access patch here and using root explorer it still will not let me mount the system folder to get R/W access. Is there any way anyone with can get full access to delete system apps after loading 1.72.405.3 with Radio S-On? Terminal Emulator grants me SU access but still not dice on letting me delete the .apk files. Anyone know if it can be done with adb commands mounting the drive in Windows? If I can't figure it out soon I will just use Root Manager to delete the system apps from the LeeDrOiD ROM and reflash however I will loose so much time in having to re-enter all the data and reinstall everything for the upteenth time.... I really want to avoid.

As with others here who've loaded the 1.72.405.3 patch/ROM I've tried to load Radio S-Off after doing this and it won't give me Radio S-Off super CID. Damn! :mad:

If I didn't say so already the this rmk40 super user patch does say super user access granted when an app calls for it however no R/W access of the system folder and no ability to Run Visionary+ properly or run Radio S-Off patch successfully which leads me to believe this is only a pseudo super user patch.

1.more **** highlighted.
2.root manger needs root, which you say you do not have.

Yoshi_523

Sep 11, 2010
Ok I've had success against the tricky bastard 1.72.405.3 with crippled root access. After lots of messing I've found out how to remove the system apps that this version this latest version of the ROM has locked out R/W access to. I had to have the Android SDK installed with USB drivers. I then in windows I opened up command prompt and using the good old dos commands like "cd\program files (x64)" I go to my android sdk folder platform-tools. Once in the platform-tools let the foreign Unix commands begin ;)

Without the exclamation marks type I type "adb remount shell"
Then "adb shell rm /system/app/Facebook.apk"

Now Facebook.apk being an example of the app you want to delete. I use a file browser such as Astro on my phone to go the the /system/app folder and easily look around and get the file names of the apps I want to delete. An important thing to remember for all the other's unfamiliar with Unix commands like myself, this ain't DOS. Unlike DOS, files and commands are case sensitive so if you try to delete the Facebook app and type it in "facebook.apk" all lower case it won't delete. Make note of any letters uppercase or lowercase in the folder name and file and type it in correctly in the Unix commands or they won't work.

The other two important things to note before you go on a Spring cleaning, delete frenzy (like I will be after I finish typing this up :p) is: 1) If you delete some certain system apps (for example TelephonyProvider.apk) Android will **** itself and after booting enter a loop where you can't access anything & you can't stop it complaining about blah blah app failed. So make sure you have on your microSD card either a Nandroid backup done recently using the Backp/Restore function under the Bootloader installed with Clockwork Recovery or a working ROM that you've tried and know works such as the stock ROM or a custom ROM from LeeDrOiD, Cyanogen, ect. If you get into one of those non recoverable loops you'll need to flash the ROM and of course loose any data and apps not backed up. Okay this brings me to my next point if you want to copy any of the system apps off to your microSD card either to backup or just if you're not 100% sure if you may want to install it again later then in command prompt type this:

"adb shell cp /system/app/Calculator.apk /sdcard/"
Obviously here Calculator.apk is the app we are copying but you can choose any app to copy.

Stick it to tha man and have fun cleaning up your ROM and deleting all that crap bloatware your service provider and HTC don't wanna give you access to and now without the cripple of HTC update 1.72.405.3 stopping you! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone following the RUU threads already knows about this and it's starting to get more attention now. The latest official build of Superuser does not work with newer Sense ROMs (such as Vision 1.72+, anything released recently). HTC has started utilizing a relatively new feature of sqlite; a journaling mode called WAL (write-ahead logging). It's actually smart. WAL journaling should improve sqlite throughput, which represents a large amount of Android's IO and benefits applications across the board. The downside is it broke Superuser because it's actually special in its' use of sqlite.

WAL journaling, as built with these new Sense ROMs, is using exclusive locking. Why is this important for Superuser? It's the one situation where you have an application running within Android's process space and one outside of it, both accessing the same sqlite database. When su runs, it opens the sqlite database to check whether you have allowed access for said command to run. If not, a call is made to the Android application, which fires up and prompts you for an answer. Problem is, su has the database open with an exclusive lock (i.e. nothing else can touch it), so Superuser (the Android app) fails to open the database and cannot run. It'll either force close or do nothing.

To fix this, I have modified Superuser and su. Both changes have been submitted to ChainsDD for review. You can look at his git repository's pull requests to see the changes I'm proposing. I'm basically changing the journal mode being used by su one that is non-exclusive and Superuser to close its' database when sitting idle. I couldn't change Superuser's journal mode no matter what I did; it seems to be set deeper in the stack than I can access.

Here are the links to my pull requests on Github if you want to review the code:

https://github.com/ChainsDD/android_packages_apps_Superuser/pull/14
    https://github.com/ChainsDD/android_system_extras/pull/1

Anyway, the end result is I have a working Superuser. Here are the caveats:

• This is not an official build, so it's signed with my key, not ChainsDD. He has merged my patches into his Github repository so they should be making their way into a release soon.

• I've artificially incremented the version number to 9.9.9, to make sure if you install my version, it'll "win" over any other installed version. Also, this prevents the Market from nagging you for updates.

• I don't recommend using this version unless you must. In other words, you are on one of the Sense ROMs which is broken. Use an official build otherwise.

• If you ran the RUU and have trashed your custom recovery (Clockwork), this isn't going to help you root the device again. Superuser is a tool for managing root access, not obtaining it.

If you are running Virtuous, you DO NOT need this.

ChainsDD merged my patches into his repositories today so they should make it into an official release soon.
    Hi,

This patch works only on Desire Z or I can install in my Desire HD?

Regards,

It'll work for any ROM actually.
    You can check if you're S-OFF by powering off your phone and going into hboot by holding down Volume down and Power. Or connect it to your PC and use adb reboot bootloader
    Ok just to update on that... I found out that I installed 1.72.405.3 version of HTC's ROM inbuilt into LeeDrOiD 1.3 custom ROM. I did have root access, h-boot Eng S-Off but not Radio S-Off. Obviously this means I've ****ed myself over without knowing it. Previously I was able to run Visionary+ with the option grant System R/W and then could enter the /system/app folder and delete whatever system apps I wanted. Now it doesn't matter what I do, even using the root access patch here and using root explorer it still will not let me mount the system folder to get R/W access. Is there any way anyone with can get full access to delete system apps after loading 1.72.405.3 with Radio S-On? Terminal Emulator grants me SU access but still not dice on letting me delete the .apk files. Anyone know if it can be done with adb commands mounting the drive in Windows? If I can't figure it out soon I will just use Root Manager <--edit.. sorry that was a mistake I mean the windows based app ROM Cleaner 0.8. Anyway I've now solved the issue so no flashing needed :)) to delete the system apps from the LeeDrOiD ROM and reflash however I will loose so much time in having to re-enter all the data and reinstall everything for the upteenth time.... I really want to avoid.