BThomas22x

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
Scottdale
sprint doesn't, show proof

I've gotten 2.4mb 3g speed while in the middle of a 30gb month. I don't have 4g

Just for those who were wondering....

proof.jpg

This came DIRECTLY from the sprint store... they had this setup on one of the computers in there, and i figured i'd take a pic and show you guys. For those who doubt the "capping" of data services, here's a little "told ya so" lol :p ...nah but seriously, take from this what you will. If you don't want to ungovern, don't. It's entirely up to you :)

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010

proof.jpg

This came DIRECTLY from the sprint store... they had this setup on one of the computers in there, and i figured i'd take a pic and show you guys. For those who doubt the "capping" of data services, here's a little "told ya so" lol :p ...nah but seriously, take from this what you will. If you don't want to ungovern, don't. It's entirely up to you :)

awesome very nice :) thank you

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden

proof.jpg

Not to be an ass but that's for wimax cards not phones the phones haver no caps bud

Sent from my EVO at the edge of hell

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
Not to be an ass but that's for wimax cards not phones the phones haver no caps bud

if u read its for throtteling which means limits how fast you download not so much as to how much you download and i am sure everytime u do a speed test it prolly will not go higher then the 3.1mb if u only have 3 g learn the diff

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
if u read its for throtteling which means limits how fast you download not so much as to how much you download and i am sure everytime u do a speed test it prolly will not go higher then the 3.1mb if u only have 3 g learn the diff

I understand that but the pic he posted is for the cards that have a 5gb cap on 3g. Throttle down on the phone is completely true 4g is limited to 10mbps and I know it has tested faster on cm's test 4g

BThomas22x

Oct 8, 2010
Scottdale
I understand that but the pic he posted is for the cards that have a 5gb cap on 3g. Throttle down on the phone is completely true 4g is limited to 10mbps and I know it has tested faster on cm's test 4g

And you're 100% positive he hasn't removed the throttle?...............

fachadick

Jul 3, 2010
Northern NJ
fachadick.wordpress.com

proof.jpg

Saw this pic in another thread, so I thought I'd hunt it down and clarify some things. Sprint does not cap or throttle on-network data on the evo or epic.

First of all, the peak download speed figures in the image are the peak download speeds you can get with the various services, not at what point they'll start to cap or throttle you. The fastest (or peak) advertised speed you're supposed to be able to get on 4g is "faster than 10Mbps", vs the fastest (or peak) advertised speeds you're supposed to get on 3g which is up to 3.1 Mbps.

More importantly though - that image has nothing to do with sprint 4g phones - it describes the rates for data cards ONLY. You can see the same grid on the sprint website here (you get to that pop-up by hitting the 4g coverage link next to any of the 4g data cards on sprint.com). Sprint has always capped 3g data at 5gb for data cards - this is no secret.

If you hit that same link (for 4g coverage info) next to the evo or epic, it brings up a similar page, and if you go to the Speeds tab, under Monthly download limit, it says "All you can stream, browse, email, chat, watch and game while on our network." It also has a pointer to fine print that says "Monthly download limit applies to 3G/4G phones, not 3G/4G Mobile Broadband devices." to show that the unlimited data it mentions is for phones and not data cards.

It's a great hack, but doesn't really help us with how sprint currently bills...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hamspiced
Who gives a fcuk? (Yeah, my spelling is bad.) Can't you guys pick something else to argue about? Sure it's debateable whether it does anything for EVO 4G phones. Let the Devs sort it out. The OP brought an interesting concept to the mix. Expend your energy and intellect somewhere else. I'll give you one...

How long does it take a wooden-legged lizard to kick all the seeds out of a watermellon pickle?

BThomas22x

Oct 8, 2010
Scottdale
I just realized that you guys are right ...that is for the data cards... but not to worry, this does no harm, and i am removing 7 Throttle files... so either way, you can do it or you don't have to... make your own decisions

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
I just realized that you guys are right ...that is for the data cards... but not to worry, this does no harm, and i am removing 7 Throttle files... so either way, you can do it or you don't have to... make your own decisions
Hey thanks bro you work is appreciated keep it up I still believe there is a 4G throttle and as soon as I get home I'm flashing this

ericwgarza1

May 13, 2008
H-Town, TX
I did the manual edits and all is well. Running Mik's 4.1 Re-enginered ROM. Thanks for the guide. It was cool to actually be able to recompile something and it not cause bootloops. :)

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Wow, out of this whole thread maybe two people knew to wipe the dalvik cache. lol

To the OP Thanks for the post and the smali code, I've been using apktool and it sucks when it can't decompile all the files correctly. My only question is this, has anyone actually looked at the code to see if/how this is implemented?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
People keep pushing this without any proof that it does anything at all. I just dont get it, esp when the link HERE clearly states that "SO FAR, THIS HAS ONLY BEEN KNOWN TO WORK ON T-MOBILE USA AND CANADA BELL... ALL OTHER CARRIERS SEEM TO HAVE THESE FILES JUST BECAUSE IT'S A STANDARD IN ANDROID 2.2.1 AND SEEM TO BE CONTROLLED COMPLETELY OTA UNLIKE TMOBILE AND BELL..."

gpz1100

Nov 28, 2009
Tried it Constant reboot loop with Fresh 3.5 NO GOOD

Reread the first post and use the alternate method. Or if you're lazy just replace your services.jar with the attached file... unzip and rename appropriately. It's in /system/framework/ . Must be done from recovery - you will have to mount the /system partition.

Out here (chicago) I didn't have much of a throttling issue before. Depending on time of day, 3g speeds were .5-1.5 mbps down, and up to 1mbps up, while 4g was 5-10 mbps down, and 1 mbps. So really the only throttle I see/had was the 4g upload.

Suffice to say, implementing this hack did not change my 4g upload speed.. It's still stuck at ~1mbps which implies the throttle is being done on a server level, not on the phone. Although, the fresh rom did contain those 7 throttle files in the classes.dex library. In conclusion, it made no difference on the throttling for me :) All that work for nothing - I did learn to unpack and repack java files though ;P

ymmv

Edit: file name "works".... because it doesn't send the device into a boot loop.

Attachments

• services_unthrottled_works_w_fresh_3.5.0.1.zip
    728 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Reactions: Genjinaro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok first things first... I just came to the EVO from the Epic, so I'm gonna join this community now :).

..::..Disclaimer..::..
    You are voluntarily flashing this at your own risk. I can not be held accountable for anything you choose to do on your own. If you try to blame me, I will laugh at you. ....While pointing.

..::..Data Service Governer Killer..::..

1. What does this do?
    This is a modification to the services.jar framework file, that allows you to have an un-throttled internet.

2. Will this make my internet faster?
    Yes and No. This will not "Upgrade" your internet. This only takes the trottle off, so you can download, or play games and not have to worry about it hitting a certain peak and lagging from that point on. It doesn't provide you with a new internet, only a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing you don't have to worry about it capping off.

3. If I flash this, will it break my phone?
    If it did, yours would be the first case I heard of. I've personally flashed it NUMEROUS times.

4. Will this work on any ROM?
    Yes. This is not based off a particular ROM, and can be used with ANY EVO ROM. ALTHOUGH If you're Dev has made changes to the services.jar file, this could wipe those changes out. If you are unsure, send me your services.jar file, and i will look for you. Hopefully, i'll be able to make a download list in a couple days with all the Dev's services.jar files, so you can download that specific one. You can always ask your Dev.

5. Do I have to be rooted?
    Yes. In order to be able to flash this, you are going to need to have root with a custom recovery. I.E. Amon_Ra.

..::..Install Instructions..::..

Simply download, and place on the root of your sdcard. Then go into recovery and flash it as you would a ROM. Done.

..::..Download..::..

Data Service Governer Killer

..::ALTERNATIVELY::..

You can follow this method if you're Services.jar framework is already modified, or if you aren't sure.

1. Download these 2 files:

[fixed link for baksmili- op you can remove this line when u get to it :) ]

2. Create 2 folders on your C: Drive labeled "Smali" and "Baksmali". (This is for easy access to the folders when being cd'd)

3. Place the 2 downloaded files in the C: Drive folders accordingly. (I.E. Smali.jar in "Smali" folder, and Baksmali.jar in "Baksmali" folder.)

4. Using 7zip or WinRAR (or any other zip program) open the services.jar file that you pulled from your phone. Copy the "classes.dex" file and paste it into the "Baksmali" folder.

5. Open your command prompt and type the following:
    • cd C:/Baksmali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar baksmali.jar -o classes/ classes.dex

6. Open the newly created "classes" folder (its inside your Baksmali folder that you should already be in) and navigate through "/com/android/server/". Scroll down till you see the 6 or 7 "Throttle" files. They will be located between "TelephonyRegistry" and "TVCableObserver$1$1". DELETE ONLY THE "THROTTLE" FILES.

7. Back out of the folders until you are in the "Baksmali" folder again. Now open the "Smali" folder you created earlier. Place the "classes" FOLDER in the "Smali" folder.

8. Return to your command prompt and type this:
    • cd C:/Smali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex classes/

9. You should now see a "classes.dex" file in your "Smali" folder. This is the NEW compiled services.jar classes.dex file. Pull up the 7zip or WinRAR file you had open earlier, delete the current classes.dex file from the services.jar, and place the newly compiled one in it's place.

10. Place the services.jar file back into your ROM, and boot up. You are now running Unthrottled.

11. If you do not see the "Throttle" files, don't complain they're not there, your Dev may have already taken them out.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    sprint doesn't, show proof

I've gotten 2.4mb 3g speed while in the middle of a 30gb month. I don't have 4g

proof.jpg

Can you provide the edits or edit my file individually?

Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Why not just release the changes. and what files you made those changes to? then we can edit that jar... I am using the latest cm gingerbread builds. so i wouldn't mind testing it.
    Seems this is an unsafe mod...

I recommend you guys use Zeppelinrox's "3g turbocharger" script... IT WORKS.

It WILL increase your 3g performance. I use the piss out of my 3g data and have never noticed a throttle cap...

This one?
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15948434&postcount=1127