Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet

Search This thread

jay_jay_n

Mar 22, 2006
www.jaysgadgets.com
i got it as a present for a cousin but having a issue trying to get smart keyboard to be installed from a backed up apk is it just not compatible? i wish there was a way to root this thing =(

jonjon1069

Jun 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Me :)
Already installed some market apps from my g1 onto it ;)
Hi....I installed some apps from my G1 also. But the ones that depend on the market for update or rely on web interaction either won't install, force close or don't work quite right.

Man I sure hope that someone might tackle rooting this device soon. I think it has so much potential for being a useful device.

Last edited:

valenfor

Mar 22, 2010
Rooting the Cruz Micro

Via tether its already rooted. Just adb shelled in and su works fine. So no rooting necessary as I understand it. However I am not a firmware guy so just my experience.

I did notice when I used Cruz Marketplace I got the option for Android Marketplace which has thousands of apps - not sure its Google's but worked well. One item to note is that the CPU in these is not an ARM but MIP's. It hasn't been a problem for me (if I am desperate I will just use a cross compiler to build something) but I have heard it caused issues on other forums for people.

V.

Last edited:

valenfor

Mar 22, 2010
Processor Information/Docs

I was in with ADB playing and got this from cat'ing procinfo.

system type : JZ4760
Hardware : PT701
processor : 0
cpu model : Ingenic Xburst V4.15 FPU V0.0
BogoMIPS : 527.56
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : no
tlb_entries : 32
extra interrupt vector : yes
hardware watchpoint : yes, count: 1, address/irw mask: [0x0fff]
ASEs implemented : mxu
shadow register sets : 1
core : 0
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

Googling Igenic will find their site for you. Notice the XBurst in the name. They have a lot of PDF's and information on their FTP site which the website links too. Unfortunately they have great detailed PDF's on the JZ4755 but nothing on the JZ4760. Had me wondering if they took a previous design and just customized a bit for the client.

I do realize of course that a LOT can change in even a small revision of a chip. Anyway - for the 4755 they have cross build tools, linux demos, board designs, nand and usbboot instructions etc.. Even the tool chains to build for the mip's.

Man this is the best XMas present my wife has got me in years :p

valenfor

Mar 22, 2010
Android App Store App

The Cruz Marketplace (cruzmarket_com/mkt/mhome.asp) currently has a app listed 5th from the top as I am viewing it now called:

AndAppStore - Android Market Place App
FREE

This is how I installed mine, and it works like a charm. :D

V.

(sorry for incomplete URL but am noob and can't post URL's)

dsnyder586

Jun 2, 2009
I would love to find out if there is a way to port any of the existing ROMs to this device. The touchscreen is not responsive enough with the current firmware, but the keyboard is- that tells me there is the ability to increase responsiveness... other than that, the ability to run auto task killers would help because it looks like most apps stay resident and slow the device down considerably. Two problems that can be fixed by tweaking the firmware I believe- any developers out there with the desire to take this on?

qrist12

Oct 6, 2009
You may want to check what's going on at slatedorid's forum. Google slate droid velocity cruz... cannot post the link:rolleyes:

GJSmith3rd

May 6, 2008
Chicago
OnePlus 8
I have one as well.

I really like the device even though other tablets are offering better features in low-end tablets. I checked Best Buy today and it was $169. I got it for $199 last week before CES. I have the 7 inch T10(x) series. The capacitive display is ok for me, its like getting to know a new friend. Lack of security, Android Market, and built in obsolescence of the OS are bummers.

Worst - a smart device that keeps all your stuff but doesn't even have simple password/PIN protection. Doh!

geekgirl70

Dec 20, 2010
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that app does NOT give you access to the true Android Marketplace. The Android Marketplace is a Google hosted site, and it has thousands of apps. The Android App Store has less than 2k apps, definitely missing some big important ones, like the Pandora app for Android.

There ARE hacks to get the Android Market for the Reader, but so far I've not found a hack for the Tablet (and yes, there IS a difference).

Good luck to the OP. If anyone comes across a hack for the Tablet, I would love to know.

The Cruz Marketplace (cruzmarket_com/mkt/mhome.asp) currently has a app listed 5th from the top as I am viewing it now called:

AndAppStore - Android Market Place App
FREE

This is how I installed mine, and it works like a charm. :D

blaksheep

Jan 14, 2011
I would love to find out if there is a way to port any of the existing ROMs to this device. The touchscreen is not responsive enough with the current firmware, but the keyboard is- that tells me there is the ability to increase responsiveness... other than that, the ability to run auto task killers would help because it looks like most apps stay resident and slow the device down considerably. Two problems that can be fixed by tweaking the firmware I believe- any developers out there with the desire to take this on?

Still no progress on this to date. Alot of discussion taking place on the SlateDroid forums with a new area dedicated to the Velocity Cruz Tablet.

droid723

Jan 23, 2011
nyc
pandora works on the cruz tablet, by way of sd card. i also have a maylong m-150 i used the pandora apk from my sd card to upload it. works fine

blaksheep

Jan 14, 2011
Specs on Velocity Cruz Tablet Processor

As mentioned above in this thread, the processor is an Ingenic JZ4760 processor. Here are the specs on the processor from the Ingenic site:

CPU XBurst, 600MHz
VPU 720P Decoder
GPU 2D Graphics, Alpha Blending, Up to 100M Pix / S and 1080P
Mem-IF 8/16-bit SRAM, Nor Flash
SLC / MLC / TLC NAND Flash, support 4/8/12/24 bit ECC check
16/32-bit DDR2/DDR/Mobile DDR SDRAM

Peripherals AC97/I2S/SPDIF, Audio Code, LCD-IF, TV Encoder, EPD IF, Camera IF, I2C, SPI, UART, SDIO, SIM IF, SADC, TS-IF

Package BGA345, 14mm x 14mm x 1.1mm, 0.65mm pitch
Process 0.13um CMOS

I posted a full spec sheet with a link to the Ingenic data sheet pdf in my Slatedroid post:

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=15402.0

Hope it helps with your development on the device.

Last edited:

PureKaozJ

Dec 16, 2011
Mooresville, NC
ugh

I got the T408, i have tried twice to install market and failed both times. I am one-click-rooted as it has the 2.3 Gingerbread... easy enough... now i just cant get half the apps i want from Amazon, or Applanet.

cjggilbert

Dec 16, 2010
Salt Lake City
Google Market on Cruz Velocity T410

OK so my son got the T410 for christmas, I've got it rooted and am working on a push for the google market and frameworks. Should have it pretty soon. I'll post it as soon as I do.

UPDATE:
I will go through this quickly as it was actually pretty easy. This is how I did it, I had no problems so I would not anticipate any, however standard disclaimer, I can't be held responsible for anything you do to your device, I am simply sharing my experience. What you choose to do is up to you. I didi this on the T410, but I would expect it to work the same on the T408

1. Rooted with gingerbreak and installed superuser and busybox over it (search for it)

2. Placed the app folder (found inside the gapps.zip attached to this post) on my internal sd card.

3. Installed the apps in this order:
I DID NOT OPEN ANY OF THESE APPS AFTER INSTALLATION, ONLY CHOOSE DONE AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE.
onetimeinitializer.apk
setup.apk
googleservicesframework.apk
gmail.apk
maps.apk
talk.apk
vending.apk
AFTER THE LAST ONE IS INSTALLED, I REBOOTED MY TABLET.

Upon reboot I let the tablet fully cycle the sd card checks and all that, once I swiped to unlock the home screen, I was met with a decision asking whether to use Launcher, of Setup Wizard to complete the action.

CHECK THE BOX TO USE ACTION AS DEFAULT AND CHOOSE LAUNCHER

4. I then opened the google market, signed in with my gmail account and once it had synced my device with the google servers (yes WIFI must be on and connected, I had to say it because you just never know) I had access to the market.

I have downloaded a few apps and have had no problems, it is an older version of the market and I don't have market updater installed, but I may try that later.

I have also noticed when looking in the account and sync area, it will sync my gmail, but not my contacts or calender, I will have to look at that later as well.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• gapps.zip
    7 MB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Reactions: dackoni and m4f1050

bubbafett4hire

Jul 30, 2010
East Coast
OK so my son got the T410 for christmas, I've got it rooted and am working on a push for the google market and frameworks. Should have it pretty soon. I'll post it as soon as I do.

UPDATE:
I will go through this quickly as it was actually pretty easy. This is how I did it, I had no problems so I would not anticipate any, however standard disclaimer, I can't be held responsible for anything you do to your device, I am simply sharing my experience. What you choose to do is up to you. I didi this on the T410, but I would expect it to work the same on the T408

1. Rooted with gingerbreak and installed superuser and busybox over it (search for it)

2. Placed the app folder (found inside the gapps.zip attached to this post) on my internal sd card.

I DID NOT OPEN ANY OF THESE APPS AFTER INSTALLATION, ONLY CHOOSE DONE AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE.
onetimeinitializer.apk
setup.apk
gmail.apk
maps.apk
talk.apk
vending.apk

Upon reboot I let the tablet fully cycle the sd card checks and all that, once I swiped to unlock the home screen, I was met with a decision asking whether to use Launcher, of Setup Wizard to complete the action.

4. I then opened the google market, signed in with my gmail account and once it had synced my device with the google servers (yes WIFI must be on and connected, I had to say it because you just never know) I had access to the market.

I have downloaded a few apps and have had no problems, it is an older version of the market and I don't have market updater installed, but I may try that later.

I have also noticed when looking in the account and sync area, it will sync my gmail, but not my contacts or calender, I will have to look at that later as well.

Hope this helps

Was Able to root my wife's T408 as well with gingerbreak and have market 3.3.4 running on it now.

First I installed apps in the order you did had done. The version of Market is dated for sure but I was able to update to 2.2.6 via the stock OI File Explorer. Anything later then that seemed to crash. I then used SU & File Explorer to r/w the /system/apps/ folder , moved the newer 3.3.4 Market APK there and installed from that location along with a system reboot. Once rebooted the new market showed up right away. Only issue is some apps list as not compatible with device but having my wife use her Sidekick 4g to download and back up the app and email it to her tablet Netflix , Firefox , and many others ran with no issue even with Market saying not compatible.

Last edited:

cjggilbert

Dec 16, 2010
Salt Lake City
Was Able to root my wife's T408 as well with gingerbreak and have market 3.3.4 running on it now.

First I installed apps in the order you did had done. The version of Market is dated for sure but I was able to update to 2.2.6 via the stock OI File Explorer. Anything later then that seemed to crash. I then used SU & File Explorer to r/w the /system/apps/ folder , moved the newer 3.3.4 Market APK there and installed from that location along with a system reboot. Once rebooted the new market showed up right away. Only issue is some apps list as not compatible with device but having my wife use her Sidekick 4g to download and back up the app and email it to her tablet Netflix , Firefox , and many others ran with no issue even with Market saying not compatible.

I have noticed that as well. Seems like since the Market added the ability for apps to be device specific that alot of apps don't show up for devices that aren't supported. I am playing a little with the build.prop file and when I get it correct I will let you know. Even root explorer would not show up in the market, but I purchased it from amazon and Im using it to drop apps into place.

MRB99

May 5, 2009
Android Market - I used the JGM ROM, rooted with z4root, and had blank Market. Accessing market via laptop showed my Cruz listed, but no serial number. Gave up, but then by luck a week later, I went to the Market on my laptop, found an App and selected my Cruz as the device to download it to. 2 hours later, sure enough the Market was working, and that select app downloaded.

It almost seems like you have to prime the market first for the Cruz via a computer...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Market on Cruz Velocity T410

UPDATE:

onetimeinitializer.apk
    setup.apk
    gmail.apk
    maps.apk
    talk.apk
    vending.apk

Hope this helps
    Anyone else has this device yet? I have been hacking this but no Marketplace. Any takers?
    Don't waste your money on this tablet. They have better ones with ICS 4.0.3, USB, HDMI, custom ROMs and 10/100 ethernet! (i.e. Zenithink ZT-282 C91 for about $140'ish) and for $50 more you can get the C97 which is a dual-core 1.5Ghz version but doesn't have ethernet or USB.

I have the C91 and regret buying the Cruz T410..! It was all bull that Velocity Micro was working on an ICS update for the T4xx series tablet. I asked their customer support and they said they have no intentions in upgrading (of course, they are pushing their new T5xx series tables!)