3,117 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,927

By SteelH, Senior Member on 11th September 2010, 03:31 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
31st December 2010, 04:47 PM |#151  
Flag Jefferson City, MO
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Sounds like a similar problem I had. Are you copying the new file with something like root explorer? You have to push it to the phone with adb. I was told to do it while in recovery but adb doesn't seem to work in recovery on my phone. Instead I went into root explorer, found the folder and mounted as r/w. You can do this step in adb but it was simpler for me this way since I don't do it often and didn't remember the command to mount as r/w. Then I went to my pc and pushed the file with adb. Then reboot. It will take a while to boot that first time but hopefully no more FCs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Spacen Ad-Free

31st December 2010, 06:39 PM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 448

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacen

Sounds like a similar problem I had. Are you copying the new file with something like root explorer? You have to push it to the phone with adb. I was told to do it while in recovery but adb doesn't seem to work in recovery on my phone. Instead I went into root explorer, found the folder and mounted as r/w. You can do this step in adb but it was simpler for me this way since I don't do it often and didn't remember the command to mount as r/w. Then I went to my pc and pushed the file with adb. Then reboot. It will take a while to boot that first time but hopefully no more FCs.

That's exactly what I did! I moved files with Root Explorer because it was more convenient. I will try with ADB and report back. Thanks a lot for helping!

Edit: That did it!! Boot is faster now. I used the HBoot driver, Clockwork, and ADB but it didn't work. Although ADB showed that the file was copied, it was not. I then installed the HTC driver, mounted as RW, pushed via ADB and voila! I would hit the "Thanks" button twice if I could. You saved me from having to rebuild my phone.
3rd January 2011, 12:11 AM |#153  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman

That's exactly what I did! I moved files with Root Explorer because it was more convenient. I will try with ADB and report back. Thanks a lot for helping!

Edit: That did it!! Boot is faster now. I used the HBoot driver, Clockwork, and ADB but it didn't work. Although ADB showed that the file was copied, it was not. I then installed the HTC driver, mounted as RW, pushed via ADB and voila! I would hit the "Thanks" button twice if I could. You saved me from having to rebuild my phone.

Word of advice... NEVER, I mean NEVER, copy/move files around in /system/framework/ with rootexplorer. You will quickly enjoy an unending barrage of FCs if you do so. It's like trying to swap the engine of a car while it's running... Don't expect favorable results.

When you boot into recovery mode to perform the ADB push/pull commands to try new system/framework/ files, be sure to mount the system partition FIRST using the following command:

Code:
adb shell
mount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit
After doing that, I HIGHLY recommend you rename your original file (see example of how to do so below) before copying over a new one. This way if your screwed up the MOD, you can easily revert back by deleting the new file and renaming the old file back. It's much quicker than a full nandroid!
For example let's say you are going to use a new services.jar

Code:
adb shell
cd /system/framework
mv services.jar services.jar.original
exit
Now issue your adb push/pull commands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SteelH Ad-Free
3rd January 2011, 03:07 AM |#154  
Thanks Meter: 448

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelH

It's like trying to swap the engine of a car while it's running...

Great analogy and thank you for the explainations. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Not going to make that mistake again! Cheers.
3rd January 2011, 03:27 AM |#155  
Flag Berkeley, Ca
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This is great. Thanks!
4th January 2011, 03:22 AM |#156  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy help
I am currently rooted unrevoked .. not sure if it matters or not

I simply want to delete the icons off my status bar to give the status bar a cleaner look..

i have tried every ones instructions, but i cant seem to get it to work.
can some one please walk me threw it, i would highly appreciate it..

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
6th January 2011, 03:09 PM |#157  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 3,364

More
searched with root explorer and could not fined services.jar /confused
6th January 2011, 05:34 PM |#158  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyNutz

searched with root explorer and could not fined services.jar /confused

services.jar is located in /system/framework/
8th January 2011, 08:41 PM |#159  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
[QUOTE=SteelH;8104559]7. HOW-TO hide the clock

First of all, all credit goes to pardonmyfreedom for this method! He posted this MOD for the Droid Incredible, I tested it on the EVO. Thanks buddy!

This reference assumes that you already know how to recompile a framework file using smali/baksmali.

This method will not take up space on in your status bar (This means the other icons will shift to the right and not leave a blank spot).

This guide is a reference for the smali code changes that must be made inside of services.jar to hide the CLOCK.

You need to edit StatusBarPolicy.smali, which is located within services.jar under com/android/server/status.

Search and find the following code:
Code:
    .line 574
invoke-direct {p0}, Lcom/android/server/status/StatusBarPolicy;->updateClock()V
and replace it with:

Code:
.line 574

invoke-virtual {p2, v3, v6}, Lcom/android/server/status/StatusBarService;->setIconVisibility(Landroid/os/IBinder;Z)V

UPDATE: In v3.70, its .line 575 instead of .line 574

__________________________________________________ _________________

Question, Under "replace it with", what should it look like once replaced?
Code:
.line 574

invoke-virtual {p2, v3, v6}, Lcom/android/server/status/StatusBarService;->setIconVisibility(Landroid/os/IBinder;Z)V
^^like this^^
Code:
.line 574
^^or this^^
9th January 2011, 02:22 AM |#160  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 47

Donate to Me
More
thank for this info I was pulling my hair out untii Came across this post now my phone is just the way want thanks to all
16th January 2011, 11:12 AM |#161  
Flag Livermore, CA
Thanks Meter: 10

More
just wondering if these commands would work on a Vibrant?
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps, hide, icon, remove icons, reticle, status, status bar
Previous Thread Next Thread