TomTom and other GPS software

Search This thread

sp4rky

Mar 9, 2006
Edmond, Oklahoma
GPS Software Ideas - T-Mobile Dash

Im in desperate need to find a good GPS program that works with the Dash. My bluetooth GPS receiver came in today but I need to find a GPS program.

I have searched this site, and well the Search sucks and returned about 2 or 3 things pertaining to GPS Software.

Anyone got some ideas?

Last edited:

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
Im in desperate need to find a good GPS program that works with the Dash. My bluetooth program came in today but I need to find a GPS program.

I have searched this site, and well the Search sucks and returned about 2 or 3 things pertaining to GPS Software.

Anyone got some ideas?

I am not sure of what are you asking for. What is "bluetooth program" you are referring to? TomTom 6 works on SP.

sp4rky

Mar 9, 2006
Edmond, Oklahoma
I won't lie, I've been trying to install several pirated version of it today. And it just doesn't seem to work. The closest of my attempts has been when TomTom opened up then asked for configurations then told me TomTom is not compatible with this device. Sigh. Gladly I didn't go out a buy it before trying it.

vmiguel

Feb 8, 2006
Lisbon, Portugal
And what makes you think that a paid product will not work, just for trying it's pirated version???

I'm no saint, also tried out several pirated GPS software, AFTER I bought R66.

R66 always performed to the standarts, while all the others gave some kind of problem. I succed to make some work, but it's just too much trouble... for me, anyway.

I would advice to question the software development houses, regarding compatibity issues with your device, just to be on the safe, but I don't see why a comercial, legal version would not work correctly.

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
I won't lie, I've been trying to install several pirated version of it today. And it just doesn't seem to work. The closest of my attempts has been when TomTom opened up then asked for configurations then told me TomTom is not compatible with this device. Sigh. Gladly I didn't go out a buy it before trying it.

I can assure you that TT 6 works just fine on Excalibur. Retail product I mean. Certain cracked version also works, but I advice against it since developers deserve to be rewarded for their hard work.

sp4rky

Mar 9, 2006
Edmond, Oklahoma
I can assure you that TT 6 works just fine on Excalibur. Retail product I mean. Certain cracked version also works, but I advice against it since developers deserve to be rewarded for their hard work.

I agree, but you can bet your ass im not shelling out that much to find out it doesn't work. I've tried several TT6 and TT5, and for some reason it says not compatible for this device. I will take your word on it though and take TT6 into consideration with Route 66 Mobile 7.

Vmiguel, do you have R66 Mobile 7 on a Dash? I've been looking at buying this. Also If you do, I read that it comes with MiniSD/SD but the Dash uses Micro SD. Are you able to install from the DVD to micro sd?

Im particularly looking for a good GPS Software that I can download online and pay for. But if I have to I can order it.

Last edited:

Manzil

Jul 8, 2006
Santa Monica
TomTom 6

I've been trying to locate TomTom6; however, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Amazon says "Coming Soon" -- as does the tomtom.com website. Is this product available in the U.S. yet (European version seems to be shipping, though...)

Also, does the bluetooth receiver included in the package need an external power source, or is it battery powered?

The online materials don't mention compatibility with the T-Mobile Dash specifically...

Thanks!

sp4rky

Mar 9, 2006
Edmond, Oklahoma
I've been trying to locate TomTom6; however, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Amazon says "Coming Soon" -- as does the tomtom.com website. Is this product available in the U.S. yet (European version seems to be shipping, though...)

Also, does the bluetooth receiver included in the package need an external power source, or is it battery powered?

The online materials don't mention compatibility with the T-Mobile Dash specifically...

Thanks!

Yeah, I noticed you could order TomTom 5 from TomTom.com but TomTom 6 didn't have a purchase option.

I already have a bluetooth GPS receiver, so I am seriosuly thinking I might just order Route 66 Mobile 7 WMS.

If you guys know of any other compatable GPS software please post it.

Manzil

Jul 8, 2006
Santa Monica
Copilot Live

Has anyone tried Copilot Live? I read some reviews that seemed to recommend the product -- and it's a lot easier to find than Route 66.

Also, anyone have some thoughts in general about using a smartphone (such as our beloved Dash) for GPS navigation as opposed to just buying a dedicatd unit?

Thanks!

Manzil

Jul 8, 2006
Santa Monica
Another GPS Question...

Here's one more question. Can all of these packages be installed on a Micro SD card and run from there? Or does the main app have to be installed in phone memory? It seems these apps take a significant amount of space (6 Megs for Copilot Live, 16 Megs for Route66, etc.), so it would be a shame to be forced to install them in phone memory...

Thanks!

Last edited:

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
I'll get my Excalibur in couple of hours and will post some impressions and screen shots.

ID64

Oct 1, 2003

I HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO ALL.

TomTom does not work on Smartphone. It installs fine, but then there is no possibility to pick correct com port and keyboard pressing does not correspond properly. :(

sp4rky

Mar 9, 2006
Edmond, Oklahoma
OK, I just ordered Route66 online from their shop. I'll let you know how is it after it arrives - within next week or so.

Here is the link:

http://66.com/route66/products.php?cid=CA-en

I got TomTom 5 working but like you said the keyboard doesn't work right so I can't type in Addresses. But Im like you, I will be getting Route 66 soon. Be sure and let us all know how it works, im interested.

rastip

Apr 24, 2006
Pezinok
iGO - GPS software, that works!

I got TomTom 5 working but like you said the keyboard doesn't work right so I can't type in Addresses. But Im like you, I will be getting Route 66 soon. Be sure and let us all know how it works, im interested.

You have to try iGO 2006. This is very nice and easy software. Works for me and as original is pre installed on Mini SD, so it should work on any PDA's.

Check there web: http://www.i-go.com/en/

I love it, has lot of countries and even details on Ireland.

jrue

Oct 30, 2006
Berkeley, CA
mapopolis

I like mapopolis. It has GPS support, street-by-street driving instructions (with voice prompt), business and place-of-interest look up, etc.

So, if you're wondering in and about a different neighborhood, you can click on the businesses and it will give you their telephone number/location, etc. You can also look up driving directions via address (like mapquest) etc.

It's works great for the pocket PC -- smartphone (like the dash) i suspect is so-so. I've used it on the mx220, and without a touch screen it's just O.K.

The cons would be their web site interface. You pay $99 for unlimited downloads of individual counties in regions of the United States. Since a state like California has 58 counties, (58 separate maps) that's a lot of downloading time. They have an option to just buy an SD card with all the maps on it, but the dash doesn't use SD. (plus it costs more).

However the pros: Trial download. (I think 10 days?). Give it a shot, see if you like it, it uninstalls pretty nicely too.

http://www.mapopolis.com