FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF][Sticky][Must See][First Time XDA][4" Across][Deepest Blacks][Hardest Glass]

266 posts
Thanks Meter: 210

By plapczyn, Retired Recognized Developer on 8th January 2011, 06:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th January 2011, 09:18 AM |#11  
Flag Omaha, NE
Thanks Meter: 8

More
ok, i just flashed lesson 3, and now my bluetooth vibrator won't pair. any suggestions?

seriously, though, thanks. this will be a good resource.

8th January 2011, 10:12 AM |#12  
Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 21

More
this is awesome. For me the best way for me to search is Google. I ask my question then put xda at the end. Always works. Working on starting my development skills. Its a long road but I'm ready. Again thanks for writing this. I don't do dev work but it gets old for me seeing the same thing again and again.

Sent from my Epic 4G
Rom: Never stock, but always with some Gingerbread.
8th January 2011, 10:14 AM |#13  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,775

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plapczyn

I feel the same way. I'm more than happy to point people in the right direction, but part of learning how to ride a bike is taking off the training wheels. I do feel like it is the moderators and experienced developers that should be held responsible for giving people the tools they need to to be successful, and making it a good experience. As much as I want to post RTFM and GIYF to pretty much 99% of the posts on here because I know that I could have found it with a clever search query, not everybody has that experience, and people are coming from a lot of different skill levels. If the experienced members don't at least make a token effort to set people up to succeed, then we are just making it hard/frustrating on everyone, including ourselves.

I agree with everything you said, other than it being the responsibility of the mods to give people the tools they need...

Don't own an Epic, don't live in a continent where you can buy or use one... But I can do things like perma-stickying a link to the wiki in general and dev, so it will sit above all other stickies for all time... Just added that today.

We need to encourage more people to use the wiki. This guide is really good, but ultimately might form a good part of a "new user guide" in there for the Epic. Someone can make a new page, and link to it from the Epic page, and we're half way there... If there's a good guide, make it into wiki markup and shove it in there.

Experienced developers might help a bit, but the ball is in your court, as in the users... I remember before I started to dev, writing guides on how to do various things. The best hero guides were written by someone who is neither a mod or dev. That same guide is the one recommended over a year after it was first written (updated of course)

If someone makes a new page for new users of the Epic in the wiki, let me know and I'll change my redirect links to go to it.
8th January 2011, 10:16 AM |#14  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,775

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenapollo

this is awesome. For me the best way for me to search is Google. I ask my question then put xda at the end. Always works. Working on starting my development skills. Its a long road but I'm ready. Again thanks for writing this. I don't do dev work but it gets old for me seeing the same thing again and again.

Sent from my Epic 4G
Rom: Never stock, but always with some Gingerbread.

Or you can use the search box next to "search by device and manufacturer". It just does a "site:xda-developers.com QUERY" pretty much. It's a good resource too, as mentioned in the OP, and I think it can search the wiki too iirc (it can btw)
8th January 2011, 10:37 AM |#15  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 415

Donate to Me
More
Excellent. Let's see how this helps the noob problems, and then maybe just maybe I'll come back someday...

Sent from Carl Sagan through the Cosmos
8th January 2011, 11:50 AM |#16  
Flag Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Thanks for this thoughtful course. I agree it should be mandatory. I would love to see the respect restored and noise reduced...
8th January 2011, 12:12 PM |#17  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Excellent effort!

My only fear is that there will be people who will jump in right away without reading this. Fundamentally, the reason why there are duplicate threads is because people have short attention spans and are unwilling to spend 5 minutes to search XDA or Google their problems.

We're gonna need a solution for that. I would be willing to contribute a step by step guide for ROM flashing, but it may be subject to the same problem above.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
8th January 2011, 12:25 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Talking EXCELLENT!!!
Very nicely arranged.

Just one other point, it is the "RESPONSIBILITY" of the reader/owner to complete his 'due diligence' of reading/research.
8th January 2011, 01:14 PM |#19  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Gainesville, Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,426

Donate to Me
More
Note to self, sticky this and copy to glacier forum.

8th January 2011, 01:38 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryemotionz

This is great and thank you for taking your time to educate.

I'm willing to help and teach others my tricks of the trade but I will not hold your hands. Same goes for alot of other devs. Me personally I spend a couple hours a day on xda trying to help out as much as I can buy it became very repetative to point I'm in s transitanial state of leaving.

It is just sad that I had to make a thread dating my final good byes and no people are finally working towards a change. lets get this **** organized and it would be a better experience for everyone

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

This is all for you mysteryemotons! When you made your thread saying you were leaving everyone first cried, then began to do anything to get you to stay.

/sarcasm

I think your ego is ballooning to dangerous levels. Your contributons are great but the XDA Epic forums do not revolve around you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haas599 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haas599 Ad-Free
8th January 2011, 01:50 PM |#21  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Thanks, OP. I hope this helps, but I doubt it will.

I encourage you to have the mods lock down this thread unless you're making changes. There's is no reason to have 50 pages of retarded replies, and as you can see, it's about to turn into yet another bickering match. Stickies are not effective if they're followed by eight zillion posts that the noob is gonna read, thus pushing all of the good info out of his limited-capacity feeble-minded brain.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, ref, sticky

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)